Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 07:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy Stinson in Europe (edited)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy Stinson in Europe (edited)  (Read 38935 times)
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2004, 05:36:35 AM »

Review of the Copenhagen show by Rainfox (I hope he won't mind). It's taken from the Dust n' bones mailing list :

Hey folks

Just back from the Tommy Stinson show here in Copenhagen.

He played this rock joint "Loppen" (which means "The Flea", as in the bug)
at Christiania - which some might have heard of. A city in the city, so to
speak. Kindda like the Red Light district in Amsterdam, only people live
there, build their own houses, raise their kids and have a nice little
community thing going (since 1973).

It's in Christiania that Izzy hung out a lot during the Ju Ju days (and he
still visits I believe), and where Shannon Hoon got busted for hash (and
banned from the country) back in 1994 when Blind Melon were here with GNR.

Anyway, back to Tommy:

First things first; the guy is awesome. Down to earth, funny as hell and a
real jokester. He was all decked out in a wooly scarf and sippin tea before
he went on ("What's with this weather here? Your city is so beautiful, but
gotta be careful of the cold."). I met another GNR fan (what's your call
name in here?) and we took pictures with Tommy. Corny enough, we both had
new G&R tees on. Met Tommy before the show. Told him I loved the Rio show
and he was all "Oh!! You were there?".

Naturally I wasn't, but he raised his voice and got all giddy: "After New
Years.. We're gonna f**king tour and tour!"

The show was great. Just him and his Alien in Crime (inside joke).

Stinson can sing. I mean, REALLY bejesus SING. Highs, lows, punk, rock, pop,
even jazzy. The man has a voice, I'm tellin' ya. He played most of the new
record (got a real good response), some Replacements and a Bash & Pop tune.
They were really pumped up about the crowd. Loppen only holds about 250
people and while they were opening for Jesse Malin, half of the crowd left
their seats and tables and went straight up in front of the stage. There
were some old school 'Placement fans there too, just to see Tommy (not
Malin) - still all in mod clothes, hats and boots. I think I saw Tommy
glimpse me and the other GNR fan and then he flashed back to center, where
this 'Placement dude in a classic beret hat was standing and he smiled
briefly. Kindda funny. Two worlds that never matched on paper, but now they
do.

At the door, on the artist chalkboard, it read: "Jesse Malin - with Tommy
Stinson, GN'R Bass Player". He was selling a tee and his CD also - only
problem was.. He's been on tour for six weeks in Europe now, and he was out
of CDs, he said and laughed!

He's a born performer, talkative (on stage as well as off it), he's true and
he's the real deal. The songs (Gorilla Head) sounded great live and very
emotional (even more so than on record).

He also made a political remark to intro a song.."I never believed in mixing
rock and politics, but this song, in my own subtle way is saying something I
guess...[pause].... Maybe I just hate our f**king President!!" - to which
the crowd went nuts (Bushido Jr. is not very popular over here, as most
people know). And tellingly, the chorus went: "Have you come to fight or ..
to the rescue?"

All in all, a great show.

Cheers, Tommy.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Mr. Thuna
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2004, 05:40:50 AM »

Went to see Tommy yesterday in Denmark. It was a great show. went there with my girlfriend. I saw 2 other GNR fans. They had their G&R T-shirts on. I had a NIN shirt on. Din?t?t have a new G&R shirt, so I took the next best thing. Before the show started Tommy was over at the merchandise stand, and the 2 other G&R fans were quickly overthere to say hello to him. When they were finished I went over to him. He was a really nice guy. I told him that I really liked his new album. Told him that I was a huge G&R fan and I looked forward to CD. He thanked me and began talking about that they weren't Slash N Duff, and the past GN?R were great times. I surely agreed, and I told him that I missed Slash, but I fully supported the new lineup 100% and that I think that the new band had a great chemistry. And that i loved Robin. He said that he had figured that out when he saw my shirt. Then he said that velvet Revolver were great. I told him that I hadn?t really listened much to them, and I missed Axl not Slash N?Duff. I wanted to bring a bootleg cover for him to sign, but I forgot to bring it. Well He signed my ticket, so that was cool. There were many things I wanted to ask him, but I was quite exited to talk to him and I didn?t really want to bother him too much with questions that he wasn?t able to answer. So I wished him good luck and went back to my girlfriend. The show was great. he sounded really good. After the show he was over at the merchandise again. I went over to him again. He was happy and smiled to me. I said to him that I forgot 2 things. !. I congratulated him on his birthsday the day before. He smiled even more and thanked. 2. I asked him about "perfect" if it was a solo thing or what i was? He said that it was a band he was in (or had, don?t remember) about 7 years ago, and now there was an album coming out. Then I asked about the style of the album. If it was more rocky than VGH. He smiled and said that he didn?t change his style at all, so it was the same. I thanked him again and wished all the best with Axl and Co, and went back to my table. All in all Tommy is a cool guy, and takes time to talk to those who comes over to him. Can?t wait to see him again with G&R. Damn, my first post here after lurking here for many many years. See ya guys peace
DemocracyRose
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2004, 05:45:39 AM »

From Gunsnroses.dk (fanforum)

Hey guys, just some quick info from here?..

Saw tommy last night, and he was really great ? took some pics and 2 low quality avi files, will be uploaded later.

Info from Tommy was a bit limited, but here?s a quick overview:

My brother interviewed him after the show, which gave the following:

CD WILL come out very soon 

Buckethead will not come back, and Tommy will not miss him.

He doesn?t know why Paul Tobias quit.

Don?t know the details, but the interview is recorded and will be uploaded later.

When asked after the interview why the sudden gap in the tour plan of both him, dizzy and brain ? he took his pointy finger to his lips saying ?schhh?

When asked whether Oklahoma was to be on CD, he did the same.

He knew about heretodaygonetohell.com

I spoke to him later about anything, without getting much.

Rock in rio was very weird, and he was a bit uneasy about them needing bodyguards and stuff. But playing in front of 350.000 was amazing.

I spoke with a girl from his and Malins crew who drove the tour minibus and sold cd?s and t-shirts. She said that stinson might tour again in feb. The tour would start in UK and then maybe other parts of Europe for about 3 weeks or so. She didn?t know what tommy was up for after that.

She didn?t know anything about CD either, she was kinda like ?we?ll just have to see when axl?s ready? ~didn?t say anything about record company holding anything back.

Stinson came by the girl as I spoke to her, and I told him that I had to ask him whether cock a roach soup would be on CD, and he was like ?that sounds like a cool title, wish I came up with that? He said it with a friendly ?no CD questions please? attitude.

Generally I don?t think he knows that much about CD

The t-shirt selling girl is a mid hight dark haired girl, who probably be worth asking of future tourplans. She?s pretty talkative and may have more info as the tour goes on.

Another talkative guy is joe of alien crime syndicate, who plays with tommy.

Well this info ended up not being not very quick, will get back to work ? trying to look like a dude who slept for more that a few hours 

~yarno
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2004, 03:02:53 PM »

Tommy update from Copenhagen

This is posted on Tommy's official web site:

Spent my B-day in Brussells. Got a lot of love from the people at the show. Thank you Brussells. In Coppenhagen today. First time here. What a beautiful place! Been cruising around looking for an Internet Cafe seeing the sites along the way.

U.K. dates with Jesse and ACS went great. Had more fun than I should be allowed to have and still get paid. I can't put any one gig at the top of the list because they were all great, but will say Edinburgh was the most magically beautiful place I'd ever seen.

Joe and I have been doing the solo acoustic stuff for a couple days now and it couldn't go any better. We might just have to take this to the peeps stateside for a few.

I want to thank everyone out there who has bought my record. I've had to re-order copies from the record company three times since being over here. That's more than they shipped in the U.K. total I think. Can't wait to come back here. Hopefully in February. The people have been unbelievable. Lots of GNR fans coming out to support - that feels awesome! Cheers to them. Anyway got to go get some sleep before my eyes start to bleed.

Thats all for now.
Tommy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2004, 03:40:33 PM »

he'll tour solo in february? so much for the gnr world tour. great for tommy. awful news for gnr!  crying

Chinese Democracy!
GnRFans
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2004, 04:12:47 PM »

Here some pics from br?ssel
www.GUNSNROSESonline.DE > Band > Bilder > Live Era [Tommy Stinson]

enjoy!

eraser
Rocker

« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2004, 05:42:43 PM »

he'll tour solo in february? so much for the gnr world tour. great for tommy. awful news for gnr!? crying

maybe he meant that it would be great to go there in feb with GNR...

?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2004, 06:35:13 PM »

he'll tour solo in february? so much for the gnr world tour. great for tommy. awful news for gnr!? crying

He didnt say what band would be touring in Feb, maybe he meant he will be back with gnr in feb.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2004, 07:37:22 PM »

He didnt say what band would be touring in Feb, maybe he meant he will be back with gnr in feb.

That's true.  I guess it would be a natural assumption that he was speaking in regards to his solo tour, but he never explicitly said that. 

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a Tommy solo tour, not a GN'R tour.  However, I don't think that would necessarily mean that the album is delayed.  It might just be a case of not being able to line up the regions and venues they want.

We'll see peace

Ali
Prodigal Son
Opening Act

« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2004, 06:35:37 AM »

the show in Lund, Sweden

Tommy opened for Jesse Malin, however he ran into me, and as I was wearing a GN'R t-shirt he started talking a bit. Nothing new really, didn't ask him but he said the new gnr cd is gonna be great, he was very nice.

The songs he played were

Not a moment too soon
Without a view
Someday
Light of day
7 days a week
Friday night is killing me
+ 2 more I hadn't really heard

Stood right infront of him during his performance  Wink

After the show he signed my Stinson shirt, and said that he'll be back in february. I got the impression that february was solo tour as well, not GN'R, as he indicated that during the show.

Some songs were played together with guitarist from Alice Crime Syndicate, and a few by him alone.

Very good performance overall, the standout numbers were 7 days a week, without a view, someday. Sound, performace was superb Grin

the headliner jesse malin however was boring..

I'd guess there were like 150 ppl there..and very few Stinson fans..
DemocracyRose
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2004, 12:11:14 PM »

From a danish guy who has an interview with Tommy...

In the interviews he said something about The Blues, Chinese Democracy anf Madagascar will be on the new record.... and there will be 10-11 tracks on Chinese Democracy...

Enjoy...

http://www.student.dtu.dk/~s011272/tommy/

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2004, 03:35:33 PM »

Thanks for that. I wonder what really happened with Buckethead. Tommy has very harsh words towards him, and it's not the first time either  Undecided

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2004, 05:11:09 PM »

Saw him last night in Gothenburg.

Capacity of 200, wasn't sold out as they were selling tickets at the door.

Tommy sounded great, too bad he only did a few songs. I wonder how many in the crowd knew who he was or his music. The crowd seemed more into Jesse Malin.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2004, 05:34:53 PM »

I wonder how many in the crowd knew who he was or his music. The crowd seemed more into Jesse Malin.

Same in Paris. But since he's been out of CDs several times on this tour, we can assume there are lots of people who appreciated the music enough to buy the album  Smiley

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2004, 08:07:43 PM »

Well, in Greece it'll be just Tommy and Joe, so we'll get a full show (well, 2 actually...) as long as he's willing to play...

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2004, 05:08:41 AM »

Well, in Greece it'll be just Tommy and Joe, so we'll get a full show (well, 2 actually...) as long as he's willing to play...

I hope you intend to bootleg the show  Grin

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2004, 05:19:19 AM »

I intend to but only if Tommy doesn't have a problem with it.  Smiley

We're also preparing a nice surprise for Tommy...   Wink

Let's hope he'll let us tape it...  peace

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2004, 08:17:13 AM »

going to see tommy tonight and i can't wait, i really love vgh so this will be fun, btw, who's jesse malin eh he?  Tongue

i hope it is today tho, on tommy's site it says he has the day off, and on jesse's site it says wedensday oct. 12. and of course only the 12th at htgth... the fuckers at the venue won't answer the phone either... happy go lucky i guess...

anyone going to john dee?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2004, 09:09:07 AM »

going to see tommy tonight and i can't wait, i really love vgh so this will be fun, btw, who's jesse malin eh he?? Tongue

i hope it is today tho, on tommy's site it says he has the day off, and on jesse's site it says wedensday oct. 12. and of course only the 12th at htgth... the fuckers at the venue won't answer the phone either... happy go lucky i guess...

anyone going to john dee?

Hi erose? your going to Tommys show on John Dee here in Oslo? Im going tonight, and the tour list on Tommys site is wrong, I have talked to the people on John Dee/Rockefeller, and they confirmed it... Tommy also said on a live interview on Sweedish Raido yesterday, taht he was playing in Oslo today.... So,guess ill see u there!  beer

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2004, 10:20:13 AM »

going to see tommy tonight and i can't wait, i really love vgh so this will be fun, btw, who's jesse malin eh he?? Tongue

That's the guy who called me "Sir" on Sunday night when I opened the door for him.  hihi

Enjoy the show, hopefully Tommy's throat isn't too sore. He was getting a cold last week....  Sad

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: