Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Is Scott more famous now tahn he was while in STP?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Scott more famous now tahn he was while in STP?  (Read 7662 times)
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« on: December 01, 2004, 11:34:06 PM »

I think in the 90's Scott was kind of looked at as just another gunrge guy, rather undfairly as I never considered STP grunge. I think it's fair to say he didn't get as much attention as Cobain, Vedder, or even Cornell to some extent. Than for a while it seemed like he was only recognized for his problems. Now with VR doing well, and scott clean I think he is beocming much mmore prominent. Especially with the lack of quality rock groups out now a days, especially singers. He is the only front man out there now a days in the vein of Axl, or jagger, or tyler and I think he is ifnally being recognized for it.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 11:56:37 PM »

Scott was very famous in the old days, his debut sold nine million copied, core was huge..

He might be known more now because time has passed somore people know him..
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:10:34 AM »

yeah, STP was pretty huge.

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:02:19 AM »

Yeah back when Core came out, STP were huge, but as they went into their other albums mainly after Purple, they lost a lot of publicity mainly because around this time MTV quit playing rock music altogether.  If you remember they always showed the videos from Core.  But yeah I think he's more famous now, not only because of his problems with drugs right at the poing of VR forming, but the way he overcame it and went to the top again.  It's definitely a good story and I hope it has a happy ending.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 02:54:43 PM »

I had never heard of him until VR.
tophdaddy22
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:34:38 PM »

he has always been popular but now that he is clean and contraband is such an amazing album people are starting to realize how good of a singer and performer he is one of the best hands down
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 10:11:12 AM »

STP may have been big in the States, but people didn't know who Weiland was in Europe until he joined forces with the former gunners. Granted, VR is not so popular in Europe ( maybe in the UK, but not Southern europe) anyway, but his association with the huge star Slash, has risen up his cellebrity status.

STP ( a band I learned to appreciate more through the years) was no difference than any other american band that made it big in America but didn't on the other side of the ocean. Maybe lack of touring or promotion over here. I had always wanted to see them live, but they only toured over here and I was in America when that happened.

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 11:28:13 AM »

STP were never big over here - i don't think many people know who he is even know. I only knew of him through VR.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 12:33:44 PM »

STP may have been big in the States, but people didn't know who Weiland was in Europe until he joined forces with the former gunners. Granted, VR is not so popular in Europe ( maybe in the UK, but not Southern europe) anyway, but his association with the huge star Slash, has risen up his cellebrity status.

STP ( a band I learned to appreciate more through the years) was no difference than any other american band that made it big in America but didn't on the other side of the ocean. Maybe lack of touring or promotion over here. I had always wanted to see them live, but they only toured over here and I was in America when that happened.

velvet revolver are huge in the UK. Most of there venues on the upcoming tour sold out in the first 2 days!  ok

html sucks
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 02:36:50 PM »

Atleast from a US point of view, Weiland was much more popular in STP.  VR just hasn't done enough yet.  He could become very popular though with more albums and hits.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 08:43:55 AM »

I think because of his problems he was more famous as an individual in STP. "Scott Wieland from stone temple pilots" whereas now the band as a whole are more famous, not to mention the other members are famous in thier own right. Now its "Velvet revolver, fronted by Scott Wieland" if you get what I mean. Now he's famous for being in a famous band, whereas before he was famous for being Scott.
tp4ever84
Headliner

GNR For Fucking Ever

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 11:34:27 PM »

STP were huge in America and the local radio station 989thebear play them all the time probably once a hour at least.  Their first 4 albums are great but their last album wasn't very good at all.  They are still huge in the college crowd.  I don't know a single person that likes VR as much as they did STP or GNR.  VR blows their album proves it.
realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 01:20:19 AM »

He was 20 times more famous while he was in STP.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 01:50:14 AM »

STP will be played on rock stations probably for the next 30 years. Thats how great some STP songs were...and how bad rock music is today. Same with AFD. But i dont know if VR will ever get that big.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 01:52:22 AM by jabba2 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 06:54:00 AM »

i started diggin scott during the "sour girl" video, i love that song

i dont play cover songs but that it was one i actually learned to play sittin in a motel room in myrtle beach, i bought the mag and sit in my hotel room and learned it.

and the video kicked ass, i love frontmen who have no inhibitions and really move and work it on stage, and he is awesome!

so when i heard VR were gettin him i was like oh fuck yeah, now he is one of my fav front men of all time

so i guess i need to check out some STP stuff

i hate to admit it but ive only heard "creep" "vaseline" and parts of "sex type thing' and sour girl and the song before sour girl but for some reason i cant remember what it was called.

i guess im really missin out!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 07:30:07 AM »

i hate to admit it but ive only heard "creep" "vaseline" and parts of "sex type thing' and sour girl and the song before sour girl but for some reason i cant remember what it was called.

Huh

Pick up the Thank You CD/DVD immediately.  Then get the albums.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 02:20:35 PM »

I had never heard of him until VR.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

that's pretty shocking !

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 02:22:56 PM »

I live in Belgium and STP were pretty huge over here too, I remember watching Creep and Mtv unplugged millions of times.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 02:49:51 PM »

I live in Belgium and STP were pretty huge over here too, I remember watching Creep and Mtv unplugged millions of times.

They were popular with "Core", but after that they disappeared.

MTV seemed to lump them together with those "grunge" bands and played their videos in the early 90s.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 04:05:28 PM »

D!  Angry

get Purple and Tiny Music; those are their best efforts.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: