Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 07:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  War of the Worlds( Remake of a 1953 classic)
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: War of the Worlds( Remake of a 1953 classic)  (Read 8874 times)
GnRNightrain
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 08:30:42 PM »

You beat me to it:

http://www.transparencynow.com/welles.htm

And it's Orson Wells, I knew I spelt it rong.

Orson Welles wrote the radio script which was based on the H.G. Wells novel.

It helps to actually read a thread before trying to one-up someone just for the sake of doing so; i.e. Gunner80 already cleared this up. Besides, once they realized there were two homonymous characters involved in this story, I'm sure they found the appropriate information in their Google searches. Agreed?
Oh MCT, I read the thread.? I thought of making a reference to Gunner80's correction, however, I realized SLC Punk was not referring to the book by H.G. Wells, but was referring to the radio cast.? Thus, my correction was not over a mistake as to the author of the book, but as to the spelling of Well(e)s.? So actually what I was correcting and what Gunner80 was correcting were two different things.? I found it funny that SLCPunk made a mistake in spelling Orson Welles while he was correcting his mistake of misspelling Orson Welles.? It was not meant as a "one-up", but only as a joke and to correct the mistake.? ?Tongue

Unlike yourself, I don't find it necessary to try to one-up people on this board in regards to grammar and writing, nor do I try to one-up or make fun of people in other ways.? For me to? to try to one-up SLCPunk on his spelling would be a waste of time considering he spends about as much time checking his grammar, diction, and spelling as I do.? Furthermore, it would be hypocritical considering I usually have a fair share of spelling and grammar mistakes in my own posts.? If you want to talk about "one-upping" then look in the mirror.? I would have thought you would try to read things more carefully considering you recently were shredded by Dizzy in another thread for trying to "one-up".? But, go ahead if you wish, keep trying to "one-up" me.? I'll let you know though, you jumped the gun on this one.? It was meant as a joke, and one that you should have been able to pick up on considering, along with "one-uping" people, thats about all I ever see you do on this board.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 08:43:55 PM by GnRNightrain » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 09:49:53 PM »

This movie was one kick ass entertaining piece of work. definitely worth the 5.50.

I cant wait to hear some plot holes people come up with and yeah the ending was a little cheesy but for pure entertainment value, this movie whipped ass and didnt disappoint. gave me chills a few times.

Didnt understand the entire ending, so after people watch it we will discuss and debate it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
MCT
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »

Beaton R. Oundabush says:

You're a pooh-pooh head...

Oh MCT, I read the thread.  I thought of making a reference to Gunner80's correction, however, I realized SLC Punk was not referring to the book by H.G. Wells, but was referring to the radio cast.  Thus, my correction was not over a mistake as to the author of the book, but as to the spelling of Well(e)s.  So actually what I was correcting and what Gunner80 was correcting were two different things.  I found it funny that SLCPunk made a mistake in spelling Orson Welles while he was correcting his mistake of misspelling Orson Welles.  It was not meant as a "one-up", but only as a joke and to correct the mistake.   Tongue

Unlike yourself, I don't find it necessary to try to one-up people on this board in regards to grammar and writing, nor do I try to one-up or make fun of people in other ways.  For me to  to try to one-up SLCPunk on his spelling would be a waste of time considering he spends about as much time checking his grammar, diction, and spelling as I do.  Furthermore, it would be hypocritical considering I usually have a fair share of spelling and grammar mistakes in my own posts.  If you want to talk about "one-upping" then look in the mirror.  I would have thought you would try to read things more carefully considering you recently were shredded by Dizzy in another thread for trying to "one-up".  But, go ahead if you wish, keep trying to "one-up" me.  I'll let you know though, you jumped the gun on this one.  It was meant as a joke, and one that you should have been able to pick up on considering, along with "one-uping" people, thats about all I ever see you do on this board.

Being undeniably incapable of dealing with and in the fine print pertaining to the contractual obligations (see - metaphorical allusion) of everyday interaction with those who can, in fact, deal with and in said fine print, you should, by virtue of common sense, be given nothing more than a nod, a smile, and a wide berth. Something that I'll try to remember in the future, no matter how much I'd like to strangle you. But for now just bear with me as I want to go over a few things:

Oh MCT, I read the thread.  I thought of making a reference to Gunner80's correction, however, I realized SLC Punk was not referring to the book by H.G. Wells, but was referring to the radio cast.  Thus, my correction was not over a mistake as to the author of the book, but as to the spelling of Well(e)s.  So actually what I was correcting and what Gunner80 was correcting were two different things.  I found it funny that SLCPunk made a mistake in spelling Orson Welles while he was correcting his mistake of misspelling Orson Welles.  It was not meant as a "one-up", but only as a joke and to correct the mistake.

You got to be mental. Got to be!

Anyone who would construct such a fallacious backpedal of a story and present it with a strait face can't have a friggin' clue. Not a clue!

Granted I do believe the following:

I found it funny that SLCPunk made a mistake in spelling Orson Welles while he was correcting his mistake of misspelling Orson Welles.

I found it funny myself. But this:

It was not meant as a "one-up", but only as a joke and to correct the mistake.

This...smokescreen...or whatever you want to call it, is one big load of creme de la creme BULLSHIT. You know, flapdoodle? How's that for a literary one-up?

But no, you were trying to outdo Jason. I'd bet my dick on it, my DICK...you ostensibly stilted fiend!

I could (and perhaps, should) say more, but I've covered what needed to be covered, and your reading comprehension level shouldn't be my concern.

Now,

Unlike yourself, I don't find it necessary to try to one-up people on this board in regards to grammar and writing

stOOpid

nor do I try to one-up or make fun of people in other ways.

stOOpid

For me to  to try to one-up SLCPunk on his spelling would be a waste of time considering he spends about as much time checking his grammar, diction, and spelling as I do.

stOOpid

Furthermore, it would be hypocritical considering I usually have a fair share of spelling and grammar mistakes in my own posts.

stOOpid

If you want to talk about "one-upping" then look in the mirror.

stOOpid

everybody does it...everybody does it...everybody does it...everybody does it...EVERYBODY DOES IT!!!

STOOPIDSTOOPIDSTOOPID!!!

I would have thought you would try to read things more carefully considering you recently were shredded by Dizzy in another thread for trying to "one-up". 

To the best of my knowledge I've never been objectively shredded. However, subjective interpretations of gaining ground, effective riposting and other such argumentative one-ups differ from individual to individual, obviously. And surely to some degree I've been objectively hit with some decent verbiage that was difficult to deflect. I'll admit that. I mean I'm good, but I'm not a machine. But I plead the human condition and hence, imperfection, anyway. So...?

"So?"

"So I'm smarter than you."

Anyway, about Dizzy. What in the lord jumpin' jeezus are you gettin' on wit, my son? Dizzy?!? Recently shredded by Dizzy?!?

Man, he hasn't been on the board in ages. AGES!

So what the fuck are you talking about?

But, go ahead if you wish, keep trying to "one-up" me.

stOOpid

I'll let you know though, you jumped the gun on this one.

stOOpid

It was meant as a joke, and one that you should have been able to pick up on considering, along with "one-uping" people, thats about all I ever see you do on this board.

stOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOpid

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 02:46:45 PM »

I cant wait to hear some plot holes people come up with and yeah the ending was a little cheesy but for pure entertainment value, this movie whipped ass and didnt disappoint. gave me chills a few times.

if there are plot holes then it certainly isnt by way of HG Wells book...shoot the scriptwriter

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
GnRNightrain
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 03:31:43 PM »

"So?"

Looks like we have returned to where we were about four weeks ago: you taking a shot at me, and then telling me that you are smarter than me.  Well, OK.  If it makes you feel good to say that then go ahead.  I do not care to prove myself to a 20 year old Canadian on a GNR message board.  Thus, I will just let you sit there naively thinking that you are better and smarter than everyone else.  Perhaps it will give you the necessary confidence to take the next step in life. 
MCT
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 04:50:06 PM »

"So?"

Looks like we have returned to where we were about four weeks ago: you taking a shot at me, and then telling me that you are smarter than me.? Well, OK.? If it makes you feel good to say that then go ahead.? I do not care to prove myself to a 20 year old Canadian on a GNR message board.? Thus, I will just let you sit there naively thinking that you are better and smarter than everyone else.? Perhaps it will give you the necessary confidence to take the next step in life.?

Shocked

What kind of naive, delusional, half-witted nincompoop are you?!?

Tell us a story now about how sliced cheese can stick to an elephants arse on a sunny day!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, MAN! Angry!

I swear to dog that you are hands down THE most unfledged example of a complete buffoon masquerading as a high & mighty sophist that I have ever come across in my 22 years on this planet!

You are as useless as the tits on a bull!!!
GnRNightrain
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 05:37:12 PM »

"So?"

Looks like we have returned to where we were about four weeks ago: you taking a shot at me, and then telling me that you are smarter than me.? Well, OK.? If it makes you feel good to say that then go ahead.? I do not care to prove myself to a 20 year old Canadian on a GNR message board.? Thus, I will just let you sit there naively thinking that you are better and smarter than everyone else.? Perhaps it will give you the necessary confidence to take the next step in life.?

Shocked

What kind of naive, delusional, half-witted nincompoop are you?!?

Tell us a story now about how sliced cheese can stick to an elephants arse on a sunny day!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, MAN! Angry!

I swear to dog that you are hands down THE most unfledged example of a complete buffoon masquerading as a high & mighty sophist that I have ever come across in my 22 years on this planet!

You are as useless as the tits on a bull!!!
I am not masquerading as anything, but someone that likes to get into political discussions about different topics (an arena that you refrain from entering despite the fact that you choose to poke fun at those that do).  You on the other hand are the one that finds it so necessary to take pot shots at others, and finds it fun to speak down to people.  If you think having a different political viewpoint is "masquerading as high & mighty", then you wouldnt be the first.  However, the disputes I get into on this board are over political viewpoints, rather than me acting like an ass trying to "one-up" someone.  I dont act high and mighty, in fact, the only time I ever bring up personal information by myself would be in response to threads that ask for such info, or to counter personal attacks questioning my personal knowledge of something that I am posting on.

Your response deserves the same reply that I made to your last post.  If it makes you feel good to take shots at others on a GNR Message Board then go right ahead.  It definately doesnt make me lose any sleep to think of you reading through my posts looking to pick them apart.  Keep attacking and attacking, Im sure you have nothing better to do.  I was actually touched by your "I want more to life than a 9-5 job" post during the last fight you picked with me.  However, I would have thought that more would have included something other than spending your time being an ass on a GNR Message Board.  Then again, to each his own.  Some people like working, making money, and supporting their family; others like reading through posts on a GNR Message Board looking for ways to be an ass or "one-up" people.

Go ahead, take another shot at me.  You are only reinforcing my argument, and making yourself look like more of an ass than you already do.
MCT
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 05:44:39 PM »

You can't read, can you?

EDIT - Hello? Can you read?

EDIT#2 - Helloooo...stupid head...?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 05:52:31 PM by MCT » Logged
GnRNightrain
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 06:50:24 PM »

You can't read, can you?

hihi? What an ironic post considering this current dispute arose from you misreading my original post.
MCT
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 06:56:46 PM »

You can't read, can you?

hihi? What an ironic post considering this current dispute arose from you misreading my original post.

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST, BUDDY! YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE! NOT THE CLUE!

Can someone please tell me if I'm dreaming or something, because this is just unreal... Huh
Jagged Little Pill
Cheap Heartbreaker
VIP

You were born an original. Don't die a copy

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 10:28:03 PM »

it wasnt as good as I thought it would be..i'd give it a 5 out of 10..I just wasnt impressed.

Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 01:34:00 AM »

You can't read, can you?

Yes what is it? Why do you call my name in vein!
 Tongue
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 01:46:46 AM »

You can't read, can you?

Yes what is it? Why do you call my name in vein!
 Tongue
That's just StOOpid

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 03:27:57 AM »

god, MCT is crazy  Grin

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2005, 06:14:49 AM »

Undecided

No plot and the most annoying kids in a film ever - fair enough it does improve, but that kid is so annoying.

There is no point to this at all and the special effects are nothing we haven't seen every week for about 10 years now

I thought at the very least it was just going to be a dumb hollywood blockbuster with special effects everhwere - but Independence Day managed more death and destruction - and the pace at times dropped to a crawl.

Strange they included a mammoth section at the beginning about the lead character and his kids only to just forget about any kind of plot later on

And the cliche happy ending.

I've seen worse, but not much worse

Oh and plot holes: before the Tripods appear, all electronic equipment stops working. Still, when the first Tripod appears one guy films the whole scenery with a camcorder hihi

Found an accurate review

Just how badly Spielberg was going to screw this up. The real problem with War of the Worlds lies with a simple peanut butter sandwich. The sandwich that Tom Cruise, as blue-collar weekend dad Ray Ferrier, angrily hurls against a windowpane. From our perspective outside the house looking in, that slice of bread, buttered on one side, should either stick butter side up to the window pane, or flop straight off again. It does neither. Defying all laws, the bread sticks against the pane ? having been buttered on the other side. In a peanut shell, then, this is the problem with Worlds: it simply hasn't been thought through properly.

If a town centre cracked open in broad daylight, revealing a 500ft metal flower of death, you'd know about it a mile away. However, when Cruise and his appallingly unsympathetic kids (including the interminably shrieking girl-woman that is known as Dakota Fanning, who surely popped straight from the birth canal clutching a contract) flee to the 'burbs, it's as if the news hasn't filtered through, with by-standers milling about doing nothing much of anything.

Imagine a lightning storm ripping through Clapham, followed by an immense metal tripod, vaporising everything in its path. (No clothes, mind ? just the people inside them. Perhaps these aliens are after our laundry. Actually, there's a Woody Allen routine about that, and it makes a lot more sense.) Imagine the noise. The smell. Were you in Balham, you'd know about it. Worlds would have us believe you wouldn't lift an eyebrow. Simply, when Cruise and co aren't in immediate shot, these tripods don't appear to exist. The only reason we know they do, is because a TV crew has a video ? a VHS! ? of them eating up some buildings somewhere else. Europe, apparently, has already been mostly decimated. Well, how incredibly lucky that massive landmass called the United States merely suffered a flesh wound in Boston. Although Europe, admittedly, is the subject of the movie's one decent joke.

Worse is to come: a pinch of Cameron here, a steal of Bruckheimer there, this is one of the most derivative movies yet - albeit one with obvious stage sets and pound-shop CGI. It's as if Spielberg has sunk down under the weight of so much shoulder perching, and has been reduced to foraging for ideas in the mud. The aliens, when they finally emerge from their tripods, are duffers: neither scary, not convincing ? while their reconnaissance 'tendril' sports a couple of plastic reflectors that wouldn't look out of place on a mountain bike.

On that note, the one effort to bamboozle the uni-eyed tendril is laughable too: they place a mirror in its way. Surely something of this power and capacity isn't going to fooled by a bunch of reconstituted silica? The acting, as you'd expect, is uniformly awful ? Cruise (who specialises in playing gormless obnoxious assholes) is especially bad ? his two facial expressions wavering from "shock" to "delayed shock" at inopportune moments.

The pacing's terrible ? it just suddenly ends, bang. The aliens catch colds and die. Film over. And most surprisingly in a Spielberg flick, there's no emotional clout here ? at one point, the elder son begs his dad to let him go and see the front-line military action ? not to join them in the fighting, just to have a gawp. "If you love me, you'll let me go" he says. It's supposed to be one of the Big Emotional Highpoints, but just comes across as a surly teenager (who hitherto was not surly) throwing a tantrum because he wants a better view of the fireworks.

The final shot of Ray delivering the kids back to mum and new boyfriend (in a bizarrely peaceful and untouched street) may as well be the culmination of having successfully delivered them home from a particularly lengthy snarl-up round the one-way gyratory system.

There's not one sympathetic character in the entire film, and by the end of the movie Ray's still a a**hole. No redemption, no lessons learned ? other than aliens should carry a packet of fisherman's friends with them before they set out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 06:09:23 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »

HMMM yet another thread he ran from Wink..... i guess i should not make a habbit of tracking down the run of threads..... would be at it till the end of time

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: