Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 03:02:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R Sign New Deal?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R Sign New Deal?  (Read 8721 times)
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 01:17:58 PM »

Probably another case of confusion with the Sanctuary publishing deal.

I don't think Universal would let them go after having invested so much money in this album.

If Axl paid his way out, yes, they would, but it would leave axl skint ( skint = without money)

Nothing to say
Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 01:21:07 PM »

If Axl paid his way out, yes, they would, but it would leave axl skint ( skint = without money)

Axl is far from broke... he just got PAID from Sanctuary, lol. but anyways, why not just say "without money"... that was pretty annoying.....

Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 01:24:25 PM »

Axl is far from broke... he just got PAID from Sanctuary, lol. but anyways, why not just say "without money"... that was pretty annoying.....

and why not ?

pleased to annoy you, my pleasure.

Nothing to say
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 02:05:13 PM »

There is a great article in Entertainment Weekly currently on the stands about Sanctuary Records and how it is signing all of these older, past successful artists such as Billy Idol, Chaka Khan, Megadeth, Lyndard Skynard, Kiss, Blonde, Earth, Wind and Fire among others. The article describes how Sanctuary can profit from these artists by offering them a literal one stop 360 degree business model, consolidating all holdings in the band, by offering them use of Sanctuary's publishing arm, merchandizing, booking agency, and managment all in one stop, thus cutting out the middle men. Sanctuary has been able to make profit even from modest selling artists like Morrissey.

EW cites GnR as a management client only, although I would totally understand the need to dump Geffen and sign with their publishing and managment team.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
madagas
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 02:48:05 PM »

Being on an independent would also give Axl much more artisitic/creative control of what the final product is. No compromising with the record label. Even if Chinese ends up on Geffen, his future releases could be with Sanctuary. I am sure Axl and Geffen are having quite a conversation right now. It is all about playing hardball. My understanding is that Gnr has one album left on their original contract. Thus, they/he owes them Chinese. However, if there is more than one album worth of material, then Axl will claim it is his because his contract is fulfilled and Geffen will claim it is theirs because they paid for the sessions. Maybe this is why Axl never finished all the vocals???-to claim there was no product!!!! There are alot of cool legal issues here and negotiating strategies. Unfortunately, it also shows you the ugly business side of things where it is "all about the benjamins" when you reach that level of status. It is interesting but very disheartening for the fans who just want to hear the guy sing. peace
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 02:57:38 PM by madagas » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 03:00:48 PM »

Damn! Anyone going to Tommys Show 2night??? If u get to talk to him, Dont ask about CD! Coz we know that! But ask about GNR recordcompany....

Geffen or Sanctuary!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2005, 03:31:59 PM »

Universal or BMG!

Maybe this is why Axl never finished all the vocals???

Maybe this is a part of the Chinese Democracy which is 95% done? Grin

Anyhow it seems that  the "GH" hinderer came to an end.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 06:02:35 PM »

Axl uses money from publishing deal to pay back Geffen and then GNR signs with Sanctuary.   nervous

can't say this thought hasn't crossed my mind.

would a move like this be unprecedented?

It'd be interesting info to know if an artist has done this in the past.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2005, 05:49:58 PM »

In talking about unprecedentedness, What if Axl even starts a new label?

Furthermore, if GN'R releases Chinese DemocracyS on both Universal and BMG at once, this is

the most record-breaking move I can imagine practically, ever. Talk about a new record!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 05:52:36 PM by ppbebe » Logged
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2005, 05:54:16 PM »

Furthermore, if GN'R releases Chinese Democracys both on GMG and on Uni at once, this is
The most record-breaking move I can imagine practically, ever. Talk about a new record!!!

Guns are still with Geffen. The Publishing Deal statement clearly stated that Axl had recorded tracks for Universal Music (which Geffen is a subsidary of).

If he had left Geffen and signed with Sanctuary Records, Sanctuary would be legally required to announce the deal as they are a public limited company.

Metal Hammer merely based there report on false information!
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2005, 05:58:41 PM »

Furthermore, if GN'R releases Chinese Democracys both on GMG and on Uni at once, this is
The most record-breaking move I can imagine practically, ever. Talk about a new record!!!

Guns are still with Geffen. The Publishing Deal statement clearly stated that Axl had recorded tracks for Universal Music (which Geffen is a subsidary of).

If he had left Geffen and signed with Sanctuary Records, Sanctuary would be legally required to announce the deal as they are a public limited company.

So, for clarity, Geffen are the record company, and Sanctuary are the management company?

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »

So, for clarity, Geffen are the record company, and Sanctuary are the management company?

Geffen are the Record Label (they are a subsidary of Interscope, who in turn are a subsidary of Universal Music Group who in turn are a subsidary of Vivendi Universal).

Sanctuary Music Publishing are the Music Publishers for any new material (the actual catalogue will be handled by Kobalt Muisc Group who do a lot of Sanctuary Music Publishing's work, Sanctuary Music Publishing are a branch of Sanctuary Group).

Sanctuary Artist Management are the Management Company (Guns n Roses are part of the New York roster, Merck Merck Mercuriadis is the band's manager (he also represents Jane's Addiction and Iron Maiden to name a few, and is CEO of Sanctuary Group - Sanctuary Artist Management are also a subsidary of Sanctuary Group).

Guns n Roses have no affiliation whatsoever with Sanctuary Records (who are a subsidary of Sanctuary Group) at the moment. Tommy Stinson's solo work is represented by Sanctuary Records but the band have no affiliation, Tommy is signed to Sanctuary Records only as a solo artist.

I think that's everything!  Wink
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2005, 06:33:35 PM »

Where did I say Metal Hammer was right?  Roll Eyes

besides, that's as may be not yet, but Axl probably is having/ had quite a conversation with Geffen (or others) like madagus said. Who the fuck nose about the future.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2005, 06:38:33 PM »

Where did I say Metal Hammer was right?? Roll Eyes

besides, that's as may be not yet, but Axl probably is having/ had quite a conversation with Geffen (or others) like madagus said. Who the fuck nose about the future.

In a way I agree with what your saying.

Once Axl has fulfilled his contract with Geffen he will most likely join Sanctuary Records, it just "makes sense". But at the moment the fact that he is still listed as an artist under all of Geffen, Interscope and Universal's websites indicate that he is still under contract and has obligations to fulfill!

Does anyone know the last record deal that Guns n Roses signed with Geffen? How many albums did they sign for?
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2005, 08:33:56 PM »

Does anyone know the last record deal that Guns n Roses signed with Geffen? How many albums did they sign for?

They originally signed for 7 albums if I remember correctly.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
jgfnsr
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2005, 09:41:39 PM »

They originally signed for 7 albums if I remember correctly.

Well, if any of that is still in effect, than wouldn't Chinese Democracy make #7?  Huh

1. Appetite for Destruction
2. Lies
3. Use Your Illusion I
4. Use Your Illusion II
5. The Spaghetti Incident
6. GN'R Live Era
7. Chinese Democracy
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2005, 09:48:41 PM »

greatest hits

free of all the chains...  Tongue

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2005, 12:56:54 AM »

CD was meant to be number 7 but of course so much time has passed the label felt it needed to recoup some of the money it invested. So as of now, Axl most likely has a financial obligation to Universal, but not a contractual one. He could conceivably buy his way out with this latest deal and sign on to Sanctuary. This could be the part of the legal wranglings holding this puppy up.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »

Well, if any of that is still in effect, than wouldn't Chinese Democracy make #7?  Huh

1. Appetite for Destruction
2. Lies
3. Use Your Illusion I
4. Use Your Illusion II
5. The Spaghetti Incident
6. GN'R Live Era
7. Chinese Democracy

I guess it depends whether you consider UYI as two different albums or a single double album...And as Norway said there has been the Greatest Hits in the meantime.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2005, 12:24:20 PM »

I guess it depends whether you consider UYI as two different albums or a single double album...And as Norway said there has been the Greatest Hits in the meantime.

You could also argue that Lies was an EP rather than an album (they signed for 7 album). It would have to be more complicated than normal wouldn't it!

Wouldn't there contract mean only "new material" (rather than GH which is just a rehasing of old material). So with that in mind (and assuming Lies is an album and UYI is 2 albums).

1. AFD
2. Lies
3. UYI1
4. UYI2
5. SI
6. Live Era? (I suppose it was "new material" as the live stuff hadn't been released before).
7. Chinese Democracy?

Although Geffen could argue that AFD, Lies, UYI (counting as one, not two) and SI are the only albums Guns have released! So they are contracted to 3 more!

I don't really know it has to be said. What is certain at the moment is that if CD came out tomorrow it would be on Geffen but we all know that that isn't gonna happen!  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: