Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 12:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF : AXL ROSE Never Wrote Any Of The GUNS N' ROSES MUSIC  (Read 95739 times)
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« on: October 15, 2004, 04:38:35 AM »

GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan explained that despite perceptions to the contrary, mercurial frontman Axl Rose was not the sole creative force behind GUNS N' ROSES.

"Axl made it an Axl thing, but it really wasn't," McKagan said. "He never wrote any of the music. That was part of the reason it broke up, because we'd play shows and he'd say, 'Here's a song I wrote about . . .' and it would be a song he had nothing to do with."

Rose has yet to finish a long-promised GUNS N' ROSES album with an ever-changing lineup of musicians, even as his former bandmates have successfully launched a new project.

"I'm not knocking him," McKagan said. "We did go through a lot together, and we accomplished a lot together back then.

"But this is now. And we're having a great time. We hope to do this until we can't do it no more."

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/t-p/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1097821887180630.xml
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 04:40:44 AM by SON OF A PREACHER » Logged

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Taz
Banned
Headliner

Axl forever

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 04:43:02 AM »

Axl's freaks are gonna kill Duff for that one ! rofl
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 04:45:11 AM »

what a sad old punk.

maybe the whole lawsuit stuff, doesn't go that well for duff'n'slash...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 04:46:59 AM by thelostrose » Logged

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
Taz
Banned
Headliner

Axl forever

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 04:53:20 AM »

Axl is so intelligent and talented that he taught Slash how to play guitar and find good riffs. He also taught Duff how to play bass-guitar... Didn't he, you Axl's freaks ? Well, nevermind... rofl

P.S.: Axl is older than Duff...
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 04:58:56 AM »

Axl is so intelligent and talented that he taught Slash how to play guitar and find good riffs. He also taught Duff how to play bass-guitar... Didn't he, you Axl's freaks ? Well, nevermind... rofl

No, but he can play the piano, and create melodies like November Rain-> slash matt and duff have said they thought November rain sucked because it had flutes and piano ...A person doesnt need to know how to play the all the instruments in order to create a melody, Of course slash and duff wrote a lot of it, but saying he never wrote the music for all of the songs is laughable.

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 05:05:41 AM »

From another thread I commented on. See what I mean about some people who have to turn the whole point of the original thread into some kind of personal attack against a person or people? Why bother even posting on here with that?

DemocracyRose
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 05:27:38 AM »

Blah blah blah.....

This is so many years ago...

I remenber that Izzy said something about Slash and Duff was so wasted when GNR was hot...

Even Duff had said that he couldnt remember that many things from that period...

So give me a break here...
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 05:28:34 AM »

well I guess it's true in some sence. but Im pretty sure Axl wrote a lot of melodies, plus he did write some songs on his piano. but the other guys made most of the music, so yeah.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
TheLizardKid
Headliner

Staple your head to the floor.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 05:34:07 AM »

It amazes me that Duff, Matt and Slash keep insisting they want to move on and concentrate on VR alone yet every day there is another article or news item with them bashing Axl. Axl must have really pissed them off? hihi I also thought Duff said he would never slag Axl off. Seems to me that he does it every other day. I'm pretty sure someone showed me an article in a british lads mag (Nuts or Zoo, can't remember which one) where Duff called Axl an 'asshole'. I'll try to look it out for an accurate quote.

When the teacher put the ruler down on my hand
I laugh!
Cross my heart and hide reliever in trails of blood,
I love?!?
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 05:40:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure someone showed me an article in a british lads mag (Nuts or Zoo, can't remember which one) where Duff called Axl an 'asshole'. I'll try to look it out for an accurate quote.

I haven't heard about that, please find the source.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 05:53:36 AM »

Unbelievable!!!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
14 years of silence
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 06:09:59 AM »

Ive lost respect for Duff for saying that pack of lies  rant
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 06:15:28 AM »

This is getting so ridiculous I don't even know what to say. Maybe I should stop reading interviews, it depresses the hell out of me that they could all stoop so low  no

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
SADIS
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 06:16:26 AM »

Well, it might be true for the AFD and GNR Lies albums. Because, as we all know, Izzy wrote most of the stuff on there. Nothing on AFD was written by Axl himself.

But.............. Axl did prove to be able to write fantastic songs, like November Rain and Estranged, 2 of GNR's best (songs)ballads. Also there were more tracks on UYI that he wrote alone, maybe not always their best, but still good. But the fact that he did write Estranged makes him UBER credible and is THE reason for DUff to shut up. I think, as much as I love Duff, he should stop talkin' about Axl or GNR. He's a cool guy but they should stop the bullshit. Axl hasn't commented on anything they did, he didn't say how crappy VR is or stuff like that.

let it go. But probably Axl did something really nasty, otherwise this shit wouldn;t be going on
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 06:20:38 AM »

This is getting so ridiculous I don't even know what to say. Maybe I should stop reading interviews, it depresses the hell out of me that they could all stoop so low? no

So do I ... I'm enjoying VR I'm still on the VR's wave since their gig in Paris in september but when you read things that so low, you tend to get back to earth pretty quickly.  Undecided

The force ... the force ...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 06:26:06 AM »

Ok everyone take a step back.

the truth is the truth.

piano parts in NR,Estranged,Breakdown,Civil War,

Dead Horse, One In a Million

really besides some extras on the piano during songs Axl didnt write any GNR music.

SLash and Izzy wrote the majority of guitar parts so i dont understand why everyone is so angered by this.

do people really believe axl made those riffs and solo's up? 

Im one of the biggest axl nuttswingers alive but the old band must get their due credit.

However this means axl has nowhere near peaked as a songwriter yet which makes CD even more interesting.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 06:37:40 AM »

Lol I Like you D but you're kidding right ?  Grin
Axl is the melodist, that's what a song is about ! Of course riffs and bass and drums parts are also important. I will never say that Slash or Duff never wrote any music in GNR. I know Axl didn't compose the killer riffs, or the bass or the drums not even all the melodies (but he did great ones)... but working together I thought that's what a band was about...  Wink

The force ... the force ...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 06:38:24 AM »

That was part of the reason it broke up, because we'd play shows and he'd say, 'Here's a song I wrote about . . .' and it would be a song he had nothing to do with."

Also, when you say "here's a song I wrote about....", you're obviously talking about lyrics, and most of them were written by Axl. Instrumentation can hardly be about something, duh....

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 06:40:14 AM »

Lol I Like you D but you're kidding right ?? Grin
Axl is the melodist, that's what a song is about ! Of course riffs and bass and drums parts are also important. I will never say that Slash or Duff never wrote any music in GNR. I know Axl didn't compose the killer riffs, or the bass or the drums not even all the melodies (but he did great ones)... but working together I thought that's what a band was about...? Wink

exactly, its like scott weiland, he doesnt know how to play the guitar very well either, like axl , he creates the melody and then the rest of the band ads their own thing that fits in the song. the core of the song is the melody if you ask me.  Tongue

Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 06:41:16 AM »

I am not saying I don't believe duff but I find one thing really odd. On the songs Axl is crediterd for writing alone (your november rains, shotgun blues, estranged etc.) if he didn't write any music why is he the lone person credited? I mean considering royalties and everything if Axl just wrote the lyrics wouldn't the band members who wrote the music want their due credit. I think a possible explanation for this might be something like Axl never wrote any riffs or anything like that but did alot of arrangements. Maybe that's what duff meant. But even that doesn't explain the songs where he is solely credited as having written.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: