Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC  (Read 95892 times)
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2004, 01:11:06 AM »

civil war is actually duff's finest moment as a songwriter lol
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2004, 01:14:35 AM »

civil war is actually duff's finest moment as a songwriter lol

Which is alot like saying that Rambo was Sylvester Stallone's finest performance as a serious actor.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
estranged.1098
« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »

I obvisiously know that. i just think it's funny that people feel the need to criticize VR and irrationally defend Axl no matter what.

What happens in this thread is the opposite of that. People who are always criticizing Axl Rose and the current line-up can't even admit that Duff's statement is a lie. The sad part is that those same people like to say they're the rational ones, and that the people who defend Axl are just blind fanboys.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2004, 01:41:01 AM »

Obviously Duff's statement was wrong but I think he was exaggerating for more effect in the point he was trying to get across. I doubt he really believes that or expects us to believe then when we obviously know better. He's not that stupid despite what some of you may like to think.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2004, 01:45:23 AM »

GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan explained that despite perceptions to the contrary, mercurial frontman Axl Rose was not the sole creative force behind GUNS N' ROSES.

"Axl made it an Axl thing, but it really wasn't," McKagan said. "He never wrote any of the music. That was part of the reason it broke up, because we'd play shows and he'd say, 'Here's a song I wrote about . . .' and it would be a song he had nothing to do with."

Rose has yet to finish a long-promised GUNS N' ROSES album with an ever-changing lineup of musicians, even as his former bandmates have successfully launched a new project.

"I'm not knocking him," McKagan said. "We did go through a lot together, and we accomplished a lot together back then.

"But this is now. And we're having a great time. We hope to do this until we can't do it no more."

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/t-p/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1097821887180630.xml

woah....big words...

Although that might explain why it's taking so long.... hihi
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2004, 03:34:42 AM »

after these words,i said"duff mckagan is sad and poor man"
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2004, 04:31:13 AM »

duff is getting on my nerves. i liked him best when he was just a stupid drunk. now he's just a stupid ass hole that makes no sense and tries to get axl down in every interview and even tries to make it seem like he's not giving Axl a hard time... he's just setting the record straight... yeah right.
FUck Duff. if i knew he was this much of an ass hole i wouldn't've met him in the first place.
stupid sad lilttle man...

Chinese Democracy!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2004, 05:35:19 AM »

I obvisiously know that. i just think it's funny that people feel the need to criticize VR and irrationally defend Axl no matter what.

of course Axl was guns n' roses and velvet revolver sucks because they don't have Axl Rose. Now if they had Axl rose then it would be alright to refer to them as good because they have a hit record.

The only person being irrationally defended in this thread is duff, or cant you see that?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2004, 07:15:57 AM »

since when does duff always slag axl? Thats what I don't understand. He was always the one with the kinder things to to say. He was always the one who kept it private and often says when asked questions about the breakup "let's just leave it at that" I think a lot of you are misinformed, I know a lot of you are misinformed.  the people on the other gnr boards are not making a big a deal of this.
Lucio92
Headliner

GNR Venezuela

« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2004, 08:14:05 AM »

come on cheer up wasn't yesterday great come on and have a great time

Dead Horse Argentina 93 The last show video

http://gnrvenezuela.cjb.net

and remember how we used to be..............

sorry i know this is not the place to upload this but........

thnx anyway
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2004, 09:59:49 AM »

I think Slash wrote some lyrics for GN'R, not whole songs but a line or two here and there.

I remember reading that somewhere....

In my opinion, Duff says two things. I can understand one of them. He says "Axl made it an Axl thing, but it really wasn't." which I understand, it was a band. But the other "He never wrote any of the music." I just can't understand....

Maybe he should've said "he didn't write as much music as some may think" or something similar.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2004, 10:27:58 AM »

well, IMO something must be clear for everyone. if axl wasn't writing any of the music, the A4D/Lies follow-up, would have been released in 1990, it would have been only one album and it would have sounded quite like A4D.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2004, 10:32:06 AM »

well to me the replacements suck, tommy sucks in comparison to GN'R so there's no way you are going to convince me otherwise.
Dave Kushner is a whale of a player....
Thats fine if you think the replacements suck but to a big part of the punk world they are punks gnr.

Tommys solo work blows away Duffs solo work. We all know Duff was a monster with GNR. Lets see what Tommy brought to the table when CD comes out...To automatically disregard him is being a pussy

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2004, 10:58:58 AM »

well to me the replacements suck, tommy sucks in comparison to GN'R so there's no way you are going to convince me otherwise.
Dave Kushner is a whale of a player....

To automatically disregard him is being a pussy

Dave pretty much labeled Tommy a lying "pussy" with his whacko theory of Tommy not saying he could play "circles" around Duff merely to avoid being "raped" on this board.

No definitions of a "lie" need be mentioned, we're all well aware of the meaning by now.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2004, 11:43:31 AM »

I don't understand what Tommy has to do with Duff's comment.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2004, 11:47:37 AM »

who knows.

I don't even know why people are debating who wrote what. November Rain is evidence enough that Duff is wrong; people here should just let it die.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2004, 11:59:55 AM »

It has nothing to do with this topic.

Common sense tells it was thoughtful of Tommy to be humble about himself and respectful to Duff.
As a result he didn?t rub Duff-fans the wrong way, like on this board.
That's what Dave meant.
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2004, 03:17:07 PM »

I'm very active in the publishing business so i'll break this down for you

Song are typically broke down into three parts

1) Lyrics
2) Vocal Melody
3) THe basic chord structure and arrangement

Axl primarily wrote all the lyrics, and vocal melody's. And was a huge contributor to arrangement ideas.

Slash and duff primarily wrote parts around the chords and stucture of izzy and axl's tunes.

Lets get one thing straight. Writing a guitar solo isn't considered part of the song Unless the main songwriter says so. Same with drums or bass. THats why slash and duff are credited that often.

THere is a grey area of whether or not the "contribution was significant to the development of the song" but techincally speaking Axl was the mainsong writer because he created lyrics and melody 2/3's of the process, as well as arrangement ideas thus working into the last 1/3 as well.

Which is why he received 40% of the royalities on AFD (There is an interview on this site somewhere where axl says this) and probably way more on the illusions.

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
speed_stone
« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »

this is so fucking low of duff. dude used to be like my hero and now he's just talking shit. everyone knows that axl and occasionally izzy wrote the best gnr songs and axl definately has the most talent of them all. just look at the classics they put out. duff is just mad that they can't repeat the success they had with gnr with their sucky little band and that they won't be part of axl's huge future success. slash is the same way. so sad to see.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2004, 03:31:51 PM »

Like I said were you there when they wrote the songs on AFD? If not how would you know.

Okay Dave, since you're hellbent on being a wise ass and refusing to use any shred of common sense, let me turn the tables on you.? The songs on UYI albums which are credited to Slash/Rose.? Did Slash write any lyrics on those songs?? If you say he didn't, PROVE IT.? Prove Slash didn't write ANY lyrics on ANY of those songs.

(Note to the naive: I don't believe Slash wrote lyrics, not because I was there, but because it's common sense)

The only person here being a wise ass or difficult is YOU.  You are the one refusing common sense not me.
I am mearly taking what slash has said in the past and the rest of the band about the AFD songs and now what duff has said this week.

First to answer your question, I do not know if slash wrote any lyrics for the UYI songs but I am not saying he did not, so that is not a valid argument.

Now let me state the obvious again since you seem to just ignore it.
Slash said, by his own formula that Axl wrote music for AFD. So are you going to refute that?
Again look at the quote that slash gave, he said Axl came up with the lyrics, while I (slash) had the main riff, then he said Axl helped him write the rest of the song. So using common sense that means that Axl helped slash write the melody.
THIRD, even if you want to claim that Axl didn?t write any of the music to AFD. AT the very least Axl wrote the piano music to Nov rain and Estranged, which using common sense is music. So duff is not being truthful when he states Axl didn?t write any of the music in guns n roses.
Now what part of all this don?t you understand?

I honestly can't believe anyone can back duff on this matter, those who do are just blind loyalists to slash and duff. It?s very ironic since those same people accuse others and me as being blind Axl followers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 03:38:27 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: