Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:30:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 70712 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2005, 03:24:13 PM »

but to show that a lot of GNR material has been licensed under Axls "watch."  If Axl was the true paragon of musical integrity that some here wished he was, he would have blocked a lot more than Death To Smoochy and a few other movies.
fair enough...but he also hasnt whored the gnr music either like many other bands have done

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2005, 03:48:15 PM »

I don't think that Axl will only get the 10 million pounds...

I believe that he'll also gain from selling the rights in future deals...

"The relationship between a music publisher and a songwriter/composer is supported by a publishing contract setting out the rights and obligations of each to the other. Under these contracts songwriters and composers assign the copyright in their music to the music publisher in return for a commitment to promote, exploit and protect that music. The publisher agrees to pay the songwriter/composer a percentage of any income earned from such exploitation as royalties. http://www.mpaonline.org.uk/faqs/what_is_pub.html

To obtain the rights to the songs, the publisher may offer a financial incentive (an advance), and a subsequent royalty rate. The worst case scenario royalty rate for a songwriter would be 50% of income received.... The publisher, however, will recoup any advance before paying royalties to the songwriter http://www.musicjournal.org/01publishingresource.html

I believe the word they used in the press release was "exploit"

In the music industry the term 'exploit' is what is commonly used to mean: ?
To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=exploit
The term "exploit" in the music industry does not connote/mean the same as what you're likely refering to.
See the above posted linked information from music industry resource sites.

Well I see this as Axl's way of washing his hands of all the BS with the existing partnership.

Me too. ?I think its great. ?I recall the gnronline press release in aug 02 in which Axl said:

For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea."

Perhaps now this is what makes him totally a free man. ?ok

That crap about Slash and Duff feeling it's "too valuable" is such laughable bullshit...

How many movie soundtracks did they name in their lawsuit in which they say Axl refused to give his permission, thereby blocking the deals?
I believe the number was somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9.
So, as BookerFloyd mentioned in this thread... you'd think this would be good news for them.
They can no longer claim that Axl is blocking a to spite them.... to keep them from earning.

So Axl sells his portion, gets a nice cash infusion up front, and note he took LESS than was offered and held out for a deal he felt would be best for the legacy of the band, and gets to wash his hands of the bullshit of his ex-bandmates.

This appears to me, to be a brilliant move by Axl. ?

All Axl has done was sell what he OWN in the gnr partnership to the company. The reason people are getting annoyed at Slash and DUff is because they are the same people who were complaining how Axl wouldnt use various songs in past soundtracks. The same people who keep saying they dont want to have anything to do with Axl, are the same people who might attempt to challenge this move in court. The move that eliminates Axl from the old gnr picture. Strange isnt it? The funny thing is that they still have a say on what can or cannot be used in a soundtrack. They just dont have to go through Axl now. WHich is what they never really want to do.

I think its hilarious.
Slash and Duff sue Axl claiming that he's been refusing permission to license their music and blocking them from earning.
Now Axl takes himself out of the equation - and they are still complaining? ?confused

Maybe there is some truth to what he says and not everything Slash and Duff say are true. Mainly because of what comes out of their mouth.
Now if that makes some1 a fanatic then theres nothing I can do. If some1 doesnt agree with Slash they get labeled anyways...Godforbid some1 say Axl might be in the right....

right or wrong - will always be open to interpretation
what is not open to interpretation is fact vs. fiction ?Wink

btw:? Death to Smoochy!? hahahah!? ?I actually like that movie Grin
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 03:54:31 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2005, 04:00:59 PM »

this is good news but I won't get my hopes up.. This album is taking forever,.. Cry
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2005, 05:09:34 PM »

Thanks Eva for the relevant info.

I hope Slash/Duff vs Axl karma on the board finishes with this thread, as in actuality it is finishing now.
I?ve never said anything biased against Slash or Duff, because my concern about them is between slim to nil.
Let Bygones be bygones. Start Slash/Duff vs Sanctuary karma @ VR section, if any of us need it.

are you kidding me ? go to blabbermouth and read most of the comments on every GNR thread, people fucking hate AXL.
Exactly.  Angry I must add that it?s Axl who's been constantly bashed by the media and critics and most importantly n revoltingly by some of his old fans who want him to stay their model bad boy. Sick.

I?d say it's them who need to visit their doctor/psychiatrist because their hatred against Axl is abnormal. puke
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 05:16:21 PM by ppbebe » Logged
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2005, 07:42:14 PM »

the fact that gn'r has always been in soundtracks and commercials is so BS is not even funny, what the hell are you talking about?

Im saying this (GNR songs appearing in movies) is nothing new...With Axl in control of his rights, we saw GNR songs in:

1989 ?Lean on Me Original Soundtrack ? Performer
 1990 ? Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal Various Artists ? Performer
 1991 ?Days of Thunder Original Soundtrack ?Performer
 1994 ? Vid Grid Various Artists ? Performer
 1995 ?Interview with the Vampire Original Soundtrack ?Producer, Performer
 1995 ?Kuschelrock, Vol. 9 Various Artists ? Performer
 1995 ?Rocks Off Various Artists ? Performer
 1996 ? Best Rock Anthems in the World...Ever! Various Artists ? Performer
 1996 ? Soft Rock: 36 Classic Rock Ballads Various Artists ? Performer
 1997 ?Grosse Pointe Blank Original Soundtrack ?Producer, Performer
 1998 ?Can't Hardly Wait Original Soundtrack ?Performer
 1998 ? Rocktober Various Artists ? Performer
 1998 ?Welcome to the Jungle Jim Rome ? Performer
 1999 ?End of Days [Clean] Original Soundtrack ? Performer
 1999 ?End of Days Original Soundtrack ?Performer
 1999 ?Kuschelrock, Vol. 8 Various Artists ? Performer
 2004 ?Greatest Hits Guns N' Roses ?Group, Producer
 ? ? Decline of Western Civilization, Pt. 2: The Metal Yea

Not to mention Terminator 2 (for which "YCBM" was almost a commercial), Cant Hardly Wait, The Program, Real Cancun, Big Daddy and others Im probably forgetting. ?The Longest Yard seems to be another. ?In the lawsuit, I think Duff and Slash cited 4 or 5 movies (not commercials) that Axl blocked. ?One being Black Hawk Down, which Axl apparently agreed to give music to only if he could re-record with a different band. ?But youre okay with that?

Wasnt "Live And Let Die" being used in a commercial for Richard Bransons reality show a few months back? ?And we know "WTTJ" is currently in a video game commercial...but thats okay. ?The reality of that isnt as offensive as this invented notion that Slash and Duff are dying to put their songs in commercials...Ive seen no evidence of this. ?The lawsuit cited movies (movies that Duff thought were good, whether you agree or not is irrelevant). ?So the point is, GNRs music is in Real Cancun, and it was used while Axl was still owner of his rights, and apparently had the power to black deals. ?

sure they have popped up a few times

A few times ?hihi...see above.

but seldom with an official soundtrack and i can't think of a commercial they have been in except for "robinson survivour vip" in norway and sweden? hihi...

And Richard Bransons show...and movie trailers...and Grand Theft Auto. ?Thats while Axl had his rights.

you never see official gn'r merch in stores and so on.

But theres a ton of it online...So its better because its less convenient for fans to buy? Huh?

there is no doubht that the gn'r name has been very well protected the last decade.

If by well-protected you mean licensed to numerous film projects, merchandise sold online, and select commercials and video games... ok

And the fact that duff and slash had to sue axl for not letting them put old gn'r material in films says it all.

No...They sued Axl for not letting them put songs in some films...You seem adament in ignoring the dozen or so movies he apparently did allow songs to be licencsed.

and for duff's and slash's part, they might not want to give away the gn'r rights they have, but it's pretty obvious that they still want to milk the gn'r cow EVEN tho they're doing a total different gig these days...

If you want to call that milking the cow, feel free. ?But understand that Axl was right there with them up until the last 5 or so offers. ?And selling the rights for $10 million could be called milking the cow by some. ?No matter what gig their doing, thats still their music and they want control of it. ?

i'd be pretty fucking disappointed

Roll Eyes

nice post, thanks for posting all that stuff!

if axl said no to do official soundtracks for five movies, that would be almost half the ones they have done already in theyr entire career, so it is quite many in that case. Most of the flicks gn'rs OSTs are from when they(GNR) were active and after that it has been lald once, paradise city once, a rerecorded scom, omg, and then wttj in gtaSA, if there were to be five more it would be way too many imo.... Some of the late soundtracks has had something interesting/new about them too except paradise city in can't hardly wait and lald in grosse point...

If you want to buy unofficial gnr merch it's all over the place, your right about that, but there is only one place where you can buy official gn'r stuff and that is merch.com as far as i know.

if axl would have wanted to milk the cow he would have sold his rights to the one who gave him the most money...

so if axl and gn'r would have been in 12 more movies, it would be way too much i think...

i think the gn'r name is the most protected name in the music history... they don't do many soundtracks in films or commercials, they don't sell official merch on a high scale, axl, slash and duff didn't want to have the GH out, same about hollywood rose, and those other tapes... one might say that it's because axl is in total controll and that he is an asshole for not feeding his fans shit and so on, but i'm fucking glad axl isn't whoring out the gn'r name and if this deals leads to that i'll be pretty fucking dissapointed...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #285 on: January 30, 2005, 09:43:06 PM »

1989  Lean on Me Original Soundtrack   Performer
 1990   Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal Various Artists   Performer
 1991  Days of Thunder Original Soundtrack  Performer
 1994   Vid Grid Various Artists   Performer
 1995  Interview with the Vampire Original Soundtrack  Producer, Performer
 1995  Kuschelrock, Vol. 9 Various Artists   Performer
 1995  Rocks Off Various Artists   Performer
 1996   Best Rock Anthems in the World...Ever! Various Artists   Performer
 1996   Soft Rock: 36 Classic Rock Ballads Various Artists   Performer
 1997  Grosse Pointe Blank Original Soundtrack  Producer, Performer
 1998  Can't Hardly Wait Original Soundtrack  Performer
 1998   Rocktober Various Artists   Performer
 1998  Welcome to the Jungle Jim Rome   Performer
 1999  End of Days [Clean] Original Soundtrack   Performer
 1999  End of Days Original Soundtrack  Performer
 1999  Kuschelrock, Vol. 8 Various Artists   Performer
 2004  Greatest Hits Guns N' Roses  Group, Producer
     Decline of Western Civilization, Pt. 2: The Metal Yea

Actually that is not too many. Many of those were during the bands' heyday 89-94

The EOD (OMG) and Interview with a Vampire contributions were one off singles and not tied to any albums; I wouldn't consider those to be in the same vein as WTTJ in Can't Hardly Wait which is the most questionable choice.

Then you have a number of compliation discs listed, some of which are foriegn, some are obscure. I don't remember ever seeing those advertised.

This list is impressive; I am happy Gnr hasn't licensed too much from its studio albums.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2005, 02:03:58 AM »

I never said anything bad about slash or duff

my posts included the entire group that are responsible including axl,duff and slash

there is a big difference in a film soundtrack and having a song in a tampon commercial.

if u all cant see the difference in that i have nothing more to say to any of you.

the video game isnt bad cause Axl is part of the game and that video game is cool and could be a music video for WTTJ, plus that commercial will run in a very limited release.

imagine Paradise City's chorus in a tampon commercial "take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

or Welcome to the jungle i guess would be more appropriate for a tampon commercial hihi hihi hihi

i dont want that shit, it fucks the song and cheapens it and ill lose respect for whichever parties allow that to happen!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #287 on: January 31, 2005, 02:52:01 AM »

having a song in a tampon commercial.

I know you dont really think this scenario is possible, so I dont get your point.  First its about commercials - now its tampon commercials.  Well, if thats your concern, I think youll be just fine.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #288 on: January 31, 2005, 03:14:26 AM »

a car commercial would be bad a shaving cream, ebay, just whatever

the video game really isnt bad cause axl is in the game and it will only run for a short amount of time.

think of famous songs in commercials

would u ever voluntarily listen to some of those? 

i lost the same respect for aerosmith when they put "just push play" and "sunshine" in those dodge truck commercials

i havent listened to my Just push play cd since cause those songs make me think of a truck and i cant enjoy em.

tv commercials are bad for songs by any artist in my opinion.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #289 on: January 31, 2005, 04:40:09 AM »

What about It's my life? I really liked that song in the commercial, too.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #290 on: January 31, 2005, 06:32:56 AM »

This still doesnt mean shit...

This also means that Geffen wont be publishing any new material anytime soon.. Sanctuary bought it from Geffen .. Sanctuary will "exploit" the fuck out the old music to recoup their money....

Axl rose is turned into an asswipe and cant even release one god damn song..
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #291 on: January 31, 2005, 10:19:11 AM »

This still doesnt mean shit...

This also means that Geffen wont be publishing any new material anytime soon.. Sanctuary bought it from Geffen ..

Sanctuary didn't buy anything from Geffen. Geffen never owned the publishing rights
 to GnR. Axl made the deal with Sanctuary, as his old deal expired. His recording
contract with Geffen/Universal remains intact.
Also today, melodicrock.com apparently misread the press release and is saying
that Axl left Geffen for Sanctuary records.

gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #292 on: January 31, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »

1998 Welcome to the Jungle Jim Rome Performer

I seem to recall Jim Rome bitching about Axl trying to block that one.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #293 on: January 31, 2005, 10:45:28 AM »

Also today, melodicrock.com apparently misread the press release and is saying
that Axl left Geffen for Sanctuary records.
I saw it! They fucked up, it was indeed a misread. They should visit here more to learn a little bit. yes

disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2005, 11:55:22 AM »

Uh, yeah.. I just wanted to say that the "Paradise City" scene in Can't Hardly Wait was pretty funny when I originally saw it. And I wasn't a GNR fan at the time..
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #295 on: January 31, 2005, 01:47:55 PM »

I think this is a brillant move for axl... because now if gnr music gets exploited for commercial reasons he can wash his hands of any blame.

Axl

" The publishing company told me they wouldn't use any of material in any manner that would tarnish the image of gnr so i agreed. But then slash and duff went ahead and signed it away now be have jungle on a preperation H commercial"

and i wonder why izzy isn't considered part of the partnership??

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2005, 01:56:48 PM »

I think this is a brillant move for axl... because now if gnr music gets exploited for commercial reasons he can wash his hands of any blame.

Axl

" The publishing company told me they wouldn't use any of material in any manner that would tarnish the image of gnr so i agreed. But then slash and duff went ahead and signed it away now be have jungle on a preperation H commercial"

is that an Axl quote?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2005, 02:04:38 PM »

Axl

is that an Axl quote?

no, i believe the poster was just presenting a hypothetical scenario and what he supposes Axl would/could say (sorta). Wink
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2005, 07:50:38 PM »

Axl

is that an Axl quote?

no, i believe the poster was just presenting a hypothetical scenario and what he supposes Axl would/could say (sorta). Wink

hihi ah i see, funny post he he

that was a real though one to get eh... Embarrassed

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2005, 08:30:18 PM »

indeed.  hihi
I personally don?t hate hearing good songs on good TV commercials. Maybe US commercials are all craps, but I?ve seen really beautiful commercial films, even better than most of music video clips. When the commercial film is a cool one, it promotes the music efficiently far and wide.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: