Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 05:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228533 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash tapped as musical director of Grammy Awards all-star performance
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash tapped as musical director of Grammy Awards all-star performance  (Read 3034 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: February 07, 2005, 11:14:22 PM »

Source:  blabbermouth.net
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=32592

SLASH Tapped As Musical Director Of GRAMMY AWARDS All-Star Performance

Ken Ehrlich, executive producer in charge of the Grammy Awards for Cossette Productions, has asked VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash to be the musical director for an all-star live performance of THE BEATLES song "Across the Universe" during the 47th annual Grammy Awards celebration. VELVET REVOLVER, U2 lead singer Bono, Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw and Brian Wilson have been tapped to take part, with other artists expected to join.

The track will be made available for download at Apple's iTunes Music Store for 99 cents, with all proceeds to aid victims of the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Video of the performance will be available on demand at CBS.com soon after the network's Feb. 13 broadcast of the awards.

Queen Latifah will host the affair, for which HOOBASTANK, Alison Krauss, Tyra Banks and AEROSMITH's Steven Tyler have been confirmed as presenters. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 02:08:20 AM »

I Thought Duff was in the conductor position in GNR? he wouldve been a much better choice.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 03:32:34 AM »

I Thought Duff was in the conductor position in GNR? he wouldve been a much better choice.

I always cracked up at that comment by Duff. Back then he was so f**ked up on everything that he was taking, I think the only person he was conducting was himself, and he could barely even do that!

I think it'll be interesting to see Slash leading the way in that performance though, let's hope Slash isn't too inebriated.
Oh what the hell, let's see a drunk as a skunk Slash ripping it up at the Grammy's! beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 11:57:16 AM »

This will indeed be interesting to see how Slash conducts this performance.  I honestly think he will do a great job. At least we're lucky that there was no non-talented rapper put at the helm.

Speaking of Duff, I have an interview Duff did when  "Believe In Me " was released. It was at Much Music. Just imagine that little Tokyo interview extended for a 1/2 hour.  I do believe he was on the Power 30, classic material.

Best of luck Slash,

DH

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:55:32 PM »

Good for him.  He must be nervous, I mean directing the likes of Stevie Wonder and Brian Wilson.  Quite an honor. 
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 09:09:45 PM »

Indeed that is a huge honour for him with the likes of Wilson and Wonder (both considered musical genious's) in the fold, not to mention Bono who's no mug either.

Excellent news and am looking foward to hearing this !  peace

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 10:02:13 AM »

Yea that's great for Slash, now he can show off his new( HAIR EXTENSIONS ) One of the Co producers of VR,( don't know his name ) said Slash has lost way to much hair.

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 10:27:51 AM »

Here's the VR mention from the NY Daily News newspaper dated Friday, February 11, 2005.
I think their "backed" info is a little off but here it is anyways.

Grammys counts on strength in numbers
By David Bianculli

One other aspect of Sunday's Grammys reflective of outside events is a tsunami relief number.? Ehrlich* called Yoko Ono and got the rights to John Lennon's "Across the Universe," which will be sung on the show by - get this - Tim McGraw, Bono, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Brian Wilson, Steven Tyler and Al Green, all backed by Velvet Revolver.

After the performance, the song will be downloadable from Apple's iTunes, with the entire 99-cent cost going to Red Cross and other tsunami relief charities.

*Ehrlich = Executive Producer Ken Ehrlich

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 10:32:24 AM »

Here's the VR mention from the NY Daily News newspaper dated Friday, February 11, 2005.
I think their "backed" info is a little off but here it is anyways.

Why do you think that?
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 10:47:59 AM »

Because isn't Slash supposed to be the music director and that all those singers will be backed by musicians from different genres not just VR?? Huh?

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 10:57:16 AM »

Because isn't Slash supposed to be the music director and that all those singers will be backed by musicians from different genres not just VR?   

He cant participate if hes the musical director?  It says in the first post of this thread that "VELVET REVOLVER" is among the list of performers (all vocalists, coincidentally), so I was under the impression that the band was performing.

And I dont recall anything about other musicans providing the actual backing music, until this article.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »

You just like to twist everything I say, don't you.? Roll Eyes

I expect Slash to be one of the guitarist "backing" the singers.? Like I said, I expect there to be a lot of musicians from different genres backing the singers ... just like they do it every year for the finale.? I also expect Scott to be one of the singers even though his name wasn't mentioned on the list because if VR is the only backing, what's Scott gonna be doing?... just 'Slither'-ing?? hihi

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »

You just like to twist everything I say, don't you.? Roll Eyes

Not necessarily, but sometimes your little backhanded/sarcastic comments need a little clarification, thats all.

Like I said, I expect there to be a lot of musicians from different genres backing the singers ...

Right, and I simply asked what you would base that on?? Its obviously not the two articles you yourself posted suggesting that VR will be part of the performance.

just like they do it every year for the finale.? I also expect Scott to be one of the singers even though his name wasn't mentioned on the list because if VR is the only backing, what's Scott gonna be doing?... just 'Slither'-ing?? hihi

Scott is a member of VR...therefore adding his name to the list of performers seems a little redundant.? Yes, VR was mentioned...which implies that the instrumentalists from that band are participating, which also implies that theyll be...providing the music.? Shocked Where did I say, or imply, that VR was only provinding the music?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 11:40:07 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: