Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 03:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC  (Read 95991 times)
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 06:43:30 AM »

duff:"We had gone through all that stuff with him(scott), so we were really glad that he was writing his own lyrics," McKagan said. "He insists upon it, which is great, because that is his instrument. The guy's such a masterful melody writer, and his lyrics are clever.''

I guess in a couple of years if VR breaks up they'll say Scott never wrote the music? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 06:47:16 AM by SON OF A PREACHER » Logged

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 06:44:32 AM »

I am not saying I don't believe Duff but one thing doesn't make sense to me. On the songs like NR, estranged, shotgun blues where Axl is credited as the lone song writer. Considering royalties and everything if Axl only wrote the lyrics for those songs wouldn't the other  band members who wrote the music have wanted to be credited? Maybe Axl just did alot of arrangements and that is what Duff is referring to. It's hard for us to figure out what process they used to determine who got credit for the songwriting back then.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 06:49:13 AM »

OK, let's count which songs' music were written by Axl: November Rain and Estranged. Maybe he came with the rough ideas of Shotgun Blues, Dead Horse and Breakdown. That's all he wrote. Not more, not less, so naming him as the main creative force of GN'R is bullshit.

when you say "here's a song I wrote about....", you're obviously talking about lyrics, and most of them were written by Axl. Instrumentation can hardly be about something, duh....

It's true, yeah. I think Duff was fucked up because a lot of people think that Axl was GN'R, so his opinion was harsh about the songwriting credits.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 06:59:12 AM by Mikkamakka » Logged

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 06:59:10 AM »

Well Breakdown comes to my mind and I guess there are many more ...?  Smiley

The force ... the force ...
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 07:02:14 AM »

the truth is the truth.

besides some extras on the piano during songs Axl didnt write any GNR music.

WTF!? are you serious? that much bullshit i haven't seen ever in this board

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 07:03:49 AM »

the truth is the truth.

The truth is the truth.

Rollin' on the streets
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 07:07:53 AM »

"Welcome To The Jungle"
 (Music: Slash, Rose / Lyrics: Rose)
"My Michelle"
 (Music: Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose)
"It's So Easy"
 (Music: McKagan, Arkeen / Lyrics: McKagan, Arkeen )

"Think About You"
 (Music: Stradlin / Lyrics: Stradlin)
"Nightrain"
 (Music: Stradlin, McKagan, Rose, Slash / Lyrics: McKagan, Rose)

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
 (Music: Rose, Slash, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose)
"Out Ta Get Me"
 (Music: Slash, Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin)
"You're Crazy"
 (Music: Slash, Stradlin, Rose / Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin)
"Anything Goes"
 (Music: Stradlin, Rose, Weber / Lyrics: Stradlin, Rose)
"Mr. Brownstone"
 (Music: Stradlin, Slash / Lyrics: Stradlin)
"Rocket Queen"
 (Music: Rose, Slash, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose)
"Paradise City"
 (Music: McKagan, Slash, Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose, McKagan)

music: izzy : 10 axl: 9 ,  slash: 8
lyrics  Axl : 9, Izzy 7, McKagan: 3

total: axl 19 credits, Izzy 17 ...

SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 07:21:15 AM »

"Right Next Door To Hell"
 (Stradlin / Caltia / Rose)

"Double Talkin' Jive"
 (Stradlin)
"Dust N' Bones"
 (Stradlin / McKagan / Slash)
"November Rain"
 (Rose)
"The Garden"
 (Arkeen / James / Rose)
"Garden Of Eden"
 (Slash / Rose)
"Perfect Crime"
 (Stradlin / Slash / Rose)
"Don't Damn Me"
 (Slash / Lank / Rose)
"You Ain't The First"
 (Stradlin)
"Bad Apples"
 (Slash / McKagan / Stradlin / Rose)
"Back Off Bitch"
 (Huge / Rose)
"Dead Horse"
 (Rose)
"Bad Obsession"
 (Stradlin / Arkeen)
"Coma"
 (Slash / Rose)
"Don't Cry (Original)"
 (Stradlin / Rose)
"Civil War"
 (Slash / McKagan / Rose)
"Pretty Tied Up (The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence)"
 (Stradlin)
"14 Years "
 (Stradlin / Rose)
"Yesterdays"
 (Arkeen / James / McCloud / Rose)
"Locomotive (Complicity)"
 (Slash / Rose)
"So Fine"
 (McKagan)
"Get In The Ring"
 (Slash / McKagan / Rose)
"Estranged"
 (Rose)
"You Could Be Mine"
 (Stradlin / Rose)
"Shotgun Blues"
 (Rose)
"Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics)"
 (Stradlin / Rose)
"Breakdown"
(Rose)
"My World"
 (Rose)

axl's name comes up 22 times and has 6 songs credited entirely to him.
Izzy's name comes up 11 times and has 3 songs credited entirely to him
Slash's name comes up 9 times and has no songs credited entirely to him

IT IS THE TRUTH RUTH !

-or are you calling Jarmo a liar ?-  Tongue

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 07:22:21 AM »

The only problem is it's not true. Axl always wanted the world to think he is Guns N' Roses, and thanks to his arrogance and toughness he's overcredited.

Rollin' on the streets
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 07:24:06 AM »

The only problem is it's not true. Axl always wanted the world to think he is Guns N' Roses, and thanks to his arrogance and toughness he's overcredited.

and you know this because .....Huh  Huh

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2004, 07:29:41 AM »

and you know this because .....Huh? Huh

Axl wrote My Michell on his guitar, didn't he? Or he wrote it on his piano and then the others came and played Axl's music on guitar? Surely, that's the way it happened! Axl wasn't able to write any music in the early days, because he didn't play any instrument, but his piano, but he wasn't really good at all. I wonder what do you think Axl did write in the AFD songs, as well as in the Lies songs.  Huh On UYI he wrote music for 5 tracks (or 6 with the end of Locommotive) out of 30. In the other songs he wrote the lyrics and the vocal melodies.

Rollin' on the streets
Mayne
Opening Act

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2004, 07:34:19 AM »

the truth is the truth.

The truth is the truth.

Quote from: Mikkamakka
OK, let's count which songs' music were written by Axl: November Rain and Estranged.

Huh
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 07:41:00 AM by Mayne » Logged
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004, 07:38:19 AM »

Axl wrote My Michell on his guitar, didn't he? Or he wrote it on his piano and then the others came and played Axl's music on guitar? Surely, that's the way it happened! Axl wasn't able to write any music in the early days, because he didn't play any instrument, but his piano, but he wasn't really good at all. I wonder what do you think Axl did write in the AFD songs, as well as in the Lies songs.? Huh On UYI he wrote music for 5 tracks (or 6 with the end of Locommotive) out of 30. In the other songs he wrote the lyrics and the vocal melodies.

"My Michelle"

ON lies I would guess he wrote one in a million, duh...? I read somewhere he picked up a guitar, and even if he played like shit he was able to get the basic structure for the song, then izzy and slash brought the solo and other stuff to the table....

One has to understand that even a whistle is part of music writting...

Or maybe you think izzy slash and duff wrote the music and told axl, ''dude, sing like this and write lyrics that fit the music'' Surely, that's the way it happened! hihi

Saboteur Cyb. Punk
Banned
Rocker

Buckethead unmasked!!!

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2004, 07:42:57 AM »

Axl wrote My Michell on his guitar, didn't he? Or he wrote it on his piano and then the others came and played Axl's music on guitar? Surely, that's the way it happened! Axl wasn't able to write any music in the early days, because he didn't play any instrument, but his piano, but he wasn't really good at all. I wonder what do you think Axl did write in the AFD songs, as well as in the Lies songs.? Huh On UYI he wrote music for 5 tracks (or 6 with the end of Locommotive) out of 30. In the other songs he wrote the lyrics and the vocal melodies.

Take your pills and contact yor doctor! You are so Stupid!!!

I Mean Acid / Do Ya Like It ?
SADIS
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 07:43:17 AM »

"14 Years "
 (Stradlin / Rose)

Not true. Izzy wrote this song alone. It even says so in the UYI booklet. Where's Axl besides being 2nd voice in the chorus?

Puts the rest of your list in a questionable light.....still I do think Axl is a great songwriter. But I've read in many interviews and other stuff about GNR that in the early days Axl was always busy takin' care of the royalty and credits instead of the music itself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 07:45:04 AM by SADIS » Logged
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2004, 07:48:52 AM »

"14 Years "
 (Stradlin / Rose)

Not true. Izzy wrote this song alone. It even says so in the UYI booklet. Where's Axl besides being 2nd voice in the chorus?

Puts the rest of your list in a questionable light.....still I do think Axl is a great songwriter. But I've read in many interviews and other stuff about GNR that in the early days Axl was always busy takin' care of the royalty and credits instad of the music itself.

ok, then lets count the credits on the booklet  Roll Eyes Huh I have the cds with me But not the booklets...back in the day I bought the cassettes not the cds and I dont have themwith me, we are gonna get to the bottom of this !.. hihi AFD doesnt have the credits...at least not mine..

PS; JARMO = MIGHT WANNA CHECK THE INFO FROM YOUR SITE? WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2004, 07:52:51 AM »

Take your pills and contact yor doctor! You are so Stupid!!!

Please, argue.  ok

"My Michelle"

I meant it's impossible that Axl added anything to My Michelle (and othe songs) musically. On the other hand in the AFD booklet they credited all songs to Rose/Slash/Stradlin'/McKagan/Adler. After Steven had been fired they realized he didn't write a note...

ON lies I would guess he wrote one in a million, duh...  I read somewhere he picked up a guitar, and even if he played like shit he was able to get the basic structure for the song, then izzy and slash brought the solo and other stuff to the table....

One has to understand that even a whistle is part of music writting...

Or maybe you think izzy slash and duff wrote the music and told axl, ''dude, sing like this and write lyrics that fit the music'' Surely, that's the way it happened!

One has to realize that guitar solos are parts of music writing. Axl wrote the solos of NR and Estranged? Sure.

Back to One In A Million: Axl mentioned that he wrote the chorus as a joke and played something on 2 strings. But when they (mostly Axl) wanted to really make the song, Axl's 'guitar parts' weren't good at all, so Slash came with some ideas, but they felt it's not complete and then Izzy wrote the electric guitars for OIAM.

Rollin' on the streets
koumhar
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 08:00:21 AM »

Quote from: SADIS on Today at 07:43:17am
Quote from: SON OF A PREACHER on Today at 07:21:15am
"14 Years "
 (Stradlin / Rose)

Puts the rest of your list in a questionable light.....still I do think Axl is a great songwriter. But I've read in many interviews and other stuff about GNR that in the early days Axl was always busy takin' care of the royalty and credits instad of the music itself.

ok, then lets count the credits on the booklet? ? I have the cds with me But not the booklets...back in the day I bought the cassettes not the cds and I dont have themwith me, we are gonna get to the bottom of this !..? AFD doesnt have the credits...at least not mine..

PS; JARMO = MIGHT WANNA CHECK THE INFO FROM YOUR SITE? WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

actually, if you go to http://www.gnrinfo.tk it says this:

Written by: "14 Years" was written by Izzy and Axl. Izzy wrote most of the song, and Axl wrote the lyrics to the chorus.

Izzy: Axl phoned me up and said he'd written a song called "14 Years" too, which is a really bizarre coincidence. So when he said that, I told him 'Well maybe we should use mine, 'cos it's already finished and we can get on with these fuckin' albums and get them out sometime in 1991!' So what we ended up doing was he heard mine, we tracked it, then he sang me parts of his song and made them like a bridge or a chorus or something.

just thought that might help!? ?ok

hoke doke, back to lurker world for me. BYE!? Grin
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2004, 08:04:44 AM »

The debate in this thread is kinda funny.? The simple fact is Duff asserts that Axl never wrote ANY of the music.? Not didn't write much, not only wrote a little, didn't write any.? That, as we all know, is complete bullshit.? Did he write as much as he's credited for? Maybe not.? However, did he "inspire" the creative process with either lyrics or piano melodies?? Probably.

And for those of you who say he couldn't have "written" anything in the Appetite era because all he could play was piano....C'mon.? Maybe he couldn't have composed the entire song (which is why EVERYONE gets credit), but do you seriously think he couldn't fucking hum or sing a tune that would get the point accross of what he was thinking?? And then the other guys run with it from there?? I mean, it may not be ACTULLY? semantically "writing" the musich, but is sure should be considered part of creating it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 08:20:22 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2004, 08:09:13 AM »

I meant it's impossible that Axl added anything to My Michelle (and othe songs) musically. On the other hand in the AFD booklet they credited all songs to Rose/Slash/Stradlin'/McKagan/Adler. After Steven had been fired they realized he didn't write a note...

why is it so impossible ? a guitar is an instrument that creates a melody, a voice is also an instrument that creates a melody as well....I mean isn't it possible that axl said ''ok around minute 1: 05 what if we go faster and lift the tempo, and I go ....well well well you just cant tell well well well my michelle really fast with this particular melody ??'' or something...isn't that music writting??

One has to realize that guitar solos are parts of music writing. Axl wrote the solos of NR and Estranged? Sure.

I dont know how to play the guitar but I can create a pretty cool solo in my head right now, Jim Morrison used to sing guitar solos.... and he didnt know how to play a single instrument, he was a poet, and if you look at the movie, he picks up the music from the other guys and makes it his own and changes it to sound different and cool, then the other guys adapt. Its a collaboration. To say Axl had no saying whatsoever on the music is way too drastic for me to believe it.

Back to One In A Million: Axl mentioned that he wrote the chorus as a joke and played something on 2 strings. But when they (mostly Axl) wanted to really make the song, Axl's 'guitar parts' weren't good at all, so Slash came with some ideas, but they felt it's not complete and then Izzy wrote the electric guitars for OIAM.

WOAH Im gonna have a headache with all those quotes...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: