Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 01:35:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228535 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff interview: talks about VR & GNR early days; says firing Steven was moronic
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff interview: talks about VR & GNR early days; says firing Steven was moronic  (Read 13849 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 08:30:39 PM »

difference is Axl has always stuck to his version which makes me think he is honest.? Slash and Duff have changed their stories more times than teenage kids caught selling drugs and are being interrogated by the top police officers on the force.

How many times did they change their stories?  Please cite examples.

Saying it was a mistake to get rid of steven and how that was the downfall of the band, is indirectly saying Matt sucks and did a poor job.? *reading between the lines of course* and since i think Matt sucks i have no problem with that statement!

hihi

No, its not.  Its not saying anything about Matt.

In the article, he didnt say that he wasnt responsible (which is how youve seemed to interpreted it), in fact "If we're telling you you're too fucked up then you're too fucked up!'" explicitly acknowledges his responsibility on his part.  So he thinks it was "moronic" or hypocritical for a bunch of addicts to kick out another addict...Whats the big deal?
jgfnsr
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 10:17:14 PM »

FACT:
Axl wanted Stven out because it is rumored he shot heroin into Erin and had sex with her. I believe Axl refers to it in a Rolling Stone interview in '92 or '93.

I think what Duff was trying to say is that they pointed out to Stephen that they were all in a a state but able to play.? Steven simply had reached a whole new low when compared to the others.? As far as I recall, all members except Steven had quit heroin after the Rolling Stones gigs? (coke and booze is another matter) .? The band could play and work but Steven could not.?
Along with Axls personal anger over Erin their decision to let him go made sense at the time. They were probably under a ton of pressure to follow Appetite plus they were still very young and inexperienced.
They stuck by Scott because they are man enough to have looked at their pasts, acknowledged their mistakes and learned positive lessons from them.? I see notihing wrong with what Duff has said.
Also, if you read about Stevens continued bad behaviour by Kevin DeBrow it seems like his sacking was justified. Some people you just can't reach.
peace,
Intercourse.

Before you come around here waivin' your "facts" around, make sure ya get 'em right dipshit.? Tongue

Here's the bit from the 3-part '92 interview with Del James you can find right here at HTGTH...

DEL: Want to talk about another former member of Guns, drummer Steven
? ? ? ? Adler?

AXL: The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that I
? ? ?was the dictator behind it. The truth is, I probably fought a little harder to keep
? ? ?him in the band, because I wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other
? ? ?guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because
? ? ?Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's
? ? ?straight. Most of the time he isn't. He's the type of person who wants everything
? ? ?handed to him, and he did get it handed to him. He got it handed to him from me.
? ? ?At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give
? ? ?him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've
? ? ?made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the
? ? ?band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did
? ? ?what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in
? ? ?Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of
? ? ?Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a
? ? ?selfish dick! He's been able to live off of that money, buy a shitload of drugs and
? ? ?hire lawyers to sue me. If and when he loses the lawsuit he has against us, and
? ? ?he has to pay those lawyers, if he has any money left, it'll be the money that
? ? ?came from Guns N' Roses and myself. At this point I really don't care what
? ? ?happens to Steven Adler, because he's taken himself out of my life, out of my
? ? ?care and concern. I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged
? ? ?person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing
? ? ?we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers,
? ? ?we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly
? ? ?killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because
? ? ?her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up
? ? ?with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots
? ? ?her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to
? ? ?him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from
? ? ?having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his
? ? ?actions.
And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to
? ? ?deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of
? ? ?problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I
? ? ?did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass.
? ? ?I need to keep him in my life for you? Fuck you!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 10:19:44 PM by Illogical Phallus » Logged
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 10:18:25 PM »

? In the article, he didnt say that he wasnt responsible (which is how youve seemed to interpreted it), in fact "If we're telling you you're too fucked up then you're too fucked up!'" explicitly acknowledges his responsibility on his part.? So he thinks it was "moronic" or hypocritical for a bunch of addicts to kick out another addict...Whats the big deal?

Another way of looking at it, and i've read this statement before from Duff years ago, is that they confronted Adler about his drug use. Duff and Slash were fucked up. Fucked up guys in general with the drug n' drink.

And they, even in their state could tell how fucked up Adler was. "Man, wer'e fucked up man, but you Popcorn are fucked up". ?Shocked

And the most well known breaking point was the cival war messups. Seems as though duff and slash at least perform in the studio

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Gemini Guy
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2005, 11:03:05 PM »

all i know, is on the BTM, ADLER blamed everyone, not just Axl.

So take it from Steven's own mouth, it wasnt only Axl, it was the entire band.

difference is Axl has always stuck to his version which makes me think he is honest.

Using your logic, that makes Steven 100% truthful as well, because he's never once changed his story.? Somehow I bet you feel differently about Steven sticking to the same story as you do Axl sticking to that story.

And as others have asked, name one example where Slash and Duff changed their stories on Steven.

Axl Rose: I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction.

See, that's what I am talking about.  Axl deceived people into believing that.  The reality is that Axl gave Steven a portion of publishing that Axl never earned to begin with.  Axl did not write "one goddamn note" on songs such as "Mr Brownstone" and "Think About You" and "It's So easy", yet Axl received a portion of the publishing royalties for them.

So Axl is lying and misleading people to believe that those publishing rights were all his, when in fact he gave Steven the same thing everyone else gave him, portions of songs that he didn't intially write.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 11:09:27 PM by Gemini Guy » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2005, 11:33:44 PM »

im sayin steven didnt come on BTM and blame Axl, he called out the entire band, but people on this board are on here talking bullshit how axl said "him or me"

Jarmo has every single article on GNR just about

someone show me where axl actually said that and ill apologize but i dont believe it till i see that.

i have a guitar legends magazine where Slash talks mad shit about steven and talks why he was kicked out and slash didnt seem to have any regrets or problems.

I just want Duff to give it a rest, fuck it it happened almost a decade and a half ago

when Duff gives those interviews, misinformed people blame axl, just like a lot are on here.

im sure if i felt like taking an hour out of my time i could find tons of slash and duff flip flops but im not gonna waste that much time so 2 or 3 of u will read it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 12:14:28 AM »

when Duff gives those interviews, misinformed people blame axl, just like a lot are on here.

It seems like youre the only one who  thinks he was somehow referring to Axl.

im sure if i felt like taking an hour out of my time i could find tons of slash and duff flip flops but im not gonna waste that much time so 2 or 3 of u will read it.

Just give a few...After all, they do it so much, and youve obviously taken notice many times...it shouldnt be that hard.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 01:06:37 AM »

see just when i start liking Duff he goes and says shit like this and pisses me right back off again

Duff hello u stupid fuck u voted him outta the band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get over it!

were u too fucked up and drunk to remember?

it wasnt moronic, at the time it was the right thing to do and what a slap in the face that is to matt

that post if u read between the lines is kinda putting matt down.

Relax dude. I agree you are being a tad paranoid. He isn't taking shots at Matt.  All he is saying that it was moronic that Steven got kicked out of a band for being so fucked up when the rest of the band was all fucked up too. Besides I have a feeling that the word is supposed to be Ironic....

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 01:14:55 AM »

im sayin steven didnt come on BTM and blame Axl, he called out the entire band, but people on this board are on here talking bullshit how axl said "him or me"

someone show me where axl actually said that and ill apologize but i dont believe it till i see that.

i have a guitar legends magazine where Slash talks mad shit about steven and talks why he was kicked out and slash didnt seem to have any regrets or problems.

I just want Duff to give it a rest, fuck it it happened almost a decade and a half ago

You really need to relax. He isn't changing stories or blaming Axl.  Just because he said it was moronic or ironic doesn't mean he is denying doing it. He is just looking back.. I have looked back at plenty of things I have done in teh past and decided they were dumb. Doesn't mean I didn't do them......

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2005, 01:22:48 AM »

i never said Duff was blaming axl but fans take that the wrong way and always seem to make axl the bad guy.

here in a little bit when i get some time i will sift through some articles. so just hold tight!

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2005, 02:15:58 AM »

That was in BHM. In 1991-1992 when he reformed Roadcrew with Vain he blamed only Axl, because 'Slash and Duff were always my buddies, but Axl hated me from the first time'.

Unfortunately he doesn't.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2005, 04:40:29 AM »

u know something honestly

with all the circumstances of what happened with Erin, even if axl did say that, who could blame him?

am i right?

think if someone did that to your wife? what would u do?

probably a lot worse than wanting someone kicked out of your band.

I think its a ridiculous argument anyway

do u think if steven stayed in the band that somehow duff and slash wouldnt have signed their rights away?

do u really think anything would be different today if steven hadnt been fired?

so really all of this is for nothing cause he wouldve only remained in GNR the same amount of time as the others anyway so it isnt even worth arguing about.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2005, 06:11:10 AM »

I don't think we should argue about this, but we can talk  Wink

u know something honestly

with all the circumstances of what happened with Erin, even if axl did say that, who could blame him?

am i right?

think if someone did that to your wife? what would u do?

probably a lot worse than wanting someone kicked out of your band.

I've never said that firing Steven wasn't right. I've never said firing him was right. I only wrote about who wanted him to be fired the most. If Steven had done those things with Erin, then Axl could have done worse things with him.

do u really think anything would be different today if steven hadnt been fired?

For sure. But I don't know if it'd be better or worse. Maybe we wouldn't have the UYIs. Maybe only one album. Maybe 8 albums. We don't know.

do u think if steven stayed in the band that somehow duff and slash wouldnt have signed their rights away?

I think it has nothing to do with Steven, although Izzy could have stayed with them a bit longer.

Rollin' on the streets
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2005, 08:28:04 AM »

Before you come around here waivin' your "facts" around, make sure ya get 'em right dipshit.  Tongue

You should really learn to relax Phallus, this isn't a court of law just a shit shootin' gallery. Very hostile.....
Smoke a fatty and chill...
Gemini Guy
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2005, 09:58:33 AM »

That was in BHM. In 1991-1992 when he reformed Roadcrew with Vain he blamed only Axl, because 'Slash and Duff were always my buddies, but Axl hated me from the first time'.

Untrue.? You're taking Steven's comments out of context.? The entire quote went on to say that he believed Axl hated him because Axl always walked up to him and kicked him in the balls for no reason, and did so all the time.? Saying Axl hated him does not mean he is solely blaming Axl for his termination.? He's always blamed the entire band and management for his firing.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2005, 10:02:34 AM »

Untrue.? You're taking Steven's comments out of context.? The entire quote went on to say that he believed Axl hated him because Axl always walked up to him and kicked him in the balls for no reason, and did so all the time.? Saying Axl hated him does not mean he is solely blaming Axl for his termination.? He's always blamed the entire band and management for his firing.

Have you read that interview with him? He blamed Axl back then and didn't mention any kick in the balls or so. Please show us the context, if you have the original (English) interview.

Rollin' on the streets
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 06:20:40 PM »

to answer a previous question Gemini, no when i make decisions i stick with them for better or worse

i have learned the decisions u make shape and mold your life and get u to different points of your life.

Had that not happened with Steven, who is to say Duff would be having the great life he is enjoying now??

I come from a philosophy that everything, good or bad, happens for a reason.

Maybe Steven would be dead had he not been fired from GNR, maybe Duff wouldnt have turned his life around had things not transpired the way they did.

so i believe in no regrets, shit happens, u live with it and go from there.

Hindsight is 20/20 but can also lead to self destruction if u obsess on it too much.

Look at Dave Mustaine *i know this has nothing to do with this argument* but anyway he had great success with Megadeth but he always looking back in hindsight ruined his life and didnt allow him to enjoy the brilliant success he was having without those guys.

do u think Lars Ulrich couldve done that good solo? Kirk Hammett? Cliff or Jason?

hell no they couldnt have * i think james still couldve* but what im saying is Dave was so worried and obsessed with not being in metallica that he never has gave himself the enormous credit he deserves from still being pretty successful.

so Regrets only lead to self destruction.

make a decision, live with it, count your blessings.

Duff has a great life, great health and a great band.

firing steven wasnt moronic.? Duff and slash bowing down to axl was moronic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 06:26:08 PM by D » Logged

jgfnsr
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2005, 06:32:36 PM »

Before you come around here waivin' your "facts" around, make sure ya get 'em right dipshit.? Tongue

You should really learn to relax Phallus, this isn't a court of law just a shit shootin' gallery. Very hostile.....
Smoke a fatty and chill...

Sorry.

I'm on this relatively new stuff...Lexapro...'er something.

Hasn't kicked in yet.
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2005, 08:11:45 AM »

Hey no worries man, Lexapro takes 4 weeks to kick in. The first week is shitty enough, you'll be feeling jumpy and a bit sick. Any hives or itchy skin?
Take care man, we're all fans of GnR afterall.
Peace,
Intercourse.
jgfnsr
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2005, 09:38:15 PM »

firing steven wasnt moronic.? Duff and slash bowing down to axl was moronic.

While I hesitate to keep to this whole discussion going, I have to ask...

Exactly how or when did Slash or Duff ever "bow down" to Axl?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2005, 11:20:16 PM »

when didnt they bow down to axl?

thats an obvious easy one to answer

who owns the name?

how did that occur?

who came on stage and played whenever he felt like it?

3 instances right there

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: