Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 02:42:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228460 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  even if CD is awesome ...10 yrs...who couldnt??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: even if CD is awesome ...10 yrs...who couldnt??  (Read 19560 times)
Timmy
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »

even if the album sucks, it would be rewarding enough just to have the damn thing...

T.T.
?.?.
AxlRoseVen
Drink Til U Drop
Banned
VIP

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 07:51:52 PM »

anyway I just prefer to never hear a new gnr's stuff than hearing a stupid album made by GNR...all what i mean is GNR has made amazing albums from the start but Slash couldn't make the same with his poor bands like Snakepit n' V.R so it's been fine to wait for a new gnr album after 10 years for sure ...Slash also could to do to the same but he did prefer to be around making those kind of shit like their bands which no one seems to hear these days  smoking
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 08:08:39 PM »

I think it will be great,but I am only going by Axl's past record.

And Wylde didn't give much of a contribution to Guns....i saw an interview with him where he said he wrote all these riffs,but he left and used those riffs for the first Black Label Society record Sonic Brew.(Awsome fucking record) smoking

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
bad tripp
Headliner

Here Today... Probably Here Tommorrow

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »

money and time dont create good albums every time. just because there has been so much time spent on it doesnt mean it will be a brilliant album. as nothing can live up to the hype of this 10 years in the making 11 million dollar piece of work

CamelWides
What if Chinese Democracy is only released in China?
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 08:20:13 PM »

RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 08:41:59 PM »

overpopulation
Make your bags!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 08:47:43 PM »

money doesnt equal great art

some of the greatest albums of all time were recorded on shoe string budgets

thats what i miss, bands going into an old fashioned reel to reel studio and just hammering out the tracks as a band

no protools, no computers

get back to the old fashioned way

it worked for many decades!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 08:55:23 PM »

thats what i miss, bands going into an old fashioned reel to reel studio and just hammering out the tracks as a band

no protools, no computers

get back to the old fashioned way

it worked for many decades!

Why do you miss Pearl Jam?  Tongue

How can you miss something that's basically been "the thing" quite recently? All these young bands who sounded almost the same. The Hives, The Strokes, The Datsuns, The White Stripes.....

Just because you use computers, doesn't mean your music loses something. The problem is when people use them just because they have to.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »

I give Axl a free pass because everyone goes on and on how its been 10 years.

it hasnt and do u realize how hard it must be to find the right bandmembers with the right chemistry?

i say that took Axl much of that time just trying to find that.

whether it takes axl 5 years 10 years or 6 months expectations are great. As much as i love Contraband if CD is on par with that i will be and im sure many others will be disappointed.

I just hope everyone gives CD a chance and dont damn it by saying "it cant be better than Appetite" before they ever hear it.

i think Axl is making one of the greatest albums ever and however long it takes him to do that ill be here supporting him.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2005, 09:15:18 PM »

I just hope everyone gives CD a chance and dont damn it by saying "it cant be better than Appetite" before they ever hear it.

While I agree with that statement somewhat, I am not sure how he can possibly release an album that will accomplish more and have longer legs than Appetite did. Off that album you have a universally recognized top 10 guitar riff, 20 million in album sales, and a universal stadium theme in WTTJ that is played at every sporting venue from here to Timbuktu, not to mention PC, which is also timeless.

While CD will probably have some major epic stuff like NR and Estranged, nothing on there will surpass NR in terms of its place in rock history with a top 10 riff and one of the most famous videos of all time.

No matter how good CD is, people are just going to slag the rockers as not being as timeless as Jungle and SCOM, and all of the epics will be looked at as ripoffs of the NR, Estranged formula. That's just the way it is unfortunately when you have that body of work to go up against and you dump the band that made those songs along the way. Unless this incarnation of GNR releases something that popular culture embraces more than songs like Jungle, SCOM, NR and estranged, it will be viewed as a failure when you disbanded a championship team to bring in a group of guys who can't make it out of the conference finals.  Right or wrong, that is something he will have to deal with.
CamelWides
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2005, 09:22:35 PM »

I am so happy with Contraband, as it's the only new rock album that I know of, and I hope it chips away chunks of the alternative scene which, along with rap, is like a cancer on my radio dial.

If CD just rocks, I will be in heaven. If it sells as well as Contraband and works its way onto radio and such, then it will do wonders for returning rock into the mainstream, whether the studio execs and radio homos like it or not.

I'm not much of a fan of Motely Crue (kick start my heart and "girls girl girls" are some of the best rock songs ever though), but I hope they come out with a Contraband/CD quality album too, to help  in the war against the pussy "alternative" stuff the music industry is shoving down peoples throats.

Rock fans would do well to support all three bands, unless they just don't like their music.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2005, 10:18:46 PM »

Last night I was going through some of my old interviews I kept from magazines and in 2001 I believe Axl said that the Illusion records weren't complete in his eyes.....And that he gave into a lot of pressure from the band/record company and shit...He doesn't want to put out something he doesn't think is done....I think considering the pressure and actually releasing Illusions they turned out great.
In my opinion,I think we should let the fucking guy finish this beast then put it out.....I don't think Axl will dissapoint. smoking

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

why not Naupis?

why cant he write a bigger song than NR?
why cant he have bigger rockers than wttj and PC

thats all im saying

we havent heard anything yet so who is to say it isnt possible for him to do that?

lets all listen to the cd than compare and contrast the album to other albums but i refuse to say it cant be better than this and this before we've even heard it.

noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2005, 11:41:31 PM »

I give Axl a free pass because everyone goes on and on how its been 10 years.

D, you can say the new band hasn't been around for 10 years, but in reality axl has had 8-10 years to write new material and hasn't put anything but omg out to the public.

using the revolving members excuse is just weak because most of them might have stayed if not for axl dragging his feet and looking for the perfect cd.

sorry it's been too damn long and there isn't a viable excuse for the delays.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2005, 11:59:21 PM »

Naupis you keep mentioning how AFD has certain songs that are legendary. Thats true....but why does that mean CD cant have as good if not better than those songs?Records are made to be broken, Cd will not have the gaudy record sales that AFD does. Its probably impossible. But that doesnt mean CD cant be a great album.

We have to take this album and put it in context of today, not 1987. I am expecting an album that is as good if not better than the old material. Strictly on the music...not the numbers.....

I wanna see the band have the same ferosity and intensity that old gnr displayed in their albums. Stuff liek that. Comparing is natural and fine...but it can only go so far. As long as CD is a great album, I will consider this band a success.

As for the whole 10 yrs thing. You people want your cake and eat it to. You want this to be a band effort yet you complain about the amount of time it has taken. When will you people realize that Axl wanted to get the right band in order to move foward with music. That means finding the right chemistry on a musical and personal level with the band...and the band with eac other. That takes time. The GNr timeline is not that hard to figure out. Serious music has been layed down only in the 2000's .....thats 5 yrs!.....and not just music...music that Axl wants to show meaning with.

Axl could have easily put together a supergroup and shelled out albums left and right. Im not saying he hasnt made mistakes but the guys gameplan is in the right place musically. He decided he was gonna take all the time in the world until he felt its all good. Theres too much on the line for him not to. This album and band will define his career and legacy. He can raise his status or take a step back.

I would say from 2002 on its been on Axl. Anything before that is not delays and stuff. In my mind the clock started from 2002.

We all know the lyrics and vocals on this album are going to be 1st class. the million dollar question is the sound... and how the band meshed with Axl. were they able to create memorable music.....that cant be answered until we get the album in our hands

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2005, 12:05:35 AM »

i agree 1000000000 percent Young Gunner

so u are saying axl wrote guitar riffs? drum parts? bass parts?

no way dude!!!!!!!!!!!

Axl may have tinkered with the piano but i say he took a long extended break to find the proper musicians, especially after Duff left.

if u think he will use any of those riffs any member of the old band wrote u are insane.

they started fresh once the final carnation of the band got together

hell slash didnt quit till when? 96?

its been a  long time but if its an amazing record it wont matter bout time.

u cant rush inspiration

i agree withyounggunner, it wont sell like Appetite but the music i think will be better!

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2005, 12:18:25 AM »

Thats true....but why does that mean CD cant have as good if not better than those songs?

Sales aside, my barometer for success of this project will be him surpassing the musical achievements and cultural relevance of the songs created in the past. Jungle is played multiple times at almost every sporting event in this county, the riff from SCOM is generally found on any top 25 riff list, PC is an anthemic song that is still played heavily on rock formats today, the NR song and video are almost untoppable as it is always in the top 5 of any video list, hell...Appetite practically killed off the hair metal craze in the 80's.

None of those things I listed have anything to do with sales, yet they were all achieved by Axl and the old guys. I would argue if the new band doesn't at least somewhat duplicate that sort of success and give our culture long lasting songs and NR Rain like videos that the fans of GNR have been shortchanged as you took an entity that wrote Jungle,SCOM and NR and replaced them with a group of guys who wrote great music, but not music that still gets played almost daily 20 years later.

CD will no doubt be a great album, I just don't think its possible that anything on that album will replace any of those other songs as the primary songs you think of when you here GNR or epic music videos. I may be wrong, but I just don't see them putting anything out there that will be held in higher esteem than Jungle or any of the other songs I mentioned in the view of the general public.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2005, 12:24:35 AM »

Sales aside, my barometer for success of this project will be him surpassing the musical achievements and cultural relevance of the songs created in the past. Jungle is played multiple times at almost every sporting event in this county, the riff from SCOM is generally found on any top 25 riff list, PC is an anthemic song that is still played heavily on rock formats today, the NR song and video are almost untoppable as it is always in the top 5 of any video list, hell...Appetite practically killed off the hair metal craze in the 80's.
Ok so then when Cd comes out go away for 5-10 yrs and then come back. That is when we will know the impact of CD and its songs. New songs dont make charts as soon as they come out. Its been said there will be a few anthem type songs on the album. SO we will se ehow those stack up with WWTJ and PC......

CD will no doubt be a great album, I just don't think its possible that anything on that album will replace any of those other songs as the primary songs you think of when you here GNR or epic music videos.
Why do the new songs have to replace the old songs!?! Why cant we have 2 great eras from GNR? Thats the beauty of this whole thing. Is to POSSIBLY see Axl take 2 different bands in 2 completely different eras and make meanigful music. Why cant GNR be a dynasty of great music? Why does it have to be old or new. I never go tthat. Nothing will replace the old material. The old material is great and memorable. But that doiesnt mean there cant be other music as good, on par or better than that. And memorable at the same time....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2005, 02:01:52 AM »

i dont really care what you think naupis anyone else on the board,or the world at hand or the cultural impact

if i listen to CD and the songs inspire me and move me more than the old songs, to me it will be the greatest success ever.

thats why Estranged will always shit on NR to me. it isnt as famous but is way better.

Things are different and biased these days i can give u some examples

Prince for instance changed his name to a symbol and created one of the greatest masterpieces of his career "emancipation" 3 cds 36 brand new songs all great quality

but critics couldnt get past his name change long enough to give that record its proper due.

same with axl, no matter how Great CD is, some critics and fans will never accept it because it isnt the old band.

thats why i dont care if there are any hits or what have u

all i know is, ive been listening to Madagascar and The Blues for 3 years now, and i just got through listening to Maddy and it still moves me and affects me emotionally as hard now 3 years later than the first time i ever heard it.

so i could care less about those things u mentioned, if it moves me and inpires me more than the old stuff, thats good enough in my book

since ive made sense of the quotes and can understand them and relate them to my life, Maddy is easily a top 10 GNR song of all time for me and it isnt suppose to be a big gun but even if it really is thats fine because its one of the most brilliant,innovative, amazing pieces of music that ive ever heard.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2005, 03:37:18 AM »

Well, those who take the time to research the story will realize that what Axl has done is totally unprecedented in the history of rock: the complete remodeling and resurrection of a first ballot Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame band and then arming it with a new album of (hopefully) relevant and historically significant music that scores huge on the charts. I think the vast majority of the people will recognize that not just "anybody", even with 10 years and 13 million to burn, could pull that off.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: