Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:29:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Paul Huge question
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Huge question  (Read 8211 times)
esox
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: February 28, 2005, 06:34:16 AM »

just bought the greatest hits from GN'r and noticed that Paul Huge played guitar on Sympathy for the devil. That song was recorded in 1994. I thought Giolby still was part of the band in 1994? Can anyone explain this to me?

esox
anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:52:07 AM »

No Gilby left for some reason and Axl brought in Paul.  Apparently the rest of the band didn't like it and it was one of the main reason Slash left.

dangnr
Headliner

My babys gotta locomotive

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 08:02:48 AM »

thats why paul is considered the Yoko Ono of Guns N Roses
usurper
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:29:25 AM »

No Gilby left for some reason and Axl brought in Paul.? Apparently the rest of the band didn't like it and it was one of the main reason Slash left.

Gilby did not leave, he was fired because he commented about Axl and when Axl read it he flipped out and fired Gilby. I don't see why the band hated Paul so much, c'mon, he played on parts, he is talented in the fact that he can play rhythm. I just think they felt insecure about themselves and Paul was the scapegoat for all their problems and frustrations.
azazello
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 11:38:19 AM »

No Gilby left for some reason and Axl brought in Paul.  Apparently the rest of the band didn't like it and it was one of the main reason Slash left.

Gilby did not leave, he was fired because he commented about Axl and when Axl read it he flipped out and fired Gilby. I don't see why the band hated Paul so much, c'mon, he played on parts, he is talented in the fact that he can play rhythm. I just think they felt insecure about themselves and Paul was the scapegoat for all their problems and frustrations.

They hated him b/c both SLash and Duff thought he was not a good guitar player, but what is more important, Axl brought him in and recorded his parts w/out asking anyone's opinion. And that suxx indeed, imho.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 12:35:57 PM »

They hated him b/c both SLash and Duff thought he was not a good guitar player, but what is more important, Axl brought him in and recorded his parts w/out asking anyone's opinion. And that suxx indeed, imho.

Yeah and according to Axl, they had no suggestions for a replacement for Gilby.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 02:33:05 PM »

fuck off!  Paul was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.  The guy stood by Axl for a long ass time, which is more then you can say about the old bandmates. 
usurper
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »

fuck off!? Paul was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.? The guy stood by Axl for a long ass time, which is more then you can say about the old bandmates.?

Too true
azazello
Opening Act

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 02:48:23 PM »

Yeah and according to Axl, they had no suggestions for a replacement for Gilby.
/jarmo

Well, since they did not want him fired... Smiley
azazello
Opening Act

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 02:50:14 PM »

fuck off!  Paul was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.  The guy stood by Axl for a long ass time, which is more then you can say about the old bandmates. 

I think it is definitely bad for Axl to be surrounded with those 'yes-men' even he thinks they are his friends. If someone tells you you are badly mistaken, they are not necessarily your enemies.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 02:52:55 PM by azazello » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 02:53:58 PM »

I think it is definitely bad for Axl to be surrounded with those 'yes-men' even he thinks they are his friends. If someone tells you you are badly mistaken, they are not necessarily your enemy.

you know whats good for axl?  confused  Paul has been friends with Axl for a long fuckin time.  He was a lot like Izzy to Axl.   He's a good guitarist and a great friend. 

"Without Paul, there would be no Guns N' Roses'" Axl Rose, Rock In Rio III

I think the guy deserves respect.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 04:13:51 PM »

As for the gilby situation, he has zero writing credits for GNR. He was hired to be a fill-in for Izzy. He grasped the songs quickly and was a solid player.

Then, there was no activity in the camp for a foreseeable while and he was let go. There was probably no intention of keeping him around to begin with.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 04:38:53 PM »

Sorry to say that but Huge cannot play guitar, he was only Axl's yes-man (Beggars and Hangers-on...) who was brought to the band to have another guy (beside Dizzy) who sticks with Axl whatever the Redhead wants to do. In a band musicians can decide if they want to play with someone - but Axl thought that it was his band or, what's even worse, he came with Huge to kill the band.

And for that Axl quote... he isn't always telling the truth.  no Just think of his coments like 'everybody hated everybody except me'  confused  The truth is that Slash and Matt told in various interviews back then that they wanted Izzy to rejoin or Robin Finck (Matt's awful recommendation) or Ryan Roxie... I wonder if Axl haven't read those articles or they didn't tell him  confused

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 05:46:07 PM »

just bought the greatest hits from GN'r and noticed that Paul Huge played guitar on Sympathy for the devil. That song was recorded in 1994. I thought Giolby still was part of the band in 1994? Can anyone explain this to me?

esox

Gilby left because he didn't want to be in a band with 3 other guitarists. Axl mentioned to him that he was considering a move like that and Gilby didn;t want to be in a band like that. It was nothing personal or musical, though it did get personal when he sued GNR in 1996 for using his likeness in promotion materials. But they made up in 2000 when Axl came to a Gilby performance and sang with him.

MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »

Paul has been friends with Axl for a long fuckin time. He was a lot like Izzy to Axl. He's a good guitarist and a great friend.

"Without Paul, there would be no Guns N' Roses'" Axl Rose, Rock In Rio III

I think the guy deserves respect.

Some fans took issue with what Axl said there...? As though Axl was crediting Paul with the existence of Guns N' Roses.
That's not it.? What he said was "there would be no more Guns N' Roses"... not there never would have been a Guns N' Roses.?

"This is my friend Paul Tobias. He has worked in the darkness undergroud for the last 7 years to be able to be here today. I think this makes his 4th or 5th show alltogther in his life. Without Paul there would be no more Guns N' Roses. Along with Paul, the only man from the old lineup who stayed loyal and worked hard everyday is on the keyboards, Mr. Dizzy Reed..."

Glad Axl had at least a couple of his friends stick with him and I'd be happy to know if they're working together still or in the future.

esox
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 04:03:04 AM »

thanks for all the replies'guys

still one question left. when did gilby leave / got fired. the beginning or the end of 1994? 'cause sympathy for the devil was released in 1994 with paul huge,but also gilby's solo album was released in 1994 featering mister axl rose. if they (gn'r/axl) wanted to get rid of gilby, then why did they all played on his solo album???

that doesn't make sense to me.

gilby also played with snakepit. so i can't imagine them getting rid of gilby and record some music with him a few months later.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 05:41:51 AM »

thanks for all the replies'guys

still one question left. when did gilby leave / got fired. the beginning or the end of 1994? 'cause sympathy for the devil was released in 1994 with paul huge,but also gilby's solo album was released in 1994 featering mister axl rose. if they (gn'r/axl) wanted to get rid of gilby, then why did they all played on his solo album???

that doesn't make sense to me.

gilby also played with snakepit. so i can't imagine them getting rid of gilby and record some music with him a few months later.

They went to the studio after Axl had fired Gilby. They planned to record the song with only one guitarist (Slash, of course), but Axl didn't go to the studio on the day of recording, only the musicians. They recorded the song without him. The next day Axl went to the studio with Paul Tobias, did his vocal parts and made Tobias play extra guitar for the song without the others knowing anything about that. When Slash heard the final version, he got pissed off.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 06:02:37 AM »

Thats exactly what I was thinking EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
usurper
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 02:45:47 PM »

Thats exactly what I was thinking EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

interesting.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 04:36:16 PM »

"INTERESTING" That all you have to say?? Can you give me more on that one???

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: