Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  War of the Worlds( Remake of a 1953 classic)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: War of the Worlds( Remake of a 1953 classic)  (Read 8807 times)
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« on: January 08, 2005, 11:08:58 PM »

This is going to be a great remake! Watch the trailer here.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:49:08 AM »

If I remember correctly, (and this is way before my time) this was done on the radio first.

It made Orsen Wells (spelling?) famous for this story. It was told on the radio, but people were tuning in and thinking that we were really being invaded my martians.  :hihi:People were jumping in their cars and driving (to where I don't know-lol) to escape the "invasion". Once word got back to the radio station(s) that people were freaking , they kept interupting the show and said "This is a science fiction show...this is not really happening."

Anyways...never saw the movie.... hihi
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:16:21 AM »

If I remember correctly, (and this is way before my time) this was done on the radio first.

It made Orsen Wells (spelling?) famous for this story. It was told on the radio, but people were tuning in and thinking that we were really being invaded my martians. :hihi:People were jumping in their cars and driving (to where I don't know-lol) to escape the "invasion". Once word got back to the radio station(s) that people were freaking , they kept interupting the show and said "This is a science fiction show...this is not really happening."

It's an H.G. Well's sci-fi novel.  He also wrote The Time Machine.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:42:20 AM »

It made Orsen Wells (spelling?) famous for this story. It was told on the radio, but people were tuning in and thinking that we were really being invaded my martians.  :hihi:People were jumping in their cars and driving (to where I don't know-lol) to escape the "invasion". Once word got back to the radio station(s) that people were freaking , they kept interupting the show and said "This is a science fiction show...this is not really happening."

yea, it was just before the 2nd world war, people were on edge and the broadcast was played out in a serious tone...

the film, yea it might still be good...even though spielberg is directing it...with spielberg you can be assured that there will be lots of sentimentality, kids and a cheesy ending

at least tom cruise will give it some credibility

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 11:08:27 AM »

one of my earliest memorys is listening to the soundtrack to war of the worlds over and over again. the cover for the album was absolutly amazing (atleast to my infant mind of the time). looking forward to seeing this, although i hope the story is put to the front rather than just making it look good using modern cinematography and computers. i'm so tired of being visually blown away and emotionally underwhelmed.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 12:11:06 PM »

It made Orsen Wells (spelling?) famous for this story. It was told on the radio, but people were tuning in and thinking that we were really being invaded my martians.? :hihi:People were jumping in their cars and driving (to where I don't know-lol) to escape the "invasion". Once word got back to the radio station(s) that people were freaking , they kept interupting the show and said "This is a science fiction show...this is not really happening."

yea, it was just before the 2nd world war, people were on edge and the broadcast was played out in a serious tone...

Sounds like an urban legend to me - maybe a few were fooled but i refuse to believe anyone - at any time is stupid enough to fall for that.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 02:12:55 PM »

It made Orsen Wells (spelling?) famous for this story. It was told on the radio, but people were tuning in and thinking that we were really being invaded my martians.? :hihi:People were jumping in their cars and driving (to where I don't know-lol) to escape the "invasion". Once word got back to the radio station(s) that people were freaking , they kept interupting the show and said "This is a science fiction show...this is not really happening."

Sounds like an urban legend to me - maybe a few were fooled but i refuse to believe anyone - at any time is stupid enough to fall for that.

No, my Mom told me as a kid. Her parents listened to the broadcast, I swear it. They laughed their asses off when they found out what was happening.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 02:16:36 PM »

its actually true, i heard about it when i was a child...

http://www.btinternet.com/~jd.gosling/wotw/radio.htm

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 02:18:42 PM »

You beat me to it:

http://www.transparencynow.com/welles.htm

And it's Orson Wells, I knew I spelt it rong.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 02:14:39 AM »

Im going to watch this tomorrow at 4pm

who all is goin?

It has gotten amazing reviews!

I cant fucking wait!

WOOO MUTHA FUCKIN HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 02:21:31 AM »

Yep I'm seeing it tomorrow .

Looks like it should be really good .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 03:24:01 AM »

spielberg + tom cruise + blockbuster = thats the magical formula for CRAP

you kids better check that out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034591/? ? ? ? ? ?- 1942 Once there Was a father
by the great OZU (who did "Good Morning" !!!)

and leave war of the worlds to braiwashed 12 years old kids Smiley

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 06:32:18 AM »

its actually true, i heard about it when i was a child...

http://www.btinternet.com/~jd.gosling/wotw/radio.htm

I know it happened - but i refuse to believe more than a few retarted people where fooled

The local asylymn panicked and thus we get this story

People back then weren't stupid.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 02:07:05 PM »

no...im not saying people were stupid...im saying they were less informed, and more likely to fall for a prank like this because it was never done before...and especially since it was a long broadcast of serious tone with no indication that it was a prank...pranks like that are commonplace now...nobody gets fooled by them now because they usually expect it...

just look at the number of people in this forum who believe every rumour they hear about GNR...people act on the information available to them

(Winston Churchill)"
Jagged Little Pill
Cheap Heartbreaker
VIP

You were born an original. Don't die a copy

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 04:27:07 PM »

i'm going to see it tonight..im really excited about that, its opening night too here so it will most likely be full..I hope not though.

Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 05:45:19 PM »

i'm going to see it tonight..im really excited about that, its opening night too here so it will most likely be full..I hope not though.

please don't go. you've this kinda movies a million time. go see something refreshing. go see something new. Smiley

Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:31 PM »

since it's a Spielberg film, and there are nasty bad guys, expect appearances by some jews and references to Hitler and Nazism... hihi

(Winston Churchill)"
GnRNightrain
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 06:02:18 PM »

the film, yea it might still be good...even though spielberg is directing it...with spielberg you can be assured that there will be lots of sentimentality, kids and a cheesy ending

It seems like most movies follow the cheesy-this-movie-is-great-for-everyone approach nowadays.  Especially, Spielberg movies.  Im tired of it.  For some reason I think it is sometimes hard for these directors and producers to figure out that people dont go to a sci-fi movies to hear cheesy jokes or watch cheesy endings.  Of course, I guess they make the movie for the masses, and Im sure they know far more than I.
GnRNightrain
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »

You beat me to it:

Orson Welles wrote the radio script which was based on the H.G. Wells novel.
MCT
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 07:57:38 PM »

You beat me to it:

Orson Welles wrote the radio script which was based on the H.G. Wells novel.

It helps to actually read a thread before trying to one-up someone just for the sake of doing so; i.e. Gunner80 already cleared this up. Besides, once they realized there were two homonymous characters involved in this story, I'm sure they found the appropriate information in their Google searches. Agreed?

And speaking of Google searches, the information you need to change your contrarian opinion, Izzy, is only a Google away.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 08:05:54 PM by MCT » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: