Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228121 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 70777 times)
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »

Slash and Duff are only trying to protect they're past music. Theres no cold hearted intention to sabatoge Axl. They are still suing for full control of the past catalog,(which is a little more cold hearted) so im sure they are not happy with Sanctuary controlling all they're music. Axl just tried to pass the fued to someone else, and get paid at the same time. Cant say i blame him. But like other posters said, it could be blocked.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2005, 08:15:07 PM »

and Contraband was successful partly due to the interest levels sustained by Axl's 'games' with his new band. ?

Come on man.. no ?

I honestly think that they are trying to anything they can to get in the way of it's release.? That's just my opinion, but I don't think they want CD to see the light of day.

Are you basing this on anything other than your own silly presumptions?

my silly presumptions

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2005, 08:27:35 PM »

dave mustaine sold a lot of records and had good success with Megadeth but was always hammered by not being in metallica anymore.

im sure they wouldnt have wanted to sit around for 10 years but they will always be known as members of GNR and although Velvet Revolver kick ass and are a great band i am positive if slash and duff could go back to GNR and have things work out with axl they would do it in a heartbeat

is it not funny to anyone else that no matter how popular VR are getting Slash and Duff still have never ruled out a gnr reunion?

why do u think that is???

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2005, 08:46:29 PM »

is it not funny to anyone else that no matter how popular VR are getting Slash and Duff still have never ruled out a gnr reunion?

Umm Slash pretty much has totally ruled out any kind of GNR reunion .. I've read that from him and also I think he says as much either on gnr - btm or some canadian much music interview.  ok

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »

no slash said he wouldnt do it unless there was a mutual respect
so if axl apologized and let the band be a democracy they would do it.

exactly what i said

if axl dropped the ego and let the bandmembers do their thing and wasnt so controlling, they would come back in a second.

thats what im saying, no matter how much they hate axl, they still want to be in GNR and if axl could return to normal they'd be up for a reunion

i guarantee if axl called them and apologized they would come back.

i almost guarantee it!

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2005, 09:29:59 PM »

my silly presumptions

I appreciate the honesty.  beer

dave mustaine sold a lot of records and had good success with Megadeth but was always hammered by not being in metallica anymore.

Its not even a similar situation...

First, Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica.  Second, it was before Metallica became big or hit their peak.

Compare that to Slash and Duff, who 1) For all intents and purposes, chose to leave GNR 2) And they did it after GNR hit their peak.  Unlike Mustaine, they were there and responsible for GNRs greatest successes.  So theres no feelings of "what could have been," "I missed out," or "They did it without me," feelings that Im sure Mustaine has.  Their situations arent even close.  Theyre the ones successfully touring the world, selling millions of records, getting Grammy nominations, etc. etc.  And theyre doing it with a new band and a new singer.  Do you think theyre looking at Axls situation and thinking "Id rather be a part of that"? 

"And now we've got this going on and it feels better than anything I've done since the first two years of Guns, so it's not even a remote possibility any more." - Slash (Kerrang!, 8/04)

"There?s no part of me that wishes that the original Guns N? Roses could or would reform" - Slash (Q, 7/04)
Sentimental Rose
Opening Act

I lead a reckless life & I don't need your advice

« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2005, 10:23:26 PM »

Slash and Duff are only trying to protect they're past music. Theres no cold hearted intention to sabatoge Axl. They are still suing for full control of the past catalog,(which is a little more cold hearted) so im sure they are not happy with Sanctuary controlling all they're music. Axl just tried to pass the fued to someone else, and get paid at the same time. Cant say i blame him. But like other posters said, it could be blocked.

My problem with Sanctuary controlling the past catalog would be commercials like a KIA car commercial with Paradise City or Welcome to the Jungle?I can here it now Take me down to the car dealership when my credit is good the interest is 0% Oh won?t you please buy my car. Were one small incredibly gay step closer to Mcdonalds running a Appetite for Destruction/hamburger ad!

"I've got one foot out the door tryin' to hit the road ain't no match for your mean old man I think its time to roll"
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2005, 10:38:29 PM »

I thought all Sanctuary purchased was Axl's 1/3 interest. Slash and Duff can still block Sanctuary if they really want to can't they? Assuming Sanctuary is only claiming Axl's 1/3 interest, my take is that I think the main problem Slash and Duff have is that Axl cashed out and was willing to take the risk that they in the meantime would continue to hold up GN'R's "integrity" by not licensing songs left and right. Axl has effectively taken a nice chunk of change and painted Slash and Duff into a very difficult corner. They'll have to decide whether they want their own $19 million pay-outs and in the process really look like the a$$holes of the century when the back catalog becomes entirely corporate controlled OR they'll have to stick to their guns and watch Sanctuary like hawks for the next 20 years while Axl is chillin' in Malibu with his $19 million. It was a real dickhead thing for Axl to do. That being said, it was strategically brilliant and once again Axl's legal team is shown to be 4 steps ahead of whoever is representing Slash and Duff IMO.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jgfnsr
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2005, 10:56:07 PM »

"And now we've got this going on and it feels better than anything I've done since the first two years of Guns, so it's not even a remote possibility any more." - Slash (Kerrang!, 8/04)

"There?s no part of me that wishes that the original Guns N? Roses could or would reform" - Slash (Q, 7/04)

Slash is the type to have a change of heart rather suddenly so I take the above statements with a grain of salt.? Axl will be the reason a reunion won't happen, not Slash or any of other former member.

On topic...

Unless Axl lets it, I don't see how Slash and Duff having a problem with his deal with Sanctuary necessarily effects any new material, i.e. the release of Chinese Democracy.?
Sentimental Rose
Opening Act

I lead a reckless life & I don't need your advice

« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2005, 11:01:43 PM »

They'll have to decide whether they want their own $19 million pay-outs and in the process really look like the a$$holes of the century when the back catalog becomes entirely corporate controlled OR they'll have to stick to their guns and watch Sanctuary like hawks for the next 20 years while Axl is chillin' in Malibu with his $19 million. It was a real dickhead thing for Axl to do.

Surely Axl didn't need that $19 million though and I don't think even Axl would want GN'Rs music to be whored out to the highest bidder ?(atleast I wouldn't then again I'm not axl rose)

"I've got one foot out the door tryin' to hit the road ain't no match for your mean old man I think its time to roll"
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2005, 11:14:06 PM »

Surely Axl didn't need that $19 million though and I don't think even Axl would want GN'Rs music to be whored out to the highest bidder ?(atleast I wouldn't then again I'm not axl rose)

I tend to agree that Axl probably didn't "need" the $19 million- but it's a very creative way to leave Slash and Duff holding the bag with no chance at $19 million unless they very publicly compromise their integrity and cash out too OR retain their interests and whore out the back catalog. I think Axl's wagering that they won't do either. Which means Axl gets the best of both worlds: $19 million for his share while Slash and Duff keep an eye on GN'R's "legacy" free of charge.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »

It was a real dickhead thing for Axl to do.
How was it a dickhead thing to do?

Slash and Duff are always saying how they dont want to have anything to do with Axl, etc. This deal puts them in that position.
Slash and Duff STILL make up 2/3's of the vote. They can approve or disapprove on what is used and not used.

Slash and Duff have the oppurtunity to make more than Axl on this deal

my take is that I think the main problem Slash and Duff have is that Axl cashed out and was willing to take the risk that they in the meantime would continue to hold up GN'R's "integrity" by not licensing songs left and right.
The same Slash and Duff who wanted to have a lot more GNr songs in movies than Axl did.
And how does this deal mean GnR songs will be whored out left and right? Slash and Duff have the power to approve or disapprove. So if you see future songs in movies, it will have the blessing of the boys.

That being said, it was strategically brilliant and once again Axl's legal team is shown to be 4 steps ahead of whoever is representing Slash and Duff IMO.
That Zak Wylde quote comes to mind right about now...how Axl was always playing Axis and Aliies on the phone or something like that.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2005, 11:23:01 PM »

Slash is the type to have a change of heart rather suddenly so I take the above statements with a grain of salt.? Axl will be the reason a reunion won't happen, not Slash or any of other former member.

Well that wasnt the point...which was that Slash has ruled out a reunion, contrary to Ds statement.

Slash and Duff are always saying how they dont want to have anything to do with Axl,

Always?? Ive seen sentiments similar to that expressed a handful of times...

Slash and Duff are always saying how they dont want to have anything to do with Axl, etc. This deal puts them in that position.
Slash and Duff STILL make up 2/3's of the vote. They can approve or disapprove on what is used and not used.

Slash and Duff have the oppurtunity to make more than Axl on this deal

You understand that you dont really know what youre talking about, right?? You can make guesses and speculate like the rest, but speak as if you really know how their business dealings work is foolish.

The same Slash and Duff who wanted to have a lot more GNr songs in movies than Axl did.

More spinning...

What "a lot"?

Slash and Duff holding the bag with no chance at $19 million unless they very publicly compromise their integrity and cash out too OR retain their interests and whore out the back catalog.

How do you figure that would have been any different had Axl not sold the rights?

Which means Axl gets the best of both worlds: $19 million for his share while Slash and Duff keep an eye on GN'R's "legacy" free of charge.

Well wasnt Axl protecting GNRs legacy by blocking Slash and Duff on certain movie deals?  In selling his rights, hes opening the doors for Slash and Duff to make the deals he had "protected" the legacy from, right?  So then how much does protecting the legacy really mean to Axl? 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:31:10 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #353 on: February 01, 2005, 11:28:16 PM »

Always?? Ive seen sentiments similar to that expressed a handful of times...
ok...when discussing old gnr and axl, slash and duff usually express how they do not want to have anything to do with Axl...

is that better booker? please dont take off any points for that..thanks teach

You can make guesses and speculate like the rest, but speak as if you really know how their business dealings work is foolish.
If Slash is allowed to guess and speculate about how many tracks are completed on CD or Axls vocals, then Younggunner is allowed to speculate on Slash n companys deals gone possibly bad....

More spinning...
When YG speaks...You are in the NO SPIN ZONE? Wink

Well wasnt Axl protecting GNRs legacy by blocking Slash and Duff on certain movie deals?  In selling his rights, hes opening the doors for Slash and Duff to make the deals he had "protected" the legacy from, right?  So then how much does protecting the legacy really mean to Axl? 
Well that question will now potentially be in the hand of Slash and Duff. They have asked for the ball all of these years, fighting in court over who owns what, and has the right to do what, so now they have their chance to do what they wanna do. Just like they wanted. Axl has potentially granted their wishes of staying out of the picture. So while they handle the old gnr stuff, Axl can focus on whats important at the moment...the new Guns material.

And then in like 10-15 yrs Im sure Axl has a master plan in place to obatin old and new gnr stuff all for himself...but thats just speculation on my part

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:42:14 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #354 on: February 01, 2005, 11:30:39 PM »

You understand that you dont really know what youre talking about, right?  You can make guesses and speculate like the rest, but speak as if you really know how their business dealings work is foolish.

i don't think he's guessing here. From what we know about the partnership and the nature of the lawsuit, it's pretty evident how the licensing scheme works. i think younggunner hit it on the head here. If we are talking about Philly, that's a different story.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #355 on: February 01, 2005, 11:38:38 PM »

ok...when discussing old gnr and axl, slash and duff usually express how they do not want to have anything to do with Axl...

is that better booker? please dont take off any points for that..thanks teach

No matter how you word it, Ive only seen that kind of sentiment expressed a handful of times...However, your wording is typical of your spinning.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #356 on: February 01, 2005, 11:47:05 PM »

However, your wording is typical of your spinning.
typical of my spinning? Im pretty sure if you ask any1 here they will tell you that for the most part I am very objective.

Im sorry I dont sit here and make sure I have every word well thought out. Its like you disect every word I say...just so you can somehow debunk my posts and not make them credible because I am GNR worshiper... Im sure most people, when reading my posts get my point. You seem to be the only one that disects each and every word and brings them out to my attention instead of just arguing agfainst the actual poin of my posts. I know you know what I mean and say...your a smart enough guy....but why you have to nitpick and bust balls and then somehow throw all that in there with the actual topic and attempt to "win" an argument  is beyond me....

speaking of spinning....does your going off topic by discussing members supposed trends and faults count as spinning...spinning a thread into the garbage that is?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:51:52 PM by younggunner » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2005, 12:37:26 AM »

im actually glad the split happened cause i love VR and i love Axl's band.

I still think though after the next VR cd if axl called apologized gave them equal rights back in the band name and equal say on the music, they'd comeback.

however if axl wouldnt have been that way in the first place they never wouldve split up.

good post booker ok

makes a lot of sense! beer

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2005, 12:57:31 AM »

What the fuck does Axl have to be sorry about?  nothing at all.  fuck that.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2005, 01:05:18 AM »

Axl has done this purely for the $$$. All future CD tracks will be at the mercy of Santuary to decide if the want FOX to play Chinese Democracy during they're TV commercials, or fat guys in a Wendys commercial eating a hambuger, and smiling while Madagascar plays. Or a commercial with babies in diapers running around while November Rain is playing.

Sanctuary is free to whore the new music out, with potential of making millions more than what Axl recieved. Would you call this brilliant?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: