Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC  (Read 95965 times)
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2004, 08:15:17 AM »

The debate in this thread is kinda funny.? The simple fact is Duff asserts that Axl never wrote ANY of the music.? Not didn't write much, not only wrote a little, didn't write any.? That, as we all know, is complet bullshit.? Did he write as much as he's credited for? Maybe not.? However, did he "inspire" the creative process with either lyrics or piano melodies?? Probably.

And for those of you who say he couldn't have "written" anything in the Appetite era because all he could play was guitar....C'mon.? Maybe he couldn't have composed the entire song (which is why EVERYONE gets credit), but do you seriously think he couldn't fucking hum or sing a tune that would get the point accross of what he was thinking?? And then the other guys run with it fomr there?? I mean, it may not be ACTULLY? semantically "writing" the musich, but is sure should be considered part of creating it.

that's what Im talking about. ok

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
SADIS
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2004, 08:22:47 AM »

If I write a song with one of my friends, and all I do is play the chords he's looking for and he makes up the singing melody, then in my humble opinion; he wrote the song!

Even if he can't play an instrument; he still wrote the song. All I did was supply him with the chords he's looking for. He may have not written the music but he did write the song. Unless I direct him lyricswise and melodywise or otherwise;then I co-wrote the song. So if Izzy is jammin and playin some chords and Axl starts singing a melody, Axl has written the song (maybe even more) as much as Izzy...... so even if he didn't write the killer guitar melody it still can be he influenced Slash to write his melody....because even if Slash's solo is ultimate on NR, it wouldn't have been there if Axl hadn't written the song itself. So wrote the song; Axl.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 08:25:53 AM by SADIS » Logged
Taz
Banned
Headliner

Axl forever

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2004, 08:29:56 AM »

On the UYI 2 booklet, at the end of the "Estranged" lyrics you can read this : "Slash, thanks for the killer melodies". It says it all...  but the song is only credited to Mr Rose !
And if there is no "only Slash" credited song, it's because he didn't write lyrics !

Anyway, Axl learned from Slash and was "pushed" by him at least as much as Slash learned from Axl : that is called the dynamics working inside a band. When there are no dynamics (like in newgnr) then you don't have a band but just a guy playing music with a bunch of employees... It does not work...
Are Finck or Stinson pushing Axl ? Of course not. They are doing and saying what Axl tells them to do (and say).
One in a million
Rocker

Rock N Roll LifeStyle!

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2004, 08:33:15 AM »

If I'm not wrong, in a interview with Axl regarding the illusions album, he says that he brought like 2 records worth of material/songs, Izzy 1 record, Duff 1 fucking song, Slash I don't remember. Of course they didn't use all that but anyway.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
You know I'd like to hurt you
But my conscience always tells me no
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2004, 08:35:26 AM »

Whether or not Duff is talking out of his boney arse, two good things may come out of all this:

1. It makes Axl even more determined to finish and release Chinese Democracy
2. Some great rants on the next tour!

Here today...ready to rock
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2004, 08:42:14 AM »

Uh ya duff, and the reason why axl got like 40% of the songwriting royalty's off of appetite is because he didn't write anything??!! WTF

Ever heard of a thing called MELODY... the key to whether a song is good or not?? not to mention the lyrics.

Ya he probably didn't write the actual guitar riff.... but he did direct people where to go i.e Sweet Child O mine main riff.... which slash thought was a joke, and axl told him to keep.... the song that made it so that there all not dead or jail right now.

Fuck off duff and go write a song

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2004, 08:46:53 AM »

My UYI2 booklet says "14 Years" was written by Stradlin / Rose.

Just because you don't play guitar, doesn't mean you can't write a melody.

Maybe Axl came up with a chorus or something for "My Michele" and told the guys to play it that way because it fit with the lyrics?

I don't know, seems weird to me that Duff would say Axl didn't write anything. Then again, Axl says they were jealous because he got recognized at airports and they didn't.

Doesn't look like they've moved on.....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:10:53 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2004, 09:09:02 AM »

"14 Years "
 (Stradlin / Rose)

Not true. Izzy wrote this song alone. It even says so in the UYI booklet. Where's Axl besides being 2nd voice in the chorus?

No.....

Izzy and Axl both wrote a song called 14 years, Izzy's was finished first so they used his song but the bridge was written by Axl from his version

Izzy: Axl phoned me up and said he'd written a song called "14 Years" too, which is a really bizarre coincidence. So when he said that, I told him 'Well maybe we should use mine, 'cos it's already finished and we can get on with these fuckin' albums and get them out sometime in 1991!' So what we ended up doing was he heard mine, we tracked it, then he sang me parts of his song and made them like a bridge or a chorus or something.

If Duff and Slash have moved on why do they keep needing to bad mouth Axl? In the past their side of the story has always seemed more convincing - but over the last 2 years i think its been shown Axl is alot more honest that we could ever have thought.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:13:35 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2004, 09:24:56 AM »

"14 Years "
 (Stradlin / Rose)

Not true. Izzy wrote this song alone. It even says so in the UYI booklet. Where's Axl besides being 2nd voice in the chorus?

No.....

Izzy and Axl both wrote a song called 14 years, Izzy's was finished first so they used his song but the bridge was written by Axl from his version

Izzy: Axl phoned me up and said he'd written a song called "14 Years" too, which is a really bizarre coincidence. So when he said that, I told him 'Well maybe we should use mine, 'cos it's already finished and we can get on with these fuckin' albums and get them out sometime in 1991!' So what we ended up doing was he heard mine, we tracked it, then he sang me parts of his song and made them like a bridge or a chorus or something.

If Duff and Slash have moved on why do they keep needing to bad mouth Axl? In the past their side of the story has always seemed more convincing - but over the last 2 years i think its been shown Axl is alot more honest that we could ever have thought.

I hadn't read that quote before, thanks Izzy!  I think we all know wrote a lot of lyrics, at least on the UYI albums, and melody lines. 

Ali
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2004, 09:25:16 AM »

Axl brought the guys down in 2002 (I'm thinking about the Albany show), now they're bringing him down. I don't see anything surprising. Even though in this case, this is obviously not true that Axl didn't write "any of the music". This kind of comment is really useless.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2004, 09:34:25 AM »

Of coiurse axl worte alot of songs ,some alone, some with others, who knows about instrumental parts.. It's so long ago though that I don't care..

I don't evenm know why duff is talking about this stuff..
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2004, 09:44:21 AM »

Of coiurse axl worte alot of songs ,some alone, some with others, who knows about instrumental parts.. It's so long ago though that I don't care..

I don't evenm know why duff is talking about this stuff..

I don't know why either.  There sure seems to be a lot of lingering bitterness and hostility on BOTH sides.  Also, I think these comments do undermine the assertion that the former GN'R members in VR are trying to move forward, and away from GN'R.

Ali
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2004, 09:45:40 AM »

If anyone needs me, I will be in the Velvet Revolver section. 

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2004, 09:46:42 AM »

If anyone needs me, I will be in the Velvet Revolver section. 

How does that add anything to the discussion?

PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2004, 09:58:27 AM »

SORRY - EDIT

Riffs like SCOM, Brownstone, Jungle, etc. where not composed by Rose.  Everyone knows that Axl is a great song writer, but he didn't make up most of the great MUSIC (not vocals).  Obviously, he did for November Rain and a few others.  My point is who cares?  When Axl and the old band meshed their skills together, they are better than Velvet Revolver AND the new GNR.

NOW, if anyone needs me, I will be in the Velvet Revolver section

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
chas
Headliner

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2004, 10:04:13 AM »

I think its pretty clear that Duff's head has been 'severly altered' by all the drugs and booze. What he has said is either a lie, a total lapse in memory, or a publicity stunt to get some headlines at Axl's expense. It 'could' also be the truth....but pigs 'could' also fly, i think its stupid to even try to start to believe hes saying the truth let alone stand behind that statement as some on the board have done.

Its very sad for Duff to try and diminish Axl's legacy, the guy who according to all the facts available (i.e. credits) was the main creative force behind GnR alas not the only one.

As MikkaMaka said, the truth is the truth.......and no statement a junkie makes can change that!!!
insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2004, 10:23:58 AM »

SON OF A PREACHER is Axl Tongue

Seriously, why did duff make this statement now? 

Does the pending lawsuit have anything to do with it? 

I just don't see the point of saying this now Huh
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2004, 10:30:54 AM »

Axl brought the guys down in 2002 (I'm thinking about the Albany show), now they're bringing him down. I don't see anything surprising. Even though in this case, this is obviously not true that Axl didn't write "any of the music". This kind of comment is really useless.

Yea but there is a difference between what Axl said,and what these guys say....Axl said they didn't want to record songs like Patience,Estranged....And said they can suck his dick....But he has never said they didn't wright any Guns material.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2004, 10:35:26 AM »

True, that's why I added: "Even though in this case, this is obviously not true that Axl didn't write "any of the music". This kind of comment is really useless."

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2004, 10:47:41 AM »

I know for a fact that Axl wrote the guitar part for one in a million, so there's Duff's idea blown away already. I'd find it very difficult to believe that Axl could pick up nearly 40% of the royalties for purely writing lyrics, especially when the system was devised by Slash.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: