Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 02:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC  (Read 95865 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2004, 10:57:31 PM »

He probably doesn't believe half of what he is saying, its merely gamesmenship. He is trying to stir up trouble and get people talking. Nothing wrong with that. He has a captive audience, he can say whatever he wants and no one will say boo about it because Axl is holed up in a house with no sign of any music on the horizon.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2004, 11:01:19 PM »

He probably doesn't believe half of what he is saying, its merely gamesmenship. He is trying to stir up trouble and get people talking. Nothing wrong with that. He has a captive audience, he can say whatever he wants and no one will say boo about it because Axl is holed up in a house with no sign of any music on the horizon.

Oh so its ok when Duff does this, but when Axl does it there is a 20 page thread of people like you calling him an asshole.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2004, 11:11:14 PM »

I will re-evaluate this whole thing if and when Axl ever sacks up and puts it on the line and gives it a go again. Duff has pulled his life together and got into a successful band again, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt right now that he is just hyping his band and talents. I think he just let his enthusiasm get the better of him in this interview.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2004, 11:13:59 PM »

I will re-evaluate this whole thing if and when Axl ever sacks up and puts it on the line and gives it a go again. Duff has pulled his life together and got into a successful band again, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt right now that he is just hyping his band and talents. I think he just let his enthusiasm get the better of him in this interview.

I want you to remember this comment you just made. Because when Axl responds to these criticisms, i expect a similiar tolerance from people on this board.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2004, 11:14:26 PM »

Oh so its ok when Duff does this, but when Axl does it there is a 20 page thread of people like you calling him an asshole.

Not OK, but less scrutinized. 

With Duff in general, there's an air of indiifference and for lack of a better term, slack.

With Axl, he's either beloved or hated, not much inbetween whatsoever, so reactions tend to be more extreme one way or the other.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2004, 11:14:56 PM »

First of all, that's Duff's opinion or plan; whatever it is, it doesn't really matter.
Second of all; Dave, I would suggest you to stop it, even though you got a point because you have gained a reputation already, and sometimes threads end being locked.
Third of all, in favor of Dave a question to VR fans: How come you categorize YGNR, FTP and LTA "Beautiful Ballads" and NR and Stranged "Sappy Ballads"? Does sappy means sad or boring? Peace out.
  peace smoking
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2004, 11:28:21 PM »

I want you to remember this comment you just made. Because when Axl responds to these criticisms, i expect a similiar tolerance from people on this board.

What's he goign to respond with? More of the same as we've seen over the last 10 years. More press releases, more playing one of concerts and busted tours. We are no closer to an album today than we were 3-4 years ago. He can respond however he wants, but no one will take him seriously until he releases an album.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2004, 11:30:01 PM »

You know... I like Duff and I respect him as a musician, but the fact of the matter is I haven't spared a moment to think about the guy since Tommy Stinson joined GN'R in '98. Stinson is a MAJOR UPGRADE... and Duff knows it.

Anyway, anyone who has the "Believe In Me" album credited to their discography is about the LAST person to slag on Axl Rose for "music writing". confused

Later Duff. Go score Weiland some smack. beer

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2004, 11:35:17 PM »

Duff and Axl are easily the smartest guys in VR and yes he's most likely being sarcastiic in that statement
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2004, 11:37:34 PM »

First of all, that's Duff's opinion or plan; whatever it is, it doesn't really matter.
Second of all; Dave, I would suggest you to stop it, even though you got a point because you have gained a reputation already, and sometimes threads end being locked.
Third of all, in favor of Dave a question to VR fans: How come you categorize YGNR, FTP and LTA "Beautiful Ballads" and NR and Stranged "Sappy Ballads"? Does sappy means sad or boring? Peace out.
? peace smoking

how do you know he is a fan of VR's ballads?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2004, 11:38:44 PM »

Stinson is a MAJOR UPGRADE...

Not necessarily, in Stinson's own words:

"I never tried to fill Duff's shoes necessarily, but I definitely wanted to rise to the level he was at. Cause I think he's a great bass player"

Sounds as though Tommy himself thought he was inferior to McKagan...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2004, 11:39:39 PM »

You know... I like Duff and I respect him as a musician, but the fact of the matter is I haven't spared a moment to think about the guy since Tommy Stinson joined GN'R in '98. Stinson is a MAJOR UPGRADE... and Duff knows it.

Anyway, anyone who has the "Believe In Me" album credited to their discography is about the LAST person to slag on Axl Rose for "music writing". confused

no way in hell Stinson is better than Duff. Ask just about any accomplished bass player and he will tell you how vital duff's bass was to the GNR sound
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2004, 11:55:08 PM »

? peace smoking

This is not duffs opinion its duff trying to state a fact that axl didnt write one note in guns n roses, which is a bold face lie.  And I should stop what? I am not the one who gets the threads locked, its the people that tend to make personal comments or start them, so just remember that. 

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2004, 11:56:04 PM »

no way in hell Stinson is better than Duff. Ask just about any accomplished bass player and he will tell you how vital duff's bass was to the GNR sound

Stinson is much  better than duff. Just take Tommys solo album and put it up  against duffs. Duffs do not even come close.

estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2004, 12:00:22 AM »

Absolute bullshit

If you watch making the videos NR and Estranged all the band members say that "Axl came to us with a skeleton of this song"

of course he didnt write music for the majority of gnr songs, but he did write the lyrics and thats what he was refering to.

also, he has written about 6 songs as the sole writer, therefore he came up with the melody to the song alone

No shit he didnt write the riffs/ solo's, but to say he never wrote any of the music is just false, because the songs he did write are some of GNR's best.........

Duff is still a cool guy, but this is just a flat out lie

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2004, 12:01:02 AM »

Stinson is much? better than duff. Just take Tommys solo album and put it up? against duffs. Duffs do not even come close.

That's hardly a fact by any stretch of the imagination, just your opinion. 

Stinson stated himself he had to raise his level of bass playing in order to reach Duff's, therefore
an admission of prior inferiority.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2004, 12:02:28 AM »

still doesn't mean he's a better bass player. You put Stinson in the AFD lineup and it would never be gnr
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2004, 12:04:24 AM »

Stinson is much? better than duff. Just take Tommys solo album and put it up? against duffs. Duffs do not even come close.

That's hardly a fact by any stretch of the imagination, just your opinion.?

Stinson stated himself he had to raise his level of bass playing in order to reach Duff's, therefore
an admission of prior inferiority.

If you took a poll and asked whose solo album was better, I bet more people would say tommys. Duffs solo albums were just awful.? And Tommy may have said that but he was saying it to be respectful because he was replacing him. We all know if Tommy came out and said, that he can play circles around duff and he has to play down to his level that he would have been raped on this board.?

Duff solo album proves what kind of musican he is, and he is not better than tommy.
Didnt duff even said he is more talented now then when he was in gnr?
So if duff is just blah right now doesnt that mean back in the AFD days he was terrible?

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2004, 12:06:09 AM »

Overall, not a great comment from Duff certainly, but that doesn't make him a bad person or someone who doesn't respect Axl.  Everytime he manages to say something bad about him, he usually comes right back and says something like "I have nothing against him" or "we went through a lot together."  His point was that Axl did not right most of the "music" (riffs, drums, melodies, etc.), and that's the truth, really.  Axl's best work was his lyrics, as well as some great piano melodies, especially on the songs that are completely credited to him.  But the rest of the band contributed a lot to the actual music, and this is not surprising.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2004, 12:07:47 AM »

Overall, not a great comment from Duff certainly, but that doesn't make him a bad person or someone who doesn't respect Axl.? Everytime he manages to say something bad about him, he usually comes right back and says something like "I have nothing against him" or "we went through a lot together."? His point was that Axl did not right most of the "music" (riffs, drums, melodies, etc.), and that's the truth, really.? Axl's best work was his lyrics, as well as some great piano melodies, especially on the songs that are completely credited to him.? But the rest of the band contributed a lot to the actual music, and this is not surprising.

Duff didnt say Axl didnt write most of the music for gnr, duff said axl wrote NONE of the music, which is not true. And even said axl didnt write much of the music for gnr is still not true.  No matter what kind of spin you want to put on this duff is simply not telling the truth.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: