Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Do You think Axl is jealous...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You think Axl is jealous...  (Read 17022 times)
DaBrookman
« on: February 15, 2005, 07:53:57 PM »

...of Velver Revolver? I remember when he said that he had watched Slash "throw his career away" and implied that Slash's rock style was outdated. I remember when he victoriously announced that he had won "Round 1" at the MTV awards. Since then, a failed tour then...nothing. The boat has all but sailed on Axl's hopes to update GNR. In the meantime I can't help but wonder if VR is doing all the things that Axl hoped to do: appealing to a younger audience, getting played on modern rock stations, hanging out with Bono and Elton at big events, etc... do you think Axl wishes Slash and co. the best, or is he seething with anger? I would never count Axl out, but I am curious if he's feeling some extra pressure.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 04:39:36 PM by DaBrookman » Logged
WAR?
Opening Act

And If I Want Too Many Things...

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 08:31:35 PM »

I don't know that he's necessarily jealous, but I'm sure he is feeling some pangs of jealousy. Regardless, it's all up to him, and if it isn't important enough to him to put his music for commercial/critical scrutiny the VR has, then he is intimidated by his former bandmates success. If that's true, than its unfortunate. He has lost just about all credibility outside of us devoted fans and the mainstream media sees him as a sort of a dancing bear, whereas the VR guys have delivered and delivered big. Good album, Contraband and Slither is an amazing rock song. They deserve it.
DaBrookman
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 08:35:41 PM »

...wow, you really summed it up, WAR? (great screen name!). I wish Axl would set up some kind of info outlet for his devoted fans. I'd like to know what he's been up to!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »

Not sure of angry, but no doubt envious. ?

His former bandmates made it to places Axl had sought and never received acceptance from so that's got to sting to a degree.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 08:49:07 PM »

I hope he is pissed off, that'll at least give him some incentive to speed it up with Chinese Democracy if its finished and mixed up and all u have to do is pick out album art and sort out all the red tape then BOOM! It shouldnt be out any later than the summer of this yr and they shouldnt be on tour any later than autumn of this yr

Of course I could js be blinded by optimism  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 09:09:06 PM »

I think he knows he is sitting on something remarkable. I don't think he is envious at all, just biding.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 09:22:42 PM »

i dont think Axl i jealous in any way!  He knows whats hes about to do.. so i rather thinks he just  rofl or even hes just happy that Duff Slash and Matt are out there doing things right

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 09:29:28 PM »

Axl better have some killer album or he is really going to look like a schmuk. I mean velvet revolver are winning grammy's (something gnr has never done) and selling out arenas, whereas axl even with the gnr name and songlist had trouble on the last tour.

I'm the biggest axl fan here, but VR have some pretty catchy modern rock radio friendly tunes.... where it sounds like axl has a lot of epic ballads with strings and what not.

Another point is axl is trying to modernize the gnr sound to what he thinks is cool. Just because something is cool doesn't mean it will tear up the radio waves and the charts. Its not like Nine inch nails is ripping up the radio waves.

If axl is trying to top velvet revolver commercially he reallly has his hands full, and if i were him i'd be scared. If is trying to make a killer artist record i have no doubt it will be a success.. but commercial success and artistic success are too very different things

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 10:03:54 PM »

I think there must be some added pressure given the sucess of VR. They have really exceeded all expectations.
Axl seems like a competitive guy (especially with "Round 1" and the many disses on Slash etc.. ) so he'll want to show the world that he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
coldenim
Headliner

Who's gonna save you now

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »

yeah, I can imagine that axl is jealous. ?He probably thought along with the hundred critics out there that VR was a collision course waiting to happen. ?He never thought probably in a thousand years that vr would actually make it big. ?I mean who wouldn't be jealous of your former band mates, your fellow friends that are riding on the coat tails of there former fame. ?I think Axl has to be nervous, I mean something he put so much time in, and he is probably scared to step into the unknown. ?I think Axl is probably very happy with his new material, and like one of you said, He is just biding his time. ?As for the material of vr's, shure there an incredible band, but they wouldn't be to Axl, because let's face it, Axl is in for perfection and Contraband aint necessarily perfect. ?I think Axl, although as slow as an Ent! will make and istant classic of an album, and with the name GnR, he can make it turn to gold. I just hopes he releases it before VR's next album, because I have this inclination that it could be real damn good.

peace
Sino-lieS
Headliner

"...Just another day in Hell..."

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 10:27:50 PM »

HAHAHA  mack10 "..As slow as an Ent" Grin hihi rofl rofl

I either think Axl doubts CD and will never release it..or more likely is sitting on a mountain of good material and right now is the calm before the storm. I doubt Axl is jealous. He always seemed to like competition and being so talented, intriguing and raw should see him blow VR out of the water when he gets going. I am not downing VR either...to me they are okay. In this hip-hop, Justin Timberlake-Britney crap era, at least there is some rock, and that rock is from VR. Hopefully GnR will ressurrect Rock far further. ok

"You'll see it. I don't know if SOON is the word."
" ...just another day in Hell... "
Jungleboy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 10:33:39 PM »

Haha, I bet Axl is pretty jealous, I mean, whiles he is basically a joke to most of the public and music industry, the people that were 'throwing their carrers away' have gotten a grammy. O well, lets hope Chinese Democracy doesnt suck, or else saying we like Axl will probably get us beat, lol.
shamael
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 10:45:44 PM »

any rock band who  attends the grammy's are sellout's
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 10:48:27 PM »

Axl better have some killer album or he is really going to look like a schmuk. I mean velvet revolver are winning grammy's (something gnr has never done) and selling out arenas, whereas axl even with the gnr name and songlist had trouble on the last tour.

I'm the biggest axl fan here, but VR have some pretty catchy modern rock radio friendly tunes.... where it sounds like axl has a lot of epic ballads with strings and what not.

Another point is axl is trying to modernize the gnr sound to what he thinks is cool. Just because something is cool doesn't mean it will tear up the radio waves and the charts. Its not like Nine inch nails is ripping up the radio waves.

If axl is trying to top velvet revolver commercially he reallly has his hands full, and if i were him i'd be scared. If is trying to make a killer artist record i have no doubt it will be a success.. but commercial success and artistic success are too very different things

Well, GNR would have easily sold out shows on the last tour if they played at smaller venues like VR does. ?With that said, I do however think it was a mistake to play such big venues. ?

And GNR will be commercially successfull. ?There is no doubt in my mind. ?I think they will be bigger than VR once the ball starts rolling. ?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 10:50:37 PM »

any rock band who? attends the grammy's are sellout's

Nice opening post.. Roll Eyes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Annie
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 10:56:18 PM »

HELL NO! VELVET REVOLVER SUCKS! rant
estranged.1098
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 11:06:19 PM »

he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

Yeah, it was Axl that fired Slash, Duff... they didn't quit.  Roll Eyes
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 11:34:37 PM »

he did the right thing by dis-lodging the greatest American rock band ever and replacing these legends with a band full of circus-like characters.

Yeah, it was Axl that fired Slash, Duff... they didn't quit.? Roll Eyes

yeah and he made it so easy for them to stay didnt he - he's blameless  Roll Eyes

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 11:42:46 PM »

any rock band who? attends the grammy's are sellout's
Oh yeah, I'm sure if you were nominated for a Grammy you'd never show up to the event right? Roll Eyes

Not that it would ever happen in a million years though.

Tit.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 12:09:26 AM »

There are some truly laughable posts in this thread. VR did well but they are not a phenomenon. The Grammy win was nice but once again, rock music isn't what it once was when GnR were huge. Axl obviously doesn't gauge his success by what VR does or what  award they win.  To suggest that is ridiculous. Instead, Axl at this point is competing with history; his project must stand up next to AFD and UYI in quality and commerical success in order to be deemed a success on its own. VR had the luxury of escaping this pigeon hole but with the GnR name goes the legacy.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 12:42:51 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: