Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 07:13:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Tommy Stinson Interviews and Articles thread (If you have one post it here)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tommy Stinson Interviews and Articles thread (If you have one post it here)  (Read 51183 times)
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2004, 10:13:21 PM »

At the end of the day, nobody ever said it's going in for mastering before and that it's been mixed.

All this time the delay has been that the album hasn't been finished. Once it's done, what else can Axl delay over?

@#$%Funker
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2004, 11:02:37 PM »

Here is a simplified explenation of mastering:

WHAT IS MASTERING?
Mastering is a fine tuning process that is done to the studio mix. It is the final step before duplication and your last chance to get everything perfect. Albums that contain music from a variety of sessions, studios, engineers and producers need to be combined into a cohesive sounding package. Mastering is about album consistency, and a sound quality that doesn't vary from track to track. Tonal balance, fade in's and fade out's, sequencing, noise problems... all of these things are dealt with during the mastering process. Frequency analysis and correction, noise reduction, compression, expansion, and equalization (EQ) are just a few of the techniques used to provide the professional quality heard on every major record labels' commercial recordings. We offer the latest in a computerized state- of-the-art digital mastering and editing.? We use special digital signal processing tools to make your mixes sound the way they should. Whether it is rock, rap, pop or dance, blues, jazz, country or gospel, we can bring out the sound quality of your music using the latest techniques. Why settle for just the studio mix down copy of your recording when it could be clearer, cleaner and more cohesive? Let us give your recording the attention it deserves.

How Long Does it Take?
Although there is no limit to the time or money that can be spent on mastering, many people in the business state that a good rule of thumb would be an average of 8-12 hours for most albums, or in the neighborhood of an hour for each song. This assumes that the CD was well recorded and no additional processing requirements are specified. Additional time will be allocated depending on the condition of the original recording, a client's specifications and any unusual or custom needs.

Thanx to: http://www.acoustikmusik.com/mastering.htm / http://www.discmakers.com/music/pse/mastering.asp
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So even if Chinese Democracy took 56 times longer to master than the average amount of time albums are mastered in, that would only come out to 4 weeks. Velvet Revolver just mastered Contraband in one day. (December 19th, 2003)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 11:06:38 PM by IndiannaRose » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2004, 11:38:05 PM »

great!
thanks for that info Indianana Rose

"last chance to get everything perfect"  nervous
:lol

"there is no limit to the time or money that can be spent on mastering"
sounds perfect for GN'R!  Tongue
SLCPUNK
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2004, 12:11:17 AM »

Really? Do you have a source for that information??
Seems like it's closer to being done than what it was a year ago.
1) yes I have.
2) indeed, yes it's closer, but the record isn't finished yet. However, it's not impossible that an annoucement could be make before the end of the year to announce a release date for 2005. But once again, nothing is sure and totally decided for the moment.

I think you should "liberate" your source.......
estranged.1098
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2004, 01:44:57 AM »

Is this nesquick that rocktar person? argh...
anythinggoes
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2004, 03:40:35 AM »

Tommy Stinson Remains Hopefully Vague On Future Of New GN'R Album
Tuesday September 14, 2004 @ 04:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Tommy Stinson 

Tommy Stinson?s rock circuit hasbeein a strange trip indeed ? plying the fat strings on the full catalogue with the legendary Replacements, a one-off as Bash & Pop, a new solo album called Village Gorilla Head and eventually (hands clasped in prayer), a new Guns N? Roses album called Chinese Democracy.

The solo record at hand, Village Gorilla Head, is an as-expected batch of eclectic rock and pop tunes reminiscent of The Replacements, albeit tighter and brighter.

"When I decided I was going to make a record, all the demos were based on me experimenting with other instruments, different arrangements and other musical soundscapes, so to speak," Stinson says. "It was all meant to be very experimental. That gets back to what makes music interesting in the first place, stepping out of your norm, stepping out of what your expertise is, challenging yourself musically. And that's what I intended to do, which, I think I did pretty well. I covered a lot of things that I had never done before that are interesting, and I think a lot of people are responsive to. And I think, I'll continue that path [laughs]."

With tour dates pock-marking the landscape for Stinson, all the guy can do now is wait for the GN?R situation to ramp up and explode.

"I would imagine they would start mastering it some time in October, November, somewhere in there," says Stinson vaguely, about a record that seems destined to miss another semi-set release date. "I just wanted to make sure I got my two cents in so I couldn't look back and go, 'Dudes, what's up?' And they go, 'Dude, where were you? You didn't say anything!' So I got my two cents in on it."

And what was your two cents?

"My two cents was very much like a cent and a half," he says. "It's like, all the stuff I heard was phenomenal. I didn't get a chance to listen to all of it, because I was pressed for time. But also I wanted to hear the things I hadn't heard yet. Some of the stuff had been done a while ago and hadn't changed much; I didn't really bother with that. But I wanted to hear all the new stuff and I heard about six things that I hadn't heard finished yet, that were really mind-blowing. A few of the songs are pretty epic in length, but that's always been GN'R's thing, hasn't it? I don't think it's a particularly long album, but I think the six I heard are pretty epic. I mean they are just... fucking huge, you know [laughs]. I think pretty much all of us in the band have some songwriting credits on just about everything. The undertaking was pretty much a large collaboration between eight people, even a couple others who aren't around anymore, but maybe started with pieces of the old band or whatever. But yeah, there is probably a lot to go around with that one."

A very little one i know but do you find after each one it seems that just the tiniest piece of extra info come out
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2004, 04:00:55 AM »

yes, tomy has said more on one tour than axl said in the past 10 years....
if the mastering of the album is starting, then it can't be very far away at all

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
Estranged fucker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2004, 05:45:27 AM »

What does mastering exactly mean?? and how long does it take to master a cd???
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2004, 06:05:53 AM »

GENERALLY: 1 week or 2
FOR AXL: "within the next few weeks" and then the CD will be released "soon"... Grin

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Lucio92
Headliner

GNR Venezuela

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2004, 07:12:51 AM »

Mastering means the song are alredy record and finally mix but they are working on some points in the songs like audio level, and cleaning the beggining and the end (fade's in & out) so the final sound it's fixed to the technical issues in audio  for playback and difussion on radio and tv
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2004, 10:33:51 AM »

Motherfunk,

I have to disagree on the projects like this take so long... It's just more like projects with axl rose take this long.. A rock album would never take this long with anyone else..

Sure I agree with the idea that if you get an orchestra to play with the band and you have 7-8 members it could be a while..

To go over the same songs for years is just crazy, how much tweaking can one do..? I mean did he hear a violin out of whack then have to hire diferent players to fix the parts??

Everything we do is guess work on what has been going on etc, but I wll never agree that there's any way to justify how long the album has taken..

I could say hey dude I work construction in nyc, worked on a 90 story trump building. There's 1000's of people that need to be on the same page, changes happen, things need to be fixed etc, but it gets doine and everything works out...In much less time.. I wish there was a deadline on this album... I am by no means comparing music to construction, just saying things happen but the show must go on.. beer
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2004, 11:08:52 AM »

Did Tommy just imply that some of the old band's stuff was used?  Or pieces of it anyway?
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2004, 03:02:35 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES bassist Tommy Stinson recently told Canada's Chart Attack that the group's long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy" is nearing completion. "I would imagine they would start mastering it some time in October, November, somewhere in there," Stinson said. "I just wanted to make sure I got my two cents in so I couldn't look back and go, 'Dudes, what's up?' And they go, 'Dude, where were you? You didn't say anything!' So I got my two cents in on it."

And what was Stinson's two cents?

"My two cents was very much like a cent and a half," he said. "It's like, all the stuff I heard was phenomenal. I didn't get a chance to listen to all of it, because I was pressed for time. But also I wanted to hear the things I hadn't heard yet. Some of the stuff had been done a while ago and hadn't changed much; I didn't really bother with that. But I wanted to hear all the new stuff and I heard about six things that I hadn't heard finished yet, that were really mind-blowing. A few of the songs are pretty epic in length, but that's always been GN'R's thing, hasn't it? I don't think it's a particularly long album, but I think the six I heard are pretty epic. I mean they are just... fucking huge, you know [laughs]. I think pretty much all of us in the band have some songwriting credits on just about everything. The undertaking was pretty much a large collaboration between eight people, even a couple others who aren't around anymore, but maybe started with pieces of the old band or whatever. But yeah, there is probably a lot to go around with that one."

If this is already posted sorry

estranged.1098
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2004, 03:56:18 PM »

Motherfunk,

I have to disagree on the projects like this take so long... It's just more like projects with axl rose take this long.. A rock album would never take this long with anyone else..

You have to excuse me - but Axl is not just making a rock album. He had to rebuild Guns N' Roses to do that, so this isn't like any other band.
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2004, 04:02:23 PM »

Tommy must have seen Axl in the past few days to hear the final mixes. Can probably figure out where aswell considering a new interview with Tommy has been coming out pretty much every day. At the begining of this tour he wasnt really saying anything about the album, then all of a sudden we are getting told all this information about the amazingness of the tracks and what is currently happening. Either Tommy has been told to start letting the press know what is happening in the world of GnR or....... he has become so annoyed with the questions that he has given up dodging around them and is just telling it how it is.

It seems like the wait is almost over. Bring on 2005!!!

Jonx
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2004, 06:20:42 PM »

Motherfunk,

You have to excuse me - but Axl is not just making a rock album. He had to rebuild Guns N' Roses to do that, so this isn't like any other band.

Every group in the world has to start somwhere, doesn't mean it should take so long.. SO many groups start with just putting some add in the paper and need to recruit players.. Gnr formed by 1985, look at what they did by 87...

The one thing the new gnr has that others don't is the foot in the door.. This should speed up the process..
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2004, 06:29:02 PM »

The one thing the new gnr has that others don't is the foot in the door.. This should speed up the process..
That "foot in the door" will only take them so far. Yes, they have the GNR name and that will definately help, initially. But what has the GNr done since TSI? Nothing. So yea the old GNr fans will be there for CD. But they would be there even if it was a different band name.

This new band and album have a lot more proving to do than having the red carpet rolled out. For anyone who doesnt see that is blind. This band still has to prove that they are legit. This band has to prove that they are worthy of the already scucceful old lineup.

And the only thing that will prove and legitimize this band is the music. If it sux, GNR, as it is today will flop. But if its good its becuase of the music, not the GNR name.

You cant have it both ways. Yes, initially the GNR name will help sell a few more records. But not mucha nd not for long. Th emusic will have to push the album, not the name. CAse Closed

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2004, 06:35:41 PM »

I agree it will be harder with the name, they have to prove everyone wrong, at least axl does.. !

The gnr name though did make swome great stuff happen for the new guys, arena tour, closing the vmas, doing rio 3, and were to play rio 4.,..I think rio 4 really fucked them up, it would have been a place where something new would have to have been played..

Carrying the name definetly has pros and cons..
Having the name could cause some laziness on promotion..

Sometimes I would love to take a four month nap and then check the board hihi
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2004, 06:41:54 PM »

Sometimes I would love to take a four month nap and then check the board
Great...cya in 4 months Wink

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2004, 06:45:27 PM »

Sometimes I would love to take a four month nap and then check the board
Great...cya in 4 months Wink

I wish I could. I was waiting for that rofl
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: