Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:25:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Did Axl learn a lesson from Def Leppard?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Axl learn a lesson from Def Leppard?  (Read 3089 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« on: March 02, 2005, 06:56:44 PM »

I was listening to Def Leppard's greatest hits a few days ago and thought of something that could be a reason for the long delay of CD. As some of you will remember, Def Leppard was one of the most popular bands in the world during the same time period that GNR ruled the world. Def Leppard did some of the same things GNR did during this time. There would be on average a 4 to 5 year wait between blockbuster albums. And on each of those albums would be several hit singles. And when the GNR era ended in late 93-early 94, something strange occured over the next few years with the OTHER big band at the time,Def Leppard. After Def Leppard's hit album 'Adrenalize' in 92, rock fans were eagerly awaiting their next release. In 1995, Def Leppard released their greatest hits album. I don't know the sales for the album,but considering it had all their good songs on it, I'm sure it did very well. And then a year later,in 1996, Def Leppard released their long awaited follow up called 'Slang'. This new album was COMPLETELY ignored by all music fans and media as well. The album basically ended Def Leppard's career. I'm sure Axl was watching this strange turn of events, and it probably scared the living shit out of him. To see one of the biggest bands in rock history become irrelevant basically overnight. Maybe this is why  CD has been delayed for going on a decade. Maybe he is afraid of his project being completely ignored by the entire planet. I don't think he should worry about that happening, but the idea has had to cross Axl's mind at some point. Instead of the possibility of CD not existing(which is a possibility), maybe Axl is just worried about possibly becoming the next Def Leppard.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »

I don't think Axl gives a fuck about Def Leppard.

If there's something he has learned, it's that the music industry has changed a lot since Use Your Illusion I and II were released....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 07:25:48 PM »

I didn't say Axl "gave a fuck" about Def Leppard. I was just wondering if he had learned a lesson from a band that was in a similar situation 8 years ago that Axl is in now.

RichardNixon
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 07:26:10 PM »

Def Leppard chose to release a greatest hits album, Axl Rose did not.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 07:27:12 PM »

Guns N' Roses<---> Deff Leppard?? Give me a break..
It's not the same world at all. these 2 bands aren't in the same league. GN'R is legendary, deff leppard is not. It's just a has-been "hair-band" of the 80's ala posion or motley crue. Guns N' Roses is another league, that's why they went so big in the world. And exept USA, deff leppard naver had that much success. All these "hair-bands" of the 80's (motley crue, cinderella, poison, deff leppard etc...) were just successfull in the USA. The rest of the world absolutely didn't care...never ever. It was just specific to the USA.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 07:32:46 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 07:29:03 PM »

I didn't say Axl "gave a fuck" about Def Leppard. I was just wondering if he had learned a lesson from a band that was in a similar situation 8 years ago that Axl is in now.

How could he learn something from a band he doesn't care about?

Axl said it himself, he's doing something that has never really been done before. So, how can he be learning from Def Leppard?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 07:49:47 PM »

The reason he could learn something from them is because in one albums time Def Leppard went from being on the charts to being nothing. I wasn't saying Def Leppard is as good as GNR. Obviously they're not!!

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 08:02:44 PM »

The reason he could learn something from them is because in one albums time Def Leppard went from being on the charts to being nothing.

I think 1 new tune in 14 years took care of that.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 08:08:24 PM »

The reason he could learn something from them is because in one albums time Def Leppard went from being on the charts to being nothing.

I don't see that at all. "Oh My God" did not torpedo Axl's career like Van Halen 3 did for VH, or MC94 for the Crue, or KISS with "Music From The Elder." But even if it did, an artist can release a cluncker and still comeback. If a band/singer is good, the fans are forgiving.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:13:22 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »

I think that Axl looks at Def Leppard the same way he looks at bands like Motley Crue and Warrant...they both put out records (Motley Crue and Dog Eat Dog) that were largely ignored by the general public, even as hardcore fans said they were pretty good.  The same happened with Def Leppard and Slang, which many fans regard as a good album.

Here's the thing, though.  One of the reasons Guns N' Roses are still so legendary is because they never had a chance to go bad in the eyes of their fans.  Whereas these bands above put out challenging records that flopped, at least they tried.  Unlike Axl.  Maybe he's afraid that a new record has a possibility of tainting the GN'R legacy.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 08:43:41 PM »

I don't see that at all. "Oh My God" did not torpedo Axl's career like Van Halen 3 did for VH, or MC94 for the Crue, or KISS with "Music From The Elder." But even if it did, an artist can release a cluncker and still comeback. If a band/singer is good, the fans are forgiving.

Not the song itself, just the lack of new material in general..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
WAR?
Opening Act

And If I Want Too Many Things...

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 08:46:12 PM »

Ok, couple of things. Def Leppard, while a huge band at one time, was NEVER iconic, like GNR were and countinue to be.
So the apparent similarities between the two aren't as important as they may seem.

I think our reclusive friend has learned a great deal from "Oh My God" and the cancelled tour as well as the now seemingly changing world of popular music. One, "I can't keep pulling this crazy primadonna shit I used to, because I don't rule the rock world anymore." Two, "Ok, I wrote November Rain and lead in the creation of just about all of GNR's biggest hits. Maybe, I should lossen up and make the kind of music people have come to love and expect from me. Besides, with Rock coming back the way it has in the last two years, it may be time."

Like any good businessman/artist, Axl knows that a great deal of his band's success is contingent on a market that exhibits a demand for the genre his music falls into. Besides, with VR's success and contunued growth, an interesting pop culture phenomenon is shaping up. It's evident in many parts of this (excelent) board and site. The fued. "GNR VS VR". We are so given to factionalizing when it comes to music ala "my shit is better than your shit" and propagate a culture of such harsh critcism when it comes to music, that a market starved for the drama is now ready for Chinese Democracy to open up at the sound of the bell for round 2. Can't wait. Long live rock and Guns N' Roses!
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 08:50:49 PM »

Excatly what Funeral said. If Def Leppard could write another 'Pyromania' they would have a career. If there was a flat out bias against has-beens, Aerosmith never would have come back the way they did. If you can write songs that sell, the record people will love you. The stuff Leppard put out after their '87 record has been ass-awful.... "let's get the rock outta here"? They need riffs and choruses. I think both of those left with Steve Clark. If Axl has some hits, even some pretty good songs, I think all indications are that Merck, Sanctuary, et al will push the hell out of them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:53:19 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 08:53:58 PM »

I find it incredible how some people seem to forget one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) rock n' roll comeback story of all time...from a band that IS in the same league as GN'R and is, in fact, one of their largest influences...that band being Aerosmith.

These guys were SOOOOOO F'd up, then broke up, put out shit albums like Rock in a Hard Place and Done With Mirrors and then, after they reunited and got clean, came back to kick even more ass than their first time around. Granted, the bad boys of boston have since become mighty commercial and have sold out on more than one occassion, but, as the Steven Tyler himself has said, the popularity and monies earned from such hits as I Don't Want to Miss a Thing and Jaded have allowed them to put out something very old school and non-commercial ala Honkin' on Bobo and Joe Perry's latest forthcoming solo album.

Although there are some distinct differences in the situations, I think Aerosmith's story gives GN'R fans a good deal of hope. Maybe not hope for a reunion, but hope that Axl can produce a solid album and rise above the hype and damnation of the media and jaded fans to once again, take hold of the reigns of rock n' roll for another decade or two.

Even though I'll admit to Def Leppard being a guilty pleasure of mine (child of the 80s in the U.S...can't help it), Def Leppard are certainly NOT in the same league as Aerosmith or Guns N' Roses.

In short...no.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 10:39:52 PM »

Although there are some distinct differences in the situations, I think Aerosmith's story gives GN'R fans a good deal of hope. Maybe not hope for a reunion, but hope that Axl can produce a solid album and rise above the hype and damnation of the media and jaded fans to once again, take hold of the reigns of rock n' roll for another decade or two

I doubt Aerosmith ever gets back to the point they are if it were just Steven Tyler and a whole new crew behind him. Part of their allure during their comeback was all of the problems they had and overcame, and that you still had Perry and Tyler together. They were both icons.

Not saying GNR can't be successful with just Axl, but the Aerosmith example doesn't work for Gnr's situation as it is essentially an entirely new band. Aerosmith still had Tyler and Perry together, so there was no riff that would perpetually serperate their fans the way the Axl/Slash parting will.
RichardNixon
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 11:38:17 PM »

Excatly what Funeral said. If Def Leppard could write another 'Pyromania' they would have a career. If there was a flat out bias against has-beens, Aerosmith never would have come back the way they did. If you can write songs that sell, the record people will love you. The stuff Leppard put out after their '87 record has been ass-awful.... "let's get the rock outta here"? They need riffs and choruses. I think both of those left with Steve Clark. If Axl has some hits, even some pretty good songs, I think all indications are that Merck, Sanctuary, et al will push the hell out of them.

I'd take any Def Leppard album 1992+ over anything Aerosupply has done.
Crowebar
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 12:30:11 AM »

I don't think Axl gives a fuck about Def Leppard.

/jarmo

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nervous confused

You fucking crack me up jarmo. yes ok beer smoking peace
dENIS
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 04:34:16 AM »

When Chinese Democracy out there be so many critics and shit over Axl`s head. Some of us maybe never bye new album, other love it at first side but GNR will go on no matter happens. Jarmo is right when he says since UYI 1&2 rock music is change a few times. Def Leppard break becouse of Slang but don`t forget they do this album quickly and thats why album is total falure - immagine AC/DC playing industrial - this is ridiculous. The diference between Def and Guns is - 10 years Leppard do the same record - almost equal songs and guitar solos - i still mix up some of songs from Adrenalize and Histeria - don`t get me wrong Def was a big band but thats all - GNr have only 3 albums but they are totaly diferent - even UYI 1 and UIY 2 was release the same time they sound diferent. I don`t think Axl afraid for what people will say - he knows what will happen when CD is out. He will be prepared. Chinese Democracy will totaly new album musicaly and be hard to compare with old GNR albums.
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 04:51:29 AM »

Def Leppard? Come on man...do we really need these kind of posts?

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 06:18:31 AM »

Hopefully he learned how NOT to make an album!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

...Come on. Someone had to say it.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: