Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash's Subtle Re-Union Message to Axl??
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash's Subtle Re-Union Message to Axl??  (Read 12385 times)
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« on: February 26, 2005, 10:15:04 AM »

Gunners,
I'm just having a laugh with this one but this quote from Slash in a recent VR article suprised me:

He claims that while Velvet Revolver were auditioning singers, the final link in the original GN'R story, guitarist and star songwriter Izzy Stradlin, dropped in on a rehearsal.

"In the process we wrote probably about eight or 12 original songs which would have been the best Guns N'Roses album, had Axl sung it," Slash enthuses. "It was really cool stuff. It wasn't right for Velvet Revolver but with that combination of Duff and Izzy and myself, it was a f---in' bunch of really, really great Guns N' Roses music which unfortunately will probably never see the light of day."

I think this says a lot about Slashs acknowledgement of Axls forever holding position as the spiritual leader of the devastating threesome of Slash, Izzy and Duff.

I wonder what accommodation would have to be come to to get Axl to sing on those tunes? Even if Axl worked alone without ever seeing the other guys and they put it out under a different band name it would be the worst kept secret in music history and the album would sell by the truckload. In fact, has anything as weird as that ever been done successfully by any other musicians?

Sure all parties have moved on but HOT DAMN these kind of quotes make my legs twitch. I cannot help thinking what the old GnR with 52 more years of life lived between them would sound like now. I know this is dead horse stuff but damnnnn???
Peace,
Intercourse
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 10:20:46 AM »

Cool quote...But i think Slash dosent hold huge grudges like Axl..I dont remember Slash trashing any of the members like Axl did...

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 10:45:20 AM »

He claims that while Velvet Revolver were auditioning singers, the final link in the original GN'R story, guitarist and star songwriter Izzy Stradlin, dropped in on a rehearsal.

"In the process we wrote probably about eight or 12 original songs which would have been the best Guns N'Roses album, had Axl sung it," Slash enthuses. "It was really cool stuff. It wasn't right for Velvet Revolver but with that combination of Duff and Izzy and myself, it was a f---in' bunch of really, really great Guns N' Roses music which unfortunately will probably never see the light of day."

Who would hae done vocals?

And if it really that good why don't they release it as an Izzy Stradlin album?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 10:50:18 AM »

It's a pretty understandable thing for slash to say. I wouldn't want to make any claims of knowledge as to his personal feelings towards axl but i think slash has a great deal of respect for axl's talents. The same can be said for axl towards slash tho, he's never doubted the man's ability, maybe his direction tho....

Although i know this isn't serious, any ideas of a reunion in this decade are pretty silly.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »

In Japan only?

I knew this quote and I'd be happy to hear those tracks with Izzy or even more with Axl singin' ?drool

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:17:56 AM »

Cool quote...But i think Slash dosent hold huge grudges like Axl..I dont remember Slash trashing any of the members like Axl did...

Well who would've thought I'd ever defend Axl in this.  But when did Axl trash the other members in an interview?  Hell in the last 12 years if Axl has done more than 10 interviews I'd be surprised.  I don't know if he even gave 10 interviews in the last 12 years.  And every interview I've read he always says that he and Slash and Duff didn't agree with the direction of the music.  And I even heard an interview on the radio where he praises Slash's talent.  Where Slash trashed Axl a few times.  I agree he praises Axl's talent but he trashed him quite often.  So saying Axl trashes the other guys more often is unfair in my view.  Maybe in private he does so but we have no proof of that.  But in interviews I don't agree with you Malcolm.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 11:24:09 AM »

In Japan only?

Of course not - anyway if Izzy came to his label with an album featuring 4 members of GNR and of top quality i think they'd be more than happy to release it world wide and shock, horror - maybe even promote it! It would be VR but without Scott - oh my, we can only dream.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 11:32:29 AM »

Sad part is the 4 of them were motivated and rejuvenated at the time they were writing together. One can only imagine what that music sounded like, especially considering Izzy was so interested in getting out and playing with them until the others put the kabosh on it as Izzy just wanted to be the singer, while the others had bigger ideas.

In this same context at one point Slash said that music they wrote sounded more Guns N' Roses than GNR did, and it was the best instrumental album material they had written to date. I don't doubt that claim for one minute as I feel as players Duff,Slash, and Matt are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago given their new found sober lifestyles and committment to making music, and throwing an interested Izzy into that mix you can just hear it in your head now the type of stuff that must have been coming out of those sessions. For Izzy to have even entertained the idea of wanting to get out and play behind it tells me it was good music. I mean when those 3(slash,duff,Izzy) have written together some truly magical stuff has come out of it, it's just a damn shame it is too rock oriented for VR as we will never get to hear it. It was probably laced with huge solos and just good old fashion hard rock crying
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 11:32:54 AM »

Well who would've thought I'd ever defend Axl in this.  But when did Axl trash the other members in an interview?  Hell in the last 12 years if Axl has done more than 10 interviews I'd be surprised.  I don't know if he even gave 10 interviews in the last 12 years.  And every interview I've read he always says that he and Slash and Duff didn't agree with the direction of the music.  And I even heard an interview on the radio where he praises Slash's talent.  Where Slash trashed Axl a few times.  I agree he praises Axl's talent but he trashed him quite often.  So saying Axl trashes the other guys more often is unfair in my view.  Maybe in private he does so but we have no proof of that.  But in interviews I don't agree with you Malcolm.

Maybe not in interviews because like you said Axl has hardly done any in the last few years. However, if you listen to some of the 2002 Tour bootlegs Axl does say a few harsh things about former members. Here are some examples (they are quoted from memory so are not 100% accurate but u get the idea):

"He's in my Ass!!! Thats where Slash is go home fucktard!" Leeds 2002

"I read a review where some guy said there were a lot of technical problems in the band.... Izzy couldnt hear himself. You want to know why Izzy couldnt hear himself. Because Izzy would be so wacked out that our roadies would have to turn his amps down because once we would start playing a song Izzy would begin playing an entirely different song. Another interesting tidbit for your trivial persuit"

"Slash may look like the fucking De La Hoya but he can suck my dick!"

Im sure there are others but that is just a few examples. Axl does not hold off on the other members.

Jonx
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 11:48:12 AM »

Now give some exaples of Slash or Izzy insulting Axl, oh yeah there aren't any.
It's a good point that if Izzy actually wanted to go on tour those songs must have been good, either that or he was drunk? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 11:53:09 AM »

Thanks for sharing that Intercourse. Slash is very pragmatic about the music. He knows what Axl can do. I think Axl knows what he can do. Funny how the stuff in the middle can fuck it all up.

I've seen enough.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 12:03:14 PM »

From what I read, Slash seems to switch sides a lot.  After the "Vegas incident", in an interview he called Axl "his boy" and the next minute he called Axl "that little bastard", in the same interview.  Maybe he likes the thought of GN'R getting back together.  Like, in his head, he imagines Axl getting his shit together and straightening out and apologizing, etc.  And they do a show or something.  But then the logical or realistic side of Slash knows that it's never going to happen.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 12:04:23 PM »

it's just a damn shame it is too rock oriented for VR as we will never get to hear it. It was probably laced with huge solos and just good old fashion hard rock
i thought vr were all about the "rock"

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 12:16:29 PM »

You're right JohnnyBlood old son.
What a balls...an album that could transend ALL rock music today is sitting in a fucking vault somewhere. crying

However, I must say that this 'never going to happen' thing between Axl and the boys is not definite, nothing except death and taxes really is.

Surely quotes like this tweak his interest, to know that your original team has a set of tunes that were made for YOU and YOU ALONE to sing over and to know that that team propelled your talent and vision into the stratosphere in the first place. I?m sure it would become very hard to ignore especially  if his own attempts to carry on with GNR are met with hostility and ambivalence from fans and press alike if and when CD finally comes out.
peace,
Intercourse.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 12:25:48 PM »

In Japan only?

Of course not - anyway if Izzy came to his label with an album featuring 4 members of GNR and of top quality i think they'd be more than happy to release it world wide and shock, horror - maybe even promote it! It would be VR but without Scott - oh my, we can only dream.

Since Scott plans to release a solo album, I hope that the guys will find the best way to spend their free time: record and tour with Izzy and those songs  yes

Rollin' on the streets
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 12:49:31 PM »

i thought vr were all about the "rock"

Roll Eyes

Misinterpreting his sentence doesnt give you a point.  Ill help you out - its too "classic rock-based" for VR.  Understand now?

Since Scott plans to release a solo album

Huh

Where did you hear this?
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 12:53:42 PM »

It's nice to hear that Slash still thinks fondly of axl's musical contribution to GnR, namely there are songs which VR couldn't pull off respectfully that Axl could. I find some solace in the mention, much more than any comment directed toward the business end of GnR.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »

yeah, I hope Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven record those songs with Izzy singing and then release it!
that would be incredible! yes

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »

Just like Axl said the stuff they were working on before Slash quit was the  "meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith?s Rocks". But that didn't happen because, according to Axl, Slash didn't wanna work on it.

Now Slash says the only thing missing is Axl's vocals.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »

Since Scott plans to release a solo album

Huh

Where did you hear this?

Erm, months ago, as I remember when Scott was laying down vocals, there was some news that Scott would want to do a solo album in the next years.

Rollin' on the streets
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: