Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 11:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228136 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Prince
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince  (Read 83731 times)
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2007, 07:12:11 AM »

he doesnt actually have a thread just set for him. just threads on particular events, so perhaps merge them into this.

Anyhow, how awesome is the solo for purple rain?

it totally makes the song

html sucks
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »

Prince fuckin' rules. A ton of people have misconceptions about him cause he's a strange guy. Amazing songwriter tho, and probably the most prolific of our time. Also, on a lot of his recordings he'll play every single instrument and he can solo like a motherfucker.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
CSS
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »

I've never really listened to Prince.

But I remember seeing him perform the song "Fury" on Saturday Night Live...

It fucking ripped, I'll tell you that.
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2007, 03:00:44 AM »

Prince threatens to sue his fans over online images

Owen Gibson, media correspondent
Wednesday November 7, 2007
The Guardian

He's a singer who has made some odd career moves in his time, from changing his name to an unpronounceable love symbol to scrawling "slave" on his cheek in protest at his record company.

But industry experts yesterday warned that Prince's latest decision might be the most controversial of all.

He has threatened to sue thousands of his biggest fans for breach of copyright, provoking an angry backlash and claims of censorship.

His lawyers have forced his three biggest internet fansites to remove all photographs, images, lyrics, album covers and anything linked to the artist's likeness. A legal letter asks the fansites to provide "substantive details of the means by which you propose to compensate our clients [Paisley Park Entertainment Group, NPG Records and AEG] for damages".

Article continues
The singer himself is believed to take a close interest in unofficial use of his image and music, monitoring websites from his sprawling Paisley Park studio complex in Minneapolis.

A coalition named Prince Fans United, representing Housequake.com, Princefans.com and Prince.org, has been formed by the website organisers to fight back. They said they would contest the action on the basis that it was an attempt "to stifle all critical commentary about Prince". They added that the "cease and desist" notices went as far as calling for the removal of pictures taken by fans of their Prince tattoos and their vehicles carrying Prince-inspired licence plates.

"It's a really short-sighted and futile move," said Nicola Slade, editor of the industry newsletter Record of the Day. "Prince has got a lot of fans and as he's decided to take a more leftfield approach to releasing his material, he should be nurturing the relationship. I'm shocked, really."

The singer had been considered to be in the vanguard of efforts by some artists to cut record labels out of the equation and forge their own relationships with fans through the web and live concerts, having been one of the first to sell music directly to fans via his website.

He recently completed a 21-night residency at London's O2 arena, effortlessly mixing up the setlist each night to draw on a rich back catalogue that includes Purple Rain, Raspberry Beret, Kiss and Sign o' the Times, and was lauded for a genius marketing move in giving away his CD to concertgoers and with copies of the Mail on Sunday.

Alex Burmaster, an analyst at Nielsen Online, said: "It's a paradox that a musician who has done so much to bring himself closer to his fans, particularly with his 'them and us' crusade against the record labels, should be engaging in a course of action that effectively removes the raison d'etre of fansites.

"But it's the mark of the man who always goes against the grain that he should be doing this at a time when other artists and their labels are suddenly embracing the social media phenomenon."

In 1993, amid a bitter dispute with the record label, Prince changed his name to an unpronounceable "love symbol" as a step towards his "ultimate goal of emancipation from the chains" that he said tied him to Warner Bros.

Yesterday's move follows an earlier declaration of war on copyrighted material hosted by web giants such as YouTube and eBay.

In September, he appointed the internet company Web Sheriff to police the removal of up to 2,000 clips from YouTube. Web Sheriff managing director, John Giacobbi, said at the time that the singer wanted "to create a template for other artists". "Prince doesn't really want to go around suing people - he'd much rather people just respected his rights. He will be victorious," he said.

Controversy followed this decision, too, when a mother from Pennsylvania posted a clip of her baby dancing to his 1984 hit Let's Go Crazy and Prince's lawyers demanded it was taken down.

Lawyers at the Electronic Frontier Foundation have vowed to contest the claim on her behalf, saying the song is hardly audible and constitutes fair use.

By going after the Google-owned YouTube, Prince was merely following the lead of a handful of other big rights owners - including MTV-owner Viacom, the estate of Elvis Presley and the Premier League - that believe the video sharing site makes advertising revenue off the back of their copyrighted content. But while some artists have resorted to the law in an attempt to persuade websites or internet providers to remove pirated songs and there have been disputes over lyrics, most decided long ago that it was counterproductive to attempt to get fans to remove images and album covers.

"You can get things taken down, the legal tools are there to do it," said Caroline Kean, a partner at the law firm Wiggin. "The reason people don't is partly practical, because there are so many images, but also due to the bad publicity you get from going after your biggest fans. Most people soon realised it was counter-productive."

A spokeswoman for the fans' campaign said the sites had always tried to work with Prince's management. But it appeared that Prince wanted to edit his past and there was "no sign" of his lawyers backing down, she said. "He's trying to control the internet 100% and you can't do that without infringing people's freedom of speech," she added.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2206460,00.html

ok youtube i understand.......but now this is getting ridiculous.

i am shocked by this. this just seems backwards to what he was doing before with the album distribution.

Huh
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2007, 05:07:25 AM »

has he lost his mind?

html sucks
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2007, 11:45:38 AM »

The unpronounceable love symbol has taken over his brain.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »

U see now why Jarmo has to respect Axl's wishes.

Cause if u piss the artist off enough, He can shut u the fuck down.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mallrat
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »

prince needs to step out of prince world.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2008, 06:25:48 PM »

wow, just motherfucking wow at this

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2941251

i dont know if people without myspace can view, but myspace is the only place you can find prince videos online now.

but look, its tom petty and prince together covering while my guitar gently weeps.

just wait until prince comes in with his solo. Its one seriously amazing piece of playing!

html sucks
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2008, 08:45:06 PM »

i dont know if people without myspace can view, but myspace is the only place you can find prince videos online now.

but look, its tom petty and prince together covering while my guitar gently weeps.

just wait until prince comes in with his solo. Its one seriously amazing piece of playing!

yeah thats one of the best live performances i've seen ever. i think it was at the rock n roll hall of fame in 2004. Jeff Lyne is also in the perfomance.  i'm pretty sure i posted this earlier in the thread. i love how prince is so into it that he almost falls over backwards off the stage but the security card holds him up. crazy.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2008, 12:40:12 AM »

yeah thats one of the best live performances i've seen ever. i think it was at the rock n roll hall of fame in 2004. Jeff Lyne is also in the perfomance.  i'm pretty sure i posted this earlier in the thread. i love how prince is so into it that he almost falls over backwards off the stage but the security card holds him up. crazy.

That was pretty sweet! 

To more serious Prince fans...on which album are those considerable guitar talents most on display?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2008, 05:45:16 AM »

That was pretty sweet! 

To more serious Prince fans...on which album are those considerable guitar talents most on display?

ive been listening to some and i havent found albums where he really lets his guitar rip.

he does do some cool stuff on purple rain but still nothing compared to what he can do.

i also listned to some greatest hits, and there was a song on there called cream, that seemed a bit more stripped down and you could hear the guitar more upfront, so maybe the album that that is off will have more guitar showcasing , as i find his guitar often gets lost in the mix on other albums as  the keyboards n drums drown it out a little bit.

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »

Albums that are guitar oriented are:

1. Purple Rain
2. Graffitti Bridge
3. Gold Experience *awesome solos*
4. Chaos and Disorder
5. Rave in2 The Joy Fantastic

Download a song called "Peach"  Has some cool solos

The song "Guitar" off his new album also has some good solos.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »

ive been listening to some and i havent found albums where he really lets his guitar rip.

he does do some cool stuff on purple rain but still nothing compared to what he can do.

i also listned to some greatest hits, and there was a song on there called cream, that seemed a bit more stripped down and you could hear the guitar more upfront, so maybe the album that that is off will have more guitar showcasing , as i find his guitar often gets lost in the mix on other albums as  the keyboards n drums drown it out a little bit.

Albums that are guitar oriented are:

1. Purple Rain
2. Graffitti Bridge
3. Gold Experience *awesome solos*
4. Chaos and Disorder
5. Rave in2 The Joy Fantastic

Download a song called "Peach"  Has some cool solos

The song "Guitar" off his new album also has some good solos.

Thanks, both of you, for the suggestions!   peace

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »

I think the coolest thing about Prince's playing is he kind of doesn't let the guitar go crazy, he adds just what's necessary.

Check out his acoustic sets he did during the musicology tour.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »

Freedom', check out "Peach."

That's a killer rock song ok

Edit: D beat me to it! hihi
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:59:52 PM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »

This guy rocks. Hadn't heard shit until a couple of days ago. A bunch of great tunes.

I'd recommend him to anyone who likes music a bit out of the ordinary.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »

i love the song "cream"

creammm sha boogey bop

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »

Is Graffiti Bridge actually a proper Prince album, just alot of the songs mainly have other people singing/rapping on it.

Other George Clintons appearance, id rather just Hear prince doing lead vocals most the time so its a tad dissappointing cause the music on it is great.

i love thieves in the temple.

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »

Is Graffiti Bridge actually a proper Prince album, just alot of the songs mainly have other people singing/rapping on it.

Other George Clintons appearance, id rather just Hear prince doing lead vocals most the time so its a tad dissappointing cause the music on it is great.

i love thieves in the temple.

Thieves In the Temple is the follow up to "Purple Rain"

The movie Purple rain had tons of great music that wasnt on the soundtrack and I think Prince regretted that in a way. U had a few really great morris Day and The Time tracks that wouldve made that soundtrack even more classic.

So for Thieves, he pretty much included his music and everyone else that had a song in the movie onto the official movie soundtrack.

Listen to "Still Would Stand All Time" on the thieves in the temple album

Although one of the greatest prince songs ever also appears on this album its called "Joy In repetition"

Album track is great, if u can find a live version its even better cause he goes off with a massively awesome solo.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: