Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 07:29:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  More Duff on the songwriting thing..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Duff on the songwriting thing..  (Read 23874 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2004, 01:42:39 PM »

Fine then change the name, because guns n roses is know for certain types of music.. get it??

Get over the name already. You're not gonna make any "friends" here if you keep repeating the "but it's not GN'R? crying " routine.

A band doesn't have to stay the same all the time. There's no rule book for rock bands which says "stick to your format".

/jarmo

You make it sound like it's guns n roses switching format as the band grew, that isn't the case it's just axl who hired different musicians and they had different backgrounds then what we had become acustomed to..

Your opinion is just like mine, it's an opinion each fan can take it whatever way they like.. Some justify a 6 year wait while others think it's bull, everyone is entitled to their opinions.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2004, 02:26:06 PM »

Axl wanted to evolve, Slash didn't.

Easy as that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »

You make it sound like it's guns n roses switching format as the band grew, that isn't the case it's just axl who hired different musicians and they had different backgrounds then what we had become acustomed to..

Your opinion is just like mine, it's an opinion each fan can take it whatever way they like.. Some justify a 6 year wait while others think it's bull, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Oh yeah. Maybe you don?t have to wait for a bull and we don?t have to take on any bullies.

Bitter ones seem to have misunderstood something.
Is this your band? No, I don?t think so. This is the band of Axl and his friends. You don?t have any responsibility of this band but they do. You?re just an onlooker just bitching about others business.

Was this ex members band? Yes, it WAS. Not anymore. They?d left nearly a decade ago.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2004, 07:52:10 PM »

I'm not a bully, I'm rather a nice person if you knew me.. I have been a fan since afd came out, I have one gnr stuck inm my6 head, but I was and am more then willing to give the new band a chance.,. I didn't get floor seats and have a blast at msg on dec 5 for someone who didn't want to give teh new guys a chance,..

Wether anyone owes or doesn't owe or whatever I still get upset (me I me myself n I) that this is taking so long.. When you really want something it's only natural to get angry or annoyed because what you want isn't happening.. It's so close yet so far..

You're right it isn't my band, I just have the way teh band was in my head, you can't just erase that.. I have supported gnr sinc ethey started and will until it ends ,I just get frustrated and express my feeling because of the wait.. Right now for me going on gnr boards the only thing I wan tis cd, or a single, or a toue announcement.. Nothing else matters to me involing gnr..

I'm glad I have vr in my life, I love contraband and it's holding me over nicely an look forward to seeing them..

I was really let down and hurt when the gnr tour ended, a thought everything was goping to finally pan out, now it's two years later and everything seems so out there and nothing good seems to be happening, axl's missing.. I'm being honest, it sucks for me..

When I was a teen I thought gnr would last foreevr and become the best rock band ever..
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2004, 10:58:53 PM »

What was great about GNr was that they could make all types of songs that appealed to their fans. SOme liked the hard rockers, some liek the illusions, most like all. The hwole they should have stuck with their roots is pointless. GNR were huge because there music appealed to all kinds of people. Ballads, rockers, epics,etc.

As Jarmo stated Slash decided for some reason he didnt want to continue that process anymore. He wanted to keep it simple. ANd there is nothing wrong with that. Thats his choice. But that doesnt mean the whole fan base agrees with him.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2004, 11:42:04 PM »

He wanted to keep it simple.

Not necessarily...

Beside all the other reasons he (they) had to leave, he wasnt thrilled about the electronic elements.  I dont think he was opposed to ballads, or even epics, but rather "My World," "Oh My God," and "Silk Worms."  But youve convinced yourself that you know exactly why Slash left, so whatever...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2004, 12:36:25 AM »

Axl wanted to evolve, Slash didn't.

Easy as that.

/jarmo

I've have issues with the "evolution" theory.?

I've always felt Axl's musical vision was about 2 steps behind whatever was going on at the time, trying to keep the band relevent but always playing catch up and never in fact evolving.

Slash obviously did not believe In Axl's vision and felt it was in fact a step backwards, the quintessential case of musical differences if there ever was one.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2004, 12:57:42 AM »

I think Axl likes the longer more complex songs.  Slash and Duff loved playing the smaller venues and keeping it strictly hard rock with maybe a ballad or two thrown in for the fans.  I'm really looking forward to CD because it's going to be completely Axl and his views on everything over the last decade and beyond.  He wants this band to be bigger than anything else he's ever been involved in.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2004, 01:32:47 AM »

I've always felt Axl's musical vision was about 2 steps behind whatever was going on at the time, trying to keep the band relevent but always playing catch up and never in fact evolving.

Slash obviously did not believe In Axl's vision and felt it was in fact a step backwards, the quintessential case of musical differences if there ever was one.

I agree...its really not as simple as "Axl wanted to evolve, Slash didnt."

Evolution is a gradual process.  Listen to how gradual the transition from "Dont Cry" to "My World" was.  Bottom line is GNR was rooted in Aerosmith-style rock.  Thats where they all came from, and thats where they were at the bands height.  You could say they evolved on UYI, because while many of the songs featured new dimensions, the general style was similar to their earlier work.  It was still basically hard rock.  Yeah, Axl pulled out the pianos and synths (under protest Im sure), but nothing extreme.

What Axl evetually wanted was not an evolution, but a revolution in GNRs sound.  Considering the style GNR are known for, the switch to electronic, Nine Inch Nails-inspired music is a radical one, not a gradual one.  And obviously the rest of the band didnt share that vision.  So to simply call it "evolution" is an understatement, in my opinion.  Theres a fundamental difference in Aerosmith (or even Queen)-style rock and Nine Inch Nails/White Zombie-style rock.  Its a direction that Slash and the others werent comfortable with, and rightfully so. 

So yeah, it was creative differences.  It was also a ton of other, inside shit that destroyed the band, which dispels the "Easy as that" assertion.  The ex-members have said publicly that they encouraged Axl to pursue his electronic ambitions outside of GNR, which seems like a very logical compromise.  Saying "Axl wanted to evolve" is certainly sympathetic to Axl, but one could just as easily say "Axl wanted to change the bands sound."  It doesnt sound as nice, but its probably more accurate.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2004, 08:25:14 AM »

Ok Booker, "musical differences".

Ever heard that been used before when describing why a band broke up?  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2004, 08:48:56 AM »

Evolution is a gradual process.? Listen to how gradual the transition from "Dont Cry" to "My World" was.? Bottom line is GNR was rooted in Aerosmith-style rock.? Thats where they all came from, and thats where they were at the bands height.? You could say they evolved on UYI, because while many of the songs featured new dimensions, the general style was similar to their earlier work.? It was still basically hard rock.? Yeah, Axl pulled out the pianos and synths (under protest Im sure), but nothing extreme.

What Axl evetually wanted was not an evolution, but a revolution in GNRs sound.? Considering the style GNR are known for, the switch to electronic, Nine Inch Nails-inspired music is a radical one, not a gradual one.? And obviously the rest of the band didnt share that vision.? So to simply call it "evolution" is an understatement, in my opinion.? Theres a fundamental difference in Aerosmith (or even Queen)-style rock and Nine Inch Nails/White Zombie-style rock.? Its a direction that Slash and the others werent comfortable with, and rightfully so.?

So yeah, it was creative differences.? It was also a ton of other, inside shit that destroyed the band, which dispels the "Easy as that" assertion.? The ex-members have said publicly that they encouraged Axl to pursue his electronic ambitions outside of GNR, which seems like a very logical compromise.? Saying "Axl wanted to evolve" is certainly sympathetic to Axl, but one could just as easily say "Axl wanted to change the bands sound."? It doesnt sound as nice, but its probably more accurate.
I've have issues with the "evolution" theory. 

Evolution is a gradual process. Listen to how gradual the transition from "Dont Cry" to "My World" was. Bottom line is GNR was rooted in Aerosmith-style rock. Thats where they all came from, and thats where they were at the bands height. You could say they evolved on UYI, because while many of the songs featured new dimensions, the general style was similar to their earlier work. It was still basically hard rock. Yeah, Axl pulled out the pianos and synths (under protest Im sure), but nothing extreme.

What Axl evetually wanted was not an evolution, but a revolution in GNRs sound. Considering the style GNR are known for, the switch to electronic, Nine Inch Nails-inspired music is a radical one, not a gradual one. And obviously the rest of the band didnt share that vision. So to simply call it "evolution" is an understatement, in my opinion. Theres a fundamental difference in Aerosmith (or even Queen)-style rock and Nine Inch Nails/White Zombie-style rock. Its a direction that Slash and the others werent comfortable with, and rightfully so.

So yeah, it was creative differences. It was also a ton of other, inside shit that destroyed the band, which dispels the "Easy as that" assertion. The ex-members have said publicly that they encouraged Axl to pursue his electronic ambitions outside of GNR, which seems like a very logical compromise. Saying "Axl wanted to evolve" is certainly sympathetic to Axl, but one could just as easily say "Axl wanted to change the bands sound." It doesnt sound as nice, but its probably more accurate.

Wow ! That was a totally fair and balanced observation regarding that issue. Respect man, you wrote down what I've been thinking for a long time, but I just diden't manage to articulate myself as good as you just did. I agree 100%

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2004, 09:15:29 AM »

Evolution is a gradual process.? Listen to how gradual the transition from "Dont Cry" to "My World" was.? Bottom line is GNR was rooted in Aerosmith-style rock.? Thats where they all came from, and thats where they were at the bands height.? You could say they evolved on UYI, because while many of the songs featured new dimensions, the general style was similar to their earlier work.? It was still basically hard rock.? Yeah, Axl pulled out the pianos and synths (under protest Im sure), but nothing extreme.

What Axl evetually wanted was not an evolution, but a revolution in GNRs sound.? Considering the style GNR are known for, the switch to electronic, Nine Inch Nails-inspired music is a radical one, not a gradual one.? And obviously the rest of the band didnt share that vision.? So to simply call it "evolution" is an understatement, in my opinion.? Theres a fundamental difference in Aerosmith (or even Queen)-style rock and Nine Inch Nails/White Zombie-style rock.? Its a direction that Slash and the others werent comfortable with, and rightfully so.?

So yeah, it was creative differences.? It was also a ton of other, inside shit that destroyed the band, which dispels the "Easy as that" assertion.? The ex-members have said publicly that they encouraged Axl to pursue his electronic ambitions outside of GNR, which seems like a very logical compromise.? Saying "Axl wanted to evolve" is certainly sympathetic to Axl, but one could just as easily say "Axl wanted to change the bands sound."? It doesnt sound as nice, but its probably more accurate.

Very well put.. When I first heard oh my god I thought it was a drastic change from what we knew gnr to be..Same goes with silkworms, it's just not the gnr music most of us came to like.. As you said even with the addition of the piano and so on it was still gnr sounding and rock n roll, still on the level of queen n aerosmtih, which is cool because those were/are gnr's influences..

I personally hope that those songs were just a phase and that since oh my god wasn't a hit that axl redid songs to more of what he did in the past..
Nobody knows what the album will sound like or anything of that nature but if they did go in a rob zombie, nins type direction it wouldn't be for me, I actually liked white zombie.. Just let white zombie nin do their thing and we will always have that option for that type of rock, but I would rather gnr do what they do and stay on the hard rock past with the same influences..
Also axl is an individual so why go down a path of someone that came after you..
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2004, 09:27:58 AM »

i assumed "oh my god" as a "garden of eden" type of song. and way better than "garden of eden".
"oh my god" could very easily be on UYI on my point of view, although it's a lot heavier than must stuff on those albums.
but it's a very interesting song - the drums are probably the best ever on any Gn'R track, the bass line is also insane, the guitars are killers, the lyrics are typical Axl, and i just hope it sounds better on any future release production-wise, since the "end of days" version was a demo.
i don't ear anything "industrial" on that song. it's more a Metal song for me, with some modern touches. Definitly Gn'R!
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2004, 09:38:03 AM »

yes,oh my god is great song.
and it's very heavy song,and for me that song =right next door to hell and garden of eden

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2004, 09:52:43 AM »

Not necessarily...

Beside all the other reasons he (they) had to leave, he wasnt thrilled about the electronic elements.? I dont think he was opposed to ballads, or even epics, but rather "My World," "Oh My God," and "Silk Worms."?
Weird. Here, on topic, ?Duff stated that he likes "My World".
So do I. ?And "Oh MY God" is my favorite. Great.

Surely, most people prefer evolution to revolution. But Rock n' roll used to be revolutions or mutations in music.

I'm not a bully, I'm rather a nice person if you knew me..

I know you?re a good fella. Wink
I was talking to the evil spirit you're possessed with.
It plagues good men like you with anxiousness and yearning for the Restoration.
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2004, 10:00:26 AM »

All this discution about evolution made me thinking about spinal tap .... they've lost a drummer or two ... sang the flower people in the 70s and Big Bottom in the 80s... I just can't remember when "Stonehenge" was written ....  rofl

Just to say once more that this endless debate about the name of the band and so on is stale and I can't figure out why we're still debating it. It just feels like we're really discussing about Spinal Tap here .... they deserve better.

The force ... the force ...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2004, 10:05:21 AM »

All this discution about evolution made me thinking about spinal tap .... they've lost a drummer or two ... sang the flower people in the 70s and Big Bottom in the 80s... I just can't remember when "Stonehenge" was written ....? rofl

Just to say once more that this endless debate about the name of the band and so on is stale and I can't figure out why we're still debating it. It just feels like we're really discussing about Spinal Tap here .... they deserve better.

funny.. I think everyone talks about these issues because there really isn't a stone that hasn't been turned on gnr topics n ew n old already so it always seesm to come back to these type of issues..

I started visiting forums after the vmas and alot of those topics were beat to death, I guess with the lack of news and playing th blame game these topics come back into rotation..
Once the album comes out and something happens these topics will never be brought up again..

Sometimes I think every gnr forum should be a read only until something worthy of discussion surfaces because these topics get recycled all the time and people disagree..
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2004, 10:17:16 AM »

All this discution about evolution made me thinking about spinal tap .... they've lost a drummer or two ... sang the flower people in the 70s and Big Bottom in the 80s... I just can't remember when "Stonehenge" was written ....? rofl

funny.. I think everyone talks about these issues because there really isn't a stone that hasn't been turned on gnr topics n ew n old already so it always seesm to come back to these type of issues..

I started visiting forums after the vmas and alot of those topics were beat to death, I guess with the lack of news and playing th blame game these topics come back into rotation..
Once the album comes out and something happens these topics will never be brought up again..

Sometimes I think every gnr forum should be a read only until something worthy of discussion surfaces because these topics get recycled all the time and people disagree..

I agree but it's ok to disagree on the issue and let it rest. I'm an admin at French GT and an active member at gnrfrance forum and eventually, after some pretty heavy fights, members agreed to disagree and not to end up every thread about gnr with the name issue.
And when a newbie comes w/ the issue it's like an old joke and most of us jus go w/ "oh no, not again" type of answer.  Wink But you know I'm still here reading the thread that tells a lot about my mental state !  Wink Grin

The force ... the force ...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2004, 11:08:46 AM »

Yeah I love the newbie questions... I gues it's a first time for someone..
I have to ask with the French gnr fan forums how many members are there..? I only know english speaking forums..
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2004, 12:04:57 PM »

I gues it's a first time for someone..

hihi

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: