Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Fall To Pieces a Top 40 Hit in the U.K.?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fall To Pieces a Top 40 Hit in the U.K.?  (Read 2715 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« on: October 21, 2004, 03:20:48 PM »

I saw this posted in the main news:

Velvet Revolver's "Fall To Pieces" entered the UK Top 40 at #32.

Does anyone have a link that shows the UK Charts?  I'm a little suprised by that, it's great though.  Does anyone think they still have a shot of Fall To Pieces making a dent on the Billboard chart?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:34:34 PM »

I don't know if they're selling many singles, I also see people from the uk saying it's not played much.. I don't know how true it is... I know the video is doing very well on all the big countdown..

Also from my point of view I don't see a need to buy singles these days... With revolver the album contraband is out for a while before these singles are available.. I don't see it making the billboard charts and even if it did it would just crack the chart.. I could be wrong..

I'll tell you one thing, some group like Hoobastank who is young and geared towards young girls like many bands are today make these charts with songs like "the reason".. After saying that I feel Velvet Revolver is just a group of older guys who will not get that young female fan base even though if they were a hoobastank type clone band in every way Fall to Pieces would be a huge hit.. I think guys are more likely to download music, women go out and buy it..

So being revolver doesn't fit the look for younger fans I feel no matter how good their music is they will get shut down in the high selling single market..They won't get the recognition because they're older, and have this supergroup label..

If a band like yellow card. simple plan, hoobastank, good charlotte released contraband they would be on trl, or whatever getting some credit for a very good rock album...

I drifted, I would like to see the usa/uk top 100 chart, and the 100 album chart as well..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 04:44:32 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/top40/index.shtml

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 05:12:10 PM »

Do you have the states, and the top 100 albums?

I noticed manson, he's nothing here anymore, and robbie williams is in the same space as manson...It's amazing how music taste differs, I hear everyone saying oasis is huge all over, but in america they were almost like two hitters in the 90's and have never been heard from again..
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:02:38 PM »

I think 32 is very poor considering it's not just pop acts who get to No.1 in the UK.  Crap 'Rock' acts like Limp Bizkit & Evanescene have achieved No.1's, i'm guessing it's lack of promotion or something i thought it would do much better since it's not an all out rocker like Slither, thought with being a bit of a ballad it would have made top 20.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 06:04:58 PM »

Thanks for posting that jarmo....

Just thought I'd point out that "Rhian Benson - Say How I Feel" has the Fall To Pieces artwork next to it's name (27).  At least that's what it's showing right now, check it out before someone fixes it!
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:31:14 AM »

how do they make this chart?
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 09:47:29 AM »

At least it made it onto the chart.

Did Slither make it on the U.K chart or was that only U.S?

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 06:30:12 PM »

The official UK singles chart is compiled purely by sales.

Back In Power
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 06:34:49 PM »

just lokoed at uk album chart Cry contraband aint in top 40 - ud think it would be with the single promo?Huh

Back In Power
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 09:40:05 AM »

There has been absolutely no promotion for VR in the UK at all. No TV ads, no radio promotion. The only thing I've seen is the staple articles in various rock/guitar magazines etc.

I've heard Slither on the radio twice, both times during graveyard shift rock shows, and I've yet to hear FTP on the radio. Unlike the US, the UK doesn't really have any mainstream FM rock radio stations. There is rock radio over here, but it's generally only accessible through satellite TV.

The chart is based on sales yes, but those sales are heavily influenced by BBC Radio 1's playlist, which never in a million years would feature a band like VR. Even if Axl ever releases Chinese Democracy, I severly doubt that any singles from it will make their playlist. It's all bubblegum pop, Rap/Hip-Hop/RNB whatever you want to call it, fucking dance/trance music and Robbie Williams. They love Oasis as well.

I think I remember VR peaking at no. 11 on the album charts when CB was released, then they fell off the radar. Where the singles chart is full of Pop Idol produced, manufactured shit, and edlessly annoying dance music, the album chart is usually full of whiney, grungy student-orientated, NME ass kissing bands (such as Keane, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand etc.)

The bottom line is, rock music is long dead in this country. Fans of bands such as VR just need to dig a little deeper than the mainstream to find what they are looking for.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: