Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why axl is in a no win situation in reguards to chinese democracy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why axl is in a no win situation in reguards to chinese democracy  (Read 3752 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: October 15, 2004, 07:13:14 PM »

If chinese democracy sells great the bashers are going to claim its not because its a great album or because its Axls first album since 1993, but because he is still using the guns n roses name and the name is what sold all the albums.

If chinese democracy bombs, they these same people are going to claim that Axl has ruined the guns n roses name and he never should have kept the name etc etc.

So even if axl suceeds like we all think he will do, the same usual suspects are going to claim its not because of Axl but because he kept the name.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 07:17:43 PM »

He's in a no win situation for sure, much to his own doing and some with no fault to him whatsoever, but still a no win.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:22:57 PM »

I completely agree...aside from maybe one or two music critics (Rolling Stone, and Kurt Loder at MtV)...nobody will give this record a fair shot....it will be judged souly on the name guns n roses...success or failure...but them's the risks Axl took when he bought the name and went into this tumultous reinvention now over 10 years long...and he will be stuck with the judgement...but fuck the haters and the critics, if it ever comes out, it will have exceeded so many of my expectations already...and if it's as phenomenal as those select few who have heard material say it is...well then it's just icing on the fucking cake.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
axlrose_7
Headliner

I Rock

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 10:26:09 PM »

I agree with you. But I guess we all knew that by now.

Guns n' Roses fans have never cared about what other people think, while we enjoy seein' our favorite band/guys kicking the fuck outta the music. So why start caring about what critics/newspapers say now?

My words may disturb but at least there's a reaction
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 10:51:38 PM »

Of course the name will sell albums...he is no retard, thats why he's using it. I promise this same project under "the axl Rose solo band" and not GNR doesn't garner a smigeon of the hype it has thus far. He would have to overcome the same rebuilding grass roots campaign VR has. He has a built in name brand with tremendous brand equity and recognition. To think otherwise is just being naive or having your head burried in the sand.

That said, he has brought all of his problems on himself. There is no one to blame but himself. He should have never come out of hibernation if he had no intention of releasing an album. Or if he did want to come back, he should have made sure it would be ready within 6 months of said date. This stop and go, 1 off, revolving band member stuff has made the band look like an unorganized joke. He could have done things much differently, but chose not to. To that end he can't blame critics or anyone else for the potshots he takes because he is the soley in charge of this circus and the onus falls on him to make it work. Thus far he hasn't made it work, but that doesn't mean things can't change in the future though.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:57:30 PM »

as long as the music is good and peopel on the boards who have followed gnr day in and day out over the yrs are happy with the material...who the fuck cares

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 11:46:43 PM »

It's going to come down to touring. If the band can get out there and play their asses off, and prove that they are formidable, I'm confident that most people will be able to put the old band out of their minds and see this band for what they are. The album will sell well, on many aspects, be it hardcore fans like us, fans of the old band that are curious, etc. When it gets to it's peak, it will be recognized as a great collection of music, contrary to the band's history...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 12:00:23 AM »

dave I agree to a point, but listen closely as I saw a mention in this thread of it partly being his own fault.. I think alot of people that are more critical of the new gnr isn't because of his talents, we all know he's an excellent singer, songwriter, and frontman, but let downs have contributed to some of the negative feelings for some towards axl..

I can't judge CD without hearing it, and I won't, some boards I've been apart of claim IRS, twat, and songs of that nature will be amazing yet they've never heard one note. tune. or anything else..
Some people claim victory before hearing a song, some like the boots less then others and things of that nature.. I wouldn't have bought a msg ticket the minute it came out (floor seat) if I didn't want to enjoy the experience of the new band..

Damn if the music is good then I'll be the first to say the songs rock.. Of course the gnr name is something that will help launch the album and promote early sales.. Also I believe having eight guys is a big factor because they've had alot of time to make one album great..

The thing that will be annoying is a vr vs new gnr thing will be going on, and that's not something I'm interested in.. I use vr someitmes as a point because I like how they got their shit together in a short period of time and keep the fans informed, but that's not inregards to their music, just how they have been operating...

Let me ask you dave if the next vr album is more to your liking, or lets just say better then contraband will you give it credit, or just be a fan of one group..Remember your topic does go both ways..
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 12:12:37 AM »

I don't think he's in a no-win situation.  If the album comes out and kicks ass, that makes him look like the hero and would seemingly show everyone that he doesn't need the old members, regardless of how long it takes.  If it bombs, obviously he's gonna get trashed by the media, but a successful album will put him in a much higher standing than he is now, I can tell you that.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 12:54:50 AM »

I can say the same thing regarding the stupid things you say about Velvet Revolver. Like just because they are #1 doesn't mean they are any good since britney spears is #1. ok
ChristineP
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 11:01:21 AM »

I am sure he is a tough spot for sure.  I feel sorry about that.  I think even if he had of went on and called the band, say Axl Rose and co.?  His fans would still support it and would do well.  I think most of his would be this court shit and the timing with VR doing their own stuff.  Organizing the whole thing, so it works out in his and band members favour.  Including the fans.  There might be some personal issues too?

I would also imagine that he can't just say fuck it!  He needs this albumn for himself.  Or maybe I am wrong? 

Whatever the case, I hope it turns out for everybody! peace
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 11:05:33 AM »

I think (and I feel) that the album is going to be a phenomenal success. Just with the studio version of The Blues and Madagascar will be enought to make it be a success. That's a feeling, the record will be successfull.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 11:16:15 AM »

think about it, from the boots we've heard, the time he's spent on it, and the money put into it, how could the music be bad?? The only problem is the critics fucking killing it, but u know what, fuck them, as long as i like it. Honestly though, people should just judge the music, let the music do the talking.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Death Cube K
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 01:24:07 PM »

Press will give him hell, but this album will sell as much as VR. It wont sell more than the old era stuff though. Even the haters will buy this album, because they wanna hear what it was all about.

The second album will be the rise or fall of the new GNR.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 01:38:42 PM »

Unfortunately the VMA'a were the equivalent to musical premature ejaculation which enabled the public at large to view the sad state of this album's delays.  Prior to that we were about the only ones tracking the release.  People got a taste way too soon......their expecations were elevated and now they have forgot - this is indeed a no win situation.

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 04:28:10 PM »

Unfortunately the VMA'a were the equivalent to musical premature ejaculation which enabled the public at large to view the sad state of this album's delays.  Prior to that we were about the only ones tracking the release.  People got a taste way too soon......their expecations were elevated and now they have forgot - this is indeed a no win situation.

i wouldnt say "elevated" because nobody i know thinks it was a good performance.. they say "if the new album's anything like the vma's its gonna suck"

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: