Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 10:41:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Worst Albums of 2004
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Albums of 2004  (Read 19397 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: December 30, 2004, 12:54:20 PM »

Source:? New York Daily News >> Thursday, December 30, 2004

The year in music
The high notes and lowlifes booming out of our speakers

Worst albums

1. R.E.M., "Around The Sun." A slow gurgly mess. When will they admit it's over?
2. Lil' Jon, "Crunk Juice." Southern rap low enough to make 2 Live Crew seem like Tupac Shakur.
3. Ray Charles, "Genius Loves Company." Squeezing the last drop out of a legend when he was too weak to do his best.
4. Toby Keith, "Shock'n Y'All." "Patriotic" exploitation at its most cynical.
5. Velvet Revolver, "Contraband." Corny '80s hair-metal makes a return, opportunistically mislabeling itself as punk.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
darkmonth
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 01:03:30 PM »

I respect that everyone has an opinion, but it's a shame that these fools have any kind of readership.  Some of these people will not listen to the album because of this opinion.

Oh well.
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:32:02 PM »

Get in the ring motherfuckers!  Grin

'Corny 80s hair metal'? Sorry, but which bloody album have they been listening to? I'd like to see their 'Best albums of 2004' list, if you can find it GypsySoul, because I cannot think of a major rock release this year that's been better than VR (not counting Greatest Hits albums by old bands such as Gn'R, I mean new music). I wouldn't mind them putting Contraband there if they had a legitimate reason - not enough Slash, production could've been better, whatever, but corny '80s hair metal is just pathetic, idiotic nonsense. If you're going to insult something by calling it corny hair metal, at least know what hair metal actually is.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 04:48:03 PM »

These are their 10 best :

1. Kanye West, "The College Dropout." Rap with wit, political savvy and hooks to burn.
2. Green Day, "American Idiot." The first punk-rock opera, with a daring, political theme and enough inspiring riffs to make this the "Quadrophenia" of its generation.
3. The Black Keys, "Rubber Factory." The sexiest blues record in eons.
4. Van Hunt, "Van Hunt." The first "new Prince" to live up to that hype in 20 years. Rock-soul at its most rousing.
5. Nancy Sinatra, "Nancy Sinatra." A host of alterna-stars, from Morrissey to Sonic Youth, wrote songs to suit Sinatra's swinging '60s persona. The result rivals the singer's snappiest hits from that groovy era.
6. Nick Cave, "Abattoir Blues." Rock's most esteemed ghoul combined glam and goth music to create the catchiest album of his 25-year career.
7. DJ Danger Mouse, "The Grey Album." A hugely improbable mash-up - of The Beatles "White Album" and Jay-Z's "Black Album" - that smartly combined genres as well as generations.
8. Sam Phillips, "A Boot and a Shoe." The most literate album of the year, filled with woozy art songs guaranteed to beguile.
9. Jay-Z, "The Black Album." Yes, it came out at the very end of '03. But, with repeated plays in '04, the full brilliance of Mr. Carter's swan song come through.
10. Magnetic Fields, "i." Self-hatred hasn't sounded this poetic and funny since the heyday of The Smiths.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 05:01:27 PM »

I always thought Green Day was daring.  nervous
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 05:09:29 PM »

Anyone from the NY area knows The Daily News is like a more legitimate National Enquirer.

Considering the source, their list is pure bullshit. Sounds like they did not even listen to Contraband. How can you posibly get hair metal confuser with VR considering that the original GNR weren`t hair metal either.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 05:46:20 PM »

The idea they say 80's hair metal and punk is just enough for me to not even bother.. We know scott is so hair metal, guess they see gnr members and think hair metal.. hihi

The band has more of a hard rock grunge sound then any hair metal..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »

Corny '80s hair-metal makes a return, opportunistically mislabeling itself as punk.

Huh

Contraband sounds like hair metal?  And when did "it" label itself punk?
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 06:02:28 PM »

2. Green Day, "American Idiot." The first punk-rock opera, with a daring, political theme and enough inspiring riffs to make this the "Quadrophenia" of its generation.
Thanks for posting the list Pandora ok Anyone who compares Green Day to The Who should have something terribly awful done to them rant. Quadrophenia is an amazing album, American Idiot sounds exactly the same as every single other Green Day song I've ever heard. These guys obviously wouldn't know great rock 'n' roll music if it stomped all over their faces shouting "Hey! I'm great rock 'n' roll music! Listen, see!"

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 06:05:37 PM by AxemanOnFire » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »

Thanks for posting the list Pandora ok Anyone who compares Green Day to The Who should have something terribly awful done to them rant. Quadrophenia is an amazing album, American Idiot sounds exactly the same as every single other Green Day song I've ever heard. These guys obviously wouldn't know great rock 'n' roll music if it stomped all over their faces shouting "Hey! I'm great rock 'n' roll music! Listen, see!"

Did you listen to the album?
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 06:17:32 PM »

I like Green Day, but American Idiot is overrated and it certainly doesn't come close to The Who's Quadrophenia.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 06:20:54 PM »

Anyone from the NY area knows The Daily News is like a more legitimate National Enquirer.

Considering the source, their list is pure bullshit. Sounds like they did not even listen to Contraband. How can you posibly get hair metal confuser with VR considering that the original GNR weren`t hair metal either.

easy.........watch the Welcome to the jungle video
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 06:26:05 PM »

Did you listen to the album?
I'll admit I haven't. I've heard American Idiot and Boulevard (spelling?), the two singles. Again and again. And again. And, just for a change, again.

Even so, you can't put Green Day on the same level as The Who, surely?

The only Green Day song I've liked was Time of Your Life, though I still can't stand that guy's voice even on that song. That said, having seen the 'Making the Video' (I was tired and the remote control was on the other side of the sofa Undecided), they're three pretty funny fellas. But I bet none of their album sleeves have stories about jellied eels Grin
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 06:45:10 PM »

lol, and U2's latest is not in there? Grin I won't buy CDs based on this paper's critics/ reviews, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 07:37:32 PM by Will » Logged

gunsnfnroses
Headliner

You're fucking crazy!

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

1. Kanye West, "The College Dropout." Rap with wit, political savvy and hooks to burn.
3. The Black Keys, "Rubber Factory." The sexiest blues record in eons.
4. Van Hunt, "Van Hunt." The first "new Prince" to live up to that hype in 20 years. Rock-soul at its most rousing.
5. Nancy Sinatra, "Nancy Sinatra." A host of alterna-stars, from Morrissey to Sonic Youth, wrote songs to suit Sinatra's swinging '60s persona. The result rivals the singer's snappiest hits from that groovy era.
6. Nick Cave, "Abattoir Blues." Rock's most esteemed ghoul combined glam and goth music to create the catchiest album of his 25-year career.
7. DJ Danger Mouse, "The Grey Album." A hugely improbable mash-up - of The Beatles "White Album" and Jay-Z's "Black Album" - that smartly combined genres as well as generations.
8. Sam Phillips, "A Boot and a Shoe." The most literate album of the year, filled with woozy art songs guaranteed to beguile.
9. Jay-Z, "The Black Album." Yes, it came out at the very end of '03. But, with repeated plays in '04, the full brilliance of Mr. Carter's swan song come through.
10. Magnetic Fields, "i." Self-hatred hasn't sounded this poetic and funny since the heyday of The Smiths.

I still think it's funny that Contraband made their top 5 worst, and I think it's funny that a lot of folks will try to defend Velvet Revolver, but looking at the 10 best albums this year, it ain't so funny.

I'm a well-wisher, as in I don't wish you any specific harm
AxlRocks
Headliner

I WILL MEET AXL!!!

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »

Well wouldn't you know the "best" list is full of fukin' rap, made by some peice of shit rapper trash. rant rant Fuk the shitty New York post and there stupid ass list! rant Whoever wrote that shit is a basketcase, typical, modern day, asswipe! rant

Disgard this please, I have a real temper problem. Feel better now...
AR, AC ?peace
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 07:44:58 PM »

easy.........watch the Welcome to the jungle video

Yeah..forgot about that. Axl did look glammed out in that one. But that was it. I wouldn`t characterize them as a hair metal band because of it.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 02:02:10 AM »

lol, and U2's latest is not in there? Grin I won't buy CDs based on this paper's critics/ reviews, that's for sure!
Yeah, U2's new album kicks ass. I've heard of Green Day, but who the fuck are the rest? Nancy Sinatra? Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 07:49:31 AM »

a strong pollitical view.

Metallica- and justice for all.

html sucks
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 08:18:20 AM »

See, now we have a respected publication bashing Contraband, and some of you still can't take it.   Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: