Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 01:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Thoughts on THE BLUES and ROBIN FINCK on guitar
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on THE BLUES and ROBIN FINCK on guitar  (Read 5575 times)
conny
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:20:20 PM »

I can't say how much this song grow on me since I first heard it back in 2001.

I was listening to some bootlegs from the 2002 tour recently, and especially the version from Pittsburgh caught my attention. Did you notice that little flute / whistle thingy towards the end? It plays the melody, like a guitar, but very soft in the background and it really adds to the song. Fucking unreal!!! How one can come up with such lovely details in a LIVE PERFORMANCE is beyond me!? Shocked

The lyrics are out of this world, so mature, focussed and full of emotion, especially the last verse from "What this means to me..." on is some of the best shit ever written. That verse alone blows any other GN'R lyric out of the water. It works on so many different levels, depending how you read/listen to it, I don't know if that was intended, but it's so fucking great! There hasn't been a song I can relate to so much, and that does so much for me since I don't know when.

And to all the people bashing Finck and say he can't play guitar listen to that song, and wait until you hear what this guy been doing in the studio. Maybe he wasn't at his best on the past tour, but we haven't heard anything from that guy ever since. No solo projects, no side projects, nothing. I believe that he's got a lot more to offer than what we've heard so far, especially when it comes to songwriting and that emotional factor.

Shredding is one thing, but writing a song is another. And what remains at the end of the day? The sience fiction solo, or a solid song?

Maybe it's no coincidence that he and Axl are the most silent members in the band, maybe they can connect on a songwriting level? Maybe they've locked themselves up in the studio and wrote some real good shit together?

I think we're gonna see a lot of this guy. Stop the bashing, show some faith and support him.? ok

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 01:27:57 PM by conny » Logged
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 01:30:50 PM »

yeah the blues is really good,? ?Smiley

maybe finc is a sort of player that wants everything absolutley perfect and emotional too?
the solo has a nice build up and a lil' melancoly sweet and distant sad? and then lil heavy and bluesy sound 2 me,
like it a lot

i like the way this song has grown and the extra stuff thats there, veru good
btw check the audio on this, very easy to hear details? ok

http://gunsnroses.us/video/boston02/GUNSNROSES.US%20GNR%20The%20Blues%20Boston02%203Cam%20Live.mpg right click it or go to http://www.gunsnroses.us/media.html
enjoy? beer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 01:46:36 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 01:44:21 PM »

I agree, I really like his guitar playing. I'm trying to learn his solo in The Blues but he plays so weird, it's like he's always holding a note for an extra time - more than what everyone usually would - and then, suddenly, he goes very quickly. I dunno, it sounds so emotional to me. He's really not that technical guy, but he knows how to put a good solo! His work on Ghosts Of Mars OST with Buckethead (the Love Siege song, the only one I heard) is really good too. You can download this song here:

http://rapidshare.de/files-en/458158/buckethead___robin_finck-_love_siege.mp3.html
(you should left click and then wait 35 sec to be able to download with the right click and "Save As").

Don't forget the awesome Fortus duet with Axl at the blues ending. The Pittsburgh one sounds perfect to me. His rhythm guitar is really great too - altough it's very hard to hear on the mix.  Undecided

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »

can you please post a direct download for that ghost of mars track?...thanks

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 02:01:06 PM »

can you please post a direct download for that ghost of mars track?...thanks
It wouldn't work. I'll upload it again in another filesharing site for you...

Edited: Here you are (right click and save as):
http://d14.yousendit.com/E/27FGPIJ74JR6P0ABDXQ052Q312/renamed_buckethead++robin+finck-+love+siege.mp3

If it doesn't work, try this link: http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=27FGPIJ74JR6P0ABDXQ052Q312  ok
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 02:11:30 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 02:23:04 PM »

I love that song but Robin's solo is not the best it could be. At least live, he doesn't play it very well...he sounds way too high. I'm not a fan of his guitar tonality..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 02:32:18 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Tucka
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 03:30:18 PM »

i reckon that the guitar parts that brian may has recorded for CD will be on the blues. u can imagine him playin on dat
Lilljon
Headliner

Jun 26

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »

I really like that song. And Robin plays it really nice.

Gibson 4-ever.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 04:10:27 PM »

I can't explain how great Robin is. Listen to his 'The Blues' solo in the Tacoma version: the man doesn't hit a single bad note. He does that solo right there as perfect as can be. I truly believe this guy will become a superstar when this band gets big. He's immensly creative and plays so soulfully. The "flutes" you are referring to are Mr. Pittman on the keyboards (who, by the way, is *not* the janitor)...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
shaun
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 04:24:31 PM »

I think The Blues is possibly one of the best tracks ever performed by GN'R, i really like the section during  ROCKIN N RIO III then the guitar is going Axl's standing on top of  the paino, the singing stops, the paino plays then the song starts up some more   beer
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 04:27:46 PM »

This Love Seige song kicks ass...thanks for posting...sounds like a dark gnr song

are there anymore song robin and bucket played together on that soundtrack?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 04:32:20 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 04:32:05 PM »

I can't explain how great Robin is. Listen to his 'The Blues' solo in the Tacoma version: the man doesn't hit a single bad note. He does that solo right there as perfect as can be. I truly believe this guy will become a superstar when this band gets big. He's immensly creative and plays so soulfully. The "flutes" you are referring to are Mr. Pittman on the keyboards (who, by the way, is *not* the janitor)...
- I don't think so. However Fortus will. Definitely.

yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 07:10:54 PM »

I love that song but Robin's solo is not the best it could be. At least live, he doesn't play it very well...he sounds way too high. I'm not a fan of his guitar tonality..

So, how does he has to play that solo live? It's his solo, so he can play it the way he wants. Maybe if you have the studio recording then you can say that.

- I don't think so. However Fortus will. Definitely.

Well it's your opinion. I have more hope on Robin than Fortus.  peace
anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »

You need your ears checked out.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 07:27:13 PM »

isn't finc a birdtype?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 07:32:25 PM »

Finck should use a Gibson ES335 instead of a lespaul standard for that song. He will sound way better, especially in these very high notes during the solo. The sound will be less "dry" for that song.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 07:49:09 PM by nesquick » Logged

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 12:30:51 AM »

First off...? I always take the opportunity where presented to insert some Robin love...
 love Robin? love

I can't explain how great Robin is. Listen to his 'The Blues' solo in the Tacoma version: the man doesn't hit a single bad note. He does that solo right there as perfect as can be. I truly believe this guy will become a superstar when this band gets big. He's immensly creative and plays so soulfully.
I agree its a great song and performed awesomely by the whole band including the solo by? love Robin? love? Soulfully - yes.. Robin has an awsome 'aura'... and he plays with beautiful feeling and emotion.

Is there a Tacoma mp3 of The Blues up on the net somewhere, please.? I'd like to hear it.? (I lost all my mp3's about a year ago Sad and don't have it on CDR.)

The "flutes" you are referring to are Mr. Pittman on the keyboards (who, by the way, is *not* the janitor)...

as you can tell from my (new) sig...? ok

estranged.1098
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 01:30:40 AM »

You don't like Buckethead, you don't like Brain, you don't like Robin... what the fuck do you like (other than Fortus)?
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 04:25:50 AM »

You need your ears checked out.

anarchy  ok

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 06:09:32 AM »

You don't like Buckethead, you don't like Brain, you don't like Robin... what the fuck do you like (other than Fortus)?
I like Rock n' Roll. I like all the rest of the band. I just like when a band is human. It's not my cup of tea when I see some people looking like cold machines in a band, showing any feeling and dressing like robots. It just doesn't make it. I need to feel the human chemistry into a band. Hoppefully now BH is gone, I hope the band is tigher now. It's not a musical repproach, but a human one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 06:17:28 AM by nesquick » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: