Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What do you think CD will sound like? What do you want it to sound like?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think CD will sound like? What do you want it to sound like?  (Read 15561 times)
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2003, 10:38:56 PM »

I hope it will be a mixture of AFD and UYI
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2003, 10:56:22 PM »

I remember Axl saying that CD is going to be more Appetite style of album...but what that really means, considering all new songs that we've heard. If you want true rock Appetite style music, you should maybe wait also Velvet Revolver, I think it's going to be more rock and roll than Axl's new album..but who knows, again I may be truly wrong about this.

I don't think it'll be like Appetite at all, actually.  After all, one of the main reasons why the original band broke up was because Axl wanted to introduce industrial and electronic influences into the GN'R sound, while the rest of the band wanted a return to basic hard rock.  None of the new songs sound anything like Appetite.  "Madagascar" and "The Blues" are epic ballads in the truest sense of Use Your Illusion, while the rockers have more of an industrial influence in them (Spin magazine described "Chinese Democracy" as being akin to "quasi-political Rob Zombie", which I think is an apt description.  Kick-ass song).  Besides, I don't think at this point, Axl would be capable of writing an album like Appetite.  The new members have none of the influences of the old band - Aerosmith-style hard rock, 70s glam and punk.  And Axl himself is no longer a young street hood living in L.A.  He's a jaded, reclusive millionaire.  I can't see him writing an angry song about city life like "Welcome To The Jungle", and I also can't see him writing a simple, idealistic love song like "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Axl hasn't had a relationship with a woman in a long time.  Don't forget, "The Blues" and "Madagascar", for all their balladry, seem to be more about personal trials and struggles.

Maybe I'll give M?tley Cr?e's Generation Swine a listen.  Like GN'R, they're an 80s metal band that tried to bring industrial elements into their sound.  It might give a clue to the direction Axl's music will follow on CD, although there will be some consolation in the fact that it can never be as good as Axl's effort, since Axl has been working on his album for 10 years, and the Cr?e, while a great band, never had anywhere near the talent or ambitiousness of Guns N' Roses.

Glad to  hear someone make mention of Generation Swine. I thought Motley Crue pulled off the transition of hard rock and modern electronic influences very well on that album. THe production is so big and crisp and the album has everything - heavy rock, ballads, loops and almost straight out electronica.
This is what I imagine CD to be like when Axl says "it truly is a melting pot".

It's a shame about Motley Crue too, they showed so much potential on their 94 self-titled effort and Generation Swine and then they went back to making the cheesy hair metal I kinda despised them for. It seems most of the clueless public doesn't like change. Oh well...

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2003, 11:29:40 PM »

I have to agree with the last post. Generation swine was petty kick ass, GNR will definitly make a better album, but New Tattoo................ rant

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2003, 12:34:28 PM »

I remember Axl saying that CD is going to be more Appetite style of album...but what that really means, considering all new songs that we've heard. If you want true rock Appetite style music, you should maybe wait also Velvet Revolver, I think it's going to be more rock and roll than Axl's new album..but who knows, again I may be truly wrong about this.

I don't think it'll be like Appetite at all, actually.  After all, one of the main reasons why the original band broke up was because Axl wanted to introduce industrial and electronic influences into the GN'R sound, while the rest of the band wanted a return to basic hard rock.  None of the new songs sound anything like Appetite.  "Madagascar" and "The Blues" are epic ballads in the truest sense of Use Your Illusion, while the rockers have more of an industrial influence in them (Spin magazine described "Chinese Democracy" as being akin to "quasi-political Rob Zombie", which I think is an apt description.  Kick-ass song).  Besides, I don't think at this point, Axl would be capable of writing an album like Appetite.  The new members have none of the influences of the old band - Aerosmith-style hard rock, 70s glam and punk.  And Axl himself is no longer a young street hood living in L.A.  He's a jaded, reclusive millionaire.  I can't see him writing an angry song about city life like "Welcome To The Jungle", and I also can't see him writing a simple, idealistic love song like "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Axl hasn't had a relationship with a woman in a long time.  Don't forget, "The Blues" and "Madagascar", for all their balladry, seem to be more about personal trials and struggles.

Maybe I'll give M?tley Cr?e's Generation Swine a listen.  Like GN'R, they're an 80s metal band that tried to bring industrial elements into their sound.  It might give a clue to the direction Axl's music will follow on CD, although there will be some consolation in the fact that it can never be as good as Axl's effort, since Axl has been working on his album for 10 years, and the Cr?e, while a great band, never had anywhere near the talent or ambitiousness of Guns N' Roses.

Well yes, I didn't mean it in that way. But he said that it's going to be that kind of style ( good rocks songs and so on) and not to be worry about that kind of things. And when he was asked what kind of album we should wait from him, new age or some mew metal stuff..? Axl answered saying something about the process and then said that it's going to be more Appetite kind of STYLE album.........Of course Axl isn't going to go back to 80's literally with puplishing CD as raw and pure rock as Appetite. But the first CD that comes out is quite more rocker..I'd think..we'll see

I dont have direct link to this statement, but I think that you or some of you guys remember this.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2003, 12:56:28 PM »

Well, if a 2001's quote is still true, Axl said (in that 'interview'on the pool, in Rio) that CD will have a lot of Locomotive and Civil War type of song. Who knows if he changed his mind through all this time...

Abra?os,

Bruno

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2003, 12:58:35 PM »

About the "raw version" of November Rain........I'm not sure when the song was actually conceived......but I do know that I have a bootleg of November Rain that's all piano.....and extremely long........

It sounds like it's a demo or something........

I would call it an unplugged demo, and it's not longer than the version on the album.

I don't know when the song was first written--somebody on this board should know-but I did see a VH1 show earlier this year and they said that the original NR was 25 minutes long. I remember I posted something about it at the time, but I have forgotten which month is was. Sometime in the spring I think.
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2003, 01:21:36 PM »

Well, if a 2001's quote is still true, Axl said (in that 'interview'on the pool, in Rio) that CD will have a lot of Locomotive and Civil War type of song. Who knows if he changed his mind through all this time...

Abra?os,

Bruno

I don't remember seeing this.  Is this in the news archive on the HTGTH site?  If so, can someone please posta a link cause I can't find it?  If not, does anyone know where else I could get this interview?  

I know I'd remember it if Axl said it was going to be like Locomotive and Civil War.

/Tulip
madagas
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2003, 02:11:26 PM »

I haven't heard of that either! Honestly, no one knows what this album will ultimately be like-for fuck's sake Axl can't make up his mind on what he wants it to sound like. The six songs we have heard are all over the board. Who even knows if they will be on the record? They are all old now. Guessing what this crazy fuck will do is useless. beer I'm going to Radiohead tonight so I don't give a shit for the time being. smoking
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2003, 02:50:32 PM »

Abra?os,

Bruno

I don't remember seeing this.  Is this in the news archive on the HTGTH site?  If so, can someone please posta a link cause I can't find it?  If not, does anyone know where else I could get this interview?  

I know I'd remember it if Axl said it was going to be like Locomotive and Civil War.

/Tulip
I guess it was just a talk with some fans, not actually an interview. I'm at work right now but I'll try to search this info later... But I guess it was heard by some fans, so it could be true.

Abra?os,

Bruno

RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2003, 06:43:44 PM »

Abra?os,

Bruno

/Tulip
I guess it was just a talk with some fans, not actually an interview. I'm at work right now but I'll try to search this info later... But I guess it was heard by some fans, so it could be true.

Abra?os,

Bruno

I remember that Axl said this: "yeah, will have a lot of songs like november rain on the album", dont remember anything about locomotive and civil war ... just that was in Rio.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 06:45:27 PM by RnT » Logged

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2003, 08:48:43 PM »

i think it will be someting like     " NIN*TOOL*APC*OLDGNR "

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2003, 08:53:13 PM »

Abra?os,

Bruno

/Tulip

Abra?os,

Bruno

I remember that Axl said this: "yeah, will have a lot of songs like november rain on the album", dont remember anything about locomotive and civil war ... just that was in Rio.

I remember this interview too, but I think Axl said that there were songs songs on CD as good as or better than November Rain. He didn't say what musical style they were.

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2003, 12:43:25 AM »

Abra?os,

Bruno

/Tulip

Abra?os,

Bruno

I remember this interview too, but I think Axl said that there were songs songs on CD as good as or better than November Rain. He didn't say what musical style they were.

I would swear I heard that Appetite style thing!! Nobody else don't remember this? It's just difficult that I don't have/remember direct link to this source...I may be wrong about this but I truly don't believe that.. Huh
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2003, 02:01:36 AM »

The only mention I remember Axl saying about Appetite in relation to CD was in his interview with Kurt Loder back in 1999. Not long after Oh My God came out.

He said he originally wanted to make an Appetite style album, but wasn't able to because of Slash (Huh) and he was involved in all sorts of law suits he didn't have time to develop a new style. But once he started putting together the new band he wanted to evolve GN'R's sound.

These aren't exact quotes, just from what I can remember.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2003, 01:23:23 PM »

The only mention I remember Axl saying about Appetite in relation to CD was in his interview with Kurt Loder back in 1999. Not long after Oh My God came out.

He said he originally wanted to make an Appetite style album, but wasn't able to because of Slash (Huh) and he was involved in all sorts of law suits he didn't have time to develop a new style. But once he started putting together the new band he wanted to evolve GN'R's sound.

These aren't exact quotes, just from what I can remember.
I remember that too, it's in the articles section of the site anyways...
But I swear I see some reference for Locomotive style of song in CD, and it was that talk in Rio, before the show... I couldnt find yesterday, but I don't have too much time for search this quote...
Anyways, I'm not sure if he talked about Civil War... But I'm  100% sure about Locomotive!

Abra?os,

Bruno

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2003, 08:38:24 AM »

It will just be quotes from Civil war and madagascar for 18 tracks.......

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »

Would you rather see epic songs/ballads on the piano, and keyboards, or

Hard rockers, just straight up  kick ass rock?

I personally rather see songs like welcome to the jungle, paradise city, civil war, and scom type ballads rather then big productions like novermber n estranged..I love the songs, just think it was good once around.. That's me though..

On  side note, is there anyone that doesn't like industrial sounding music??

The album really has me thinking, how do you advance from the illusions... It was right up there with any other great album where a band tried to add to their songs..
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2004, 04:05:56 PM »

I really do think that people shouldn't look into this too much. It won't be all epic......if that is what people are afraid of. And it neither will be only rockers. It will be a combination of those. But beware that it doesn't resemble that much too appetite or the illusions. It will get a different sound definitely. Especially with Axl's new abilities vocal-wise. And the new band will contribute greatly to the diversity of the new albums sound.

Finaly if you listen to "chinese democracy" the song itself. Does it sound like appetite?? No.... now does "madagascar" sound like something of the Illusions? No.... Perhaps the term "rocker" or "epic" shouldn't be connected to for instance? ? ------> "rocker=appetite-a-like" and Illusion=epic or overblown" that is rediculous. You will get something really special. And it's strange to say that "I want this.....or that or bla to be on the album". It isn't our call, he will do what feels right to him......and what feels right with the band in general. Now I do not want appetite all over again and i don't want Illusions all again. And you know what....we won't get that neither a combination. Except......well.....you can hear it is Axl singing.....and his visions about songs is perhaps somewhat similar to what he has done in the past....but different??? new??? fresh??? You can count on that for sure!!

End of discussion? Wink

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2004, 04:09:51 PM »

Personally it doesn't matter ,I just want the fucking album.  ok beer

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2004, 04:42:10 PM »

I want to see it diverse. I want it all.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: