Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guess who has "played with a wide variety of esoteric bands"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guess who has "played with a wide variety of esoteric bands"  (Read 1320 times)
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« on: December 20, 2004, 04:03:51 PM »

Was reading an old issue of Metal Edge" (mag), and there was an article on Primus when Brian "Brain" Mantia was their drummer. And yes, the quote of the subject title is taken from the article.

So, along with Primus, Mr. Brain has also "played with":

- Limbo Maniacs

- Praxis

- Godflesh

Any one have a chance to listen to these obscure bands?

Just thought I'd enlighten you all on Brain's past experiences, not to mention bands you probably never heard of... yes

edit to add: I just took a look at Brain's biography here, and the bands I mentioned were listed; So nothing groundbreaking, but i don't remember a thread or anyone ever mentioning these bands and Brain, so Undecided
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 04:08:30 PM by the dirt » Logged

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 05:51:18 PM »

Buckethead and Bill Laswell also play(ed) in Praxis...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:29:06 AM »

The Praxis cd Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) is the one with Buckethead, Brain, Baby Bam (from the Jungle Brothers), Bernie Worrell and Bootsy Collins. By and far, it's a solid album, and the most listener-friendly out of most of the Praxis albums. And those 5 guys on one cd-BRILLIANT casting job.

If you take all of that music that Laswell did on the Axiom label, it's some really interesting stuff. Yes, some of it is really avant garde crap, but there's some gems in there. I reveled in listening to some of the mid-90's Material stuff, the compiliations and such. But beware, some of the other Laswell produced and played stuff is WAAAAY out there. Huh

If you ask me, for what Axl says about taking the sound to another level, I would figure he listened to a lot of this Laswell stuff and was greatly influenced by it (and NIN and other Industrial stuff). But from hearing Silk Worms and Madagascar, I wouldn't be surprised if Axl proclaimed a great liking and influence from Laswell. Makes sense to me for his recruiting of Buckethead and Brain.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 03:23:41 PM »

Thats why Brain is so cool for GNR. He has other influences besides mainstream rock stuff.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: