Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:41:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Gotta Get Something Off My Chest for 2005
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gotta Get Something Off My Chest for 2005  (Read 16908 times)
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« on: January 01, 2005, 07:48:50 PM »

Fellow GNR/VR fans:
I rarely start posts, unless Im really compelled to. Lately Ive been compelled to start a post here at the VR board, because there's something not right here rant rant rant

I wonder why some GNR fans not only not like Velvet Revolver, but that they downright hate Velvet Revolver?! rant

Im a regular listener of GNR and VR and I gotta say that some of VR stands strong with the best of GNR. Songs like "STB" and "SMF" and "Big Machine" (can't say BM) and others (please read my review under Contraband Reviews) get me as hyped up as listening to GNR songs like YCBM and PC.
I don't know whether to ridicule these VR haters or just feel bad for them.  no
I mean at the same time, I love Axl Rose too and I have faith that he's putting together a great Rock Record. But that doesn't mean he's not immune to criticism when he fucks up, or when he decides to let his pride override the needs of his fans and those who sincerely care for him and his success.
I know an Axl Rose triumph and an Axl Rose failure when I see one. I also know a Duff McKagan and Slash triumph and failure when I see theirs. Without a doubt, CB was a triumph for them. They turned their lives around, they look great, they have families, but they STILL ROCK. They never lost the spirit between them, the chemistry. They are stilll great and they made a great comeback album. They got a great frontman in Scott Weiland. I even know that this album is a trimph when I can play it alongside GNR's classics and get off on both (with GNR its a bit more, but VR still holds its own). The rock fans are licking this up - this album has had great staying power on the charts, shows are selling well. Even if not the same as GNR-level success, its a much better alternative to ex-rockers who are washed up and dying of various ailments from their rock-related addictions.

For those people who are Axl obsessors and who are the most vocally antagonistic about any other GNR member including VR, and who can't see right and left, I just want to say that that stands against everything that your man stood for. Regardless of Axl misguided sentiments on his bandmembers in press releases and on tour (while Slash and Duff have never hit back as hard and have been gentlemanly about it instead), he is a man who celebrates and embodies all sorts of musical inspirations. Ive personally bought several albums based on Axl's recommendations from interviews and stuff. Even if Axl hates the CB because of personal reasons, I have a hard time believing that its because of the music, just as his diehard fans want to believe! WHY? Because these 3 musicians, SLASH, DUFF & AXL once sat in a room for 3 years WRITING SONGS, and listening to songs and picking up all the same influences and musical parts that they liked. AXL IN TURN had this band produce his greatest known music ever, and trusted them to deliver his vision of the ultimate rock band. Since VR and their CB is still based on those influences, that would make AXL ROSE a HYPOCRITE! AXL ROSE is a man who likes all kinds of music, and he'll surprise you with his taste. I owe a lot to Axl for broadening my musical horizons and introducting me to such great rock acts as ELO, TODD RUNDGREN, CHARLES MANSON, PAUL REVERE & the CRUSADERS, ELTON JOHN, QUEEN and a lot more. I would never let something personal get in the way of my taste in music. I even like musical artsist who are anti-Semitic, it doesn't matter in the end, because its about the music. Cool

VR proved in everyway that they belong, that they can still play in the shadow of GNR, which means a hell of a lot, and I don;t like seeing fans doing this to themselves and misguiding others.
So thats all that's on my mind about the subject. Happy New Years, and here's to hoping that VR and NU-GNR can make rock music matter again on the charts and with fans

beer
MNR
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 07:53:28 PM by marknroses » Logged

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
TK1
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »

I really agree with this post.  It seems there are a lot of people who want to see VR fail and even find excuses for the success the band is having.  It's almost like some can't bear the idea of them being successful without Axl and have to justify their feelings by expressing how much better Axl's new songs are.  Everybody is going to have their own opinion and I know there are people who are more supportive of VR as well.  We used to support all of these guys when they were in GN'R together; why not continue to do so?  It sucks the original band split up and most of us agree on that.  However, we can't deny it or change it, so why not support both of them?  I hope this new year brings success to Axl's lineup and continued success to VR. 
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 09:14:39 PM »

I also agree I mean I love VR and support Axl's GN'R at the same I'm sure Axl is working on a fucking great album that will see the light of day hopefully this year, and VR its nice seeing Slash, Duff and Matt doing something good and doing what they want to do with or without Axl but still I support both these bands rock on VR & GN'R

EEEERRRR Little boy
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 11:12:28 PM »

Fanatism sucks when u take it to the extreme!  I agree with the post  beer
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 06:44:53 AM »

good post  yes
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 04:50:12 PM »

GREAT POST...i love the new VR Album....its rocks.... beer

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 05:43:56 PM »

Fellow GNR/VR fans:
I owe a lot to Axl for broadening my musical horizons and introducting me to such great rock acts as ELO, TODD RUNDGREN, CHARLES MANSON, PAUL REVERE & the CRUSADERS, ELTON JOHN, QUEEN and a

Charles Manson, yeah...such a great rock act!!? Roll Eyes

You are right. He sure did have many followers indeed...he "touched" many lives there's no doubt about that.

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 07:20:59 PM »

Great post.  I think the best way to handle these two bands is to simply support both.  The bottom line is that they broke up a long time ago because they couldn't get along anymore, although I think Axl is more responsible than anyone else (just my opinion).  But I don't hold grudges against anyone that was or is in this band.  They are all great musicians who make great music, whether it is VR, Gn'r, or a side project.  I'm just so thankful for three members of my favorite band to be back together with a hell of a great singer in Scott Weiland releasing albums, touring, and being all over TV and radio.  I was finally able to see VR on stage in November.  And if Axl ever decides to return again, I'll definitely be seeing him and his new band as well, unlike when the 2002 tour was cancelled a week before I was gonna see them  Sad.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 07:30:31 PM »

THanks to the rock fans who actually took 2 minutes off to read my post.
I do like Charles Manson's song that Axl chose to cover in 1993 - "Look At Your Game Girl. The guys had a promising career in music, its too bad that he went "OJ" on his surroundings (I couldn't help myself -I just saw a special on E! about the incident with OJ in 1994.
 Cheesy
MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 08:54:01 PM »

I think MNR is merely stating the obvious.  The breakup was a divorce. It is natural that the fan base would be divided with our heroes. Slash and Duff have turned me off by their actions: the lawsuit, the endless bashing of axl in interviews, and a very mediocre, blase album. I'm glad they got their shit together but not for a second do I believe they didn't do their damnest to prevent Axl from taking the new Guns N Roses to Rio in 2001.

But i have to add that the door swings both ways. For every VR basher there is a complementary Axl basher who chided the new band at every turn; people who erroneously reported that fans left the concerts early out of some discontent, who claim axl uses physical and performance aids to maintain some lost facade of a decade ago. I see it here and in other forums and I believe to merely confront so called Axl fans for their behavior is a very myopic way to address this issue of divorce. As I recall, the rudest fans at the new GnR shows were the ones who would chant 'Where's Slash' while Buckethead ripped out his solo segment. I'm sure VR has it's share of Axl hooligans, but the main point to be made here is that in every divorce, there are those who embrace the father, those that embrace the mother, and those torn apart in the carnage.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 10:05:01 PM »

Good post. The sad thing for me is that there are many Axlites that solely want to see VR fail because of all the shit Axl takes.  I haven given Axl a fair ammount of shit which he deserved. I was all about Axl and supporting his new shit when rumors of him started coming about in 99. I liked Oh My God, some other stuff. I was listening to the Rock In Rio songs on the net as they were being played that night. Then the more I heard I didn't like, I saw them live and it wasn't that great, and Axl started being a bonehead and causing riots and shitting on fans again. That was enough, I wish him all the success in the world now it's just that this fan is gone. There is too much good shit out there. And you don't see me in GnR boards anymore. It isn't about Axl vs. Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven/ and Matt. It is not about me being a Slash worshiper which I have been accused of by the likes of DaveGnR2k3k4k. I simply don't like the new GnR because of the music and Axl's antics.  I hated the last Snakepit album too...

Bottom Line is if people want to classify Contraband as Mediocre after listening to it once on the net, it is THEIR LOSS!! The album flat out rocks and I still isten to a couple song sfrom it everyday!!

My latest discovery is the smooth as bass in Big Machine. There is one awesome part in there, I think it's during the "jet set" part. I'll investigate....

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 10:06:39 PM »

The guys had a promising career in music

ummm, Manson did not have a promising music career. He was a hack who hung out with established musicians in order to get noticed. He lived in one of the Beach Boys' house for awhile. At best, his music was good enough to attract women, but there is little redeeming about it.

The sad thing for me is that there are many Axlites that solely want to see VR fail because of all the shit Axl takes.

Ummm, and how many fans and critics out there criticize axl because they blame him for the breakup, acquiring the rights to the GnR name, and moving ahead with a new band. I don't think you guys can merely toss the blame at the foot of those who really enjoy the new Gnr and/or support axl. There are just as many bashers who originate from the VR side of the fence.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 10:13:18 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 10:31:06 PM »

Ummm, and how many fans and critics out there criticize axl because they blame him for the breakup, acquiring the rights to the GnR name, and moving ahead with a new band. I don't think you guys can merely toss the blame at the foot of those who really enjoy the new Gnr and/or support axl. There are just as many bashers who originate from the VR side of the fence.

Well those people were Gn'r fans most likely at one point. If they blame Axl for the break up that is their opinion. I don't think there are people over there bitching about Gn'r that were never Gn'r fans or. Therefore I wouldn't say they originate from the VR side of the fence. I mean if you were a huge GnR fan at one time, and don't like where the band is at right now it makes a little more sense than bashing a band like VR which you never even liked. There is definately a difference between that and not likeing  VR because your upset that people don't like Axl.  Axl made his enemies/haters long before VR was ever heard of...

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 11:44:09 PM »

Well those people were Gn'r fans most likely at one point. If they blame Axl for the break up that is their opinion. I don't think there are people over there bitching about Gn'r that were never Gn'r fans or. Therefore I wouldn't say they originate from the VR side of the fence. I mean if you were a huge GnR fan at one time, and don't like where the band is at right now it makes a little more sense than bashing a band like VR which you never even liked. There is definately a difference between that and not likeing  VR because your upset that people don't like Axl.  Axl made his enemies/haters long before VR was ever heard of...

I think you are arguing about semantics here. Orginate may have been poor word choice on my part. My point is that there are a number of Axl basher who now call themselves VR fans.  I'm sure they were GnR fans but at some point they decided that Axl was the main problem /cause of the breakup or whatever reason and now they are the primary critics/troublemakers whenever discussion about  the new Gnr comes up. I understand your point above but I think with this clarification my point should be more plausible.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:47:35 PM by killingvector » Logged

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 11:50:56 PM »

Mark here is a question for you, why is it ok for some VR fans to hate Axl Rose yet gnr fans cannot hate slash or duff?? Oh I think I can answer that. Its ok to love VR and old gnr but hate the new gnr and Axl yet if baffles people like you that love the new and old gnr but don?t like VR.? Why is it that it really bothers people like you when people don?t like VR? Could it be they might not like Slashs lies over the past 10 years, could it be that they are miffed at him for suing Axl over the rights to the old guns n roses songs that they all have a share of, or could it be because contraband is a very mediocre album.? Take your pick but those are just some of the reasons.?

As for people obsessed, I think you are obsessed with the possibility that people just might not like VR or the album contraband, why does it bother you so much? I am sorry that not everyone has the same taste in music as you but for the love of God do you have to keep making posts about why you are baffled people don?t like VR.

Now about VR being able to play in the shadow of gnr, hell every time someone mentions VR they attach the name guns n roses to it, you would think the official band name is VR with former members of guns n roses.? Slash and Duff sure wanted out of the band but keep milking that name for every penny its worth.?

As for you Tomass, I love how you are always crying about the axlittes yet never once mention the slashittes. Now why is that? Oh I forgot its ok for huge slash fans to want to see Axl fail yet if someone doesn?t wish the best for slash then oh no there must be something wrong or its stupid that people hate VR slash and duffs antics yet you can hate Axl for his antics.

The hypocrisy on this board by certain people continues and it?s funnier and funnier by the day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:59:08 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 12:42:37 AM »

The hypocrisy on this board by certain people continues and it?s funnier and funnier by the day.

I think it is safe to say you are one of the only people on this board who is obsessed with this supposed hipocrisy. I understand though its hard for a guy like you to come around here with an ounce of credibility though given how many times you've gotten egg on your face after all of your "guarantees" for GNR related things that continue to come and go. At what point will you come over to the darkside with all of those that have their eyes open and realize it is possible to be a Huge VR fan, GNR fan, and Axl fan all in one? It is completely retarded that there are people on this board who refuse to enjoy the VR ride given it is all we have for now and the forseeable future, as I think even the most ardent Axl worshipers are starting to realize that the likelihood of seeing that album any time soon/at all is becoming less and less likely by the day. To each his own though, their loss. I wouldn't worry about it Mark.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 12:50:19 AM »

could it be that they are miffed at him for suing Axl over the rights to the old guns n roses songs that they all have a share of

For all of your talk about hipocrites on this board I would think you are being totally Naive if you don't think Axl would do the exact same thing to those guys in a heartbeat if a lawyer went up to him and told him he thinks there is a way to get more control of the songs and put it to the other guy in the process. You know as well as I do Axl would be all over that if the situation presented itself, and he has shown that through his past actions. Slash/Duff are doing nothing Axl wouldn't do himself or already hasn't done.

or could it be because contraband is a very mediocre album.

This again is totally subjective, for most of the same people who think Contraband blows think songs like OMG, Silkworms and some of the other less than impressive new GNR songs are outstanding. Fans of either faction can easily convince themselve's mediocre songs are better than they actually are, because admitting otherwise would basically go to show that 6-7 years of staunchly defending one side or the other was wasted.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 01:02:36 AM »

I wonder why some GNR fans not only not like Velvet Revolver, but that they downright hate Velvet Revolver?!

Quoting Naupis a bit here, because music is totally subjective and Slash/Duff/Matt & Axl have torn each other up in the press enough to polarize their own diehard fans. As I said, it goes both ways.

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 01:55:40 AM »

I think MNR is merely stating the obvious.? The breakup was a divorce. It is natural that the fan base would be divided with our heroes. Slash and Duff have turned me off by their actions: the lawsuit, the endless bashing of axl in interviews, and a very mediocre, blase album. I'm glad they got their shit together but not for a second do I believe they didn't do their damnest to prevent Axl from taking the new Guns N Roses to Rio in 2001.

Don't you think it's a little hypocritical to hate VR for their actions but yet continue to have little to no problem with Axl's actions?

Dave, I think most of you Axl fans confuse VR fans dislike towards Axl's actions with hatred for the man himself. I think don't hate him but they do hate his actions.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 03:01:00 AM »

I think MNR is merely stating the obvious.  The breakup was a divorce. It is natural that the fan base would be divided with our heroes. Slash and Duff have turned me off by their actions: the lawsuit, the endless bashing of axl in interviews, and a very mediocre, blase album. I'm glad they got their shit together but not for a second do I believe they didn't do their damnest to prevent Axl from taking the new Guns N Roses to Rio in 2001.

Don't you think it's a little hypocritical to hate VR for their actions but yet continue to have little to no problem with Axl's actions?

Dave, I think most of you Axl fans confuse VR fans dislike towards Axl's actions with hatred for the man himself. I think don't hate him but they do hate his actions.

and what exactly are axl's actions to which you are referring? Philly? No one knows what happened there. The Erin-Stephanie saga? Once again we don't know the truth. Is Axl a saint? of course not. But in this divorce, I have not been endeared to Slash, duff, or matt by virtue of their inconsistant accounts of the breakup and their slanderous statements about the redhead. He has at least kept his mouth shut about these issues for the last two years.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: