Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can Universal Music force Axl to release an album?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can Universal Music force Axl to release an album?  (Read 3442 times)
RichardNixon
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:35:33 PM »

Any lawyers or law student's responses would be appreciated.

How long can Axl Rose wait? Can he hold off on "Chinese Democracy" indefinitely? Or can the suits at the label seize the master-tapes at the studio and release it? Could the record label argue that, as they have poured millions into the project and not received anything they have a mandate over ownership of the tapes?

As a fan, do you think this would be a good thing? Would you rather have (a) no "Chinese Democracy" ever or (b) a forced "Chinese Democracy" being released without Axl's approval.

I have to be honest here. I'd rather have b. I know it's incredibly selfish and not right to Axl, but I so want to hear the album. Hopefully it would never come to that.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 07:42:29 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:39:44 PM »

For the 989898934738th time, Sanctuary is the management company.

Universal Music is the record company.

It was even mentioned in the press release from Sanctuary how Axl had recorded material for Universal Music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »

Then can Universal force Axl to release the album?
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 07:42:08 PM »

Don't you think they would've done it already if they could?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »

I have no idea.

I know record companies sometimes do that, but since they decided to release Greatest Hits a year ago, I'm wondering if they can put out CD without Axl's approval.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 07:45:06 PM »

I believe they can force an album's release if the band is under an actual contract to release that specific album. I also agree with you on rather having it forced into the stores rather than have another decade of delays.

RichardNixon
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »

Maybe the "Greatest Hits" bought Axl some time. I'm wondering if this can go on forever or if one day the suits might just seize the tapes, nitpick over the best tracks, hire someone to do the final mixing/mastering, and release it.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:49:44 PM »

It seems like if there was the possibility that they could release the album without Axl's consent, he would release it himself just for the sake of being in control.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »

If axl has turned CD over the label then they can release it whenever. If not, i'm sure he is keeping the masters in his own possession til he's ready. With a court order though, the label can force anything it wants.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 10:29:50 PM »

I was going to say, the label might not have the masters, but they can/would serve Axl with a court order to either turn over the masters, or a check for 13 million dollars if he wants to keep them for himself.  One way or another, the label will get a return on their investment.

I would venture to say the reason they have not forced him to relinquish the material yet is that they are holding out hope he will actually follow through on finishing the album and touring behind it and promote it. Were they to get into a situation where they unwillfully obtain the material from him, it will be a point of no return for the label. At that point you will have the record with no intent of the band or singer to promote it, not a good way to make money or maximize exposure. So I think they will continue to let him dawdle until they decide he has no intention of actually releasing it, or they just want to the material and are going to release it with or without his consent. 
Crowebar
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 01:07:31 AM »

The Record Company could probably do whatever the fuck they want to do, as they have all the money in the world.

They don't have as much money as Benny Hinn or Bill Gates but they definitely have tons more money than Axl could ever hope to have.

I think they are letting Axl take his sweet ass time and do what he wants.

Which is to release the album(s) on his terms and only when he feels it's the right time. confused
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 03:42:08 AM »

It all depends on the contract signed between both parts and eventually, the judge's interpretation on the issue.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 08:43:27 AM »

as all or at least the most of the people on this forum, I`d prefer to see axl release it, but if that`s not the case i prefer a forced CD to no CD.

But i think there`s no way for a forced CD except when Axl was running out of cash, but I don?t think that we`ll see that ever happen. If  Universal`d want to release CD without Axl wanting this, it`s total out of question imo. Axl would fight with his life against that.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 08:55:36 AM »

I think the general assumpion is that there is conflict between Axl and his label and that the label are putting pressure on him to finish CD. If this was the case Axl/GN'R would've been dropped a long time ago or Axl would've upped sticks.

I'm sure the label are happy to let Axl do his thing because they know a record is on the way and it's not like its not going to be a sucess when it does surface. 
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 08:57:49 AM »

How can you release or force to release a non-finished album? Huh

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 12:42:40 PM »

How can you release or force to release a non-finished album? Huh

My assumptions is that they would complete it themselves.

It seems like the only thing we are waiting for is mixing and mastering. So the label would sieze the tapes then mix and master them on their own terms and rush it out for sale. It's probably a good idea for them to do that soon if they have the legal ground to do so. Think about it, the press created from the siezure would probably create more album sales in the first month or so than if they just finish and release it.

gnrkoncerti
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 01:39:14 PM »

no way
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 01:40:03 PM »

It seems like the only thing we are waiting for is mixing and mastering. So the label would sieze the tapes then mix and master them on their own terms and rush it out for sale. It's probably a good idea for them to do that soon if they have the legal ground to do so. Think about it, the press created from the siezure would probably create more album sales in the first month or so than if they just finish and release it.

Kinda like the course of GH. If that was the case, the label wouldn't even need to force the musician to release anything.
BTW "to record dozens of new songs for Universal" doesn't necessary mean "to leave the recording in  Universal's hands", does it?

Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 05:23:28 PM »

Well doesnt Axl own all the rights to GnR? so I dont imagine they could release anything without him saying so.

Shit, as much as I hate that he's taking so long I think thats a great deal he cut for himself. He basically pimped the industry (forgive me for using hip hop dialect), they release it when he says so.
Way to go Axl  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 07:12:34 PM »

No.

I'm wondering if they can put out CD without Axl's approval.
/jarmo

They would have to have CD in the first place, and if they did they'd have done it already. I think Axl is the only one with any access to whatever new material he's making, and until it goes on record or someone steals it, copyright belongs to him alone.

Short of breaking into his house and stealing blue prints, the record co can't do anything.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: