Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:19:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new gnr = lack of attitude
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: new gnr = lack of attitude  (Read 13275 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 11:58:52 AM »

From what I've heard and read, it is a band in the sense that they work together.

Just because they have a leader doesn't mean that they're not a band.

I think that the rest of the band understands that Axl was in GN'R before any of them joined and respect that he's the leader. I also think that Axl listens to what the others say.

Just because Tommy's on tour in Europe and haven't checked what's happening with GN'R in a few weeks, doesn't mean it's not a band. They don't need eight guys in the studio when only one of them is needed there.? Wink

/jarmo

I hear you, I just think people feel it's not a band or less of a band because this has been going on a long time and just about everything that was becoming good was flushed down the toilet and goodn news has been almost invisible.. I'm sure some see revolver moving quick and see they did something wether you like the stuff or not..
People see no new material or any real info about an album and tour but see countless solo projects, tours, people doing other albums, etc while axl is never heard from.. \

I believe people are like me (well some) more let down then anything..

When I see the new guys doing countless side stuff it rememinds me of someone that owes a person money but doesn't pay it back, yet they're out at a club somewhere else spending, yet my money is no where in sight.. It's like a smakc in the face, wether meant to be or not..

If the band was together in the public people would feel differently ,and of course if teh album dropped and if tour datesd were announced..

When I read the interview you did (very good by the way) people must be like fuck tommy might be touring again in jan n feb for his own stuff.. It just sucks that so much is done outside of the new group...
VHunknown
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 12:18:28 PM »

Look I don't know about new gnr not being a band.  They definately have the talent it requires to create good music.  All I am saying is that if we are still calling ourselves GNR, that has the stigma of "kick ass".  It just seems to go against marytdom to force band members and roadies into confidentiality agreements.   Thus giving me the impression that Axl cares so much about the voice of public appeal that he has lost sight of what he sought out to do from the beginning.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 12:22:43 PM »

All I am saying is that if we are still calling ourselves GNR, that has the stigma of "kick ass".

That might be the best insight I have seen on this board in a while. Way to go man, that quote alone kind of sums up the entire frustration of the segment of GNR fans who think the hip-hop/goth thing is ridiculous. If it wasn't Guns N' Roses I don't think anyone would care, but when you call it that you have an image to keep up. You hit the nail straight on the head.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 12:24:58 PM »

Look I don't know about new gnr not being a band.? They definately have the talent it requires to create good music.? All I am saying is that if we are still calling ourselves GNR, that has the stigma of "kick ass".? It just seems to go against marytdom to force band members and roadies into confidentiality agreements.? ?Thus giving me the impression that Axl cares so much about the voice of public appeal that he has lost sight of what he sought out to do from the beginning.

That is just not true at all. If axl cared about what the pubic thought he wouldnt have the braids anymore, he would try to get back with slash and duff and he would still be making AFD songs and not trying to progress. Axl has always done what he has wanted to.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
VHunknown
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 12:40:51 PM »

How would you explain the fact that Axl wants CD to be as big as possible?  This sure sounds concern for the critiques criticisms of others to me.  Justify the 10 year time frame for the new record anyway you like, but do you really think that it would have taken the old band 9 years to but out a record?  No, they didn't care how big it was or who was listening.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 12:45:28 PM »

How would you explain the fact that Axl wants CD to be as big as possible?? This sure sounds concern for the critiques criticisms of others to me.? Justify the 10 year time frame for the new record anyway you like, but do you really think that it would have taken the old band 9 years to but out a record?? No, they didn't care how big it was or who was listening.

I dont know what axl is thinking, like you are claiming, but IMO Axl is making this album for himself and he only cares about if he is happy with the finished product. Axl even said, he knows with the new album he will lose a few old gnr fans because of style change but he also said he will probably get new fans that like the new style.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 12:50:01 PM »

*Whistles the melody appearing? in the chorus of dead horse*
Members of "New GNR" dont  seem to be doing anything together outside of the studio...Or inside, for that matter.
I don't recall reading,seeing or? hearing anything that would even hint towards the good ol' male bonding -thing.

All in all, it looks like a very bad breeding ground for this here.."attitude"-thing.(However you want to understand the term itself.)

Axl,Robin and Tommy should just shoot some heroin together,breake something expensive and get busted for a few days.? yes

Then again, what the hell do I know? They might be playing Monopoly on? the floor of Axl's livingroom right now.
...It's just that absolutely nothing suggests they'd do stuff like that. Ever.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 12:52:12 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 12:58:14 PM »

*Whistles the melody appearing? in the chorus of dead horse*
Members of "New GNR" dont? seem to be doing anything together outside of the studio...Or inside, for that matter.
I don't recall reading,seeing or? hearing anything that would even hint towards the good ol' male bonding -thing.

All in all, it looks like a very bad breeding ground for this here.."attitude"-thing.(However you want to understand the term itself.)

Axl,Robin and Tommy should just shoot some heroin together,breake something expensive and get busted for a few days.? yes

Then again, what the hell do I know? They might be playing Monopoly on? the floor of Axl's livingroom right now.
...It's just that absolutely nothing suggests they'd do stuff like that. Ever.

Are you sure about that? Dizzy and Fortus have played together, and Tommy and Fortus have also played together at each others solo gigs. Dizzy and Fortus plays on Tommys solo album. Is that not good enough for ya?

LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 01:13:16 PM »

Are you sure about that? Dizzy and Fortus have played together, and Tommy and Fortus have also played together at each others solo gigs. Dizzy and Fortus plays on Tommys solo album. Is that not good enough for ya?
To be honest, I didn't even know that the Fortus guy is considered as a member of GNR these days Grin
Neither did I know about Dizzy being involved with Tommy's solo album.
...Is that good enough for ya by the way?

I'm very much "our of da loop" when it comes to all things GNR.
I don't follow rumours or news that don't have a headline with with combinations of words words like "release date confirmed!",  "Axl is actually alive!"or "GNR world tour" in them.
.....So by all means take my ignorant remarks for what they are worth:)
I still feel there are atleast? seeds of truth in my previous post? though!

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 01:23:48 PM »

Tommy even stated the chemisty in this band when BH is not around is better than when he is. So this band might be a tighter unit now that he is gone.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2004, 02:05:16 PM »

Look I don't know about new gnr not being a band.? They definately have the talent it requires to create good music.? All I am saying is that if we are still calling ourselves GNR, that has the stigma of "kick ass".? It just seems to go against marytdom to force band members and roadies into confidentiality agreements.? ?Thus giving me the impression that Axl cares so much about the voice of public appeal that he has lost sight of what he sought out to do from the beginning.

That is just not true at all. If axl cared about what the pubic thought he wouldnt have the braids anymore, he would try to get back with slash and duff and he would still be making AFD songs and not trying to progress. Axl has always done what he has wanted to.

How do you know he still has the braides, he had them from the vmas till which photo? As for the afd thing were slash n duff not part of the illusions? Why does moving away from the afd type sound mean you're progressing or because the fact that others liked that type of rock they weren't into progression?

Lets say they weren't into bigger epic songs like NR or estranged does that mean they weren't into progression, or could it be they weren't as big on those type of songs? I just hate when you act like no one was into creating music because of an afd sound.,.. Yet you're the same guy that loves oh my god which isn't anything special, is that the progressing you wanted?

People need to understand the progressing doesn't always mean better, changing music style doesn't mean you're advancing yourself as an artist... Check silkworms, oh my god and riyad..  Those are songs that axl was able to move on with...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2004, 02:10:51 PM »

same old bullshit....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004, 03:11:39 PM »

"Throughout the life of old gnr, the reason people loved and respected Axl was because he did what he wanted and could care less about what people thought of him"

Still the same person from  what I can tell.   I know he doesnt care about your post.
VHunknown
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2004, 03:26:59 PM »

Ohhhh but I think he does care about this post.... he cares so much that he actually pays people to swear an oath of silence.? Therefore ensuring that we have no idea what is he doing or what is going on.? What more evidence do you need?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 03:34:12 PM »

How do you know he still has the braides, he had them from the vmas till which photo? As for the afd thing were slash n duff not part of the illusions? Why does moving away from the afd type sound mean you're progressing or because the fact that others liked that type of rock they weren't into progression?

Lets say they weren't into bigger epic songs like NR or estranged does that mean they weren't into progression, or could it be they weren't as big on those type of songs? I just hate when you act like no one was into creating music because of an afd sound.,.. Yet you're the same guy that loves oh my god which isn't anything special, is that the progressing you wanted?

People need to understand the progressing doesn't always mean better, changing music style doesn't mean you're advancing yourself as an artist... Check silkworms, oh my god and riyad..? Those are songs that axl was able to move on with...

How do I know Axl still has braids? We have photos of axl from a few months ago buying a car and those pics he still had braids. People that have seen him since that pic have said he still has the braids.

As for progression were the snake pit albums or contraband a progression from AFD or the UYIs? Id say no, they are regressions IMO.

Oh my god is very good song and you can say its no progession but madagascar is without a doubt progression from AFD and the UYI stuff. 

As for riyadh and silkworms, they probaly wont even make the  album but riyadh is a great song ,its better than songs that made the UYIs.  And riyadh is also better than a lot of stuff on contraband.

Do you really think contraband is as strong as AFD or UYI? Id say no.
We dont know if CD is but we will find out when it comes out.

TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2004, 04:06:45 PM »

I agree with the original poster.  nuGNR is not really a band by conventional definition and that is one of the many disappointing things surrounding this "corporation" and it has led to the perception of a lack of attitude.  The company analogy someone made is perfect.  They are not together because they happened to find each other at the right moment in time by some cosmic luck like the old GNR did.  They are not together because they need each other or because they enable each other in any way.  They are together because some boss (Axl) hired 7 employees to do a job.  He then said that they couldn't talk to anyone about the specifics of the job.  You don't see these guys out together in public.  You don't see these guys interviewed together about their project.  All individual interviews always start off talking about their solo projects (like anyone really cares) before getting to the subject of nuGNR.  Tommy makes statements like he "checks in" every few weeks to get the latest update on the progress of material he played years ago.  They all have a bunch of side projects that get more press than nuGNR.  Is this what you guys consider a band?   Do you think people in the real world think of this group as a real band?  No.  Because there is absolutely no evidence to point to that would indicate that they are a band.  The biggest piece of evidence that supports this claim of them not being a real band is the fact that it has taken 9 years to get to this point.  A real band of musicians of this caliber should be able to put out a great rock album in about 1/4 that time.  Look at VR.  I think we all agree that they are a band by conventional definition.  It took them about 18 months start to finish to release a damn good album.

Now all that crap being said, this group of employees may still be able to produce one hell of a kick ass album.  I think its possible if not likely.  But a "band" could have done it in far less time.

-TyRod-
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2004, 05:31:22 PM »

Dave those car photos have been around for ages now, those are far from new.Doesn't matter anyways.. By the way who has seen axl?

As for maddy why is it progressing? I mean it's a very basic song with a church organ intro and basic guitar, not better then the ballads of Illusions.. I think you make maddy out to be way better then it is.

The snakepit albums are not gnr, it doesn't matter if axl mentioned we would be getting an album like that if they continued because the song writers and players would be different so it's sound would be much different..

As for something like contraband I like it, it's not better then the illusions or afd but it's a style I like.. I originally was drawn to gnr because of their attitude, rawness, and 5 guys just rocking out.. I am more of a basic person that loves rocking ballads and regular kick ass rock, I'm not as big into outside intruments from the basics.. I'm not as big into huge productions..

Of course I really like songs like estranged and November rain, but I prefer songs like scom..
I love all  gnr works of old, but I enjoy some more then others..
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 05:38:50 PM »

Rock N' Roll is 95 % music!!!   Fuck the image,the attitude and all that crap.None of them count when the music is shit. 

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2004, 07:21:59 PM »

Personally- I think the biggest thing holding back Nu GN'R is the fact that they have been practically given ZERO chance to showcase THEIR material. What are they supposed to do? Strut around and act like the 1970's Stones because they're covering GN'R's greatest hits catalog!?! They would just look like grade A a$$holes if they did that. Basically, the most they could have done in 2001-02 was give respectful, professional performances of the old catalog- which they did.

I do think, however, they will have the opportunity to be very "Rock N' Roll" WHENEVER (IF EVER) they get the chance to play their music. It will be different than the old days- no doubt- BUT I imagine guys like Reed, Finck and Stinson are just DYING to rock out on their material and shut all the critics up and the people taking shots at them for sticking with Axl so long. Axl should have every motivation in the world to come back and dominate- given that most people consider him a bloated, egotistical, mysognistic, racist, delusional, bald, has-been responsible for destroying arguably the greatest band of this generation. I'm mean if that doesn't get you up in the morning ready to kick some ass- you should get your head checked. Anyway- no matter what happens- it will have a MUCH DIFFERENT vibe than the VH or VR tours or anything similar. I just don't see a scenario where Nu GN'R has some modest success, fills some arenas and quietly goes home. My guess is that it will either be a HUGE LEGENDARY SUCCESS raising Axl to the level of arguably the greatest front man of all time OR it's going to be the F'ing HINDENBURG and will go down in history as one of the BIGGEST FLOPS of all time. Either way it will make history- and that's why whenever GN'R actually makes their run at it- they will be right where they left off in '93- ON THE EDGE- one hair away from either Rock N' Roll imortality or total implosion. VR, VH etc... for better or worse will never be like that- the stakes just aren't high enough.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 07:24:23 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2004, 07:33:39 PM »

Dave those car photos have been around for ages now, those are far from new.Doesn't matter anyways.. By the way who has seen axl?

As for maddy why is it progressing? I mean it's a very basic song with a church organ intro and basic guitar, not better then the ballads of Illusions.. I think you make maddy out to be way better then it is.

The snakepit albums are not gnr, it doesn't matter if axl mentioned we would be getting an album like that if they continued because the song writers and players would be different so it's sound would be much different..

As for something like contraband I like it, it's not better then the illusions or afd but it's a style I like.. I originally was drawn to gnr because of their attitude, rawness, and 5 guys just rocking out.. I am more of a basic person that loves rocking ballads and regular kick ass rock, I'm not as big into outside intruments from the basics.. I'm not as big into huge productions..

Of course I really like songs like estranged and November rain, but I prefer songs like scom..
I love all? gnr works of old, but I enjoy some more then others..

I am not the only person that think madagascar is better than a lot of the UYI songs.  Its better than dont cry, its better than breakdown, its better than 14 years, yesterdays etc etc.  And its progression, there is alot going on in that song, just listen to it and we are just going by the live version, I am sure the studio there will be much much more meat to it, just listen to that clip, madagascar sounds a lot fuller than the live version.

The 1st snake pit album IS gnr, it was GOING TO BE the next gnr album according to axl and slash.  It just doesnt have Axls vocals but alot of the songs were set to be the next gnr album. And yes they woud have been better if slash did like axl asked and let the band work on them more but we all know the rest is history.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: