Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2024, 04:22:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228453 Posts in 43273 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  even if CD is awesome ...10 yrs...who couldnt??
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: even if CD is awesome ...10 yrs...who couldnt??  (Read 19412 times)
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« on: February 09, 2005, 10:59:45 AM »

Ill be pretty brief in my initial statement/question.

Axl as the main songwriter in nu gnr has had over 10 yrs of writing alone and debatedly 7 or 8 yrs writing , recording etc with various people of the highest caibre (moby,wylde,navarro,brian may possible izzy contribtions, 7? or 8 of the most high profile producers out there, numerous famous composers,etc etc etc....and last but not least the guys in his band....inc bucket and other former members)

This said after god knows how many yrs and help from amazingly talented musicians, even if CD is amazing.....how can Axl really get much credit for that??...I mean I would assume with $13 million to spend and the best producers/musicians money can buy? for a 6 - 8 year period most artists could make a pretty spellbinding album....So what would ....or could possibly make it so special???

remebering that bands like the beatles and Led Zepsimply churned out classics evry year.....seriously one album of classics a year.

Also whereas most bands starting off have to deal with day to day things like 40 hr a week jobs /poverty (and please dont gimme the being rich law suits stuff....thats of his own making)  either way most people starting musically dont have the luxuries of millions to spend/ endless time/ endless highly talented people to help etc...so with all this why could it possibly have taken so long??..unless at least a part of the puzzle is missing chemistryof the old band....like izzies chords , slashs riffs over them and Axl feeling at home being....simply himself singing.

The one saving grace Axl has in my eyes (cos if CD is anything below awesome ...its TKO slash in my eyes) is that he is a great lyricist....if his lyrics are timeless....THEN for me that will be worth the wait.

I said Id be brief....but im drunk Smiley...and I wasnt...

ur views?HuhHuh??

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »

you're right

nevertheless I cant wait to hear the beast!
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 01:09:33 PM »

Your post is 100% accurate.  I too am looking forward to seeing what 10+ years of work and $13 million results in, but even if it is amazing...so what?  Almost anyone with a shred of song writing ability could take those resource and produce an amazing album.

Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 01:18:05 PM »

No, it's not like this.

You forgot that the CDs in Led Zep / Pink Floyd period had 7 or 8 songs each one, so they were a lot easier to make. And seems GN'R worked in a number of songs at least 10 times bigger.

GN'R is not all this years making only one CD, you can't forget it.

peace

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 01:36:37 PM »

Your post is 100% accurate.? I too am looking forward to seeing what 10+ years of work and $13 million results in, but even if it is amazing...so what?? Almost anyone with a shred of song writing ability could take those resource and produce an amazing album.

I don't know about 100% accurate.  Izzy contributions??  I don't ever remembering Izzy coming into the picture.  Who really cares about how much the cd is going to end up costing?  Its not going to take away from the fact it's a great cd (if it is a great cd).  And I disagree with people saying ANYONE could write a great album with the money Axl spent on the cd.  Thats a bunch of shit.  Making great albums isn't the easiest thing in the world no matter your budget and who you have working with you.   

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Funeral
Rocker

Welcome to the neighborhood

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 02:15:46 PM »

.. he knows this project might be his last recorded legacy left to the world.

So there's the BEST reason for giving himself, the band and the music the time it requires.

You're right on the money!  Trust me Axl will not give into pressure from anyone.  If he decides tomorrow that he needs to scratch everything and start all over, that's what will happen.  We just have to be patient and hope CD eventually sees the light of day.

-F
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 02:25:50 PM »

Axl as the main songwriter in nu gnr has had over 10 yrs of writing alone and debatedly 7 or 8 yrs writing , recording etc with various people of the highest caibre (moby,wylde,navarro,brian may possible izzy contribtions, 7 ?or 8 of the most high profile producers out there, numerous famous composers,etc etc etc....and last but not least the guys in his band....inc bucket and other former members)
The guys that were brought in originally, were brought in to possibly play with the old band. Although Im sure some material came from guys like ZAk, May, etc I doubt Axl will be using it. The only guy that I can see having a big contribution on the album is Josh Freese and Bucket. Thats about it.

how can Axl really get much credit for that??...I mean I would assume with $13 million to spend and the best producers/musicians money can buy ?for a 6 - 8 year period most artists could make a pretty spellbinding album....So what would ....or could possibly make it so special???

Do producers make the music? The just direct and oversee it. In order to get the best producers you have to shell out some cash. Most big bands today make sure they work with top notch producers. You also have to remember GNr have made a wide variety of songs over the years. Hence Axl brought in different types of producers for particular songs.

Also whereas most bands starting off have to deal with day to day things like 40 hr a week jobs /poverty (and please dont gimme the being rich law suits stuff....thats of his own making) ?either way most people starting musically dont have the luxuries of millions to spend/ endless time/ endless highly talented people to help etc...so with all this why could it possibly have taken so long??..unless at least a part of the puzzle is missing chemistryof the old band....like izzies chords , slashs riffs over them and Axl feeling at home being....simply himself singing.
Why get on Axl and GNr because they arent coming from the gutter? You can only come from the gutter once. Even if the old band stayed togther they still owul dhave took their time, spent th emoney, etc to make an album. AFD happened once and thats it. How can a band grow if they just stay in that whole grime phase? When you get big you get rich. Its a natural progression. There are still ways to stay true to your roots and be able to progresss.

The one saving grace Axl has in my eyes (cos if CD is anything below awesome ...its TKO slash in my eyes) is that he is a great lyricist....if his lyrics are timeless....THEN for me that will be worth the wait.

In my mind Axl will show a lot if he comes out on top with this new band and album. He has the chance to take 2 different bands and kinds of people and make them great. Axl is like a great point guard. He elevates the level of play around him. Hopefully he has done that with the new band. IMO, the lyrics and vocals on CD will be mind blowing. The question for me is how will it all sound with the rest of the band. Will the band be able to capture all their talents and mesh them all together into a gnr sound. Not old school gnr. A more modern gnr. If they were able to do that then....its gonna be a special ride....

FInally...youre post actually proved a point. The point being how Axl isnt as selfish as we all think. You named a million people that you think might be ob the album. Band members and Axls actions have proved that he is looking down every street corner, tunring over every stone and incorporating all of that into his music. Thats whats great about Axl. And if he was able to bring it all together in a gnr kind of way then again...we are in for a real treat...

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 02:36:49 PM »

Many of the best albums ever were written in a very short period of time. Black Sabbath's Paranoid was written and recorded in like 9 days...Back In Black by Ac/Dc couldnt have taken that long..And i know thereis more but there are some great albums done very quickly..It could be 30 years and absolutely suck...but CD is gonna be great

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 02:50:52 PM »

I knew someone was going to eventually say something like this.  It's bullshit!  Putting an awesome album out is very difficult no matter how you look at it. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 02:54:25 PM »

He could long have released a dozen albums and MAKE 13 million dollars if he wanted to - but would they be quality?

I don't think so.

Appetite was done in under a month, and I would argue it's "quality" is equal to any rock album ever written. I would have much preffered a new album every year or 2 similar to the "quality" of Appetite or the Illusions than wait 10 years for an album that arguably won't even have the kind of impact or timeless success Appetite had.

While some consider the ridiculous wait for this project a committment to quality, I would argue it could also support the idea Axl was struggling to come up with qualtiy material or a finished product, as he has shown in his past projects he can pump out timeless work in a short time period when dedicated to actually finishing an album. It's all just a matter of perspective.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 02:59:28 PM »

:rant:It's bullshit!  Putting an awesome album out is very difficult no matter how you look at it. rant

Just granting damnthehaters's request. Tongue

I mean I would assume with $13 million to spend and the best producers/musicians money can buy  for a 6 - 8 year period most artists could make a pretty spellbinding album....So what would ....or could possibly make it so special???

Objection!!! It?s about $11 million according to the recent article of the Times. Update it.

remebering that bands like the beatles and Led Zepsimply churned out classics evry year.....seriously one album of classics a year.

To add to Fuckin? Gunner?s excellent post, they say that Led Zeppelin's rush recording, like in their self-titled debut done under thirty hours, shows in the lack of originality composition-wise.

madagas
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 03:00:32 PM »

Appetite was a fluke-lightning in a bottle. I agree with Conny about the album's importance to Axl's recorded legacy. His entire career will be defined by this record. It's his game to win or lose...his legacy. All his artistic ability has been put in to this. Gnr will always be defined by AFD. Axl as an artist will be defined by Chinese. ?yes
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 03:23:14 PM »

I would take 4 or 5 great albums over 1 awesome one.  Axl's legacy?  He has already taken 10 years out of his prime, in basically in hiding.  CD better be freakin awesome (although I don't think we'll ever hear it).  I will remember Axl for the old GNR.  Now there was a guy who put his talent to great use!

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »

Gnr will always be defined by AFD. Axl as an artist will be defined by Chinese.   yes

I don't think that's exactly what he's aiming at. no

If that's the case,  they should change the project name to Axl Rose and "so and so" band and He would have, but he hasn't. To me this is not an Axl Rose Band.

It?s safe to say  Axl as a producer will be defined after Chinese. All his artistic ability of today has been put in to this.

Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 03:55:43 PM »

I don't know about this one. On one hand, it's easier to write a bunch of great songs over 10 years than it is to write them all in one year. But then, some people never write a great song. So if this album has, say, 12 great songs, and there's a more waiting in the wings as we've been told, then you have to take the album on those merits. Because ultimately good music is good music. You can't scientifically engineer it. Plus, this hasn't been entirely a process of writing. There was also a band that had to be re-built, and in some cases re-built again. All in all, though, I think Axl should have put something out AT LEAST in spring 2001, a good four years ago.

I've seen enough.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »

What my problem is with CD, is Axl reportedly isnt writing any of the music. Which to me is far more important than lyrics. I mean shit, i dont have Axl's voice but give me enough time and i might come up with some amazing lyrics any band can use them. But it doesnt impress me. Writing notes/music is alot more difficult IMO.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 04:14:22 PM »

What my problem is with CD, is Axl reportedly isnt writing any of the music. Which to me is far more important than lyrics. I mean shit, i dont have Axl's voice but give me enough time and i might come up with some amazing lyrics any band can use them. But it doesnt impress me. Writing notes/music is alot more difficult IMO.
For me, writing amazing lyrics is far more difficult.
Besides, I think you'd better not believe rumours.
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 05:43:23 PM »

10 yrs 11million dollars. So you could make a album just as good?  Yeah anyone could couldnt they, I think not. Dont u think theres a reason behind all the yrs and money, a reason, a damn reason.  Axl is the reason they put up with it, cause of AXL. Hes fucken AXL. Do u get it.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 06:11:41 PM »

i dont even agree a little bit with this statement.

Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd had a much easier time than what Axl has right now. besides judging what is classic and what isnt is so debatable it doesnt even matter

"whole lotta love" is classic? Roll Eyes not to me it isnt.

Axl has an entire legacy to live up too plus LZ and PF didnt have really anything before them so everything they tried was pretty much brand new

Axl has to try and create innovative,classic, awesome music in an era where almost everything has already been done before, thats a much more challenging task than any other band in music history.

people get off this 10 years bullshit.

the new band have been together since 99-00

if u think axl will use any songs written before the new band u are crazy.

im sure when he had the lineup in place he wanted, he started over, may have kept some of his sketches and lyrics he came up with, but any music written by anyone not in the current lineup was scrapped im almost positive of it.

give axl some slack

i dont care if this record takes 20 years to make, if its great it is great

making a classic amazing record isnt some easy feat *which is why a classic album doesnt happen often*

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jgfnsr
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 06:29:30 PM »

It's still anybody's guess just how much Axl really cares, but this is exactly the no-win situation he's caught between.

After all this time, with all they hype, people are expecting nothing less than an absolute masterpiece.

But even if they get a masterpiece, their response will be much of the above.? A decade in the making, millions and millions of dollars, a revolving door of musicians and producers, etc. etc.

Axl is facing a 2,000 pound bull and could be gored on either horn.

Which is why I think he's ultimately making this record for himself.?

Anything after that, whether it be commerical success, critics reviews, general acceptance of the new band, is an after-thought.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: