Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Copyright?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Copyright?  (Read 4507 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« on: February 01, 2005, 06:29:08 PM »

Does anyone know if the words 'Chinese Democracy' has been copyrighted by Axl? Is it even possible to own the rights to such a general term as that? I am writing a novel and although it has nothing to do with 'China' or 'Democracy' i'm thinking of changing the name of my book to 'Chinese Democracy'. Its too cool of a title to just sit around and never be used.

SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:40:46 PM »

It's been used.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520059336/qid=1107301177/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4785115-2361539?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:51:35 PM »

If its been used already then I assume Axl has no legal ownership of those words. So whether Axl releases it or not, expect something in stores with chinese democracy. Whether its my book,someone else's book, or an album from another band, someone is going to use it!! The term has several different meanings: actual chinese democracy, something that doesnt exist, or it can be taken as a life that never was. Once again I'll say it, its a very cool title that WILL be used..now whether Axl will use it before someone else comes along and steals the thunder surrounding that name, remains to be seen. And if someone else uses the title and it becomes popular, it will send Axl into a frenzy and will probably make him change name of CD and possibly delay it a few more years.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 07:22:32 PM »

Well, he did send a cease and desist to the Offspring..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 07:57:53 PM »

Axl just threatened to sue Offspring over using the title. Alot of people believe the Offspring had no intention of using the title, they were just screwing around with Axl. It was basically a joke by the Offspring.

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »

I bet your book will have a lot of pictures in it.
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 01:12:18 AM »

Well, he did send a cease and desist to the Offspring..

hmmm.....

Source?
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 01:13:57 AM »

Axl just threatened to sue Offspring over using the title. Alot of people believe the Offspring had no intention of using the title, they were just screwing around with Axl. It was basically a joke by the Offspring.

Axl threatened to sue Offspring?
Where did you read that bullshit?
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 01:50:42 AM »

The Offspring album was going to be called : "Chinese Democracy - You Snooze, You Lose"  hihi
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 02:00:34 AM »

The Offspring album was going to be called : "Chinese Democracy - You Snooze, You Lose"? hihi

Yeah I remeber that.  It was in 2003 I think!
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 07:04:38 AM »

I bet your book will have a lot of pictures in it.

LOL..... rofl    rofl
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 08:25:53 AM »

Axl threatened to sue Offspring?
Where did you read that bullshit?

stop talking out of your ass.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=10977

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 09:22:15 AM »

I just took a look on the US Copyright site online and did a combined search for any records with "Chinese Democracy".  Two hits came back, but they're titles of books from writers I've never heard of.

Given there's no tangible 'product' out (the actual GNR "Chinese Democracy" release), then Axl & Co. cannot copyright it, title or anything about it.

I also looked on the US Trademark site, no trademark filing of "CD" either.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 09:29:50 AM »

Yeah.

And Offspring also said in a Kerrang interview that they never heard from Axl's lawyers, so all that shit about Axl wanting to sue them over the title was lies.
gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 10:27:18 AM »

Book titles cannot be copyrighted.  Although, they can be trademarked.
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »

hasn't some band released an album called 'Use Your Illuision III' ??

i think if any group was to release a CD called 'Chinese Democracy' that isn't Guns N' Roses would cause a bit of a backlash - especaily around Europe - we're funny like that!!

imagine if Velvet Revolvers second album was called 'Chinese Democracy' talk about the ultimate piss-off!!  Shocked

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
TheGun
Headliner

A splinter in your mind.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 02:29:27 PM »

As chindem said, it is not about copyright in this case. Copyright is used for the actual words to a song or words of a book.... Not a brand or image type thing if you will. In this case it is a trademark thing - so that basically you trademark the term Chinese Democracy and then no else can put out something that can be reasonable confused with it by the product name. So you could put out a book called chinese democracy or a magazine or something but you couldnt sell a product that would cause confusion with the registered trademark product.

So assuming it is a registered trademark then it is covered. otherwise most of that is just a bluff to make the lawyer fees to fight it not worth it.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 03:21:57 PM »

As chindem said, it is not about copyright in this case. Copyright is used for the actual words to a song or words of a book.... Not a brand or image type thing if you will. In this case it is a trademark thing - so that basically you trademark the term Chinese Democracy and then no else can put out something that can be reasonable confused with it by the product name. So you could put out a book called chinese democracy or a magazine or something but you couldnt sell a product that would cause confusion with the registered trademark product.

So assuming it is a registered trademark then it is covered. otherwise most of that is just a bluff to make the lawyer fees to fight it not worth it.

that makes a lot of sense.  thank you for that explanation.
i beleive this law is in place to protect consumers.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »

Thanks for the info guys! Expect chinese democracy in a store near you in a year or two..in novel form! LOL!!

shaun
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 03:37:47 PM »

I thought the Off Spring were going to use the words 'CHINESE DEMOCRAZY' - thus having a snide dig at GN'R demo'ing all their new material (thus being able to jump the web for feed back Wink
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: