Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could Axl write an album by himself?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Axl write an album by himself?  (Read 5317 times)
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« on: October 16, 2004, 09:22:22 PM »

Tommy has often mentioned how much different Axl is from his old bandmate Paul Westerberg, in that Axl is very collaborative in the creative process. At first I thought how cool that was, Axl letting the other guys be involved. But the more I think about it, could Axl actually even write an entire album without help from other musicians? He's actually kind of depending on them, isn't he?

When you think about it, the only instrument Axl can play is the piano, and by his own admission his piano playing is very minimalist. Even the big "Axl songs" (November Rain n' Estranged chief among them) written on piano are not necessarily great compositions if you take away his vocals and the contributions of Slash/Izzy/et al. They are good, but not breathtaking musically on their own (imagine listening to a strictly piano version of Estranged or NR, minus guitar and vocals.... probably not too exceptional).

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

I've seen enough.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 09:24:14 PM »

Tommy has often mentioned how much different Axl is from his old bandmate Paul Westerberg, in that Axl is very collaborative in the creative process. At first I thought how cool that was, Axl letting the other guys be involved. But the more I think about it, could Axl actually even write an entire album without help from other musicians? He's actually kind of depending on them, isn't he?

When you think about it, the only instrument Axl can play is the piano, and by his own admission his piano playing is very minimalist. Even the big "Axl songs" (November Rain n' Estranged chief among them) written on piano are not necessarily great compositions if you take away his vocals and the contributions of Slash/Izzy/et al. They are good, but not breathtaking musically on their own (imagine listening to a strictly piano version of Estranged or NR, minus guitar and vocals.... probably not too exceptional).

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

Not true, Axl can always play guitar and very well according to Gary Sunshine.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 09:29:22 PM »

I can play guitar too (hardly, but I can strum a few cords), so can a lot of people. But we can't write good music on guitar. There must be a reason he's so painstaking about utilizing all the members writing process.

I've seen enough.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 09:32:16 PM »

if you are asking if Axl is Prince then No he cant.

Axl u can tell by how he played madagascar at rir3 that he is a piano player playing guitar, just the way he made the chords and his form etc.

there is nothing wrong with having great musicians to help you out, axl's voice and lyrics more than make up for his inability to master a great volume of instruments

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 09:42:38 PM »

Gary said of Axls guitar playing something to the effect that even tho he was been just playing for a few years he sounds llike someone who has been playing for much longer or something like that.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 09:48:06 PM »

Gary said of Axls guitar playing something to the effect that even tho he was been just playing for a few years he sounds llike someone who has been playing for much longer or something like that.

That's pretty cool, if he's that good...

Do you have any source for this, by any chance?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 11:02:46 PM »

But we're expecting huge things from CD. What I'm asking is, if CD is .5 as good as everyone hopes it is, will it be due to the talent of Axl, or the people he hired?

I've seen enough.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 12:52:26 AM »

No, I don't think he is capable but like D said there is nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of bands out there that rely on the sum of it's parts rather than one great songwriter. It doesn't make me respect those musicians who need others any less.
estranged.1098
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 01:19:10 AM »

But we're expecting huge things from CD. What I'm asking is, if CD is .5 as good as everyone hopes it is, will it be due to the talent of Axl, or the people he hired?

I think the original question you made was: "would a solo album by Axl Rose be any good?"

We won't find that out, at least with Chinese Democracy. From what the guys are saying the songs are written mainly by all of them, so the quality of the album will be a reflection of their skills. All of them.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 01:25:43 AM »

No.
Is Axl capable of doing that? Perhaps - but he never would, and wouldn't be comfortable putting himself in that position.
While he is an incredible talent, I believe he's the kind of guy who likes to focus mainly on his own role as lead singer, and preoccupies himself with helping others to construct the songs that he feels proud to sing and is willing to back it up 110% in his efforts. He may perform some instruments on the side, but only when he feels that it adds to the feel of a record or a song (such as his guitar on "Dead Horse" or the synthesizer on "Paradise City".
I think he feels it better when he has talented musicians around him with their own influences and tastes and techniques. He then can "shop" different sounds rather than having  to bring it out of himself. I think he also likes havinng other opinions in the composition of the music. He would never force a musician to play something that he didn;t ultimately like or was proud of, though he does have an encouraging rlole to have players dig deep in themselves to find the right music for the right melodies and songs and lyrics.

Funny thing is that despite the changes in GNR's personnel, the technique in making the albums hasn't really changed from AFD, except maybe in the kinds of instruments now being brought to the table.
 crying
MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
November Rain 91
Headliner

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 02:08:36 AM »

Axl's piano playing on extended November Rain in Live Era and on the Tokyo DVDs was absolutely amazing. Those don't seem to be very minimal skills to me. But, if he said it himself, who knows. I think he could do well enough on his own, but why would he want to?

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 03:16:44 AM »

That's pretty cool, if he's that good...

Do you have any source for this, by any chance?

I read something similar to that in a 1996 interview with Sorum talking about the new album they were making in the studio(Slash and Duff were still in the band). Matt said that Axl might be playing rhythm on the album and that he plays as if hes been playing for 10 years.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 03:22:37 AM »

one reason he couldnt would be guitar solos, i dont think he could pull off the solos

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 11:03:07 AM »

one reason he couldnt would be guitar solos, i dont think he could pull off the solos

Almost anyone can learn how to play guitar, but it doesn't mean they'd be good players. The ones who start to play a new instrument when they are adults (25, 30, 40 years old), and this instrument is really different from the previous one they know (like guitar vs. piano), these people will be only some third-class players. It's not because they aren't talented, but you have to start things to learn when it's the right time. So Axl will never be even a mediocre guitar player, but his guitar playing can be improved, so he'll understand much better how a guitarist thinks, and he can create some riffs (I think he can write much better riffs than Josh Freese's(?) Chinese Democracy intro). But Axl as a lead guitarist? No way.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 11:09:39 AM »

"Imagine" from John Lennon is not hard at all to play in the piano. Doesnt take away the fact that it is a great song. If you want really complicated playing and shit go listen to Ingwie Malmsteen.
(most boring guitar player ever, and he is an awesome technical player).

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 12:20:59 PM »

Ingwie Malmsteen.
(most boring guitar player ever, and he is an awesome technical player).

Yngwie is awesome and because of "Rising Force" deserves a spot among the best guitarplayers ever, both in a technical and musical fashion. Maybe after that he never achieved this brilliance ever again, but hey the same thing can be said for the things all (ex)members of the original GNR are doing nowadays.

Before you call him boring make sure you spell his name right.

-PEACE-

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2004, 04:12:13 PM »

Why would anyone expect Axl to do an album entirely by himself??

Oh,and the piano-only demo version of November Rain is great.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2004, 04:33:29 PM »

Oh,and the piano-only demo version of November Rain is great.

It could be all Piano ala Billy Joel or Elton John.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 05:28:43 PM »

I wouldn?t. I always prefer Band efforts to solos.
Perhaps it's because I enjoy the outcome of interactions between different individuals.
I may find listening to music to judge and compare each players "talent" very entertaining when the music is dull.

Off topic, Precisely speaking, I doubt anyone can make an album(for sale) single-handedly. It involves many other people and relies on the technology accumulation.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 05:39:24 PM »

I wouldn?t. I always prefer Band efforts to solos.
Perhaps it's because I enjoy the outcome of interactions between different individuals.
I may find listening to music to judge and compare each players "talent" very entertaining when the music is dull.

Off topic, Precisely speaking, I doubt anyone can make an album(for sale) single-handedly. It involves many other people and relies on the technology accumulation.

Billy corgan did it with SP, Trent with NIN and Dave Grohel on the first foo album.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: