Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 09:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Do You consider CD a follow up to Illusions?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You consider CD a follow up to Illusions?  (Read 16775 times)
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2005, 07:48:58 PM »

Yes, in fact. I think of it as Illusions redux, because I thought Illusions is where Axl tried to redefine the GNR sound to something along the lines of Queen, Elton John, Boston, ELO, etc. And of course there was resistance in the band. So the sound of Illusions, to me, was not harmonious. People were not on the same page. And now Axl has the opportunity to do things his way, so it will very much be a continuation of the Illusion theme I'm guessing. The only thing missing is the original band.

I'd love to agree 100% with you but if you take into account all that Tommy has said you would be led to believe that this album is a "band" collaboration as a whole and not just Axl's vision to "do this , play this way , sing that note" or whatever .. it seems to me from what tommy has said is that every band member has been afforded much luxury to help shape and mold every song so that everyone has put their own stamp on them.? peace

What you are saying then, if I understand correctly, is that Tommy, Richard, Robin, Buckethead when he was there, Brain, and Dizzy are all on the exact equal plain as Axl? This project is not being steered by Axl? Axl is doesn't have final say on what is used and what is not used?

Sorry but having a voice isn't the same as creative control. And before you use Tommy -- who I love by the way -- to establish a point, keep in mind that this is the same guy who has thought the record is coming out really soon for about 3 years.

I've seen enough.
Fourtet
Opening Act

democracy is the art of running a circus

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2005, 03:54:34 PM »

This is a follow up to the illusion records. It's a constant evolution and progress in the music. He made it very clear at the end of UYI2 where he intended to go from there. This move was predictable,nothing shocking there.So,this is in my opinion a logical follow up to the illusion records.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2005, 05:27:34 PM »

What you are saying then, if I understand correctly, is that Tommy, Richard, Robin, Buckethead when he was there, Brain, and Dizzy are all on the exact equal plain as Axl? This project is not being steered by Axl? Axl is doesn't have final say on what is used and what is not used?

Sorry but having a voice isn't the same as creative control. And before you use Tommy -- who I love by the way -- to establish a point, keep in mind that this is the same guy who has thought the record is coming out really soon for about 3 years.
No. Every ship has a captain and division of labour.?

I'd imagine Axl had thought like Tommy.
I would rather ponder on the meaning of the messages than just snub them
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2005, 03:29:13 PM »

i just dont like this stupid techno crap.

There's no techno. Stick that into your thick cranium already.

I love "my world" .. never understood why so many people seem to hate it?  Huh

Ditto here. A lot of people don't seem to realize what a groundbreaking sound that song had at the time.

ok so when they play there new songs and theres axl with a digitally distorted voice and damn dizzy reeds keyboard making weird noises. So if you dont like the word techno, ill use electronic crap. Ill try to please you.

html sucks
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »

augh... why does one or another type of music have to be 'off limits'?
variety my friends - variety is GN'R.
nothing is off limits - there are no boundaries  ok
how's that for a fuck you rock n' roll attitude? Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »

wel the problem with the rock n roll attitude means you gotta be rock n roll, keyboards and voice distortion are not exactly what id class as rock n roll

html sucks
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2005, 05:30:30 PM »

As long as it sounds good and kicks ass it's rock n' roll? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2005, 05:35:27 PM »

that would definatly be appetite then wouldnt it.... ok

html sucks
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2005, 06:34:01 PM »

wel the problem with the rock n roll attitude means you gotta be rock n roll, keyboards and voice distortion are not exactly what id class as rock n roll

so a piano player can't 'rock'?  hm
someone should tell elton john, billy joel, freddie mercury, and ray charles - to name a few
and voice distortion - axl just giving us something different - trying something different
its not like he sings through a megaphone all the time  hihi
 peace
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »

Then go listen to an AC/DC record, they've been consistently dull for a long time.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2005, 07:00:03 PM »

My answer is no. I consider "chinese democracy' to basically be an Axl solo project, and not a true follow up album to Illusions. I consider it one of the tragedies of rock that the 'Illusions' masterpiece was never given a follow up album by the band. To me it is the biggest stain on the bands legacy. I'm sure someone will Dead Horse my comments, but i'm curious as to how you guys(and girls) feel about the band doing illusions and then basically not giving a shit about anything and do you consider CD a follow up, or a whole new era of GNR?
I think when you start out on the top like they did (with AFD doing so well and becoming legendary), there's nowhere to go but down.  Illusions were great, I think.  But things fell apart.  Maybe, no matter what they did, they'd be seen as a failure 'cause nothing would ever measure up to the success of AFD.

I consider CD to be a midlife crisis project that has been taken too far.
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2005, 01:48:54 PM »

As long as it sounds good and kicks ass it's rock n' roll? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Im with u Izzy, Js give me a great fucking album with about 12 tunes that I can listen to non-stop and Im cool.  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Warren
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2005, 03:47:28 AM »

fuck yeah, oh my god rocks? ok

Sorry, but "Oh my Dog" doesn't rock at all...

It just sucks a lot ! hihi

And nobody should forget that Izzy Stradlin' came back in 1993 for some shows. So, I hope he will come back again with Slash and Duff.
If they don't come back, there won't be GN'R anymore...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 03:50:47 AM by Warren » Logged
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2005, 08:44:32 AM »

I think of CD as Axl Rose's opus. I don't consider it a follow up to UYI, I don't even consider it a "group effort". It will be all Axl Rose from start to finish. I mean Tommy can say whatever he wants about collective effort and shit but we all know Axl Rose and what a control freak he is. I don't say that he tells every member what to play but i think it's pretty safe to say that if Axl doesn't like something he hears then it's not gonna end up in CD even if tommy,richard,robi,chris,brain and dizzy think it's the most beautiful piece of music ever written!Bottom line is that :A)if CD is awesome AXL ROSE will take all the credit B)if CD is shit AXL ROSE will take all the blame and AXL ROSE'S carreer will finish.
Tommy,Richard and co will always find another employer to work for. Of course they will be dissapointed because now they just collect pay checks and promote their solo works but that's another story... Tongue

just my 0.02

homo homini lupus...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2005, 10:37:33 AM »

The guy who said CD is a mid-life crisis gone way too far had it right on the money. Couldn't have said it any better myself. Everyone's replies were great but I had never heard it put that way before.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:29 AM »

but we all know Axl Rose and what a control freak he is.
I don't since I'm not close to him. Roll Eyes
I don't say that he tells every member what to play but i think it's pretty safe to say that if Axl doesn't like something he hears then it's not gonna end up in CD even if tommy,richard,robi,chris,brain and dizzy think it's the most beautiful piece of music ever written!
Yeah and I think it's pretty safe to say that if anything Tommy, Richard, Robin, Chris, Brain or Dizzy doesn't like  then it's not gonna end up in CD coz Axl wants to do it (music on CD) as democratically as possible. That's why it took pretty long time according to Tommy.

Bottom line is that :A)if CD is awesome AXL ROSE will take all the credit B)if CD is shit AXL ROSE will take all the blame and AXL ROSE'S carreer will finish.
Tommy,Richard and co will always find another employer to work for. Of course they will be dissapointed because now they just collect pay checks and promote their solo works but that's another story... Tongue
A) B) What defines the music as awesome or shit? and who and how?
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »

Its the biggest comeback of the decade if it happens

I argee with that and it will happen. I do not think it is a follow up to Use Your Illusions buecause this a a new line now for the band and time has changed a lot since then. I look as it as the biggest come back ever, next part in the history of Guns N' Roses and the return of rock.   

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2005, 12:43:50 AM »

Well in answer to the subject's question...

... i'll tell you that when I'll hear it, is that ok? No? Wadaya think?
SADIS
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2005, 06:03:30 AM »

The Prodigy seem pretty Rock N Roll to me....
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2005, 06:31:36 AM »

Yeah and I think it's pretty safe to say that if anything Tommy, Richard, Robin, Chris, Brain or Dizzy doesn't like  then it's not gonna end up in CD coz Axl wants to do it (music on CD) as democratically as possible.

we are talking about the same man who put my world in UYI2 and the rest of the band didn't even know about that song right? And he did that to Slash, izzy and duff-imagine what he will do to a bunch of hired guns. I think that Axl Rose is the only one who has the final say regarding anything that goes on in gnr nowadays. He could change the entire track list (if something like that really exists) in a night and the rest of the "band" would know shit about it.

A) B) What defines the music as awesome or shit? and who and how?

I will decide it for myself and u will do the same for yourself!however if for example i don't like the guitar parts on CD i won't blame robin and richard for that because Axl Rose had 10 years and 10 million dollars to find the perfect guitar player for the band!

homo homini lupus...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: