Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:31:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228553 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash On Leaving GNR
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash On Leaving GNR  (Read 12624 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« on: January 14, 2005, 06:00:29 PM »

ContactMusic.com is reporting that guitarist Slash credits his humble approach to GUNS N' ROSES' phenomenal success with maintaining his "cool" image.

The guitarist refused to let his former group's adoring fans turn him into the egotistical star frontman Axl Rose ultimately became.

And Slash is convinced his decision to leave the group when he did has enabled him to enjoy renewed popularity in VELVET REVOLVER, while Rose ? the only remaining original GUNS N' ROSES member ? remains a recluse in Los Angeles.

He says, "When you're playing in front of that many people you really appreciate where you came from. Maybe for Axl it became that because he was fronting the band and he was the one responsible for a lot of negative energy from the audience, but I was just happy to be up there playing.

"That's one of the things that made it easy for me to leave the band when I did... because I had some small bit of cool left and I didn't wanna go down with the sinking ship."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 07:58:18 PM »

Slash craves the spot light and NEEDS attention to feel cool, while Axl could just disappear for ever and axl would be fine with that. I love how slash still cant take accountabiity for taking a part in the break up of the band, he is still putting it all on Axl.  I am sorry but a 40 year old guy still writing songs about sex and drugs is not cool. That is why contraband is so lame. Slashs music never progressed like it should have.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:12:30 PM »

Well.....regardless of whether you think Contraband blows Slash has been able to spin the break-up publicly that has made himeself come as a sympathetic victim. He is also still viewed as being ultra-cool by the general public. I would say he probably doesn't care if his music has "progressed" or not as he is still a highly sought after musician for others to play with and is currently playing lead guitar for a platinum selling band. People LOVE Slash....he gets huge cheers where ever he goes. There are plenty worse things he could be doing with his life.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 03:09:26 PM »

Slash craves the spot light and NEEDS attention to feel cool, while Axl could just disappear for ever and axl would be fine with that. I love how slash still cant take accountabiity for taking a part in the break up of the band, he is still putting it all on Axl.? I am sorry but a 40 year old guy still writing songs about sex and drugs is not cool. That is why contraband is so lame. Slashs music never progressed like it should have.

I think you are the one that NEEDs attention to feel cool little man. 

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 03:18:58 PM »

? I am sorry but a 40 year old guy still writing songs about sex and drugs is not cool. That is why contraband is so lame. Slashs music never progressed like it should have.

Slash isn't writing the lyrics. Scott is writing the lyrics.... He is writing lyrics about drugs because they are a huge part of his life. Who the fuck are you to say it's not cool?Huh They are also not "Party On" songs, they are songs about the demons and dark side of drugs... Also, if you think sex isn't cool, then you are more fucked up than I thought.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:43:20 PM »

Well.....regardless of whether you think Contraband blows Slash has been able to spin the break-up publicly that has made himeself come as a sympathetic victim. He is also still viewed as being ultra-cool by the general public. I would say he probably doesn't care if his music has "progressed" or not as he is still a highly sought after musician for others to play with and is currently playing lead guitar for a platinum selling band. People LOVE Slash....he gets huge cheers where ever he goes. There are plenty worse things he could be doing with his life.
I would basically agree. After the success of GNR Slash has realized he doesnt have to have that ultra drive anymore ebcause he has already "made it" and is percieved as a cool individual. Slash isnt as serious as Axl is in terms of music. And imo that is what broke up gnr. the differences of philosophies

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 09:25:58 PM »

Slash isnt as serious as Axl is in terms of music. And imo that is what broke up gnr. the differences of philosophies

And just look which one has released three albums of material since GNR broke up.  Now compare that to one shitty movie soundtrack single ... serious about music indeed.  More like obsessive and anal about music.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:28:07 PM by echrisl » Logged

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 10:07:01 PM »

Slash isnt as serious as Axl is in terms of music. And imo that is what broke up gnr. the differences of philosophies

I wouldn't confuse your perception of Slash's seriousness about music with his loss of faith in Axl's musical vision and direction.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 01:33:49 AM »

I would basically agree. After the success of GNR Slash has realized he doesnt have to have that ultra drive anymore

What drive are you talking about?  The drive to create, record and perform the music he wants to make? The drive to put albums together and tour relentlessly all over the world?

...Or the "drive" to simply follow Axl into making music he didnt want to make?

Roll Eyes

Youd really like to believe that.  But in addition to Falcons valid point, lets see what Zakk Wylde has to say.  After all, hes cited by die-hard Axl fans as a reliable source on Axl:

ZAKK WYLDE: "Axl called me up and said, "Hey, you want to get together and do some jamming?" I'd say "Dude, did you come up with any lyrics yet?" And he's just like, "Dude, I got people suing me right now." He's on the phone with his lawyers 24-7. He was, like, "I can't come up with any lyrics right now-they'd be about every other lawsuit I got going."

So maybe Slashs "seriousness" with music wasnt the problem...
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 03:39:47 AM »

? I am sorry but a 40 year old guy still writing songs about sex and drugs is not cool. That is why contraband is so lame. Slashs music never progressed like it should have.

Heres one of the 6 songs since 1991 Axl has wrote.

*Silkworms*

Listen motherfuckers to this song that should be heard
Thrown down in the gutter, it's more than you deserve
Kneeling fucking virgin, you know that's what you are
Pussy for a maggot, isn't that a shock

What can I do? With a bitch like you
You know that it's true
All I have I ask of you
I'll be dammed
If it's not true
A bitch like you

It sure isnt cool when 40 year old guys sing about drugs and sex. hihi Listening to the boot i got, i think the lyrics are even dirtier. Someone must have cleaned them up a bit, there not official.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 10:31:47 AM »

And just look which one has released three albums of material since GNR broke up.? Now compare that to one shitty movie soundtrack single ... serious about music indeed.? More like obsessive and anal about music.
What drive are you talking about?? The drive to create, record and perform the music he wants to make? The drive to put albums together and tour relentlessly all over the world?
You cant compare the desire of Axl and his wanting to create something meaningful{whether it turns out great or not} to Slash's goals when making albums. WHat does Slash always say about making  his album?"I just wanna rock out and jam" stuff to that effect. Whereas we know Axl wants to make somehting bigger than life etc. Im not sayin SLash is wrong or Axl is right. Its just the fact of how each view thier job.....

This has nothing do with who was correct in their musical philosophy. I said it was about how each views the work they take on.

Youd really like to believe that.? But in addition to Falcons valid point, lets see what Zakk Wylde has to say.? After all, hes cited by die-hard Axl fans as a reliable source on Axl:

ZAKK WYLDE: "Axl called me up and said, "Hey, you want to get together and do some jamming?" I'd say "Dude, did you come up with any lyrics yet?" And he's just like, "Dude, I got people suing me right now." He's on the phone with his lawyers 24-7. He was, like, "I can't come up with any lyrics right now-they'd be about every other lawsuit I got going."

How come you didnt put the year in which that was stated? During that time period its well known Axl didnt write much. I would say from the break up until about 2000/2001 Axl was just trying to build up GNR. From the band to the behind the scenes stuff. If the original lineup stayed together and were on the same page you cant automatically say this would have happened.

Im not saying Slash is wrong and Axl is right. They both have different views on music and thier image to the world. But you cant dispute the fact that Axl is much more wrapped up in making meanigful music than SLash is. Slash admits to wanting to just get out there, just jam, lets rock....and im not saying thats wrong. But its a different way of going about things than of Axl.....

Heres one of the 6 songs since 1991 Axl has wrote
"This song was put together by Mr Dizzy Reed and Mr Chris Pittman....This is called Silk WOrms"

mighty rockin song aint it

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 10:43:13 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 02:12:35 PM »

*Silkworms*

You know that it's true
All I have I ask of you
I'll be dammed
If it's not true
A bitch like you

It sure isnt cool when 40 year old guys sing about drugs and sex. hihi Listening to the boot i got, i think the lyrics are even dirtier. Someone must have cleaned them up a bit, there not official.

Dizzy and Chris Pittman wrote silkworms FYI.  Rember what Axl said at Rio. Here is a song put together by Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed. 

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »

I would basically agree. After the success of GNR Slash has realized he doesnt have to have that ultra drive anymore

What drive are you talking about?? The drive to create, record and perform the music he wants to make? The drive to put albums together and tour relentlessly all over the world?

Roll Eyes

Youd really like to believe that.? But in addition to Falcons valid point, lets see what Zakk Wylde has to say.? After all, hes cited by die-hard Axl fans as a reliable source on Axl:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=71

That was back in 1996 or 1997 when he called up Zack and Axl didnt not have any lyrics. At least give a date instead of trying to take things out of context.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 03:11:49 PM »

*Silkworms*

You know that it's true
All I have I ask of you
I'll be dammed
If it's not true
A bitch like you

Dizzy and Chris Pittman wrote silkworms FYI.? Rember what Axl said at Rio. Here is a song put together by Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed.?

Dizzy and Chris wrote it musically. I'm sure that Axl wrote the lyrics. 'I'm alone lyrically', as he said. And SW is a really Axl-type 'fuck you' song.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 03:32:37 PM »

That was back in 1996 or 1997 when he called up Zack and Axl didnt not have any lyrics.

hihi

Thanks for proving the point...

WHat does Slash always say about making? his album?"

So Slash always has the same philosophy toward an album, yet hes lost his drive?? You still havent explained what drive Slash has lost...

I just wanna rock out and jam"

"Axl called me up and said, "Hey, you want to get together and do some jamming?"

Roll Eyes

Im not saying Slash is wrong and Axl is right. They both have different views on music and thier image to the world. But you cant dispute the fact that Axl is much more wrapped up in making meanigful music than SLash is.

Meaningful is relative, and the notion that Slash left because he didnt want to make music that Axl found meaningful is one that youve created, not one that exists in reality.? Because I cant recall Slash ever citing that as a reason for leaving.? I can, however, recally Slash citing Axls electronic/industrial/alternative infatuation as an issue.? And thats just one of many.? So saying "Axl was serious about making music, and Slash just wanted to jam," as you have a thousand times, is complete bullshit.

"This song was put together by Mr Dizzy Reed and Mr Chris Pittman....This is called Silk WOrms"

1) That doesnt mean that Axl didnt write the lyrics.? Axls referred to "Coma" as Slashs song...Care to give Slash credit for those lyrics?

2) Its still a Guns N' Roses song, no matter who wrote it.

3) Axl still sings the lyrics.

mighty rockin song aint it

To a handful of die-hards, Im sure it is... yes

Slash isn't writing the lyrics.

But how typically hypocritical of Dave to criticize Slash for "writing songs about sex and drugs," and then turn around and vindicate Axl by insisting he didnt write the lyrics (or the song, for that matter).

They are also not "Party On" songs, they are songs about the demons and dark side of drugs...

Yup...but apparently Daves lyrical comprehension is limited.  If he wasnt so hypocritical, hed listen to "Chinese Democracy" and complain about how lame it is for a 43 year-old guy to write about masturbation.

Or hed just pass the blame to Josh Freese.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 03:49:22 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »

Booker, first off no one knows if Axl wrote the lyrics to silkworms or not. He said the song was put together by Chris and dizzy.? Also, how is Silkworms even a song about sex?? It?s not about getting high, drunk or laid, now is it? So either way you are still wrong.? As for the masturbation comment, I am sorry you are not smart enough to understand the metaphor. Hopefully you know what a metaphor is.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 03:56:22 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 03:59:33 PM »

So Slash always has the same philosophy toward an album, yet hes lost his drive? ?You still havent explained what drive Slash has lost...
I havnt heard anything from him that compares to his previous guitar work with gnr. So hes either lost a step or 2 since his gnr days or hes content with what hes doing. Hence not as serious as Axl. And again THAT DOESNT MEAN aXL IS RIGHT. Just 2 differetn ways of doing music.

"Axl called me up and said, "Hey, you want to get together and do some jamming?"
Axl wants to jam to fuck around and see how it goes in a band setting...Slash jams to make an album. Dont be a dick you get my point. Slash is the muscian who doesnt care about making an important record. Hes more of lets get out on the road type guy...

and the notion that Slash left because he didnt want to make music that Axl found meaningful is one that youve created, not one that exists in reality.
Why are you making this a gnr breakup thing? And where did I say he left because he didnt want to make Axls meaningful music? They both have different musical philosophies and agendas. They both have thier different goals and ideas. Unfortunately they werent on the same page. Who was right and who was wrong is for another topic not this one.

1) That doesnt mean that Axl didnt write the lyrics. ?Axls referred to "Coma" as Slashs song...Care to give Slash credit for those lyrics?

2) Its still a Guns N' Roses song, no matter who wrote it.

3) Axl still sings the lyrics.
Yes and so were other old time gnr songs....you are all ready to praise Izzy and say how he is the lyrical gem behing gnr and are ready to discount Axl...but when it concerns a song liek silkworms u say o Axls singing it hes allowing it....but wait I thought you wanted the whole band type thing? What happened to allowing other membbers in a band contributing. Isnt that what a lot of peopel around here keep posting baout. Whther you like the song or not, the song was basically made by Dizzy and Chris. Im sure Axl had his hands in it but I dont know to what extent. We will have to wait till the credits. But until them Axl credits Pittman and Reed....

And yes its still a gnr song just like My World ok
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 04:10:14 PM by younggunner » Logged

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 04:13:37 PM »

As for the masturbation comment, I am sorry you are not smart enough to understand the metaphor. Hopefully you know what a metaphor is.

And what a beatiful metaphor! Man, it's fuckin' poetry! Just like Silkworms' 'Pussy full of maggots'!  Lips Sealed

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 04:58:03 PM »

I havnt heard anything from him that compares to his previous guitar work with gnr. So hes either lost a step or 2 since his gnr days or hes content with what hes doing. Hence not as serious as Axl. And again THAT DOESNT MEAN aXL IS RIGHT. Just 2 differetn ways of doing music.

You still havent explained what drive he has lost...

Slash jams to make an album.

What does this mean?  Slashs approach to making songs, or albums, hasnt really changed in 20 years.  Youre speaking in incredibly muddled terms.  How does Slash "jam" on albums when theres in fact no "jamming" on the album.  Everything is structured and concise. 

Dont be a dick you get my point.

No, I dont.

Slash is the muscian who doesnt care about making an important record.

Okay...again, he been that way for 20 years.  He was that way when he made Appetite For Destruction...a pretty important record.

Why are you making this a gnr breakup thing?

Huh

Slash isnt as serious as Axl is in terms of music. And imo that is what broke up gnr

you are all ready to praise Izzy and say how he is the lyrical gem behing gnr and are ready to discount Axl...

Youre making stuff up again.  You cant find one instance when Ive done this...but please, dont allow me to stop you from making things up.

As for the masturbation comment, I am sorry you are not smart enough to understand the metaphor. Hopefully you know what a metaphor is

Man, you always miss the point.

By the way, can you explain the "masturbation" meptaphor?
realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »

Slash craves the spot light and NEEDS attention to feel cool, while Axl could just disappear for ever and axl would be fine with that. I love how slash still cant take accountabiity for taking a part in the break up of the band, he is still putting it all on Axl.? I am sorry but a 40 year old guy still writing songs about sex and drugs is not cool. That is why contraband is so lame. Slashs music never progressed like it should have.
Hey Dave,keep listen to an album that doesn't exist and keep buyin' tickets for shows that will never happen. We 're cool here listen to a super kickass album and live shows that it's for real. beer  Salud!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: