Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Do You think Axl is jealous...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You think Axl is jealous...  (Read 17045 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 12:54:31 AM »

Not sure of angry, but no doubt envious.?

His former bandmates made it to places Axl had sought and never received acceptance from so that's got to sting to a degree.
O yea Im sure Axl is so envious of the boys making it on tho the prestigious modern format. His former bandmates made it to those? places "Axl only hopes and dreams of", that great modern rock world you speak so highly of, soley because of 1 factor. ...scott weiland.

You always talk about Axl not being accepted in this elite genre. Fuck that genre. Its what basically killed rock music. SOme of its good but look how its left the state of rock. Anyway back to point....
 Let GNR release the album and singles and see if they are left out on these modern stations. I highly doubt it. Not if the music is great he wont be. i guarentee it.

as for the topic....

I highly doubt Axl is jealous. I would say its more of the lines of not really caring. He seems to be that type of person where he could give two shits about something if he feels strongly about it. I doubt he wants to see them fail or succede... simply doesnt care.

As for the grammy...its great and all but when hoobastank, elvis costello etc are considered rock then you better win. Same with new gnr if they ever win a grammy. music world sucks today it isnt the same as it was back then.

A lot of the posts in this thread prove the point that GNr have an uphill climb towards success. Factors outside of the music are against gnr. Even the name itself is a factor. It has a good and bad effect.
Good for initial album sales bad for the music side{potentially}. GNr have a job of making quality music because they kept the name. They have to continue the GNR legacy. That is not a easy feat. They chose to do it that way...so lets see how it plays out...and once agian it all hinders on the material.

You can all smirk as vr land on the prestigious modern format and are selling out club shows but where will their music be in 5 -10 yrs? It wont be on those all time charts you speak of etc. Its not memorable music. Its good stuff for the moment but so is a lot of other stuff.

Any band can hide behind the "we just wanna get out there and rock" attitude. And thats fine. Im not saying you have to try n create a masterpiece but by u not caring as much about your mnusic your mnusic will only go so far. It gets boring after awhile with that attitude. Unless you hit lighnting in a bottle and create AFD etc then your album will just be another album...

What seperates good bands from great bands is the memorable stuff...being able to make meanigful and memorable music that many different kinds of peopel can relate to and be timeless at the same time. Will new gnr do that? idk...time will tell...but vr sure as hell havnt come close....they seem to be more concerned with the whole "It's subversive. It's dangerous and it's just everything that's exciting about rock 'n' roll." attitude.? Undecided? ?the same guy who doesnt want naked women walking around backstage.....

« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:08:41 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 01:20:47 AM »

Axl might have been jealous for 2 minutes before he heard VR's material, at which he probably fell asleep.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 01:25:08 AM »

do you think he made it past Spectacle?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 01:30:14 AM »

do you think he made it past Spectacle?

With the help of lots of coffee, maybe on the fourth try.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 02:38:23 AM »

I think Axl doesn't really care. The fact is- he probably could throw an "all-star" band together, record 12 radio friendly jingles and be on the cover of Rolling Stone himself if he wanted to. But, as a previous poster said, it's not about that for him now- he's laboring to produce an album that can stand shoulder to shoulder in rock history with AFD and UYI and truly put Guns N' Roses up their with Led Zeppelin, The Stones, etc. That is his life's passion. Now if VR was putting out material that was of that quality and winning zero grammies- then I think Axl might be on the balcony's edge- but it seems like he's safe for the moment.

BTW: I don't think VR is a "stable" arrangement by any stretch. They definitely put a solid debut album out- but I hardly think it's a foregone conclusion that they're going to: (A) successfully stay together over the next year or two; and (B) produce a successful follow-up album.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Gazzathecoigne
Opening Act

Mad, mental, manic Scotsman!

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 03:04:18 AM »

I don't think he's jelous.  Actually, I would'nt think Axl gave a flying fuck what VR acheive.  I do sometimes wonder though, if he has actually listened to Controband, and sometimes like me, trys to imagine his voice instead of Scotts?  Now there would be a truely kick ass album!!

ok

"Smoke em if you got em...........alright that sucked!"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 04:08:41 AM »

I love VR there album hasnt regularly left my cd player since i got it, but come on, they cant come close to Axl.

Look who GNR lost to all those years, Metallica,Nirvana,Pearl Jam etc etc etc

who did VR beat?  slipknot,Incubus i mean it isnt like they beat U2 or bands like that.

Axl jealous? No Way

surprised that SLash and Duff turned out successful without him? yes id say very surprised.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 04:22:55 AM »

I think there must be some added pressure given the sucess of VR. They have really exceeded all expectations.
Axl seems like a competitive guy (especially with "Round 1" and the many disses on Slash etc.. ) so he'll want to show the world that he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

wtf? circus like characters? more like some of the most talented musicans in the music scene today... if you dont like gnr, what are you doing on a gnr forum?

but no, axl isn't jealous of $lash and Puff.. hell no.   He probably doesn't give a fuck, and when he releases his album its gonna blow the fuck out of contraband and every other band out there today.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 04:51:17 AM »

Jealous no, but the fact Axl hasnt said a word or been seen in public since VR released CB shows Axl is feeling some pressure, and isnt totally comfortable now.  Going by that info its hard to say exactly what Axls thinking. My guess is Axl has blocked out VR by cutting off all contact with the world. Good strategy.  confused
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 05:00:43 AM »

I think there must be some added pressure given the sucess of VR. They have really exceeded all expectations.
Axl seems like a competitive guy (especially with "Round 1" and the many disses on Slash etc.. ) so he'll want to show the world that he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

wtf? circus like characters? more like some of the most talented musicans in the music scene today... if you dont like gnr, what are you doing on a gnr forum?

but no, axl isn't jealous of $lash and Puff.. hell no.? ?He probably doesn't give a fuck, and when he releases his album its gonna blow the fuck out of contraband and every other band out there today.

I do like GN'R, love them infact... have been listening since 1988, you?
The new line-up is unproven, so arguing old vs. new is redundant at best.
And yes, the new line up does have a circus-like image, in look as well as reputation

anyway im going to stop now as I'm reminded of a quote "only an idiot argues with an idiot"

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 05:30:45 AM »

of course hes jelous....

Slash, Duff, Matt all just won a Grammy..... 

oh but Axl did buy a Neon Mobile Horse Sign!!!
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 07:41:51 AM »

Neon horse...LOL!
I don't think he's jealous...I don't even think he's living in the real world...so up in his little fishbowl it's all that hihi
...time will tell
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 08:55:04 AM »

VR is good, but they don't do it for me that much.  They are better than the most bands out there now. 

Ritz Reeves III
elmaestro
Rocker

Turn loose the swans that drew my poets craft...

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2005, 09:41:22 AM »

There's nothing to be jealous about, plain and simple as that!

'Contraband' has some good songs but most are mediocre.

I think Scott is a poser, trying hard to be something he's not: a rock star!

Duff and Slash, although still great players, do not come close to the work they did when they were in GNR: I think they were pushed harder back then!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Axl adebt whole the way.  It's just the way I see it. beer

I do hope Axl will deliver a great album, but the new songs have not disappointed me...

The secret of the hanged man.... the smile on his lips...
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2005, 10:08:38 AM »

VR songs are mediocre and they've only 1 brilliant song; slither. however, they're betta than some of the other bands out there at the moment.

I don't think Axl is jealous. if he felt pressure of CB, i think he would have released Chinese Democracy sooner due to competition.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2005, 10:38:43 AM »

Not sure of angry, but no doubt envious.?

His former bandmates made it to places Axl had sought and never received acceptance from so that's got to sting to a degree.
O yea Im sure Axl is so envious of the boys making it on tho the prestigious modern format. His former bandmates made it to those? places "Axl only hopes and dreams of", that great modern rock world you speak so highly of, soley because of 1 factor. ...scott weiland.

You always talk about Axl not being accepted in this elite genre. Fuck that genre. Its what basically killed rock music. SOme of its good but look how its left the state of rock. Anyway back to point....
 Let GNR release the album and singles and see if they are left out on these modern stations. I highly doubt it. Not if the music is great he wont be. i guarentee it.

I never mentioned "modern rock", or for that matter 'elite genre".

You did.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
R. R. Dadfield
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »

I may have some info about what Axl thinks about VR (if Slash can be trusted!).  In January 2005, Slash gave a brief interview on the UK's Virgin Radio.  The most interesting part came when the DJ asked whether Axl had contacted Slash to congratulate him on the success of VR.  Slash replied that he had not spoken to Axl personally.  But, talking to a 'mutual friend', he had learned Axl's reaction to Contraband.  Axl does, apparently, wish that 'he had produced' the album.  The DJ then quipped 'yeah, release date 2010', and Slash laughed.

What Axl meant by this is anyone's guess.  Was he admiring the album, and wishing he had been involved?  Or was he critising it, saying that he could have produced it better?

But because the reported reaction is neither too positive or too negative, I think it's more plausible than some of the ideas above.

The interview can he heard at
http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/artists/velvet_revolver/index.html.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2005, 04:06:18 PM »

If they had won Album of the Year maybe he'd be jealous but I don't particularly think he is.  For VR, I think from a commerical standpoint they were wise to pick Weiland (even if I'm not a big fan of his) and the ensuing media attention they've garnered as a result.....well, they couldn't really ask for more at this stage in their career.  They are doing what they love and have been successful at it. 

They have not though, been overly embraced critically, which view I share, I don't think Contraband is that great.  Axl is always going to have more mystique about him and they have to live with being asked about him time and time again.  I can see Axl being envious of Slash being such a well-loved "personality".  It goes both ways I guess. 
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2005, 04:14:20 PM »

I dont think Axl cares what VR does.   Just wait til his album drops then you will know if he is a failure.
You called Axls 2002 tour a failure but he sold more tix than VR did on their sucessful tour. Go figure.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jgfnsr
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »

I don't know if either "jealous" or "envious" are the words.

He made no attempt to hide the fact in one radio interview that he didn't want to do anything that would help his former bandmate's albums, so it's obvious he cares in some fashion.

I think the biggest factor would be his personal opinion of Contraband as an album, which nobody really knows for sure.  My guess is that he doesn't give two fucks about the Grammy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: