Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff says Scott was around more than Axl during songwriting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff says Scott was around more than Axl during songwriting.  (Read 23094 times)
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »

Let's assume Duff means what he's accused of saying. Axl didn't write that much. But look at the song writing credits. It's not like Duff is the one responsible for most of the songs either.

Izzy is reponsible for a lot of songs on the UYI albums.

Maybe he should say "Axl didn't write that much. Usually Izzy would bring in a song and then we'd work on it. Except when I brought in two songs and we worked on those".

/jarmo

i think Duff meant that it wasnt all Axl like most people think and maybe the credits were distorted somewhat which it made it look like all the songs were axl's doing when in reality maybe izzy did most of the song and axl wrote maybe half the lyrics but GNR fans seem to wanna give axl more credit than izzy simply cause he is axl.

You don't know your math.Since when is 3 > 9?We "axl nutswingers" actually have some facts supporting our claims while you on the other hand are just giving izzy a handjob
I know for the most part who wrote what lyrics and? Izzy wrote lyrics for 3 songs on AFD.And writting credits wise,Izzy blew most of his percentages for AFD on his 3 songs,so his contribution on other stuff couldn't be very large,and by far not as much sa some of poster would like us to think

Duff is a pussy.To me it's like ringo saying "I have nothing but love for Lennon,he was the most wonderful
guy in the world,and oh yeah,I wrote Lucy in the sky with diamonds,and half of imagine"

I think I read 90 % of Duff's interviews and only in the last two months does he go into such detail about songwritting.
I guess he has some agenda,but since he's too chicken shit to tell who wrote what since he would only hurt himself, so he instead beats around the bushes to give an impression that Axl wasn't besides slash the main writting force in gnr.
? For me personally,I'd rather be much more remembered for my songwritting skills than
whether some guy thinks I'm an ok dude.

Perhaps Duff will shut his mouth if slash starts praising Duff for his songwritting abilities and not Axl?!

A month ago there was this great thread on metal sludge about who wrote what and in it guy clearly explained that axl has 42 % of AFD,and why lot of it is music

EDIT-I can't remember if it was 41 or 42 %
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 07:16:06 PM by nigtrain_inmyvain » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2004, 07:22:57 PM »

percentages can be distorted, u have to look at things this way

without slash and izzy we never wouldve had SCOM

that riff inspired axl to write those lyrics and that melody

without slash we never wouldve had Coma

without the music axl never wouldve had the canvas to create those lyrics and melodies

very rarely does someone write lyrics and sing em and then the music is created around that.

most of the time a band comes up with music and that inspires the lyrics and melodies

so on one hand u can say axl did this and this and this

but on the other hand, had the music not been written, axl wouldnt have had the canvas to create on.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2004, 07:29:43 PM »

D,I don't mean to get pissy,but for one thing,how can someone have a debate with you if you keep distorting the facts?Case in point,I'm shure you knew all along that Axl wrote most of the lyrics,and yet you gave credit for that? to Izzy

BTW-I should say 3 < 7 since axl had nothing to do with It's so easy

I wish I could find you the link to that thread on metal sludge,but in it guy clearly explained why Axl had to write a lot of music for AFD,if we are to believe gnr distributed amongst themself those percentages fairly

Even Matt said to axl the day he was fired that best songs in gnr were written by axl and slash and I think he knew better than you and me who wrote what

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2004, 07:40:43 PM »

im not disagreeing with u, axl does write the best and greatest lyrics but some GNR fans have this crazy illusion that Axl like sits over Slash and Izzy and Duff and tells them what to play etc etc and that is bullshit.

Axl wrote the lyrics and vocal melodies but when it came to guitars,bass, guitar solo's,melodies,drums  axl didnt have a thing to do with that but yet people give him more credit than say slash on SCOM

the intro and the solo's i love just as much as the lyrics and vocals in that song but yet axl gets all this tremendous love and credit like he did it all himself, like he dictated to slash what he wanted played and it isnt true.

the reason axl's percentage is so much higher than slash and izzy's is simply cause axl wrote lyrics and vocal melodies on virtually every song whereas SLash and Izzy split each others percentages cause they cowrote different songs with axl.

had slash wrote the music for all the songs on appetite his percentage wouldve been very close to Axl's but Izzy split the percentage by writing the music for other songs that slash didnt.

so even though axl's percentage is higher, if u combine slash and izzy's together u will end up with similiar percentages

im not gonna penalize izzy and slash because they are both great writers and each had about the same number of songs used instead of one guy writing every piece of music.

this isnt bashing axl he is great, probably my favorite vocalist and lyricist ever but just cause the old band is broke up it isnt fair to shit on the old members like they were a bunch of bumfucks who didnt carry their weight

i love axl the most out of all the members, i have a tattoo of his skull,hair and initials on my forearm which will be there the rest of my life but without the great music wrote by the band guns n roses wouldnt have been Guns N Roses

if axl had joined poison and had to sing over those riffs he wouldnt be the greatest frontman ever, i honestly believe that

GNR collectively fit together to create something unique, they complimented each other so well with their talents that they became one of the greatest bands ever

thats something u just cant place ads in the paper and replace the original members with just anyone and recreate, thats the main reason it has took axl so long to finish C.D. just tryin to recreate the magic, once that happens we will have CD

im not arguin i just dont want the accomplishments of the old band to be overlooked simply cause they arent around anymore.

CD will be great without the old band but that still doesnt change the significance of the old members contributions.

nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2004, 08:05:53 PM »

You still haven't answered about the fact that you knowingly lied by saying izzy wrote most of the lyrics.

someone correct me if I'm wrong,but as far as I remember vocal mellodies and lyrics were considered together and thus 15 percents included both lyrics and vocal mellodies

I know it doesn't prove anything but just think for a moment..
would Slash ever praise Axl as an amazing songwritter if he'd only come up only with lyrics?
Wouldn't he be praising him as only great lyricists(and btw,he once said he doesn't care for lyrics)?
I think he gets along with izzy much better...why wouldn't he praise his dear friend?Wouldn't that be easier especially if Izzy was the main songwritter?
Can you please answer me that D?

And besides,you mean to tell me that people capable of writting great lyrics lack in other areas(music wise)?Ahem,november rain(and I hate that song,but some of background mellodies are amazing)?

Axl wrote a lot of mellodies for songs on AFD with his piano,but I won't go into that again.Either you read the interview where he said that or you didn't
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 08:07:46 PM by nigtrain_inmyvain » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2004, 08:12:15 PM »

Duff is a pussy.To me it's like ringo saying "I have nothing but love for Lennon,he was the most wonderful
guy in the world,and oh yeah,I wrote Lucy in the sky with diamonds,and half of imagine"

Huh

Not at all, actually.  Its more like Ringo saying the lead singer of his current band was present during songwriting more than the lead singer of his previous band...

Yeah, thats actually more accurate than your analogy.
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »

not at all.What Duff said is left to an interpretation.Same as when he said "of course axl wrote songs and my world is one of my favs " . Now this could mean a lot of things to a lot of different people , just the way duff was prob hoping .You'd noticed that especially if you'd put his quote in a context of the last two months
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2004, 09:18:27 PM »

i never said izzy wrote most of the lyrics, show me where i said that, i said their contributions were just as significant as axl's but axl gets most of the credit
i said izzy wrote the lyrics to patience and i never knew that till here recently.

nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2004, 09:34:06 PM »

i never said izzy wrote most of the lyrics, show me where i said that, i said their contributions were just as significant as axl's but axl gets most of the credit
i said izzy wrote the lyrics to patience and i never knew that till here recently.

Ok,you said "maybe axl wrote half of the lyrics".Still,Izzy  didn't write damn near of half of the lyrics.

You also said perhaps izzy wrote most of the song(s?) minus lyrics...newsflash...if that was the case he wouldn't only have 20-25 % of AFD.Those percents just about cover the three songs he wrote on AFD

i said izzy wrote the lyrics to patience and i never knew that till here recently

one wonders how much else you don't know about who wrote what and yet you're arguing with me,the great bwana of who wrote what

« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 09:41:44 PM by nigtrain_inmyvain » Logged
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2004, 12:38:27 PM »

Newsflash to you, Izzy DID wrote most of the songs musically.
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 01:29:50 PM »

Newsflash to you, Izzy DID wrote most of the songs musically.

a brain fart gone wrong
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 01:34:57 PM by nigtrain_inmyvain » Logged
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2004, 02:52:09 PM »

Thank you
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2004, 03:12:38 PM »

Didn't they say on Behind the Music that Axl was rarely in the studio with the other band members for UYI?  I think that is what Duff is talking about. 

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2004, 03:20:18 PM »

That is exactly what Duff is talking about
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2004, 03:46:16 PM »

Didn't they say on Behind the Music that Axl was rarely in the studio with the other band members for UYI?? I think that is what Duff is talking about.?

Right ok
It's amazing how people can see what he's saying, instead some just turn it into something it really isn't.. They all said they had phone in sessions, even axl said he talks to slash by phone, hold that note carry this a little longer.. Axl sightings were few n far between..

Stop arguing people it's that simple, there's no hidden messages,.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 03:47:55 PM by mikegiuliana » Logged
jgfnsr
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2004, 12:48:56 PM »

Ha! I can just picture it.  Each time Slash, Duff or Matt opens their mouth, Axl jots their comments down in a little notebook to rip them a new one whenever his next on-stage rant will be.  hihi
realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2004, 08:08:56 PM »

Duff says Scott was around more than Axl during songwriting

Ok,my 2 cents.  Duff was around at all times same as the rest of the guys,you weren't.
so why don't you do me a favor and shut the hell up and end this stupid thread. rofl
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2004, 07:10:04 AM »

Here's my theory on the songwriting process in Guns n' Roses.

It goes without saying that since Slash and Izzy could play guitar and Axl couldn't, they wrote most of the instrumental parts. The songwriting credit system that Slash invented were divided into 4 parts; lyrical, melody, musically and arrangments. If I remeber correctly each of the categories were equal in value. If we take Axl's 40,2% share of AFD it would fit almost perfectly if he wrote all the lyrics and all the melodys (wich is common for a vocalist) and then the rest of the band would share the musical and arrangment parts. But the fact is Axl only wrote the lyrics and melodys for 8 and one third/fourth (he wrote the last verse on It's So Easy I think) of the songs on AFD, wich would leave him with about 34% of the royalties.

And this is where I think the importance of Axl in the band comes in. It's clear he didn't write much of the musical stuff, Slash and Izzy did for the most part. Then why does all the projects these guys have been involved in without Axl pretty much suck compared to what they did in Gn'R?

I think what's special about Axl is his ear for pulling the best parts out of an idea that others have written and that he has a unique way of making all these parts into a comprehensive song. Axl isn't a universal genius but he has a way of getting the guys he work with to write some really good stuff they wouldn't have written on their own.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2004, 07:16:32 AM »

i agree with most of that but slash wrote SCOM's riff on his own

ive been in bands where i had a guitarist who would write 10 different things but didnt know how to edit those ideas cohesively into a song and i would have to take what he wrote and dictate to him when to play what so the song would flow and make sense

so in some ways i think that is possible.

basically axl wrote vocals and melodies which gives higher percentages than just guitar

also izzy and slash didnt write 12 songs, where they each wrote songs they ended up splitting the guitar percentages since they both wrote.

darkmonth
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2004, 08:49:32 AM »

Here's my theory on the songwriting process in Guns n' Roses.

It goes without saying that since Slash and Izzy could play guitar and Axl couldn't, they wrote most of the instrumental parts. The songwriting credit system that Slash invented were divided into 4 parts; lyrical, melody, musically and arrangments. If I remeber correctly each of the categories were equal in value. If we take Axl's 40,2% share of AFD it would fit almost perfectly if he wrote all the lyrics and all the melodys (wich is common for a vocalist) and then the rest of the band would share the musical and arrangment parts. But the fact is Axl only wrote the lyrics and melodys for 8 and one third/fourth (he wrote the last verse on It's So Easy I think) of the songs on AFD, wich would leave him with about 34% of the royalties.

And this is where I think the importance of Axl in the band comes in. It's clear he didn't write much of the musical stuff, Slash and Izzy did for the most part. Then why does all the projects these guys have been involved in without Axl pretty much suck compared to what they did in Gn'R?

I think what's special about Axl is his ear for pulling the best parts out of an idea that others have written and that he has a unique way of making all these parts into a comprehensive song. Axl isn't a universal genius but he has a way of getting the guys he work with to write some really good stuff they wouldn't have written on their own.

You're all wrong.

The AFD royalties were split 5 ways equally with the exception of small royalties to external writers who ARE credited.  Do you not know that is why the UYI albums have the details?  Because there was a big hoo hah about it, and Axl etc wanted individual credits so things were split fairly.

Where it says Axl/Slash/Duff, that means Axl and Slash and Duff get 1/3 of the royalties for that particular peice of the album.  Etc etc.  It's how it worked.  I am sure I have read this in the past.  And not from Kerrang or Classic Rock type magazines Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: