Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228540 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott's the coverboy for 'The Sad State Of Rock'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott's the coverboy for 'The Sad State Of Rock'  (Read 4026 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: February 02, 2005, 07:13:36 PM »

The NY Daily News used Scott's pic for the cover of the NOW section for the article "The Sad State Of Rock"

Photo credit:? REUTERS

SHOOTING FOR A HIT:? Velvet Revolver singer Scott Weiland performs.

New York Daily News   ? ?
Wednesday, February 2, 2005

WEDNESDAY NOW

The Sad State Of Rock

A dearth of fresh hard-hitters is taking the wind out of sales

By JIM FARBER

Is rock dead?

Not quite. But judging from its performance on the charts - and compared to its biggest bands and trends from a few years ago - it's wheezing.

Cast your eye down 2004's Top 10-selling album list and you won't see a single new rock band. The sole hard guitar group is Evanescence - a holdover from 2003. The nearest thing to a new guitar band is Maroon 5, which didn't make it on a rock song but on a soul single, "This Love," and a billowing pop ballad, "She Will Be Loved."

Broaden your view to the year's Top 20 sellers and you'll find just one other rocker - and an aging one at that - Prince, who gave away enough copies of his "Musicology" to place it 18th in 2004.

Rap, meanwhile, racked up five albums in the Top 20.

R&B landed the No. 1 slot with Usher's "Confessions," which outsold the No. 2 entry, from Norah Jones, by more than 2 to 1.

Rap and country were both able to launch huge new stars. Kanye West and Gretchen Wilson each sold between 2.5 and 3 million copies of their debuts.

Only one breaking rock act, Hoobastank, cracked the 2 million mark, and by the skin of its teeth. And the Hoobsters managed that feat only by crossing over with an adult pop single, "The Reason." Considering that "The Reason" was the second-most-played number on radio last year (after Usher's "Yeah!"), Hoobastank's album should have sold many more copies.

When rock was more muscular - during the eras of grunge (mid-'90s), punk-pop (late '90s) and rap-metal (turn-of-the-century) - no such tepid pop crossover was even necessary.

What rock lacks these days is a newer band as humongous as Korn, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Nickelback, Staind, Blink 182, Linkin Park, Coldplay or Creed - not to mention the super-power-hitters of grunge, like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Each of those groups sold between 3 million and 10 million copies of their prime CDs.

Compare that to the typical sales of today's biggest new rock bands. Los Lonely Boys, Velvet Revolver, Switchfoot, Modest Mouse, Jet and Yellowcard have all sold fewer than 2 million albums. Another of the top rock albums of the last year, Guns N' Roses' "Greatest Hits," harkens back to past guitar glories.

The new rock groups who've gotten the most press lately have likewise yet to sell in star numbers.

The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol and The Rapture, represent the rock trend of the moment - neo-'80s alterna-rock. But the biggest of those bands (Killers and Franz) have yet to go platinum after a year of sales. That means fewer than a million copies.

The lesser groups (Interpol and The Rapture) haven't even sold enough records to go gold between them. That's a total of fewer than 500,000 copies.

The neo-'80s trend follows a previous rock movement that fizzled - garage rock. The only major act to arise from that trend was the White Stripes. Their main competition, The Strokes, ran out of steam by album No. 2, while other heavily hyped contenders, like The Hives, faded completely.

Some other rock bands who've been positioned as "the next big thing" likewise haven't lived up to their hype.

The Darkness got as much ink as Paris Hilton in the last year. But their album barely snuck past gold. Alter Bridge, which comprises the musicians from the defunct band Creed, didn't even crack sales of 300,000 with their debut.

At the moment, the top-selling guitar acts - Green Day and U2 - have been around for 15 and 25 years, respectively.

Linkin Park is the only rock-rap group to continue to sell in multiplatinum numbers. And they may have needed the input of Jay-Z's extra rapping on their recent mash-up CD, "Collision Course," to sustain that.

What rock would need to reclaim its primacy isn't a band with a huge pop hit (like Hoobastank or Maroon5), but a real, grassroots movement with its own sound and philosophy - like grunge.

Some observers thought emo might be that movement, with its growing cult stars, Death Cab For Cutie, Dashboard Confessional and Bright Eyes. But those groups have sold only in the several hundred thousand range so far.

And to sell, they've softened their sound, not hardened it. Which means whoever or whatever revives rock's prominence is nowhere in sight.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 07:39:49 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:22:48 AM »

This is shit, the NY list is shit!  The sole hard guitar group is Evanesence? You have to be fucking kidding me!! That's what u get when u let fuck faces write articles

Fuck 'Em All.
Civil_War
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »

after reading this it prooves that no one in the media knows what rock is anymore.
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 02:24:12 PM »

I don't know which upsets me more, that Los Lonley Boys are considered rock (they're pop, not to mentioni shitty IMHO), or that they outsold Velvet Revolver ... fuckin' depressing ...  no

And Ashely Simpson that far ahead in the sales figures just makes me want to puke, seriously, she can't even sing for Christ's sake ... didn't there used to be an emoticon that threw up, where did that one go, I need it!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 02:27:28 PM by echrisl » Logged

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »

I think it's a combination of the two ... that Los Lonely Boys are considered rock and that Ashlee Simpson outsold VR by over a million copies!!!? puke

emoticon that throws up code is:? :*puke:? (only leave out the *)

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 02:43:51 PM »

Hmm, puke just doesn't show up at the top, huh?

Well it's certainly necessary in here!

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:55:20 PM »

I am not sure why everyone is so riled up about. They didn't say anything bad about VR. They are basically saying that rock isn't a huge market right now and the biggest selling rock bands aren't new ones.

tallarico
Opening Act

Double Talkin Jive get the money mofo cause I got nomo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »

I agree, I don't think they are dissing VR. They are more or less saying that a lot people are'nt into rock music anymore. I think they are saying that people like these sugar coated pop packages more than real rock bands. But, they were being very tabloid when they used that picture and then that title. It is supposed to set you up to think they are going to rag VR and a lot of other acts today, but they didn't. Typical tabloid.......
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 06:22:58 PM »

I'm not really 'riled up' about what they said in the article, I'm more upset by the actual sales figures than anything.  It's a sad reflection on the musical tastes of today's consumer.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 06:42:04 PM »

I am not sure why everyone is so riled up about. They didn't say anything bad about VR. They are basically saying that rock isn't a huge market right now and the biggest selling rock bands aren't new ones.

I agree 100%.

There's tons of good rock out there, just gotta know where to look.

Hint: The Billboard charts aren't the place to look..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 09:53:10 PM »

Yeah, I think that was actually a really good article.  I never realized exactly how dire the situation was.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 08:24:50 AM »

I had read that last week in the paper.. The daily news really has a hard on for vr, and scott.. Bands like hoobastank have had 100 times more publicity then vr, and their album sales aren't even that much beter..

Give vr that type of constant publicity and see what happens..

Daily news called vr a hair band anyways months back.. hihi
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 05:31:55 PM »

That article is depressing. I didn't realize rock was hurting that much.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 12:59:52 PM »

Rock's in decline? Shit - i'm converting to rap, that's were the real talent lies hihi

Fuck the sales figures, there is about 40 years worth of amazing music out there to get, so what if its not being added to? - It will take three lifetimes just to hear the stuff that already exists.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: