Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Do You think Axl is jealous...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You think Axl is jealous...  (Read 17026 times)
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »

...of Velver Revolver? I remember when he said that he had watched Slash "throw his career away" and implied that Slash's rock style was outdated. I remember when he victoriously announced that he had won "Round 1" at the MTV awards. Since then, a failed tour then...nothing. The boat has all but sailed on Axl's hopes to update GNR. In the meantime I can't help but wonder if VR is doing all the things that Axl hoped to do: appealing to a younger audience, getting played on modern rock stations, hanging out with Bono and Elton at big events, etc... do you think Axl wishes Slash and co. the best, or is he seething with anger? I would never count Axl out, but I am curious if he's feeling some extra pressure.
It all depends on Axl's views on music and the music business in general.? If he wants to be successful with his music and his career, then he probably is jealous of VR.? But if he wants to succeed by doing something that he himself will be proud of, and he doesn't care about commercial success, then I don't think he'd be jealous of VR.? ?

But on a personal level, I'm sure it must be hard for him when the guys he used to be in a band with are having success like that and rubbing it in his face.  Especially when they are using Axl to get ahead.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 04:50:44 PM by a fan » Logged
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2005, 04:55:30 PM »

Especially when they are using Axl to get ahead.

How are they doing that? I think Slash and especially Duff, have been nothing but diplomatic when the inevitable questions from journalists regarding Axl come up.
To me, they have done everything they can to forge a distinct and seperate path. However, comparisons and questions about Axl are to be expected
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 04:58:05 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2005, 05:03:03 PM »

How are they doing that? I think Slash and especially Duff, have been nothing if diplomatic when the inevitable questions from journalists regarding Axl come up.
To me, they have done everything they can to forge a distinct and seperate path. However, comparisons and questions about Axl are to be expected
In most of the interviews I've read, Axl (or GN'R) is brought up in some way or another.? I could give you numerous quotes if you wish.? But they frequently call him crazy or say he broke up the band.? Did you see that Inside Out thing on VR?? At the beginning, the narrator says that GN'R broke up and most of the blame was placed on Axl.? And to be honest, the only thing worth reading in most VR interviews is when they criticize Axl.? Because the only other things in the interview are " the guys in VR used to party a lot, but now they are all responsible family men".? You see, they need that "feud" with Axl to make things interesting, because without that, they are just rockstars trying to make a comeback.

Also, remember who Scott was for Halloween?

And if they don't want to talk about Axl or GN'R, and the interviewer brings it up, they can always use the classic "no comment".
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:04:41 PM by a fan » Logged
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »

How are they doing that? I think Slash and especially Duff, have been nothing if diplomatic when the inevitable questions from journalists regarding Axl come up.
In most of the interviews I've read, Axl (or GN'R) is brought up in some way or another.? I could give you numerous quotes if you wish.? But they frequently call him crazy or say he broke up the band.? Did you see that Inside Out thing on VR?? At the beginning, the narrator says that GN'R broke up and most of the blame was placed on Axl.? And to be honest, the only thing worth reading in most VR interviews is when they criticize Axl.? Because the only other things in the interview are " the guys in VR used to party a lot, but now they are all responsible family men".? You see, they need that "feud" with Axl to make things interesting, because without that, they are just rockstars trying to make a comeback.

Also, remember who Scott was for Halloween?

And if they don't want to talk about Axl or GN'R, and the interviewer brings it up, they can always use the classic "no comment".

granted, there have been a few comments here and there, most of which have been due to the slant the journalist wants to bring to said article or interview

but there have been plenty of positive responses such as Duff wishing him the best, constant praise for his ability as a frontman and songwriter not to mention Slash asking "is that necessary" when a crowd started chanting "Fuck Axl".

I think there is an inevitable sense of frustration when they discuss him, but overwhelmingly I feel there is a real sense of respect and admiration that is conveyed.

a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2005, 05:22:20 PM »

granted, there have been a few comments here and there, most of which have been due to the slant the journalist wants to bring to said article or interview

but there have been plenty of positive responses such as Duff wishing him the best, constant praise for his ability as a frontman and songwriter not to mention Slash asking "is that necessary" when a crowd started chanting "Fuck Axl".

I think there is an inevitable sense of frustration when they discuss him, but overwhelmingly I feel there is a real sense of respect and admiration that is conveyed.
Slash and Duff always call Axl crazy, and Matt always says that he doesn't like Axl.  I believe Matt even made fun of Axl's "new look" too, and you know that's what all the interviewers dream of hearing.  And it doesn't matter who brings up Axl.  The point is that if you don't have enough finesse to be able to control a conversation (i.e., not talking about Axl even when provoked), then maybe you shouldn't be doing interviews in the first place.  And if you are going to do interviews, take responsibility for what you say.  Don't blame it on the interviewer. 

Even worse is when they talk about Axl, but they have an attitude like "well, I won't say his name, but I think you know who I'm talking about".
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »

Slash and Duff always call Axl crazy, and Matt always says that he doesn't like Axl.? I believe Matt even made fun of Axl's "new look" too, and you know that's what all the interviewers dream of hearing.? And it doesn't matter who brings up Axl.? The point is that if you don't have enough finesse to be able to control a conversation (i.e., not talking about Axl even when provoked), then maybe you shouldn't be doing interviews in the first place.? And if you are going to do interviews, take responsibility for what you say.? Don't blame it on the interviewer.?

Even worse is when they talk about Axl, but they have an attitude like "well, I won't say his name, but I think you know who I'm talking about".

yes, but you are neglecting the examples I stated in my last post

the way you talk, you would think they werent former members of GN'R. Of course Axl will come up, and you can expect a degree of frustration from time to time. I stated Duff and Slash specifically because I think it applies more to them.

And you still havent given a convincing example of how they are "using him" in some way to benefit.

By this rationale, are you also saying that Axl is using Slash etc.. given his numerous outbursts (and they were a whole lot more pointed and aggressive than anything VR have said) to somehow gain an advantage for nu-gnr ?

a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2005, 05:45:11 PM »

the way you talk, you would think they werent former members of GN'R. Of course Axl will come up, and you can expect a degree of frustration from time to time. I stated Duff and Slash specifically because I think it applies more to them.

And you still havent given a convincing example of how they are "using him" in some way to benefit.

By this rationale, are you also saying that Axl is using Slash etc.. given his numerous outbursts (and they were a whole lot more pointed and aggressive than anything VR have said) to somehow gain an advantage for nu-gnr ?
No, I think Axl loses his temper, that's all.? But Slash and Duff are just asking for it.? They start a band with 3/5 of GN'R (4/5 when Izzy joins them), and they expect people to forget about that and focus on the present.? But they constantly bring up the past, whether it is Axl, GN'R, or their former lifestyles.? And their former lifestyles are going to be associated with GN'R, so it will also be associated with Axl.? If they are frustrated by something a fan says at a concert, for example, then that is one thing.? But when an interviewer asks things having to do with Axl, then they bring it upon themselves by the way they handle that situation.

As far as using Axl...people know Slash and Duff and Matt from GN'R.? By mentioning GN'R or Axl, that is drawing attention to themselves, or making people interested in them.? People are interested in a feud between the former members and Axl.? So anything said is only going to add fire to that feud, according to the people's perspective.  Bottom line, when most people think of VR, they don't think about Contraband (notice they had a fan base before they released their album), they think about GN'R (and STP if you're a fan).  So they are using that to their advantage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:47:40 PM by a fan » Logged
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »

No, I think Axl loses his temper, that's all.? But Slash and Duff are just asking for it.? They start a band with 3/5 of GN'R (4/5 when Izzy joins them), and they expect people to forget about that and focus on the present.? But they constantly bring up the past, whether it is Axl, GN'R, or their former lifestyles.? And their former lifestyles are going to be associated with GN'R, so it will also be associated with Axl.? If they are frustrated by something a fan says at a concert, for example, then that is one thing.? But when an interviewer asks things having to do with Axl, then they bring it upon themselves by the way they handle that situation.

As far as using Axl...people know Slash and Duff and Matt from GN'R.? By mentioning GN'R or Axl, that is drawing attention to themselves, or making people interested in them.? People are interested in a feud between the former members and Axl.? So anything said is only going to add fire to that feud, according to the people's perspective.

well you agree with me then in the sense that they will forever be tied to GNR and that is inevitable - therefor it is inevitable that questions will be asked and given the rich history they all share, answers will be provided. This is not using Axl for any benefit that I can see - it is merely dealing realistically with a situation at hand. You are right, feud does equate to copy from a journalistic angle - I still see no evidence of them perpertrating this issue to gain any benefit.

Your justification/rationalisation for Axls pointed insults holds no water in my view - Axls are just heat of the moment outbursts where as Slash/Duff are implementing a calculated marketing campaign? Come on....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:56:13 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2005, 06:00:16 PM »

I think there must be some added pressure given the sucess of VR. They have really exceeded all expectations.
Axl seems like a competitive guy (especially with "Round 1" and the many disses on Slash etc.. ) so he'll want to show the world that he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

wtf? circus like characters? more like some of the most talented musicans in the music scene today... if you dont like gnr, what are you doing on a gnr forum?

but no, axl isn't jealous of $lash and Puff.. hell no.   He probably doesn't give a fuck, and when he releases his album its gonna blow the fuck out of contraband and every other band out there today.

I do like GN'R, love them infact... have been listening since 1988, you?
The new line-up is unproven, so arguing old vs. new is redundant at best.
And yes, the new line up does have a circus-like image, in look as well as reputation

anyway im going to stop now as I'm reminded of a quote "only an idiot argues with an idiot"

Its not about arguing old vs. new.. its about what is GnR TODAY?  the old band broke up a long time ago, so in my opinion discussing them is redundant.   If someone doesn't like GnR (meaning GnR today), they should not be at a gnr forum.  they'd be happier, less of a nuisance, and better off somewhere else.

I have stated nothing derogatory regarding nu-gn'r, perhaps if you read my posts again you will see that. I am merely contributing to the discussion of whether or not Axl is jealous of VR's success to which I have stated I think VR's success will contribute to Axl's competitive spirit.

I am here to have reasoned discussions, i'm not going to blindly accept Axl's word as gospel (nor VR's for that matter)and I will look at things rationally and will state my opinion accordingly...

Nuisance? That is rich coming from you  hihi

Peace  beer

first of all, there is no nu-gnr.  calling it that is so fucking gay.  its GNR.  like it or not, thats who GnR is now. if you haven't gotten over that, you should go to a fucking VR forum.

and you called them a circus, you meant that in a negative way.  Axl would not work with anything but the best.  most of the guys in his band are way more talented this $lashole or Puff.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

well you agree with me then in the sense that they will forever be tied to GNR and that is inevitable - therefor it is inevitable that questions will be asked and given the rich history they all share, answers will be provided. This is not using Axl for any benefit that I can see - it is merely dealing realistically with a situation at hand. You are right, feud does equate to copy from a journalistic angle - I still see no evidence of them perpertrating this issue to gain any benefit.

Your justification/rationalisation for Axls pointed insults holds no water in my view - Axls are just heat of the moment outbursts where as Slash/Duff are implementing a calculated marketing campaign? Come on....
Well, the only leg VR has to stand on is their former bands. ?Their music is dated, as well as their image. ?I don't think it is necessary to mention Axl. ?If they hate talking about him so much, then they shouldn't talk about him. ?But they do talk about him because GN'R is all they have to give themselves credibility, and if you're going to talk about GN'R, who better to talk about than Axl? ?

It's all about perception.  If you don't perceive that they are using Axl to get ahead, then there's nothing I can say that will change your mind. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 06:06:03 PM by a fan » Logged
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2005, 06:09:02 PM »

I think there must be some added pressure given the sucess of VR. They have really exceeded all expectations.
Axl seems like a competitive guy (especially with "Round 1" and the many disses on Slash etc.. ) so he'll want to show the world that he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

wtf? circus like characters? more like some of the most talented musicans in the music scene today... if you dont like gnr, what are you doing on a gnr forum?

but no, axl isn't jealous of $lash and Puff.. hell no.? ?He probably doesn't give a fuck, and when he releases his album its gonna blow the fuck out of contraband and every other band out there today.

I do like GN'R, love them infact... have been listening since 1988, you?
The new line-up is unproven, so arguing old vs. new is redundant at best.
And yes, the new line up does have a circus-like image, in look as well as reputation

anyway im going to stop now as I'm reminded of a quote "only an idiot argues with an idiot"

Its not about arguing old vs. new.. its about what is GnR TODAY?? the old band broke up a long time ago, so in my opinion discussing them is redundant.? ?If someone doesn't like GnR (meaning GnR today), they should not be at a gnr forum.? they'd be happier, less of a nuisance, and better off somewhere else.

I have stated nothing derogatory regarding nu-gn'r, perhaps if you read my posts again you will see that. I am merely contributing to the discussion of whether or not Axl is jealous of VR's success to which I have stated I think VR's success will contribute to Axl's competitive spirit.

I am here to have reasoned discussions, i'm not going to blindly accept Axl's word as gospel (nor VR's for that matter)and I will look at things rationally and will state my opinion accordingly...

Nuisance? That is rich coming from you? hihi

Peace? beer

first of all, there is no nu-gnr.? calling it that is so fucking gay.? its GNR.? like it or not, thats who GnR is now. if you haven't gotten over that, you should go to a fucking VR forum.

and you called them a circus, you meant that in a negative way.? Axl would not work with anything but the best.? most of the guys in his band are way more talented this $lashole or Puff.

my last word on this to you JimBob - I am a GN'R fan, a big Axl fan - the circus reference was due to the whole image and was not necessarily negative

you sound like a broken record with your "if youre not a fan dont post blah blah blah"

ive an idea, until you can think of something vaguely intelligent to post, why dont you find a new forum...

until you become a mod here, don't tell people where they can and cant post  ok

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2005, 06:10:26 PM »

Well, the only leg VR has to stand on is their former bands. ?Their music is dated, as well as their image. ?I don't think it is necessary to mention Axl. ?If they hate talking about him so much, then they shouldn't talk about him. ?But they do talk about him because GN'R is all they have to give themselves credibility, and if you're going to talk about GN'R, who better to talk about than Axl? ?

It's all about perception.? If you don't perceive that they are using Axl to get ahead, then there's nothing I can say that will change your mind.?

you make some good points- we'll agree to disagree on this one  beer

DaBrookman
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2005, 07:03:07 PM »

Y'know, I'm not a big VR fan, but I do believe they have a lot of young fans who have no idea who Axl is. That kind of fan base is growing, as VR's popularity continues to grow. I believe it is important for Axl to have his album to be a commercial success and what unfolds wll definitely be interesting!
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »

I dont know if he is jealous of VR per say since he has had success in the past that utterly swamps the success VR are enjoying right now and his place as rock frontman/legend wont ever be equalled by Weiland (I couldnt imagine , unless VR's next album is some kind of pure masterpiece) so I dont think jealosuy is correct.

I'm sure he is surprised that slash and duff have gotten back into the public spotlight and are winning awards with a great selling album/band .... but again , thats not something he hasnt done a few times over so again I cant see him beinmg jealous.

I do however think the success of VR and Contraband has Axl a little "anxious" or "nervous" about his own album .. it would be suicide if Axl's album doesnt outsell Velvet Revolver .. I think it would be the knockout punch that he wont be able to get off the floor from.

peace

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2005, 07:21:27 PM »

...of Velver Revolver? I remember when he said that he had watched Slash "throw his career away" and implied that Slash's rock style was outdated. I remember when he victoriously announced that he had won "Round 1" at the MTV awards. Since then, a failed tour then...nothing. The boat has all but sailed on Axl's hopes to update GNR. In the meantime I can't help but wonder if VR is doing all the things that Axl hoped to do: appealing to a younger audience, getting played on modern rock stations, hanging out with Bono and Elton at big events, etc... do you think Axl wishes Slash and co. the best, or is he seething with anger? I would never count Axl out, but I am curious if he's feeling some extra pressure.

I havent read all the posts in this thread so I apologise if I am saying something that's already be said. Really i'm just replying to the 1st post anyway. First of all when Axl said he had watched Slash "throw his career away", I assume this was in regards to Slash's snakepit and not VR, if it was Snakepit then what Axl said made sense cos let's face it that Snakepit stuff wasn't anything amazing! VR on the ohter hand I really like. Secondly the 'Round 1' thing, do you really think that was aimed at Slash and co?? I mean VR werent around in '02 so there wasnt really a 'musical boxing match' going on, I figured Axl was just saying that to the critics and ppl saying he's sat on his arse for years and hasn't got any new music.
Now as for Axl being happy for VR and wishing them success, I doubt that very much. I remember John Frusciante saying when he was out of the Chili Peppers (While killing himself with heroin) he was watching Dave Navarro playing his material with the peppers and it 'was like watching someone fuck your girlfriend'. I'm sure Axl has a similar feeling watching VR performing I'ts So Easy etc. MAybe he wouldn't be bitter if they had seperated on good terms but they didn't so he's bound to be a bit pissed off, however as others have said this should only spur him on to make and even better album.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »

Y'know, I'm not a big VR fan, but I do believe they have a lot of young fans who have no idea who Axl is. That kind of fan base is growing, as VR's popularity continues to grow. I believe it is important for Axl to have his album to be a commercial success and what unfolds wll definitely be interesting!
Well, that makes VR sound more like a fad than a success.?

VR is just nostalgia, and that will pass.? They have no credibility other than their past careers.? It's like if you have famous parents, and you try to succeed in the entertainment business.? Their status might get you in the door, but ultimately if you don't have the talent for it, you'll never been anything more than "so and so's kid".?

I saw on the TV Guide Channel yesterday, Scott, Dave, and Matt were with Joan and Melissa Rivers commenting on what people wore to the grammies.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:07:04 PM by a fan » Logged
DaBrookman
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2005, 05:13:10 PM »

Well, for myself, I learned you cannot make predictions in the music business. You never KNOW. That's it. I would never go as far as to call VR a "fad". Maybe they will fade away, but then again - who knows? Noone can truly forsee. If you heard Ashley Simpson sing (!) you would probably say "No way this girl will have any success in music" and y'know she's doin' pretty damn good. So I let time fortell the future, not bold predictions.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2005, 05:17:29 PM »

Well, by "fad" I didn't mean something that fades away.? Ashlee Simpson is the perfect example of what I meant.? Something that is there for commercial appeal, not for raw talent.? Something that gets it's success because of something/someone else that was successful.

But I wouldn't know anything about the music business anyway.  If they sell albums, they're successful, right?  So they're successful.  But since I don't know them, I can see everything from an outside perspective.  And from where I'm sitting, I can see that VR are very full of themselves, and their cockiness doesn't even come from what they're doing now, it comes from what they did before.  And if you get too comfortable, you're going to slip sooner or later.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:35:17 PM by a fan » Logged
DaBrookman
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2005, 08:29:46 PM »

Well, I guess I get opinionated here. I do think Matt Sorum has been cocky. LOL. But the other guys seem to have been gracious, and only recently have they dared to vent about Axl. But to be fair, Axl has said and done things so disrespectful of his former bandmates that I think it's fair.
a fan
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2005, 02:16:53 PM »

Well, I guess I get opinionated here. I do think Matt Sorum has been cocky. LOL. But the other guys seem to have been gracious, and only recently have they dared to vent about Axl. But to be fair, Axl has said and done things so disrespectful of his former bandmates that I think it's fair.
Well, Izzy said some unnecessary things about Axl a few years ago in an interview, so I hope he doesn't jump on the "bash Axl" bandwagon since the other guys are.? And the rest of the guys can't keep their stories straight.? Like, Duff was complaining in an interview a few years ago about Axl showing his house in the Estranged video.? That it was separating them from their fans, and they'd become the "beautiful people".? But look at them now.? Although, I realize you can't hold every that was said then as relevant, but still...

And it's not just Axl that they seem to have a problem with.? They say they're the best band in the world, and all the other bands out there today suck because they're young and they don't know what real music is, etc.?

And maybe Axl hasn't been the nicest guy in the world, but there is such a thing as "being the bigger man". 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: