Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228534 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Were Mike Patton and Sebastian Bach being considered for VR??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Were Mike Patton and Sebastian Bach being considered for VR??  (Read 9665 times)
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« on: February 05, 2005, 03:28:22 AM »

I'm sure I remember reading reports, back when VR were looking for a singer, that stated Mike Patton (Faith No More, Tomahawk etc) was someone they wanted to work with and that Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) had actually jammed with them a few times and was a potential lead singer. The reason I ask this is cos neither were mentioned in 'The Rise of VR' documentary despite it's in depth look at VR's search for a singer (I mean they showed video footage of that dude from Little Hell, why no video footage of Sebastain Bach!?).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 03:30:38 AM by GNFNR_UK » Logged

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 03:49:29 AM »

because showing bach would take away from the star magnatude of scott. the other guys were bad and they wanted to show how bad most people were, if they showed bach and he was good more people would question if he should of got the job

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 03:55:48 AM »

because showing bach would take away from the star magnatude of scott. the other guys were bad and they wanted to show how bad most people were, if they showed bach and he was good more people would question if he should of got the job

if  you consider cock rock good. most people don't. Showing showing the Baz footage wouldn't have made a difference. The only reason it wasn't shown is problably because Baz didn't want to look bad.
tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 09:54:49 AM »

They set up that cat from little hell like a bowling pin, bottom line. I felt bad for that guy. It was such an American Idol set up. Bring in somebody that they know isn't going to cut it and exploit the shit out of him, was the plan. It was painfully obvious. I thought that VH1 doc was scripted. "Everybody sucks" blah, blah, blah, "What are we going to do?" blah, blah, blah," "Thank god here comes the best singer in the world, Scott Weiland". Mofo, please. The only reason they took Weiland is because he already has a name, he's controversial and that gets column space. Like when he was busted in Cali copping some shit (while wearing a white dress and pumps, if you asked me that boy is a MO). All business man. If they were truly about artistry, they would have chosen someone who is remarkably talented. Its just one man's opinion, don't start humping my leg because I have an opinion. Stexxx out..........
GNROSAS
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 10:15:20 AM »

Mike Patton Just Denied their offer. The wouldn't mention someone Who denied them.
I believe that there were better singers than Weiland.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 12:31:06 PM »

they would have been viewed as a wannabe throwback 80's metal band again if they had Bach, since both GnR and Skid Row are from the? 80's. With Weiland they have someone from a totally different musical background. Also, i think slash commented that they sounded like Skid Row with bach and he didnt want that, he wanted something that sounded different, he wanted the band to have their own sound. Bach is a great singer tho i wish he would rejoin with Skid Row or find another band to join that needs a frontman.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 12:44:42 PM »

Wow... if they had gotten Patton, VR might actually be a decent band.

On another note, I doubt seriously that Slash and Duff were looking for an innovative vocal talent like Patton, because they were looking to do the same ol' stuff, not something that pushes the envelope.  Mike Patton is out of their league, just like Axl is.

Let the flaming begin.  I'm sure I've pissed off at least one VR fan.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 02:56:30 PM »

Mike Patton Just Denied their offer. The wouldn't mention someone Who denied them.

Its likely that Patton denied their offer to audition...I doubt they offered him the gig without even playing with him.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 03:16:53 PM »

Its likely that Patton denied their offer to audition...I doubt they offered him the gig without even playing with him.

That's exactly what happened.

Patton along with a few others turned down offers to audition.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 04:35:35 PM »

They set up that cat from little hell like a bowling pin, bottom line. I felt bad for that guy. It was such an American Idol set up. Bring in somebody that they know isn't going to cut it and exploit the shit out of him, was the plan. It was painfully obvious. I thought that VH1 doc was scripted. "Everybody sucks" blah, blah, blah, "What are we going to do?" blah, blah, blah," "Thank god here comes the best singer in the world, Scott Weiland". Mofo, please. The only reason they took Weiland is because he already has a name, he's controversial and that gets column space. Like when he was busted in Cali copping some shit (while wearing a white dress and pumps, if you asked me that boy is a MO). All business man. If they were truly about artistry, they would have chosen someone who is remarkably talented. Its just one man's opinion, don't start humping my leg because I have an opinion. Stexxx out..........

actually no...Duff spoke about him before contraband even came out. He said how his demo sounded amazing but when he got there it was the same voice(because he had fixed it up using a little studio magic)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 07:50:45 PM »

Wow... if they had gotten Patton, VR might actually be a decent band.

On another note, I doubt seriously that Slash and Duff were looking for an innovative vocal talent like Patton, because they were looking to do the same ol' stuff, not something that pushes the envelope.? Mike Patton is out of their league, just like Axl is.

Let the flaming begin.? I'm sure I've pissed off at least one VR fan.

Apparently Mike Patton was one of the guys VR wanted to front the band. It ain't made up, and from what I've heard, Mike just politely declined.

As for the "Mike Patton is out of their league, just like Axl is" comment, I guess all those years that they played together with Axl in GN'R didn't mean anything to you huh?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 09:54:08 PM »

You miss my point... my point is that one of the reasons that they aren't together anymore (a reason stated by both sides) is that Axl wanted to progress... to push the envelope, and Slash didn't. 

So, yes, Axl is beyond their league -  as is Mike Patton.  Scott... on the other hand... is perfect.

metallex78
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 12:00:34 AM »

You miss my point... my point is that one of the reasons that they aren't together anymore (a reason stated by both sides) is that Axl wanted to progress... to push the envelope, and Slash didn't.?

So, yes, Axl is beyond their league -? as is Mike Patton.? Scott... on the other hand... is perfect.

So your interpretation of people having different musical vision is a way as saying that someone is better than another?

Axl wanted to turn GN'R into a techno-rock band, whereas Slash, Duff & Matt didn't, they wanted to continue in the same kick ass hard rock genre that GN'R were known and famous for, and that's where VR seem to have picked right up.
I don't see that as being "out of league", I see that as musical differences.

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 04:34:50 PM »

I read on a magazie that when they called Patton his manager sayd:"do you really think Mike will go there an sing Welcome To The Jungle??Come oooon!"

Edit:Just found the magazine.It was the Argentinian Rolling Stone wich had a the chronological story of  and VR.

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 04:36:59 PM by Slashly » Logged

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »

You miss my point... my point is that one of the reasons that they aren't together anymore (a reason stated by both sides) is that Axl wanted to progress... to push the envelope, and Slash didn't. 

So, yes, Axl is beyond their league -  as is Mike Patton.  Scott... on the other hand... is perfect.

So your interpretation of people having different musical vision is a way as saying that someone is better than another?

Axl wanted to turn GN'R into a techno-rock band, whereas Slash, Duff & Matt didn't, they wanted to continue in the same kick ass hard rock genre that GN'R were known and famous for, and that's where VR seem to have picked right up.

it's that kinda stupidity that gets Axl worshippers in trouble
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 04:42:32 PM »

Sebastian, yes, but probably not Mike Patton
tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 05:40:12 PM »

actually no...Duff spoke about him before contraband even came out. He said how his demo sounded amazing but when he got there it was the same voice(because he had fixed it up using a little studio magic)

"Actually" we all saw the doc, so we already know what the excuse was. We don't really know what "actually" happened, do we.. It was  probably the producers of that show that pushed the guys to do something like that. Today, more then ever, people like to see people get there hopes up then fail. So the producers were probably behind that aspect for ratings. But, obviously it didn't help because the show really didn't stir up much attention.

I know this sounds redundant but, its TOO f'n bad the original lineup can't get back together. I can't even imagine how amazing that would be. The Guns break up has to be the most tragic story in Rock ever(not involving death). In MY OPINION, Axl really wrapped the other members nuts right around there heads. For a band to be so plutonium grade and then shattered because of one person, its just a bitch to me and I'm sure all of you. I feel bad for Slash and the guys not only did they miss out on countless fortune, it must have hurt them that their bro, that they came out of virtual poverty with, all of the sudden decided to destroy the family. A situation like theirs would ruin most people. But they are hanging in there and I respect that. I saw Guns perform at Giants stadium, when they taped the Paradise video and man, I never saw anything like it again in my life. To have almost 100,000 mofos goin ape shit (and I mean APE SHIT, that place was gurgling) for the opening act, it was undeniable that they were unlike any other band ever.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 06:07:00 PM »

You miss my point... my point is that one of the reasons that they aren't together anymore (a reason stated by both sides) is that Axl wanted to progress... to push the envelope, and Slash didn't.?

So, yes, Axl is beyond their league -? as is Mike Patton.? Scott... on the other hand... is perfect.

It's semantics really.  I'm not attempting to insult VR.  I have the album, I listen to it on occasion, and it's good.  Is it as good as GNR, no, not in my opinion.  I would hardly call VR a continuation of where GNR left off, nor would I call it kick ass... it's good, but, it isn't the knock you on your ass and knock the wind out of you rock that we got from Appetite.

Mike Patton would not have fit into the band that is VR, because he is far too experimental.  VR is certainly not experiemental.  The music that VR makes is tried and true rock n roll... stuff that worked in the past, which is why it works now.

It's stupidity to state the obvious, that Axl and Slash are in different leagues?  I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they were (according to all things I read, from both sides) looking to create different kinds of music.  I'm not saying Axl is better than Slash... I'm saying that Slash was interested in staying with one particular genre of music, while Axl was interested in making something different.  Staying with one particular genre is NOT a progression. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

Staying with one particular genre is NOT a progression.?

But..

Evolving within your particular field of stength is, which is exactly what Slash has done with VR. 

Not to beat a seriously dead horse, but he's now a major force within the modern rock genre, a sect of the market he never cracked in GNR..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »

It's semantics really.? I'm not attempting to insult VR.? I have the album, I listen to it on occasion, and it's good.? Is it as good as GNR, no, not in my opinion.? I would hardly call VR a continuation of where GNR left off, nor would I call it kick ass... it's good, but, it isn't the knock you on your ass and knock the wind out of you rock that we got from Appetite.

Mike Patton would not have fit into the band that is VR, because he is far too experimental.? VR is certainly not experiemental.? The music that VR makes is tried and true rock n roll... stuff that worked in the past, which is why it works now.

It's stupidity to state the obvious, that Axl and Slash are in different leagues?? I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they were (according to all things I read, from both sides) looking to create different kinds of music.? I'm not saying Axl is better than Slash... I'm saying that Slash was interested in staying with one particular genre of music, while Axl was interested in making something different.? Staying with one particular genre is NOT a progression.?

I can see what you're saying, but UYI was a progression from AFD and that was still in the genre of rock n roll was it not?

Contraband might not be as good as GN'R's best stuff in your opinion, but it's still in the same vein, and it doesn't sound dated to me, so that would be a band evolving within the genre like Falcon said.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: