Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 08:25:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 70840 times)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2005, 10:09:14 AM »

i applauded him for not putting songs on lame movie soundtracks and tv commercials *the wttj in san andreas is ok* cause he is in the game

What are you talking about? ?This romanticized notion that Axl will not allow his work to be used for commercial purposes is complete bullshit. ?For example, this comment made by another poster:

Now Axl signed away the rights, you can count the days until half of the old material will appear in movies, commercials and other stuff.

Because now Slash and Duff can sell out the way they alyways wanted but couldn't because Axl was before that.

Complete bullshit. ?"Welcome To The Jungle" is currently in a commercial. ?Its in a video game. ?GNR songs have always been in movies, or on movie soundtracks. ?So if youre "counting down the days," youre a little late. ? ok

but there is nothing i hate worse than a song in a tv commercial

Well, then you should be pissed, because a GNR song is in a commercial. ?And I dont think its necessarily Slash and Duffs doing...

if a gnr song appears in a lame TV add i will never listen to that song again, cause it will totally fuck up any meaning i once felt for that particular song and it will make the song lame in my eyes.

Unless Axl has a small part in whatever product is being advertised?

As for Axl selling his rights, thats his right and his decision. ?Its just amazing how some will take that action and somehow turn it on Slash and Duff to make them the "bad guys." ?Typical, though.

wtf???

the fact that gn'r has always been in soundtracks and commercials is so BS is not even funny, what the hell are you talking about? sure they have popped up a few times, but seldom with an official soundtrack and i can't think of a commercial they have been in except for "robinson survivour vip" in norway and sweden  hihi... you never see official gn'r merch in stores and so on. there is no doubht that the gn'r name has been very well protected the last decade.

And the fact that duff and slash had to sue axl for not letting them put old gn'r material in films says it all.

and for duff's and slash's part, they might not want to give away the gn'r rights they have, but it's pretty obvious that they still want to milk the gn'r cow EVEN tho they're doing a total different gig these days...

i'd be pretty fucking dissapointed if sanctuary, duff and slash started to throw out old gn'r songs all over the place...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2005, 10:17:07 AM »

Slash and DUff still have to put thier vote in for a song to go on a commercial or movie. Sanctuary is taking Axls place not the whole band. SO there are still 2 other people that have to approve or reject a song being sold. This is actually better for Slash and Duff because I remember reading that they wanted a few songs on some movies but Axl didnt allow it...something to that effect....
Now they have their wish of not having to deal with Axl and Duffs lawyer is going to get into the way. I just dont get it. Axl will not be involved with old gnr anymore yet why the challenges? They will also have the potential to be making a shit load of more money on old gnr material than Axl as well.

Slash and Duff to make them the "bad guys."? Typical, though
Yea, Axl is always looked upon as the good guy? ok
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 10:23:20 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2005, 10:29:08 AM »

Yea, Axl is always looked upon as the good guy? ok

are you kidding me ? go to blabbermouth and read most of the comments on every GNR thread, people fucking hate AXL.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2005, 10:35:33 AM »

As for Axl selling his rights, thats his right and his decision.  Its just amazing how some will take that action and somehow turn it on Slash and Duff to make them the "bad guys."  Typical, though.

I agree unless Duff/ Slash attempt to derail the deal through more litigation, which knowingly would disrupt the release of Chinese Democracy. No publishing deal = No CD.

I didn't appreciate the 'selling out' comment since it wasn't explained properly; one could make the short leap that Slash/Duff are being a bit hypocritical since the in their lawsuit they explicitly say that Axl singlehandedly derailed a number of deals which would have put GnR songs in movie soundtracks. I think though they were refering to selling out his publishing rights; the comment though has other less complimentary connotations.
That doesn?t amaze me. I find another thing typical here. That is, a certain number of posters become extra unreasonable when they are losing arguments.
Like fan, like artist? What else can you expect?
If SnD were happy with this news S wouldn't be so bitter.

I believe the word they used in the press release was "exploit"
The company has the Shareholders. They?re not the most understanding bunch toward music. Their concern is if their investment is sound and pay dividends.  They require sure prospects of the company. In explanation of the expenditure the company would cite something convincing to everyone as security for the deal. It doesn?t mean they are planning to exploit it wrongly.

As I said earlier, Sanctuary seems rather musician friendly.
Remember GH was released with the disapprovals of all of them. And that apparently hindered the release of new album, according to the management.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2005, 10:43:40 AM »

sanctuary can publish gunsnroses music 4 use regardles of era, i think it's a good strategic move 4 gnr ?Smiley
i think it's axl who gets the most recognition for gunsnroses material in public and from new listeners....

good 4 him? ok so gunsnroses maybe get lots of ?recognition\commercial backup in upcoming releases? Cheesy
and it think this is a sign that a release date 4 new music is bein worked on next...
wave? get set for more updates soon i think (not axl soon) i don't know, i just like using this? ?beer
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 11:22:31 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »

That is, a certain number of posters become extra unreasonable when they are losing arguments.

I was losing an argument? I'm afraid I don't understand why you are singling me out. I agreed that axl could do with his shares whatever he wanted. But the language in Slash's statement leaves an opening for critics to label him a hypocrite. He can criticize Axl all he wishes, but it doesn't change the fact that Axl legislated his shares to someone else for the next twenty years. He will probably even received  some publishing royalites for them too.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2005, 12:01:55 PM »

killingvector, Come on,  if you read ya quote carefully, you must know that I'm not singling you out!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2005, 12:32:52 PM »

are you kidding me ? go to blabbermouth and read most of the comments on every GNR thread, people fucking hate AXL.
i was being sarcastic

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2005, 12:46:32 PM »

i was being sarcastic
Communication is often difficult. Not everyone has same sense of humour.  Undecided
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2005, 12:54:28 PM »

killingvector, Come on,  if you read ya quote carefully, you must know that I'm not singling you out!

it's hard to tell from what you wrote previousy, but I accept your last response.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »

That crap about Slash and Duff feeling it's "too valuable" is such laughable bullshit. They were the sellouts who wanted songs in every fucking movie they could whore themselves to. Axl at least had the presence of mind to have STANDARDS. Big Daddy (hey I don't like him much but Sandler is popular), End of Days, etc... meanwhile Slash would probably see SCOM included in a J-Lo flick if it brought him a paycheck.

If you considered End of Days and Big Daddy as 'standards' or good films then I wonder what would you describe as 'shit'. Cause those two movies were as weak as a movie can be.

BTW some of you really need to visit your doctor/psychiatrist because your hatred against Slash and Duff isn't normal at all. You are always findind them because you are frustrated not getting CD and it's impossible for you to realize who is responsible for most of this shit in the GN'R world.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2005, 02:08:12 PM »

I would assume Axl has faith in them since he went with less money.   Maybe they will protect GnR from being on a tampon commercial.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2005, 02:11:04 PM »

If you considered End of Days and Big Daddy as 'standards' or good films then I wonder what would you describe as 'shit'. Cause those two movies were as weak as a movie can be.
EOD was an Arnold film and Big Daddy was a very popular film. The list that I saw SLash wanted to see GNr songs in was not what you call A list movies either...

BTW some of you really need to visit your doctor/psychiatrist because your hatred against Slash and Duff isn't normal at all
Where should the people who have a lot more hatred and animosity towards Axl go?

You are always findind them because you are frustrated not getting CD and it's impossible for you to realize who is responsible for most of this shit in the GN'R world.
Not having Cd ?has nothing to do with why people dislike Slash and Duff. Its more of how they change thier tune every other day than anything else.

But yes, all who hate slash and duff have major problems...

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2005, 02:23:37 PM »

I don't think that Axl will only get the 10 million pounds...

I believe that he'll also gain from selling the rights in future deals. That's why he chose Sanctuary over other companies...

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2005, 02:34:12 PM »

BTW some of you really need to visit your doctor/psychiatrist because your hatred against Slash and Duff isn't normal at all
Where should the people who have a lot more hatred and animosity towards Axl go?

You are always findind them because you are frustrated not getting CD and it's impossible for you to realize who is responsible for most of this shit in the GN'R world.
Not having Cd ?has nothing to do with why people dislike Slash and Duff. Its more of how they change thier tune every other day than anything else.

But yes, all who hate slash and duff have major problems...

Yes, in your world Slash and Duff is responsible for everything bad in the last 8 years, too. That's not normal. I've never said that GN'R broke up because of only Axl, of course not, every bandmember had his part from Steven and Slash to Axl and Tobias. But when there's something wrong's happenin' with VR or Snakepit none of the Slash fans blamed/blames Axl for it. But if Axl sells his rights then who is the biggest fuckhead? Slash and Duff. ?confused And the chant is starting again that Axl would have fuckin' released his album, if those evil bastards hadn't make it impossible ?confused OMG... There isn't any risk in consulting a psychiatrist, some of you just go there and speak about GN'R and then he/she'll get some pills to HAVE A LIFE. That's it.

And I don't hate Axl, he is my all time favourite singer, I bet that noone wants his return more than me, but I'm sick of those fans who act like it'd be a religion to be an Axl fan. And please read the posts carefully whose fans show much much more hostility and hatred against Slash N' Duff/Axl.

Rollin' on the streets
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2005, 02:45:23 PM »

Yes, in your world Slash and Duff is responsible for everything bad in the last 8 years, too. That's not normal.
Please, direct me to a post of mine where I make that claim. I think SLash and Duff have had a role in the delays of CD from a legal issue standpoint. But none of that has made me have hatred towards them. I havnt thought about them 1 bit in that regard. I dont say that Slash and Duff are being dicks and being difficult with the whole legality thing therefore I dont like them. Sorry but thats not how it is....
what comes out of their mouth is a different thing...and even after that I dont despise them. Just dont think their angles or always right

But if Axl sells his rights then who is the biggest fuckhead? Slash and Duff.
Whos calling who a sellout? All Axl has done was sell what he OWN in the gnr partnership to the company. The reason people are getting annoyed at Slash and DUff is because they are the same people who were complaining how Axl wouldnt use various songs in past soundtracks. The same people who keep saying they dont want to have anything to do with Axl, are the same people who might attempt to challenge this move in court. The move that eliminates Axl from the old gnr picture. Strange isnt it? The funny thing is that they still have a say on what can or cannot be used in a soundtrack. They just dont have to go through Axl now. WHich is what they never really want to do.

but I'm sick of those fans who act like it'd be a religion to be an Axl fan. And please read the posts carefully whose fans show much much more hostility and hatred against Slash N' Duff/Axl.
Please dont come here and tell me that Slash and Duff have it much harder with the fans/media and general public than Axl. Please do us all a favor. The reaility is Axl is the dickhead and the guy who broke up old gnr. Whether any of that is true or not will never be known. But what is known is that over the years people have leaned to the Slash and Duff corner....I have noticed over the past year or so that a lot of people are starting to realize that maybe Axl isnt lieing about some things afterall. Maybe there is some truth to what he says and not everything Slash and Duff say are true. Mainly because of what comes out of their mouth.
Now if that makes some1 a fanatic then theres nothing I can do. If some1 doesnt agree with Slash they get labeled anyways...Godforbid some1 say Axl might be in the right....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 02:50:12 PM by younggunner » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2005, 03:04:57 PM »

the fact that gn'r has always been in soundtracks and commercials is so BS is not even funny, what the hell are you talking about?

Im saying this (GNR songs appearing in movies) is nothing new...With Axl in control of his rights, we saw GNR songs in:

1989 ?Lean on Me Original Soundtrack ? Performer
 1990 ? Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal Various Artists ? Performer
 1991 ?Days of Thunder Original Soundtrack ?Performer
 1994 ? Vid Grid Various Artists ? Performer
 1995 ?Interview with the Vampire Original Soundtrack ?Producer, Performer
 1995 ?Kuschelrock, Vol. 9 Various Artists ? Performer
 1995 ?Rocks Off Various Artists ? Performer
 1996 ? Best Rock Anthems in the World...Ever! Various Artists ? Performer
 1996 ? Soft Rock: 36 Classic Rock Ballads Various Artists ? Performer
 1997 ?Grosse Pointe Blank Original Soundtrack ?Producer, Performer
 1998 ?Can't Hardly Wait Original Soundtrack ?Performer
 1998 ? Rocktober Various Artists ? Performer
 1998 ?Welcome to the Jungle Jim Rome ? Performer
 1999 ?End of Days [Clean] Original Soundtrack ? Performer
 1999 ?End of Days Original Soundtrack ?Performer
 1999 ?Kuschelrock, Vol. 8 Various Artists ? Performer
 2004 ?Greatest Hits Guns N' Roses ?Group, Producer
 ? ? Decline of Western Civilization, Pt. 2: The Metal Yea

Not to mention Terminator 2 (for which "YCBM" was almost a commercial), Cant Hardly Wait, The Program, Real Cancun, Big Daddy and others Im probably forgetting. ?The Longest Yard seems to be another. ?In the lawsuit, I think Duff and Slash cited 4 or 5 movies (not commercials) that Axl blocked. ?One being Black Hawk Down, which Axl apparently agreed to give music to only if he could re-record with a different band. ?But youre okay with that?

Wasnt "Live And Let Die" being used in a commercial for Richard Bransons reality show a few months back? ?And we know "WTTJ" is currently in a video game commercial...but thats okay. ?The reality of that isnt as offensive as this invented notion that Slash and Duff are dying to put their songs in commercials...Ive seen no evidence of this. ?The lawsuit cited movies (movies that Duff thought were good, whether you agree or not is irrelevant). ?So the point is, GNRs music is in Real Cancun, and it was used while Axl was still owner of his rights, and apparently had the power to black deals. ?

sure they have popped up a few times

A few times ?hihi...see above.

but seldom with an official soundtrack and i can't think of a commercial they have been in except for "robinson survivour vip" in norway and sweden? hihi...

And Richard Bransons show...and movie trailers...and Grand Theft Auto. ?Thats while Axl had his rights.

you never see official gn'r merch in stores and so on.

But theres a ton of it online...So its better because its less convenient for fans to buy? Huh?

there is no doubht that the gn'r name has been very well protected the last decade.

If by well-protected you mean licensed to numerous film projects, merchandise sold online, and select commercials and video games... ok

And the fact that duff and slash had to sue axl for not letting them put old gn'r material in films says it all.

No...They sued Axl for not letting them put songs in some films...You seem adament in ignoring the dozen or so movies he apparently did allow songs to be licencsed.

and for duff's and slash's part, they might not want to give away the gn'r rights they have, but it's pretty obvious that they still want to milk the gn'r cow EVEN tho they're doing a total different gig these days...

If you want to call that milking the cow, feel free. ?But understand that Axl was right there with them up until the last 5 or so offers. ?And selling the rights for $10 million could be called milking the cow by some. ?No matter what gig their doing, thats still their music and they want control of it. ?

i'd be pretty fucking disappointed

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 03:10:13 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #277 on: January 30, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »

My original post wasn't directed to you but you surely felt concerned and replied. That's something you should clear with yourself.

I don't mind if Axl sold his right or not. It's his business. Slash and Duff wants to sell GN'R songs to commercials or movies? It's their business. If Axl doesn't want GN'R songs in commercials or some movies he'll surely be able to cancel that because he's smart enough to have a contract with Sanctuary with his wishes and his terms. And it's quite obvious that Slash and Duff has a say in what's happenin' with the 'old' GN'R songs, since they wrote them. I wonder why Izzy and Steven doesn't have a say in this, maybe they left under different circumstances and Slash N' Duff had better lawyers.

I still think that Axl fans hate much more Slash, Duff and occasionally their fans than the fans of Slash N' Duff do. But it has nothing to do with Axl, Slash or Duff, it's only some fans acting. And sorry, I still don't believe that Slash or Duff forbade Axl to put out CD under GN'R's name and I don't remember Axl mentioning this so I don't know how some of you (maybe not you, YG) came to this 'conclusion'.

Rollin' on the streets
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2005, 03:16:04 PM »

Wasnt "Live And Let Die" being used in a commercial for Richard Bransons reality show a few months back?
It was a version by another band

from 89-about 95/96 wasnt slash and duff still in the band? So Im sure they agreed with all of those songs as well. It wasnt just an Axl thing. Otherwise they woul dhave said something during that time or in the recent years when they have discussed Axl and this situation. I dont even know what half of that stuff is. Never even knew that it existed and Gnr were involved. The only major things Axl has done is the Big Daddy{did the old band have any say in that}, EOD, and the video game.

My original post wasn't directed to you but you surely felt concerned and replied. That's something you should clear with yourself.
Maybe your the one who need to be more clear. "you are always finding them.." when i see you I think me...so thats all you not me....

because he's smart enough to have a contract with Sanctuary with his wishes and his terms.
Axl is rumored to be a smart guy  Wink

I still think that Axl fans hate much more Slash, Duff and occasionally their fans than the fans of Slash N' Duff do. But it has nothing to do with Axl, Slash or Duff, it's only some fans acting.
thats an argument you will never win

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2005, 03:22:18 PM »

from 89-about 95/96 wasnt slash and duff still in the band? So Im sure they agreed with all of those songs as well. It wasnt just an Axl thing.

Your point is irrelevant.  Because the point wasnt to exonerate Slash or Duff, but to show that a lot of GNR material has been licensed under Axls "watch."  If Axl was the true paragon of musical integrity that some here wished he was, he would have blocked a lot more than Death To Smoochy and a few other movies.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: