Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC  (Read 95933 times)
DemocracyRose
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2004, 11:01:29 AM »

My UYI2 booklet says "14 Years" was written by Stradlin / Rose.

Just because you don't play guitar, doesn't mean you can't write a melody.

Maybe Axl came up with a chorus or something for "My Michele" and told the guys to play it that way because it fit with the lyrics?

I don't know, seems weird to me that Duff would say Axl didn't write anything. Then again, Axl says they were jealous because he got recognized at airports and they didn't.

Doesn't look like they've moved on.....

/jarmo

Yeah, they(Duff&Slash) always say theyre  happy to be in VR and its the biggest thing that ever happen... and Blah Blah...

I think, they want to promote themselves with talking about Axl...

This is so cheap...

badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2004, 11:07:58 AM »

I think it's all about how we define 'writing music' and words are being used too losely here. Duff made a passing comment that probably had some venom (sp?) in it and bitterness towards what he views Axl hsa done to the band. There is nearly always jealousy in a band of the lead singer. They do get all the attention, and other band members may well feel less valued, even thought they ultimately have as much to do with the band's success as the singer.

Music can be defined as the whole song, or can be used to define the backing music to which vocals/melody are put on top, so it is important we consider which definition duff is using (I imagine he was referring to the latter)

Also music writing, in terms of crediting, is only concerned with who wrote the chord progression and melody/lyrics. I could play an arrangement of a song that sounds completely different, but that would still be considered the same song. So that explains, whether you agree with it or not (as I don't), why Axl is solely credited for the songs he is. He would've wrote the chord progression and melody/lyrics and showed that to the band. The band then would've probably written their guitar parts using axl's framework. In my opinion they are still contributing to the song. Get another set of musicians in and u will have a copmletely diff song - imagine Axl giving the song to a pop princess of today, or a boy band. It would still be axl's song but nowhere near as good!!!!!

It is sad to see both parties not valueing the contribution of the other to their success. A band at the end of the day is MUCH MORE than the sum of its parts. It has emergent properties that the individuals alone will never achieve. A very good point was made about the new band not having that band dynamic, i/e/ not being able to push axl.

I'm also sure thought that Axl was a great shaper of songs (sweet child), he worked well with them and bettered their ideas. He obv also influenced their work. But can understand that they feel bitter, cuz I dont think hes ever truly acknowledged their value. Without them he would never have been after all.

So with this in mind I think Duff has exaggerated in what he has said. He appears to me to feel cheated of credit, because public perseption is such that Axl was the driving force and main contributer. We don't know for sure whether or not that is true. He probably feels that Axl was credited too much, or that he wrote only "a little" of the music.

Someone here said a truth is a truth is a truth, but I would argue that is not the case. It is only a truth when viewed from someones viewpoint. Step out of their shoes for a second and consider the other side. That is why both parties view their version as 'the truth'. That is the way of the world, it is not at all black and white, nor that simple.

I hope that gives some food for thought and more discussions. Sorry for the ramble, but that was all in my head for ages! lol I want to know what other ppl think?.....

Back In Power
AxlRocks
Headliner

I WILL MEET AXL!!!

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2004, 11:17:56 AM »

The worse part of this is someone that is a big fan of VR might read this and really beleive it since maybe there not that big of a fan GN'R! I just wonder if some of this shit is made up by the stupid press! Angry
badobsession81
Rocker

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2004, 11:20:21 AM »

I know ive wrote too much already, but...  Roll Eyes

I want to re-iterate the thing I said about Axl being the driving force? I suspect he was in many ways. And I expect he listened' and had a good ear for what is 'working' and not (musically and otherwise). There is a lot more to just writing the music including delivery and attack, arrangements (if we move this bridge here, does it add to tyhe song? or, let's half this last verse so we get straight to the chorus) - all still music focused. And others realting to management that u lot can think of:

Maybe we should have another thread about this kind of thing?

Anyway, I just feel that this kind of quality in a person is rarely acknowledged either (a great eg is the one where axl took inspiration from the sweet child riff and knew it had potential - thats a quality in itself). And that's exactly what duff has done.

Back In Power
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2004, 11:22:05 AM »

WoW....Can't wait until Dave and Younggunner see this. We should get the continual litany of Slash/Duff being assholes and liars, not having NR and estranged without Axl, Slash not wanting to work, VR fans being hypocrites, new GNR being more of a band....the usual suspects when getting into this argument.

This is nothing more than gamesmanship on Duff's part. Its almost like he is poking at Axl to do something or retaliate in somehow. A Guns comeback is nothing but good for VR in a certain sense, so I think he is just trying to goad him into saying something back or releasing some music. If he continues to sit in his house and do nothing he looks like a chump, as they are basically calling him out right now. He needs to release that album so we can make a valid comparison as to who really has succeeded better without the other.
badobsession81
Rocker

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2004, 11:22:24 AM »

The worse part of this is someone that is a big fan of VR might read this and really beleive it since maybe there not that big of a fan GN'R! I just wonder if some of this shit is made up by the stupid press! Angry

...i'm sorry, here i go again boring you all, but...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I totally (almost) agree with this - the press certainly manipulate the truth to make it look worse than it is. The headline is much worse than when u put the wuote in its context.

Back In Power
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2004, 11:28:24 AM »

For any of those who dont think Axl can write lyrics now that Slash, Duff and Izzy r gone...just listen to The Blues..It's one of the most amazing songs lyrically ive ever heard...Axl rocks

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2004, 11:30:17 AM »

SORRY - EDIT

Riffs like SCOM, Brownstone, Jungle, etc. where not composed by Rose. 

So? Riffs are one component of a song, not the only one, and not always the main one. If you take SCOM for example, I would bet that the vocal melody is as much a reason for the success of the song as the riff.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Boner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2004, 11:31:41 AM »

Looks like duff still on roofis.

Lay off the pipe Duff..
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2004, 11:35:38 AM »

Riffs like SCOM, Brownstone, Jungle, etc.

The lyrics on those are great, but until the end of time it is the riffs in those songs that will always be remembered.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2004, 11:42:48 AM »

Wow duff lying once again and now he is sayingn axl didnt write any of the music. This is getting lame.
Here is anold interview from the AFD days i think. Its really sad that Slash and Duff keep bring up Axl. Its like move on already, you guys quit the band in 96.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-52838/songinfo.html
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 11:46:57 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »

Maybe Axl should fire back instead of being a bitch and just taking it. They have been slagging on him for a while now with a continued lack of response, it makes him look like he's getting punked.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »

Maybe Axl should fire back instead of being a bitch and just taking it. They have been slagging on him for a while now with a continued lack of response, it makes him look like he's getting punked.

Yeah but the second he does that people like you and the same usual suspects will bash axl for talking shit about the old guys. Remember when Axl fired back about izzy, duff and slash on the 2002 tour? some of  you bashed axl and said he shouldnt talk about the old guys during the live shows or interviews. So once again no matter what axl does, ignores what  duff and slash are saying about him or says stuff back, you guys still bash him for him doing the opposite.

Axl is best just not saying anything, he has the old interviews and such that proves that he wrote some of the music for the old songs, so that alone makes duff look like an ass.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Hammer1
Headliner

GNR Fan

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2004, 11:51:33 AM »

maybe he was mis-quoted, they say these journalists are wrong all the time! Trying to stir shit! Undecided
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2004, 11:58:06 AM »

There is a difference between ranting about the old guys at concerts without being prodded, and being interviewed and having an interviewer bring it up. It would be one thing if Duff had just released a press release out of no where about this, but I am sure it was within the context of an interview the topic came up. People were slagging on him because at concerts and his press releases he harps on the old guys with no necessity to do so, its not like he's sitting there being interviewed for a magazine or TV show. When he talks about them in his little press releases he just looks obsessed because its not like he is being asked about them. Just my opinion, but people would be more understanding around here i think if all of his stuff came up in interviews like Duff/Slash rather than at a concert where no one gives 2 shits about them and you can tell he is still stewing about it.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2004, 12:03:28 PM »

When he talks about them in his little press releases he just looks obsessed because its not like he is being asked about them.

Could you please post a link to a recent press release by Axl/ GN'R's management where he "talks about them" about something that is not court related? Thanks.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2004, 12:08:01 PM »

Like talent was skill, for Duff music is guitars?  Undecided

Unfortunate for him, Vocal melodies carry the Subject of songs in most case. The subject is the most distinctive part in music, which people usually value and remember more than any other parts.

Judging from this gaffe, the situation of lawsuit over GNR partnership is not in favour of them. Well, good luck.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2004, 12:09:02 PM »

To the people that think Duff really said Axl didnt wrote ANY of the music you must be pretty dumb, he either meant Axl didnt wrote as much as he got credited for or he was just simply misquoted.
Not even Duff would believe that!  ok
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2004, 12:14:47 PM »

Judging from this gaffe, the situation of lawsuit over GNR partnership is not in favour of them. Well, good luck.

And you know this how?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2004, 12:21:45 PM »

And you know this how?

From old quotes of the band and what they said back then and what they are claiming now.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: