Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Greatest hits, 10th bestselling record of 2004 worldwide
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest hits, 10th bestselling record of 2004 worldwide  (Read 4351 times)
Insomnis
Opening Act

Long time lurker

« on: December 30, 2004, 07:48:55 PM »

It has sold more than 5 million world wide.

TOP 10 List:

1      Usher - Confessions
Arista - 12.450.000 copies (preliminary estimate)

2       Norah Jones - Feels Like Home
Blue Note - 10.022.000 copies

3    Evanescence - Fallen
Wind-Up - 7.602.000 copies

4    Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin
Arista - 7.270.000 (preliminary estimate)

5    Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk
A&M / Interscope - 7.218.000 copies

6    Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
Octone / J Records - 6.920.000 copies (preliminary estimate)

7   Eminem - Encore
Shady / Interscope - 6.320.000 copies (preliminary estimate)

8    U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Island - 5.810.000 copies (preliminary estimate)

9    Dido - Life For Rent
Arista - 5.309.000 copies

10     Guns N'Roses - Greatest Hits
Geffen - 5.179.000 copies
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 07:52:49 PM »

Got a source? Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Insomnis
Opening Act

Long time lurker

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 07:56:09 PM »

http://www.unitedworldchart.de/

It seems the number of records sold, is not 100% correct, since the list is based upon the following:

"THE NUMBER OF COPIES ARE THE CUMULATIVE SALES OF AN ALBUM DURING THE TIME ON THE TOP 40 LIST"

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:03:28 PM by Insomnis » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »

But still.... It's in the Top 10.

Seems like many record buyers went and got that album.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 08:16:20 PM »

yeah, historic band, awesome music beer

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 08:22:15 PM »

Proves the name has selling power....

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 09:07:42 PM »

Proves the name has selling power....
not to mention classic music

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 09:25:17 PM »

The Fact that GN'R hasn't released an album since 1993, and 11 years later their names lands a top 10 album says alot.? Velvet Revolver is comprised of 2.5 GN'R members (Matt only counts as 1/2, he should be greatful I gave him that much credit) and didn't even come close, meaning they didn't even make the years top 40 albums (accouding to the given source.)? While I like Velvet Revolver and will be the first to say that amount of records sold doesn't equate quality music, this certainly tells us that if and when Chinese Democracy is released, it should have no problem being at the top of the charts.? beer
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 09:37:19 PM »

Great result - goes to show that the pendulum has  indeed swung back in Guns favour.

As far as Contraband goes, it can be classified as nothing but a success - they've established themselves in 2004 and I'd say world domination is theirs for the taking in 2005  ok

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 09:39:40 PM »

lets hope for both beer

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 10:27:54 PM »

Just  think how many copies CD would have sold world wide if it was released.  no

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 12:57:26 AM »

does anyone know how many it has sold in the USA alone?

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 01:05:37 AM »

What i would like to know is how Black Eyed Peas can sell 7.218.000 copies. Its insane. I thought the internet is hurting record sales? Not for that shitty band its not.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 01:24:49 AM »

WOW, so this year wasn't a total loss at all.
In fact, it was a victory and the GNR name has been saved!!! ( Gotta add the GNR greatest hits album to my profile)
 peace
If anything it beats out 2002 as being the most productive year for GNR since 1993. I only caught a glimpse of that BTM on VH1 the other day, but I gotta say that if I was a rock n' roll fan with little prior exposure of GNR, I would be licking up every album by their's off the shelves, just like when I first heard KOHD following an episode of MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch in 1998.
Of course in the past I was against the idea of a Greatest Hits album because I was naive and fooled by others (including Uncle Axl) that such an album would only "delay" the release of Chinese Democracy. Boy were we all wrong! Not only that, but the use of WTTJ with footage from Grand Theft Auto proved to be a KILLER COMBINATION that even had this fan on the edge of his seat every time that commercial goes on, and I listen to the song like 15 times a weeks (its one of the only GNR songs that never grows old on me). This proves that when former partners can set aside differences and work out to market the material for a contemporary purpose, then everyone wins and the music prevails!

Not only did GNR kicks ass with the "ancient artifact" catalog (if you own Rock In Rio 2 1/20/1991, then you'd understand my use here of "Ancient Artifact" Grin, but VR comes out with Contraband and even with a split fan base, they go platinum (about to hit multi-platinum), as Slash and Duff and Matt helped to revive their lives and their careers and that of a fellow struggling rocker to put out an album with some of the best music Ive heard in a long time...in fact, I alternate it with GNR in the gym (its as easy to be hyped on songs like SUCKERTRAIN BLUES & SET ME FREE as wttj & Pc). Their successes from record sales to Grammy nominations have also helped a new generation of rock fans discover GNR music, and helped me appreciate the contributions of members who were behind Axl on the mike.

All of this helped to heal the stinky taste of nu-GNR's 2002 tour and the delayed CD album (that and the fact that time heals all wounds. This has all helped set up Axl for an encore, which he either better show up at and not screw up or don't show up at all.

I pray for unity among us GNR fans this upcoming year...for AXL to "get it right", for VR to keep churning out the rockers and for the GNR catalog to earn its rightful place among the legends
 smoking
Happy New Years 2005!
Mark N' Roses

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 04:00:38 AM »

It seems as it was a very clear move by geffen/interscope to release the greatest hits, even if "we" don't like the tracklisting.  I haven't bought it do and I wont either. I've got every official product minus the greatest hits.

But the sales are good and the publicity behind this is great. 2005 has to be the year to continue building on.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 06:25:05 AM »

5 million copies only?? Huh
I'm desapointed. Appetite sold 20 million worldwide and the illusion 32 million copies worldwide when they were released...

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 06:33:17 AM »

I'm desapointed. Appetite sold 20 million worldwide and the illusion 32 million copies worldwide when they were released...

You can't make comparisons of that type. We're dealing with two very different time periods. What album moves 20 million units these days? I can't think of one. So I'd say 5 million is pretty good considering the current "climate".

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »

well, yes maybe you're right. After all, GN'R is not on tour and there are not videoclips. Maybe it will reach 6 million + copies after a year (march 2005).However I'm impressed by U2. selling so many records after just 6 or 7 weeks Shocked

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 07:01:45 AM »

Only? I'm very impressed about how GH was sold. 5 million is unbelievable great, considering that most fans bought the previous albums, so as I think at least half of the GH buyers has to be from the new generation of music listeners! It proves that GN'R is among the greatest bands of all time. First I didn't like the idea of releasing a GH album and I was more against it as the tracklist saw the light. But hell, it was a great marketing move and Axl really should have released CD in 2004 and they'd have sold over 2 millions in the first week without the public even hearing a note from the new album. But chances aren't lost...

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 07:29:50 AM »

yeah, historic band, awesome music beer

but crappy release  Undecided ...

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: