Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 08:18:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 70838 times)
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=15279.0

Open the PDF document. Page 5, Point 17,  Section D.

Someone please tell me what is going on, if Slash and Duff currently have a lawsuit pending about the very issue of the Original Recordings, how can he make the deal with Sanctury. I know it doesnt distinguish between Pulishing rights etc... but still.

Jonx
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 03:46:00 PM by Jonx » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2005, 04:31:47 PM »

If Axl sold the rights which were only belong to him, then it's alright.
Do you really think Sanctuary woul dhave done this deal if it had the chance of being blocked in court? Its pretty safe to say Axl sold his rights and his entitlements to the company. Otherwise I doubt the company would have take part in this investment.
Agreed. yes
Axl handed over the assets only belong to him. Sanctuary clearly stated "Rose's contributions to such and such".
But now Duff and Slash are asserting that what Sanctuary got from him didn?t exist, which implies that Sanctuary is who had a bad cheque palmed off on them. God knows whether that will be the case or not within the next 2 decades. That?s it.  ok
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2005, 04:40:04 PM »

If Axl sold the rights which were only belong to him, then it's alright.
Do you really think Sanctuary woul dhave done this deal if it had the chance of being blocked in court? Its pretty safe to say Axl sold his rights and his entitlements to the company. Otherwise I doubt the company would have take part in this investment.
Agreed. yes
Axl handed over the assets only belong to him. Sanctuary clearly stated "Rose's contributions to such and such".
But now Duff and Slash are asserting that what Sanctuary got from him didn?t exist, which implies that Sanctuary is who had a bad cheque palmed off on them. God knows whether that will be the case or not within the next 2 decades. That?s it.  ok

I'm certain that the Sanctuary deal could be nullified if the court determines that Axl does not own those publishing rights. I suspect that the money up front was less than he could theorectically get if there were no lawsuit over those rights pending.

I do not understand Slash and Duff's beef; they can obviously veto any Sanctuary initiated effort to use the old materials and outvote them on whatever project they are willing to pursue. this is yet another case where these two guys should have kept themselves out of the fray. I guess they need to learn the words, No comment.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2005, 05:14:46 PM »

all i can say is Merck hooked Axl up!

Axl gets 19 million dollars, sanctuary controls Axl's shares

who is the CEO of sanctuary? Merck is, so Axl will still get a final seal of approval anyway and loses the headache of having to deal with slash and duff.

Plus if something shitty happens with GNR's back catalog, axl is clear cause he can say it was slash,duff and sanctuary's fault.

Axl did a very brilliant thing to finally once and for all move away from the old and have a fresh start with the new.

I love Slash and Duff but its hilarious how axl always seems to be a step ahead of them.

Slash and Duff must feel like Elmer Fudd or Tom from the Tom and Jerry cartoons

i mean axl manipulated them to sign over the rights of the band and now axl gets almost 20 million and still will have a say on how GNR music is distributed.

fuckin brilliant how he keeps running circles around the old band.

Axl should leave his brains out of it so it will be a fair fight! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2005, 05:21:45 PM »

I do not understand Slash and Duff's beef; they can obviously veto any Sanctuary initiated effort to use the old materials and outvote them on whatever project they are willing to pursue. this is yet another case where these two guys should have kept themselves out of the fray. I guess they need to learn the words, No comment.

Exactly, I really think that Slash and Duff are trying to do everything they can to stop Chinese Democracy from coming out.   Why?  Because deep down inside, I think both Slash and Duff know how talented Axl is and that this Album could be a real success.  And trust me, the last thing Slash and Duff would want is Axl to start getting credit.  They both want to see Axl fail. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2005, 05:27:38 PM »

anyone seen metallica's "some kind of monster" DVD?

did u see DaveMustaine and how miserable he was that he got kicked out of one of the biggest bands ever?

I think Slash and Duff will realize what they walked away from when CD comes out and it really bothers them that they arent in GNR anymore.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2005, 05:30:30 PM »

guys, everyone chill out. look at the article carefully. the only "new" information that the article is based on is the following:

"McKagan's lawyer, Glen Miskel, expressed surprise when told of the Sanctuary deal. He said Rose, Slash and Duff were part of a partnership and "neither Sanctuary nor Axl Rose have provided the remaining partners with a copy of that agreement." He added Rose is trying to transfer copyright interests in songs which "are not owned by Mr. Rose."

read between the lines. duff's lawyer wasnt' aware of this deal. his main issue seems to be that axl never sent this contract to duff or slash. in fact, what probably happened was some random reporter called him up and he had no idea about it, so he just had to go based on what the reporter said. so the lawyer may have just assumed that axl was trying to sell the entire copyrights or publishing rights to the songs, which he would not be allowed to do. it's probably a misunderstanding due to the fact that axl didnt tell the other guys anything about it (and since they are part of the same partnership, they would have a right to know who they had to deal with).

in short: people should chill out and not read too much into this. nowhere does it say that slash and duff want to sue axl or sanctuary over this deal. all it says is that duff's lawyer wasn't aware of it.

now you know me better
AxlGunner
VIP

« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »

did u see DaveMustaine and how miserable he was that he got kicked out of one of the biggest bands ever?

I think Slash and Duff will realize what they walked away from when CD comes out and it really bothers them that they arent in GNR anymore.

yea, slash and duff really seem like miserable guys these days. that whole velvet revolver thing really doesn't keep them busy, does it. they clearly would rather have been sitting on their asses for 10 years than putting out records. one day they will realize this.

now you know me better
Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2005, 05:40:04 PM »

He added Rose is trying to transfer copyright interests in songs which "are not owned by Mr. Rose."

You forgot to comment on this. I think the reason why people are worried of more lawsuits is from this statement above. They are claiming Axl didn't have any ownership of the items which he sold. So they are saying the deal is bogus, and I say don't be surprised if they try to fight this out in court too. I don't think this would mean CD gets delayed. Clearly those songs are all Axl's and don't involve slash/duff. Unless he reworked some songs written by duff or slash.

AxlGunner
VIP

« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2005, 05:53:07 PM »

He added Rose is trying to transfer copyright interests in songs which "are not owned by Mr. Rose."

You forgot to comment on this. I think the reason why people are worried of more lawsuits is from this statement above. They are claiming Axl didn't have any ownership of the items which he sold. So they are saying the deal is bogus, and I say don't be surprised if they try to fight this out in court too. I don't think this would mean CD gets delayed. Clearly those songs are all Axl's and don't involve slash/duff. Unless he reworked some songs written by duff or slash.

sorry, this was meant to address that:

"so the lawyer may have just assumed that axl was trying to sell the entire copyrights or publishing rights to the songs, which he would not be allowed to do. it's probably a misunderstanding due to the fact that axl didnt tell the other guys anything about it"

in other words, all the lawyer had to go on was what the reporter told him about the deal with axl/sanctuary. the reporter probably told him thatt axl sold the copyrights/publishing rights to sanctuary. when in reality the reporter SHOULD have said axl sold "his portion of" the publishing rights. but even axl's ownership is in contention with the current lawsuit. the lawyer's initial reaction was probably, "hey slash and duff own part of that too". i dont know all the details of the current lawsuit, but duff and slash may even say axl has no say in those rights at all anymore. those issues, if that's what they are, are for the courts to decide. and they will decide based on the law. this is fair.

frankly, i wouldnt take this to mean much (by that i mean don't blame duff and slash for being assholes), as this is just an off-the-cuff reaction by duff's lawyer. if slash and duff really think its a problem, wait for them to say as much.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 05:58:44 PM by AxlGunner » Logged

now you know me better
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2005, 05:53:36 PM »

guys, everyone chill out. look at the article carefully. the only "new" information that the article is based on is the following:

"McKagan's lawyer, Glen Miskel, expressed surprise when told of the Sanctuary deal. He said Rose, Slash and Duff were part of a partnership and "neither Sanctuary nor Axl Rose have provided the remaining partners with a copy of that agreement." He added Rose is trying to transfer copyright interests in songs which "are not owned by Mr. Rose."

read between the lines. duff's lawyer wasnt' aware of this deal. his main issue seems to be that axl never sent this contract to duff or slash. in fact, what probably happened was some random reporter called him up and he had no idea about it, so he just had to go based on what the reporter said. so the lawyer may have just assumed that axl was trying to sell the entire copyrights or publishing rights to the songs, which he would not be allowed to do. it's probably a misunderstanding due to the fact that axl didnt tell the other guys anything about it (and since they are part of the same partnership, they would have a right to know who they had to deal with).

in short: people should chill out and not read too much into this. nowhere does it say that slash and duff want to sue axl or sanctuary over this deal. all it says is that duff's lawyer wasn't aware of it.

I agree with you here. ?This article didn't say too much. ?However, I still believe in my earlier post about how Duff and Slash don't want to see CD come out. ?They like it the way it is now (Velvet Revolver touring and putting out music while Axl still hasn't done anything). ?Once CD comes out, I would bet that Duff and Slash know that it's going to be a success. ?I honestly think that they are trying to anything they can to get in the way of it's release. ?That's just my opinion, but I don't think they want CD to see the light of day. ?It will make them look better. ?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2005, 05:58:28 PM »

This is the essence of their suit against Rose.

I don't think this deal was in anyway meant to settle the lawsuit; in fact, it has inflammed the other side.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2005, 06:00:09 PM »

Once CD comes out, I would bet that Duff and Slash know that it's going to be a success.
well as you know...it will only be because of the GNR name

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #333 on: February 01, 2005, 06:13:14 PM »

Huh

velvet-revolver.com

well as you know...it will only initially/mostly be because of the GNR name

Sounds right ok
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2005, 06:15:07 PM »

well as you know...it will only initially/mostly be because of the GNR name

Sounds right
Lips Sealed ok

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
R. R. Dadfield
« Reply #335 on: February 01, 2005, 06:17:49 PM »

Exactly, I really think that Slash and Duff are trying to do everything they can to stop Chinese Democracy from coming out.? ?Why?? Because deep down inside, I think both Slash and Duff know how talented Axl is and that this Album could be a real success.? And trust me, the last thing Slash and Duff would want is Axl to start getting credit.? They both want to see Axl fail.?

I'm not sure I agree with this: ?Slash/Duff's and Axl's careers are intimately connected even now - one generates publicity for the other - and so in business terms they're good for each other. ?It wouldn't make sense to keep blocking CD's release (even if they could, which I'm not sure they can), because it would generate media interest, comparison and sales for VR. ?Despite saying 'Oh, well we're a new band', VR exist on the basis on GNR - a fact which they exploit - and Contraband was successful partly due to the interest levels sustained by Axl's 'games' with his new band. ? ?

What confuses me about this, is that its presumably about the old material and Axl's 'deal' with Sanctuary. ?How can this possibly affect production of new music - that has nothing do do with Slash/Duff? ?I don't understand how a dispute about the old stuff can affect possible release of new songs - after all, the only continuum is the GNR name - which, as far as I know, Axl owns anyway. ?So what's going on? ?After all, there didn't seem to be any problem with 'Oh My God'? ?Can somebody explain how this impacts upon CD's release.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2005, 06:31:23 PM »

Regardless of mr. McKagan's lawyer,

I'm certain that the Sanctuary deal could be nullified if the court determines that Axl does not own those publishing rights. I suspect that the money up front was less than he could theorectically get if there were no lawsuit over those rights pending.

Yep. That?s why I keep questioning Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
I mean, why the hell and out of the blue Slash and Duff brought the suit over the partnership after eh, aw many years? Do they comment because they want those who it may concern to know there is a lawsuit pending over Axl?s rights like the cross? I don?t know.

Anyway, I don't think CD is what they wanted (/want?  Undecided) to obstruct.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2005, 06:38:02 PM »

and Contraband was successful partly due to the interest levels sustained by Axl's 'games' with his new band. ?

Come on man.. no ?

I honestly think that they are trying to anything they can to get in the way of it's release.  That's just my opinion, but I don't think they want CD to see the light of day.

Are you basing this on anything other than your own silly presumptions?
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2005, 06:59:17 PM »

and Contraband was successful partly due to the interest levels sustained by Axl's 'games' with his new band. ?

Come on man.. no ?

I honestly think that they are trying to anything they can to get in the way of it's release.? That's just my opinion, but I don't think they want CD to see the light of day.

Are you basing this on anything other than your own silly presumptions?

I think we all know the answer to that one.
AxlGunner
VIP

« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2005, 07:19:52 PM »

Exactly, I really think that Slash and Duff are trying to do everything they can to stop Chinese Democracy from coming out.? ?Why?? Because deep down inside, I think both Slash and Duff know how talented Axl is and that this Album could be a real success.? And trust me, the last thing Slash and Duff would want is Axl to start getting credit.? They both want to see Axl fail.?

I'm not sure I agree with this: ?Slash/Duff's and Axl's careers are intimately connected even now - one generates publicity for the other - and so in business terms they're good for each other. ?It wouldn't make sense to keep blocking CD's release (even if they could, which I'm not sure they can), because it would generate media interest, comparison and sales for VR. ?Despite saying 'Oh, well we're a new band', VR exist on the basis on GNR - a fact which they exploit - and Contraband was successful partly due to the interest levels sustained by Axl's 'games' with his new band. ? ?

damn, this is exactly what i tried to post before i left work but i guess something went wrong since i don't see my post. anyway, well put, i agree totally. a gnr vs. vr feud in the rock charts would theoretically be beneficial to both bands (ie: increased publicity, name recognition, music recognition, etc)

as for the second half of your post, the issue is old material vs. new material. if axl can't sign away the rights to the old material, then the contract he signed with sanctuary may be declared null and void. most likely this just means they would have to write a NEW contract that covers ONLY new material (which i'm sure sanctuary would like to do. that is, if they think CD is ever coming out). that's the only way it may affect CD. i'm sure sanctuary's lawyers are aware of this possibility though (or at least i hope!)

now you know me better
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: