Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:24:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NBA 2004/2005
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBA 2004/2005  (Read 44739 times)
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 06:36:16 PM »

Rather than start a new NBA thread, I figured I just add to this one.  What are everybody's thoughts on this season.  I'm picking Spurs over Pacers in the finals.  Do we have many NBA fans around here?

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2005, 08:52:15 PM »

Spurs are the obvious choice for the West... A lot of people seem to be saying Indiana too, but I could see New Jersey taking the East.  Kidd/Jefferson/Carter is deadly and near impossible to defend, although they don't have any big men.

Here's one for you, will the Lakers make the playoffs this year?  My gut says yes, but my gut is not confident.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2005, 11:41:51 AM »

Yeah, when I live in America I used to order the NBA pass, but it was cheaper then (I think).

I hate The Spurs, they are the most boring team. Manu Ginobili is fun to watch though, he'll be traded in a few years to the...Knicks (and you heard it here first). I don't hink the Spurs are even gonna make it to the Western Finals, my guess is the Suns or Wolves. My heart says the Grizzles (my country man Gasol plays there) but they need at least a few more years to make a more solid team. So, I'm saying the Suns.

The East is a totally different ball game...I'd say the Heat. They's added a few important players to their roaster this summer, to many a collection of egos. But if they manage to find the perfect balance (and they will) they are my favorites.

Question to the Toronto fans...Eazy E (weren't you a Tornonto Fan?) What do you think about your new point guard Calder?n? What do people say about him?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2005, 12:25:37 PM »

The East is a totally different ball game...I'd say the Heat. They's added a few important players to their roaster this summer, to many a collection of egos. But if they manage to find the perfect balance (and they will) they are my favorites.

Question to the Toronto fans...Eazy E (weren't you a Tornonto Fan?) What do you think about your new point guard Calder?n? What do people say about him?

Yeah, Miami will be up there again, it will be interesting to see how they handle themselves without Shaq over the next month.

Well the Raps picked up 3 rookies this year and the focus has definetaly been on them.  In preseason they all did well, but the focus was on Charlie Villenueava... In the 3 regular seasons games all the talk has been about Jose Calderon.  He's the only bright spot I've seen on the team this year.  He brings a LOT of energy on to the court.  In his first game he brought the team back from a blowout when he came off the bench in the second and the next game he dropped 20 points.

My favourite thing about this guy is that he drives the lane and then dishes the ball out... it works GREAT for opening up a few guys and keeping the energy level up.  I heard that this type of play was common for European point guards.  Anyways, everyone is loving him so far.. so it's too bad the rest of the team is doing so terrible.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2005, 05:08:29 PM »

I don't think the Lakers are a playoff team in the West.  I can name 8 or 9 teams in the conference that are better.  This is Kobe and Phil's chance to prove how great they truly are.  If Kobe can carry this team to the postseason, I'll have a new respect for him as a player.  I think Phil Jackson also needs to prove himself.  He's never won a title when he didn't have the best/most dominant player on his team.  He went from Jordan and Pippen to Kobe and Shaq.  If he gets this team deep into the playoffs, he doesn't even have to get to the championship, then it'll be his biggest accomplishment as a coach to date.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2005, 08:39:23 AM »

I don't think the Lakers are a playoff team in the West.? I can name 8 or 9 teams in the conference that are better.? This is Kobe and Phil's chance to prove how great they truly are.? If Kobe can carry this team to the postseason, I'll have a new respect for him as a player.? I think Phil Jackson also needs to prove himself.? He's never won a title when he didn't have the best/most dominant player on his team.? He went from Jordan and Pippen to Kobe and Shaq.? If he gets this team deep into the playoffs, he doesn't even have to get to the championship, then it'll be his biggest accomplishment as a coach to date.

Interesting post, but I don't think that's 100% accurate. Yes, Phil Jackson has coached MJ, Pip, Kobe and Shaq, but he also gave those teams the winning edge they needed. Before Phil coached them, neither the Bulls nor This Generation Lakers had won anything. Maybe is the Yoda touch he treats his players with or the books he makes them read (this is actually truth, I read he makes his players read philosofy books) , but he definitely adds something. So it's not like he just happens to have the best players and let them do what they do best.

He's back because this year represents a challenge to him. It's also a challenge to Kobe to see if he can win a title without the big guy's help. It'd be interesting to see...

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2005, 02:09:26 AM »

I just think Phil joined up with both teams at the right time.  He started coaching the Bulls right as Jordan hit his prime.  They hadn't reached that level in previous years cause MJ was still developing and Pippen had barely been on the team yet.  With the Lakers, Kobe didn't develop into a elite player until the year Phil got there.  I guess you could argue that it was Phil that helped him develop into that player, but I don't think that's the case.  I think the Lakers could've brought just about anybody that year and they still would've won those titles...and the same goes for the Bulls.  I'm not saying Phil Jackson is a bad coach, but he's not one of the all-time greats.  Just look at how the Lakers are doing this year.  They're not even the best team in Los Angeles.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2005, 07:21:55 AM »

Pippen had barely been on the team yet.?

Tha's not true. Pippen was picked in 1987 by Seattle then traded to the Bulls. He had already been 3 or 4 years on the league when The Bulls won the first title in '91. His rookie season wasn't that good, Brad Sellers would start in his position, but in 1989 he was already a starter. His battles agains the Bad Boys during the 1989 and 1990 Easters Finals were remarkable.

Also, in 1994 after MJ's first retirement, the Bulls reached the EAstern Finals only to lose 4-3 against New York. Horace Grant has been traded to Orlando. The Bulls had a mediocre team but almost made the NBA Finals (Without Michael).? Jackson deserves a lot of credit for that.

I think the Lakers could've brought just about anybody that year and they still would've won those titles...and the same goes for the Bulls.?

There's no way to find that out. Jackson has been lucky to coach such talented players, I'm not gonna argue that, but he gave those players the edge they needed. Also, he manage to teach the Triangle Offense Concept in both teams with success. Yes, he didn't come with the original idea, his assistant did, but this shows even the best players need a system. Besides, MJ, Kobe and Shaq have admitted Jackson is the best coached they've ever had.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2005, 11:36:02 PM »

Good points, that 1993-94 Bulls team wasn't very good and they did go deep into the playoffs.  I'll give Phil credit there.  And he should also be commended on his ability to implement the Triangle successfully with two very different teams.  Phil is a great coach...I just think he's somewhat overrated.  With the whole best coach MJ, Kobe, or Shaq ever had thing, its a true statement...but those guys never had very good coaches other than Phil.  But yeah, I think I went a little too far with the Phil criticism.  He's done a great job over the years, but he has been quite lucky too.  But what great coach isn't I guess?  All the great coaches have had great players.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2005, 07:00:32 PM »

Weird no one talked about Kobe's performance last week. 62 points in 33 minutes. He sat down throughout the entire 4th quarters cause the Lakers had a 30 point lead. The guy scored 30 in the third, 7-13 from the field and 14-16 from the free throw line! He shot 16 free throws in one quarter!  Shocked

The Lakers are not doing that well, but this should be Kobe's year. 2006 season MVP could already have a winner.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »

I woukd've liked to see him play the 4th.  The way he was playing he could've cracked 90.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2005, 05:07:25 AM »

I woukd've liked to see him play the 4th.  The way he was playing he could've cracked 90.

i thought the same thing. go for that damn record. what is it? 100 in a game?

gnrevolution.com
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2005, 06:23:31 AM »

Jackson asked in the 4th if he wanted to go back in, but he didn't. He was probably dying to get back in there, but he thought the press would've flamed him for doing so cause the lakers had a big lead, plus the press keep saying Kobe plays for Kobe instead of playing for the Lakers benefit. That sure had something to do with his decission.

I don't think he'd scored 100 points (he would've had to score 38 in the 4th) but he could've reached 80 easily. What a pity...
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »

Just curious, what does everybody think of Ron Artest here.  I'm a Pacer fan, and I want him out right now.  He may be extremely talented, but this is two seasons in a row his idiocy ruins a potentially great season for my Pacers.  That brawl totally ruined last season, and he's been a huge distraction this season as well.  Talk about a waste of talent.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2006, 08:05:13 AM »

I think Artest is a very good player, tough and dedicated. Every team would love to have him (besides the  pacers, who are shopping him around), but he certainly has a bit of an attitude problem.

Regarding Kobe, I do think he plays for himself. In my humble opinion, he doesn't make his teammates better.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2006, 08:09:30 AM »

Just curious, what does everybody think of Ron Artest here.? I'm a Pacer fan, and I want him out right now.? He may be extremely talented, but this is two seasons in a row his idiocy ruins a potentially great season for my Pacers.? That brawl totally ruined last season, and he's been a huge distraction this season as well.? Talk about a waste of talent.

I don't think he is that talented. He probably think hs is, but there's at least 20 players in the league better than him.

Besides, he is a trouble maker. I really wouldn't want the guy on my team.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »

I no longer want Artest on the Pacers, but I disagree about him not being that talented.  If he ever got his shit together I think he'd be a top 10 all-around player.  He can score more than 20 a game, and he's one Defensive Player of The Year.  Not too many guys in the league can do that.  However, it is apparent that the negatives outweigh the many positives.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2006, 11:17:52 AM »

Kobe drops 81 points!  Shocked

The second highest point total in NBA history only beaten by Will's 100 points.

I knew this was coming...it was just a matter of days after his 60 points + peformance last month and 4 consecutive matches scoring 45 + points. No doubt he is trying to win his first MVP award.

now, I don't really know why he does this. MJ's bulls were not a strong team until Michael understood what he needed to do to make his teammates better. Kobe is not making his teammates better by scoring 81 out of 122 points.

Anyway, amazing performance though.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »

I watched this whole game... Our announcer was talking about how flat the Lakers were going into the second half and that the game was pretty much over when the Raps were up by like 17 or something.  Then this guy just exploded. 81 points?!?!?!!

It didn't help that the Raps were doing shit like fouling on 3 balls, but damn... that was a hell of a game to watch.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2006, 04:02:50 PM »

Kobe drops 81 points!? Shocked

The second highest point total in NBA history only beaten by Will's 100 points.

I knew this was coming...it was just a matter of days after his 60 points + peformance last month and 4 consecutive matches scoring 45 + points. No doubt he is trying to win his first MVP award.

now, I don't really know why he does this. MJ's bulls were not a strong team until Michael understood what he needed to do to make his teammates better. Kobe is not making his teammates better by scoring 81 out of 122 points.

Anyway, amazing performance though.

I find it admirable that MJ fans try to keep him the greatest but COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!

Kobe doesnt have a Scottie Pippen, he doesnt have a Horace Grant or Dennis Rodman.

The Lakers were down by 18 points when He took over and scored 55 pts in the 2nd half to lead them to a victory.

MJ didnt understand that until later in his career either.

Kobe is a better jump shooter than Jordan.

Kobe has the same intensity, the same driving ability, the same defensive ability.

Kobe is only 27 years old and if he keeps goin at this rate he will be better than MJ skill wise.

Jordan as great as he was got helped a lot by his image.

Kind of like Hulk Hogan in wrestling, his image was sooooooo huge it made him even more larger than life than he really was.

Kobe has the chance to be better than MJ.

All he needs is a few teammates and the Lakers will be untouchable.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: