Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:19:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dee Snider's Comments on Axl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dee Snider's Comments on Axl  (Read 19806 times)
RiotinPhilly
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: October 15, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »

Here in Philadelphia (where I live), Dee Snider of Twisted Sister hosts an evening radio show.? Although I?m sure that this will spawn a barrage of posts ranting about Dee being a loser, douchebag, and every other comment imaginable, he seems to be a stand-up guy who always remembers the fans (one example: he offered to personally hand deliver printed emails to Ozzy regarding his no-show here in August).? Last night he had quite a few comments on Axl, the no-show concert, and Chinese Democracy.? Dee basically said ?Who the fuck does Axl Rose think he is??? He went on to explain that holding this album over everyone?s head for so long is so counterproductive that by the time he finally does release it, no one will care.? He pointed out that for the most part, people aren?t anxiously anticipating this album (other than the people who dedicate their lives to this forum and the band) and probably wouldn?t bother to buy it when it does come out.

All in all, this made me think: who really does care?? Does Axl think that MTV will put his sorry ass on their programming again?? What makes this band any different than the current Van Halen reunion (i.e. VH is doing well, but they are not changing the world, setting sales records, making the news, etc)?

Dee also applauded Velvet Revolver for getting their stuff together and releasing a strong album.

I acknowledge that this is my first post (although I read the forum almost daily) so I expect the bitching, moaning, discrediting to begin. . .

P.S.? I?ve been inclined to write before, but Dee?s comments really put the irrelevance of GNR in perspective and made me wonder how some people could be so disillusioned.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

There still seems to be an interest in GN'R and also what Axl does. All you have to do is to look at how great the Greatest Hits is selling.

GN'R was asked to headline one night at the RIR4 festival so obviously there's interest in the band.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 02:06:26 PM »

I'm not surprised. It's not the first time Dee has made negative comments about Axl, far from it. Same shit, different day......

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 02:12:08 PM »

Here in Philadelphia (where I live), Dee Snider of Twisted Sister hosts an evening radio show.? Although I’m sure that this will spawn a barrage of posts ranting about Dee being a loser, douchebag, and every other comment imaginable, he seems to be a stand-up guy who always remembers the fans (one example: he offered to personally hand deliver printed emails to Ozzy regarding his no-show here in August).? Last night he had quite a few comments on Axl, the no-show concert, and Chinese Democracy.? Dee basically said “Who the fuck does Axl Rose think he is?”? He went on to explain that holding this album over everyone’s head for so long is so counterproductive that by the time he finally does release it, no one will care.? He pointed out that for the most part, people aren’t anxiously anticipating this album (other than the people who dedicate their lives to this forum and the band) and probably wouldn’t bother to buy it when it does come out.

All in all, this made me think: who really does care?? Does Axl think that MTV will put his sorry ass on their programming again?? What makes this band any different than the current Van Halen reunion (i.e. VH is doing well, but they are not changing the world, setting sales records, making the news, etc)?

Dee also applauded Velvet Revolver for getting their stuff together and releasing a strong album.

I acknowledge that this is my first post (although I read the forum almost daily) so I expect the bitching, moaning, discrediting to begin. . .

P.S.? I’ve been inclined to write before, but Dee’s comments really put the irrelevance of GNR in perspective and made me wonder how some people could be so disillusioned.

Dee IS a loser, and a douchebag.....and a stand up guy, to boot.  If you ever call in to his show, tell him that 106.9 WCCC in Hartford is his DADDY.  He'll get a laugh out of it, trust me.

I'm not surprised by Dee's comments, either. He's said basically the same sorts of stuff when he was on air up here in CT.  However, he also has said that Axl is a creative genius, and one of the best frontmen in history (next to him, of course.. Smiley ).  He's just frustrated...both at the lack of material, and for the fans.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 02:12:35 PM »

Regardless of what other people try to get you to believe, GNR is still very popular in the world abroad. People want this album and want Axl out there again...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 02:38:17 PM »

Well you have to admit if they are being asked to play rock events (Rio) they are still a marketable commodity to some corporation out there... Roll Eyes
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 02:59:37 PM »

Here in Philadelphia (where I live), Dee Snider of Twisted Sister hosts an evening radio show.? Although I?m sure that this will spawn a barrage of posts ranting about Dee being a loser, douchebag, and every other comment imaginable, he seems to be a stand-up guy who always remembers the fans (one example: he offered to personally hand deliver printed emails to Ozzy regarding his no-show here in August).? Last night he had quite a few comments on Axl, the no-show concert, and Chinese Democracy.? Dee basically said ?Who the fuck does Axl Rose think he is??? He went on to explain that holding this album over everyone?s head for so long is so counterproductive that by the time he finally does release it, no one will care.? He pointed out that for the most part, people aren?t anxiously anticipating this album (other than the people who dedicate their lives to this forum and the band) and probably wouldn?t bother to buy it when it does come out.

P.S.? I?ve been inclined to write before, but Dee?s comments really put the irrelevance of GNR in perspective and made me wonder how some people could be so disillusioned.

I love Axl and NU-GNR to death, but I totally agree with Dee.  If Axl would have released this album 4 years ago he would be considered a genius.  Now with VR coming back, people are gonna miss the old GNR and perhaps not embrace the new group as much.  Sometimes I think Axl missed the boat.  But, this is one circumstance where I hope I'm wrong

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »

Well at the free velvet revolver show here in hollywood which i went to a lot of people kept chanting Axl Axl at Weiland.  I dont think this is cool but there is still a hunger to see the greatest front man of all time.  I love Dee Snider.   I grew up on Long Island listening to him on a radio show called the metal nation in the mid 90s but he should shut the fuck up.  Who the fuck is he to talk about anyone.  I really cant wait til ChiDem comes out to shut people the fuck up more than anything.  He comes on the air in Philly over a year after it happened and feels the need to open his fuckin mouth about something he wasnt even around for. 

Please let ChiDem start soon!  I cant take assholes talkin shit anymore!
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 03:17:01 PM »

Dee Snider seems to be a pretty cool host.  I don't think he is too far off on his comments when it comes to the average fan.  LEt's face it, we are diehard.  We come to GNR websites, every single day when there is like 2 real pieces of new news a year.

BTW - RIOTinPHILLY should not be confused by myself, Philly Riot. I am an innocent victim who was hit by a soda, when all he wanted was to hear Axl sing, on a cold December evening back in 2002.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 03:22:25 PM »

All  you have to do is look at how nuts people went when Axl and the new gnr played the VMAs not to long ago.  People still care reguardless of what Dee says or thinks. 

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 03:53:11 PM »

All  you have to do is look at how nuts people went when Axl and the new gnr played the VMAs not to long ago.  People still care reguardless of what Dee says or thinks.

That was a novelty, no one had seem him in 9 years. If the same thing happened at last years VMA's the reaction would not have been what it was not having seen him in 9 years. The VMA's set the band back in terms of people's perceptions of Axl and what he had left in the tank after the performance. Luke warm ticket sales for the tour minus a few markets seem to support that assumption.

(Cue the typical responses we get about the 15 minute sellout and nothing to promote)
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 05:23:59 PM »

Dee is not as stupid as he looks,but he makes a big mistake when talking shit about Axl,simply because he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Of course that,from the outside,it seems that while Slash&co got their shit together,Axl is playing with a bunch of losers and no one will wait for his album,but simple facts like GH album sells,the attendences at concerts in big cities in 2002,MTV making every little Axl news into a big thing(like that Vegas CD preview) or the fact that the new members are indeed GREAT musicians show tha GNR is not over yet.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 05:32:45 PM »

Im sorry you all saying that the sales of greatest hits shows the interest in Axl, maybe you shoudlstep back and think "hang on, that was the ORIGINAL gn'r" its not just axl they're interested inm, its the real GN'Rs music. Also the tour not so long ago was definitly down to curiosity, obviously a different story for you die-hard Axl fans but you know, the general public dont see it the same as you...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »

I think dee has some points there, he's reaching with a few but some are valid.. He has said positive things about gnr as a whole in the past in countdowns and stuff like that..

I think it's true more about internet fans because I could ask a few friends about gnr and they wouldn't know anything going on, and alot think gnr ended a long time ago..

Look at how alot of older bands have been doing in releasing new stuff from a layoff, greenday sold about 250 k, REM just sold 59 k, Vh's greatest hits was like 160 k.. On the other hand The Beastie boys have been doing well with their album, big part is their videos and getting out there and letting people know they're back..
There's no doubt in my mind the longer it takes the harder it will be.. It's all how it's marketed, I still see the time machine commercial talking about gnr's long awaited album..
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 06:26:13 PM »

Dee Snider is a cool guy who shoots straight from the hip when he talks about other rockers.  I think that his criticisms of Axl are totally valid; it IS stupid for Axl to spend so long on this album, to not show for his fans during his "comeback" tour, and to replace the original band, which made Guns N' Roses what it is, with a revolving door new lineup.
axlrose_7
Headliner

I Rock

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 06:29:06 PM »

In my opinion Axl does not owe anyone an album. He owes people an explanation of things that he has done before, such as tour cancellations (which we know he can't talk about that stuff because of legal issues).

Who do he think he is? well, he thinks he is what he really is. The only original member from a band who ruled the world for a period of time. He thinks he is a guy who is trying to show the world that he can carry on the name of that band, with a whole bunch of new members, and still prove he can deliver good music; thing that is not easy at all.

I'm sure Axl hasn't been watching talk shows everyday for 4 years now.

Who does Dee Snider think he is? I'm sure he'd love to be at least 20th in those "Best frontmen of all time" lists where Axl is always top 10.

My words may disturb but at least there's a reaction
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 06:45:43 PM »

And of course, Dee Snider has no reason to be bitter whatsoever... does he? I mean, after all, he has an AMAZING career as a radio host.  Not to mention his rinky dink appearances on various VH1 specials that tell of an era long since past.  Yes... this is EXACTLY what lead singers of rock bands actually dream of becoming... HAS BEENS!  By the time Guns N' Roses hit the big time, Twisted Sister was nothing more than a memory of lame videos and half-assed rock anthems.  Luckily for Dee, radio has a place for starving, out of work, broke rock n roll has beens.

Hmmm....  comments from the likes of Dee Snider appear to be nothing more than sour grapes to me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 06:53:42 PM »

Im sorry you all saying that the sales of greatest hits shows the interest in Axl, maybe you shoudlstep back and think "hang on, that was the ORIGINAL gn'r" its not just axl they're interested inm, its the real GN'Rs music. Also the tour not so long ago was definitly down to curiosity, obviously a different story for you die-hard Axl fans but you know, the general public dont see it the same as you...

You don't think that the people, who bought the Greatest Hits, might be interested in what the guys who created that music are doing today?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 07:21:41 PM »

Dee is a cool guy and put out good music after twisted sister with widowmaker.... he is not a has been but he should shut the fuck up about axl.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 07:57:19 PM »

it IS stupid for Axl to spend so long on this album, to not show for his fans during his "comeback" tour, and to replace the original band, which made Guns N' Roses what it is, with a revolving door new lineup.

why is that? If axl is a perfectionist and is trying to make something truly special, why is it a bad thing for him to take his time and put it out when it's done? Would you have preferred 'It's Five o'Clock Somewhere' as the follow up to the Illusions just so they got something out fast? I wouldn't have. I prefer nothing than see a band's music go to crap; Rush comes to mind as an example.

We will know what GnR is when they release CD; anyone here who thinks they know or better put, pretends to know, are just blowing smoke out their collective arses. 

My only advice for some of you is to just relax. Don't wait for it to happen, just let it happen. if it's good, you can come back here and enjoy it with the rest of us. If you hate it, well, it didn't take too much from you life so you can just move on along. Either way, this rampant speculation is just embarrassingly pointless.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: