Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 02:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Tommy Stinson Interviews and Articles thread (If you have one post it here)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tommy Stinson Interviews and Articles thread (If you have one post it here)  (Read 51206 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »

The sad part is he has to say the band still exists, shows how people think outside of forums.. There needs to be months of preperation before the album comes out, video, single, tour dates, etc.. I want the album more then life, but I don't want another live era sales wise..

We waited this long, we should have eveything big.. Grin
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2004, 05:19:25 PM »

The sad part is he has to say the band still exists, shows how people think outside of forums.. There needs to be months of preperation before the album comes out, video, single, tour dates, etc.. I want the album more then life, but I don't want another live era sales wise..

What if the cd is too heavy to carry home?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2004, 05:39:52 PM »

What if the cd is too heavy to carry home?

Funny it could be 200 pounds it'll still be going home.. I'll need to call the guys from the tv  show BIG to make me a cd player for it though Cheesy
You get my drift though.. Wink
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2004, 06:40:01 PM »

Here's another piece from Mr. Martin Popoff, the guy who had that really cool one on www.bravewords.com.  I'm guessing this is just an extension of his first conversation:

Tommy Stinson Remains Hopefully Vague On Future Of New GN'R Album

September 14, 2004 @ 04:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Tommy Stinson?s rock circuit hasbeein a strange trip indeed ? plying the fat strings on the full catalogue with the legendary Replacements, a one-off as Bash & Pop, a new solo album called Village Gorilla Head and eventually (hands clasped in prayer), a new Guns N? Roses album called Chinese Democracy.

The solo record at hand, Village Gorilla Head, is an as-expected batch of eclectic rock and pop tunes reminiscent of The Replacements, albeit tighter and brighter.

"When I decided I was going to make a record, all the demos were based on me experimenting with other instruments, different arrangements and other musical soundscapes, so to speak," Stinson says. "It was all meant to be very experimental. That gets back to what makes music interesting in the first place, stepping out of your norm, stepping out of what your expertise is, challenging yourself musically. And that's what I intended to do, which, I think I did pretty well. I covered a lot of things that I had never done before that are interesting, and I think a lot of people are responsive to. And I think, I'll continue that path [laughs]."

With tour dates pock-marking the landscape for Stinson, all the guy can do now is wait for the GN?R situation to ramp up and explode.

"I would imagine they would start mastering it some time in October, November, somewhere in there," says Stinson vaguely, about a record that seems destined to miss another semi-set release date. "I just wanted to make sure I got my two cents in so I couldn't look back and go, 'Dudes, what's up?' And they go, 'Dude, where were you? You didn't say anything!' So I got my two cents in on it."

And what was your two cents?

"My two cents was very much like a cent and a half," he says. "It's like, all the stuff I heard was phenomenal. I didn't get a chance to listen to all of it, because I was pressed for time. But also I wanted to hear the things I hadn't heard yet. Some of the stuff had been done a while ago and hadn't changed much; I didn't really bother with that. But I wanted to hear all the new stuff and I heard about six things that I hadn't heard finished yet, that were really mind-blowing. A few of the songs are pretty epic in length, but that's always been GN'R's thing, hasn't it? I don't think it's a particularly long album, but I think the six I heard are pretty epic. I mean they are just... fucking huge, you know [laughs]. I think pretty much all of us in the band have some songwriting credits on just about everything. The undertaking was pretty much a large collaboration between eight people, even a couple others who aren't around anymore, but maybe started with pieces of the old band or whatever. But yeah, there is probably a lot to go around with that one."

?Martin Popoff

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/09/1406.cfm

Ali
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2004, 07:44:36 PM »

Thanks Ali, I was about to post that too here, lol.

But I wanted to hear all the new stuff and I heard about six things that I hadn't heard finished yet, that were really mind-blowing. A few of the songs are pretty epic in length, but that's always been GN'R's thing, hasn't it? I don't think it's a particularly long album, but I think the six I heard are pretty epic. I mean they are just... fucking huge, you know

Hmmm.. Six epic songs?  nervous

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2004, 07:46:17 PM »

" I didn't get a chance to listen to all of it, because I was pressed for time."

Sounds like someone is more involved in other things,,,You would think gnr would be his first and only priorty, statements like that makes you wonder if he's more worried about his career outisde of gnr?? Everything is a long process when it comes to chinese d, the thing should be long done by now, should be just ready to be put on the shelves..

Not much more tommy can say with each interview, someone like axl needs to step up now and break his monk like vow of silence,... I'm so anxious for this album, it's crazy
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2004, 07:53:31 PM »

He seems to be hyping the release of this record in slightly more specific terms now (mentioning final mixes, descirptions of what the songs are like, the ideas in them, etc.), so it ought to imply we are close to hearing new material. Aslo seems, regardless of whether CD is out, a tour will happen.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2004, 08:05:05 PM »

WHy wouldn't the entire band want to be around to follow the album through? You would think it's the band's first project which will mark them as a band album wise.. He says things wehich are promising but he also says them as what he thinks will happen, very unsure of himself..

He didn't really get to put his two cents in, I wonder if the rest of the band is close to the project or are they calling in when they get a second??

To bad so many are touring, you would think they'd all be crowding around with smiles on their face
estranged.1098
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2004, 08:15:59 PM »

I'm too fucking excited right now!
madagas
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2004, 08:21:57 PM »

Mike, it is Axl's album. Period. They are foot soldiers and will be called to duty when needed. Grin
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2004, 09:08:35 PM »

Why don't people understand that with a project like this you can't say when anything will happen certainly. If anyone here has been involved in any sort of project of reasonable size, they will know that there are constant changes in planning.

I'm constantly working on projects in an IT department, and as you do one phase, you realise there are extra little things to be added on all the time, and the next phase gets postponed. You can never tell exactly when the next phase will start untill everything is ready.

In summary, I'm sure not even Axl could tell you exactly when mastering will occur so when Tommy says "I would imagine they would start mastering it some time in October, November", it's not because he's out of the loop, it's because he has to make an educated guess just like everyone working on CD, including Axl.

Also, why is it that people can't understand that you can't have all these guys in the studio all the time? These are people with families, commitments, etc. This is especially true if they are gonna be touring for more than a year and may have very little time for their families, etc.

And mike...."the thing should be long done by now"..... No shit man!

@#$%Funker
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2004, 09:13:17 PM »

"I would imagine they would start mastering it some time in October, November, somewhere in there," says Stinson vaguely

Does anyone have any idea how long the process of Mastering takes?? IF and it's a big IF, Axl REALLY is happy with the album now and wants it out ASAP, how long would he have to wait for it to be mastered and when do you think we could expect it in stores? I know any hope of getting CD this year is all but gone, however, I was looking forward to an early 05 release for CD, again that's IF Axl is happy about releasing his opus early on in the year because other people have said IMPORTANT albums usually get released at the end of the year. PLEASE Axl don't put us through another year of waiting, not sure if I can take much more of this!! The problem with Axl is he seems the type of person who could THINK he's happy with the album but then play it one last time and be like 'oh no we gotta change that little lick of guitar, someone call up Robin' and keep doing that shit forever! He needs to have the confidence in himself that we all have in him  yes

Another thing is, in Axl's last press release didn't he say Buckethead leaving had put them in a better position and opened up an oppertunity for Guns?? At first I thought this was just Axl being spiteful towards Bucket by saying 'Fuck you cos we didnt need you anyway', but after analysing it more it almost definately means that it's given him the oppertunity to work with ANOTHER guitarist. I am racking my brain to think who it could be. What i'm saying is I think Axl DOES have a replacement for Bucket, but he's keeping it a surprise. I know people keep saying G'N'R never needed 3 guitarists anyway but think about it, if Axl thought he didn't need 'em he wouldn't have em! What Axl wants he gets. The sound on this CD must be so huge that 3 guitarists are needed to pull it off live, plus if Axl needed to re-do any of Buckets parts and Bucket aint around to do them he would rather have someone else re-do them than release an album that wasn't perfect in his mind.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2004, 09:15:10 PM »

Sounds like someone is more involved in other things,,,You would think gnr would be his first and only priorty, statements like that makes you wonder if he's more worried about his career outisde of gnr?? Everything is a long process when it comes to chinese d, the thing should be long done by now, should be just ready to be put on the shelves..
Actually, you are correct. Tommy is involved with his tour and album at the moment.

GNR was his frist priority from when he joined up until recently. HIs work is DONE. He states that they are close to mastering it which means that the songs are DONE and that he went by to see how it turned out. Why does he have to be there when he was there night and day for a long ass period of time?
After all....he isnt called coined the  General for nothin  ok

You keep saying how this whole process took longer than it should have.

Ill bet you if there was an article a few yrs back that stated how this a complete Axl project and he tells the members what to do, etc and then released the album soon after you would be complaining how this is not a RnR band and all that other good stuff.
Instead this is the total opposite. Its a complete band effort. Axl got everyone to invest everythign they had into this. Yea, its taking some time, but again, if you look at in context of new gnr, its not that long afteralll...

On a sidenote...i'm happy to see that most of the material will be from the current band...including bucket....yea baby...

To bad so many are touring, you would think they'd all be crowding around with smiles on their face
There taking a short break from GNr. What is wrong with that? They worked hard overe the yrs and are about to embark on a massive worl tour to support this album and the followus....to enjoy the fruits of thier own labor......They know much more than we do...trust me...

Everything Tommy is saying is great. Im so pumped that the material will be from the current band members...The album is going to be worth the wait...I just get that feeling.....Something special is coming to the music world...and as DMX once said...all them bands are gonna suffer a depression....can you say chinese democracy......!

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2004, 09:24:08 PM »

NO RECORD BEFORE 2005
So listen to my advide: live your life for the moment because the record is not finished yet.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2004, 09:27:33 PM »

I'm glad you cleared that up Nesquick, and thanks for the great (and original) advice *sarcasm mode off*

@#$%Funker
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2004, 09:42:53 PM »

NO RECORD BEFORE 2005
So listen to my advide: live your life for the moment because the record is not finished yet.

Really? Do you have a source for that information?  hihi

Seems like it's closer to being done than what it was a year ago.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2004, 09:51:35 PM »

Really? Do you have a source for that information??
1) yes I have.
2) indeed, yes it's closer, but the record isn't finished yet. However, it's not impossible that an annoucement could be make before the end of the year to announce a release date for 2005. But once again, nothing is sure and totally decided for the moment.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 09:57:16 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2004, 09:56:03 PM »

Wow, your powers of stating the obvious are truly astonishing!

I need to sit down.

@#$%Funker
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2004, 09:56:05 PM »

Really? Do you have a source for that information??
1) yes I have.
2) indeed, yes it's closer, but the record isn't finished yet. However, it's not impossible that an annoucement could be make before the end of the year to announce a release date for 2005. But once again, nothing is sure and decided for the moment.
What's your source? Some record store employe?  Roll Eyes

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2004, 09:59:33 PM »

someone like axl needs to step up now and break his monk like vow of silence

I too would love for Axl to break his silence and give us a release date and I know this whole board would go crazy if Axl was to give an interview now stating it was due for release in Jan 05, but is everyone forgetting that EVEN Axl has told us this stuff before and it hasn't happened. Just check out the archived interviews and articles on this site to refresh your memory:

Radio Rock And Pop Chile, January 2001
DJ: When is it gonna be the new album? Is it possible that we're gonna have a new record from Guns N' Roses?

Axl: Yes. Um, hopefully we will put out a new single umm sometime this spring and then the record gonna be done in June or shortly thereafter.

AND THEN IN 2002

2002: August 14th Press release.
AXL: it's time to stop that now and wrap up the baby. It feels right, the timing, and a lot of things. We?ve sorted it down to what songs are on the record. What the sequence of the songs is. The album cover art is ready.

Sorry to be negative, I want CD just as much as everyone else but for those people who are saying 'I will only believe it's coming soon when Axl says it is' , you may still be let down if Axl faces another hurdle in it's recording/release.
On a more positive note I do have a good feeling about 2005, I think it will be nearer the end of '05 but I'm pretty sure we'll see it next year.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: