Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 70653 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2005, 06:28:05 PM »

It's indeed great news! Can we expect a release date in February? Maybe it will be released in April/May.  ok

14 years of silence
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2005, 06:33:06 PM »

Sanctuary shares tumble as it surprises with ?13.5m losses
By Dan Sabbagh and Adam Sherwin

SANCTUARY Music Group, the independent record label, yesterday revealed unexpected losses of ?13.5 million just two days before it was due to release its annual results.

The admission, which appears to have followed a row between the company and its auditor, Baker Tilly, knocked 15 per cent off the share price and will wipe out most of the group?s profits for this year.

It also overshadowed the group?s announcement that it had acquired the publishing rights to Guns N? Roses? back catalogue in a deal believed to be worth ?10 million. Guns N? Roses will join Morrissey, Beyonc? and Coldplay as clients of Sanctuary.

However, the sudden shortfall emerged from problems elsewhere in the company. The bulk stemmed from an ?11.4 million ?previously unanticipated provision? which was agreed upon ?in discussion with the group?s auditors?, according to a statement released yesterday. The provision relates to the fact that the company expects to receive less money from Cloud 9, a TV production business that it used to own.

Cloud 9 was sold to its founder, former scriptwriter Raymond Thompson, in 2003 for ?28.5 million in loan notes. However, Cloud 9 has struggled since the sale, and the recent restructuring has meant that Sanctuary is unlikely to get back all of its loan.

As well as the write-off, Sanctuary?s books arm said that it would record a loss of ?2.1 million in the year to September 2004, following a restructuring required by poor trading. The unit, which publishes authors such as Neil Young and John Motson, had been expected to break even.

Richard Hitchcock, an analyst at Numis Securities, said: ?The good news is that these items are non-core to the rest of the group. But it will hit investor confidence, given that this announcement has come so late in the day.?

Numis said that last year?s losses in books would reduce pre-tax profits for last year to about ?16 million. For this year, earnings predictions fell from ?20 million to ?6.6 million, including the write-down.

Sanctuary said that it did expect to generate about ?50 million from exploiting Guns N? Roses hits through film soundtracks, cover versions and their use in advertisements.

Deke Arlon, Sanctuary?s head of publishing, said: ?After The Beatles and Queen there doesn?t come much bigger in the rock canon than Guns N? Roses. We spent years trying to find the right deal and we are delighted with acquiring a slice of rock history.?

The notoriously unpredictable Axl Rose signed with Sanctuary after months of negotiations through his lawyers. Although rival publishers are believed to have offered more, Rose felt more comfortable with Sanctuary?s business plan.

Sanctuary has also secured the rights to Chinese Democracy, the new Guns N? Roses album and all future Rose material. However, the album has no release date 12 years after work began. The effort has cost other labels ?6 million and seen off eight producers.

The above information was taken from the thetimesonline.co.uk any thoughts?
Kahz
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2005, 06:35:42 PM »

However, the album has no release date 12 years after work began.
And here we are in 2009!

"Can you hear yourself? ... He can't hear shit. It'd be real nice if he could hear better. Probably'd make the song go better."
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2005, 06:39:44 PM »

The notoriously unpredictable Axl Rose signed with Sanctuary after months of negotiations through his lawyers. Although rival publishers are believed to have offered more, Rose felt more comfortable with Sanctuary?s business plan.

Sanctuary has also secured the rights to Chinese Democracy, the new Guns N? Roses album and all future Rose material

shit! they specifically stated that sanctuary has "secured the rights to Chinese Democracy"...that implies that the album is done - a finished product...how can they secure rights to something that doesn't exist? looks like CD is in the bag and ready to go

also...they stated that axl and his lawyers have been negotiating this for months...tommy stated that "legal issues" were one of the only things holding CD back...maybe this is what axl has been waiting for - a publishing deal...hopefully this was the only thing holding up the release and everything will begin to move forward now
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 06:47:25 PM by blues rocker » Logged
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2005, 06:43:08 PM »

Sanctuary has also secured the rights to Chinese Democracy, the new Guns N? Roses album and all future Rose material

shit! they specifically stated that sanctuary has "secured the rights to Chinses Democracy"...that implies that the album is done - a finished product...how can they secure rights to something that doesn't exist? looks like CD is in the bag and ready to go

This could also meaan that since Sanctuary are having some financial issues, this could help push out CD faster since that would definately be a quick money-maker.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »

shit! they specifically stated that sanctuary has "secured the rights to Chinses Democracy"...that implies that the album is done - a finished product...how can they secure rights to something that doesn't exist? looks like CD is in the bag and ready to go

That quote is probably based on what Sanctuary said:

The deal covers both future material and catalogue. Rose's contribution to such hits as "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City" and "November Rain" are covered under the deal, as are dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2005, 06:48:08 PM »

That quote is probably based on what Sanctuary said:

The deal covers both future material and catalogue. Rose's contribution to such hits as "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City" and "November Rain" are covered under the deal, as are dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music.

/jarmo

Damnit this is the best news I've heard so far this year. Dozens recently recorded. Whoot!!

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2005, 06:48:36 PM »

things just Look more and more promesing!! ?ok

Damn great!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
14 years of silence
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2005, 06:56:36 PM »

Deke Arlon, Sanctuary?s head of publishing, said: ?After The Beatles and Queen there doesn?t come much bigger in the rock canon than Guns N? Roses. We spent years trying to find the right deal and we are delighted with acquiring a slice of rock history.?

I like this part of the article  ok

blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2005, 07:10:40 PM »

something tells me that since CD is now in sanctuary's hands, they will want to move forward and release the new material...they didn't buy the rights to it so it could sit around and collect dust...they paid a ton of money for those new songs, and they will want to profit from them...think about it...sanctuary has just paid a crap load of cash for the new songs - do you think they're going to just sit around and do nothing? HELL NO!
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »

This must mean something. It has to.

I've seen enough.
fieldsy
Careless whisper
VIP

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2005, 08:12:52 PM »

Im pretty sure that they wouldn't shelled out money if they didn't have some kind of legal guarantee that CD was ready to go and was going to be released. ?It would make pretty shitty business sense.

Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2005, 08:31:28 PM »

Im pretty sure that they wouldn't shelled out money if they didn't have some kind of legal guarantee that CD was ready to go and was going to be released.  It would make pretty shitty business sense.

That sounds right to me. I bet CD had a big deal to do with this. They needed to make a bold move to make up for losses.... They say it's been in the works for a long while. Axl was probably able to negotiate his marketing/creative vision and obviously felt comfortable with this decision. I feel bad for talking shit if this pans the way it looks. I was bitching negative over well, pretty much speculation and bullshit rumors. But this announcment is a fact and finally a positive one that puts things in perspective for me.

I don't think Sanctuary has final say on album release, but like people have said I'm sure they will push the label for it to happen "sooner than later"... ha ha. Seriously thought.

SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2005, 08:34:58 PM »

Sanctuary shares tumble as it surprises with ?13.5m losses
By Dan Sabbagh and Adam Sherwin

SANCTUARY Music Group, the independent record label, yesterday revealed unexpected losses of ?13.5 million just two days before it was due to release its annual results.

Ironic that a figure tossed around was $13.5 million that they had paid Axl to make Chinese Democracy.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2005, 08:37:38 PM »

wow.

This is some of the best GNR news I''ve heard since the Greatest Hits were announced. It doesnt tell me much about Chinese democracy aside from the fact that "dozens" of tracks are finished which is GREAT .. but what it does tell me is that in a very short amount of time we are gunna be bombarded with classic gnr songs in film and TV .. tv commercials , shows and the movies!!!  It was always rare to hear gnr songs in films but this deal seems to really bang the door wide open.

Think of all the recent GTA:SA comercials on tv playing WTTJ ... then picture the very next TV ad for whatever product playing SCOM and the next TV ad is playing Paradise City!  Shocked

With this deal it could very well be a reality!

They must plan to really get ALOT of songs in ALOT of shows and films to generate the kind of money they hope to generate from licensing.  ok

Atleast we can be CERTAIN this is great news for fans of the old material and hopefully also any new material that surfaces.

Yay!  peace

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2005, 08:53:07 PM »

but what it does tell me is that in a very short amount of time we are gunna be bombarded with classic gnr songs in film and TV .. tv commercials , shows and the movies!!!

hink of all the recent GTA:SA comercials on tv playing WTTJ ... then picture the very next TV ad for whatever product playing SCOM and the next TV ad is playing Paradise City!

With this deal it could very well be a reality!

Lets cross our fingers that doesn't happen.
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2005, 09:07:42 PM »

Sanctuary said that it did expect to generate about ?50 million from exploiting Guns N? Roses hits through film soundtracks, cover versions and their use in advertisements.
This was my first thought when I saw the deal was made.
The cashing in on the back catalog through film and other artists
covering their music. The only downfall is that GnR's music could become overcommercialized, and I hope the band doesn't lose credibility for it.

The notoriously unpredictable Axl Rose signed with Sanctuary after months of negotiations through his lawyers. Although rival publishers are believed to have offered more, Rose felt more comfortable with Sanctuary?s business plan..?

This had to be one of the major hurdles holding up the release.
While I'm sure Sanctuary group already has ideas on how to profit off of
the back catalog, they have to be chomping at the bit to get GnR back
into the public eye, release Chinese Democracy and to get
"the GnR brand" back into a positive light with the general music-buying
public.
 beer

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2005, 12:00:15 AM »

Well I still see nothing about future release DATES....just future material.  I guess that's a good thing, but come on at least throw a month where they think things will be jump started!  Errrrrr, just anxiously awaiting.  Just think people that you used to talk to will call you up out of no where,  "Man you were right, Chinese Democracy really does rock harder than anything else ever, Holy SHit!!"
SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2005, 12:01:27 AM »

i hope Axl still has some say over what other artists can use GNR's music, what movies it will be in etc.

i would be disapointed if i started to hear things like the chorus taken out of a GNR song for use by Lil John like that ozzy song he used recently

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2005, 12:05:29 AM »

i hope Axl still has some say over what other artists can use GNR's music, what movies it will be in etc.

i would be disapointed if i started to hear things like the chorus taken out of a GNR song for use by Lil John like that ozzy song he used recently

also I wonder how this will effect the court case with Slash and Duff trying to get control of GNR's music up until the point that Axl "left the partnership" or whatever

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: