Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 07:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Gn'R Guitarist Found?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Gn'R Guitarist Found?  (Read 89216 times)
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2004, 07:56:12 PM »

say what you want about him joking around on SCOM but the guy absolutely rips the last solo.

Yeah, that's what I said (don't know who you were replying to). The guy is just having fun with the lyrics and piano ("oh, play the keeeeeys"), he definitely can play.

estranged.1098
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2004, 08:16:41 PM »

Yeah, that's what I said (don't know who you were replying to). The guy is just having fun with the lyrics and piano ("oh, play the keeeeeys"), he definitely can play.

I can't believe people don't like this guy because of that, I thought it was pretty funny.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2004, 08:18:17 PM »

yes it was pretty funny too for me. it seems he likes joking and having fun. that's cool  Cool

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »

Do we really need another guy with braids in the band?? Huh

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2004, 08:36:44 PM »

he doesnt always have braids

[image]http://www.guitarplayer.ru/ronthal/img/ron_thal_01.jpg[/image]

http://www.guitarplayer.ru/ronthal/img/ron_thal_01.jpg

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2004, 08:42:06 PM »

he doesnt always have braids

[image]http://www.guitarplayer.ru/ronthal/img/ron_thal_01.jpg[/image]

http://www.guitarplayer.ru/ronthal/img/ron_thal_01.jpg

Thanks for the link dave-gnfnr2k.? That guy looks cool in that pic.? ok

But what's up with those guitars he has?? nervous

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2004, 08:46:36 PM »

Do we really need another guy with braids in the band?
you know....Axl is building the exact opposite of what GN'R used to be in the image: a badass Rock n' Roll band.
He is doing exactly the contrary. Totally the opposite. Maybe he is fed up to be a Rockstar. I don't know but it is possible.

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2004, 08:47:41 PM »

Damn he has crack sniffin thumb nails in that above pic....my god...I still say bring BUCKETHEAD back for good!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2004, 08:48:01 PM »

Do we really need another guy with braids in the band?
you know....Axl is building the exact opposite of what GN'R used to be in the image: a badass Rock n' Roll band.
He is doing exactly the contrary. Totally the opposite. Maybe he is fed up to be a Rockstar. I don't know but it is possible.

Or maybe Axl bases who he gets based on talent and not imagine.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Lourenco
Rocker

lourencovc.com

« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2004, 08:50:12 PM »

Apart from a talented musician.... HE CAN FUCKIN SING!

Check this out:
http://www.bumblefoot.com/video/Bumblefoot_-_Live_In_Holland_-_07_SEPT_2002_-_Run_To_the_Hills.rm

I know GN'R doesn't need a singer but I already imagine him doing backing vocals for Nightrain going "Bottom's up..... Feel my cup...!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2004, 08:51:31 PM »

Or maybe Axl bases who he gets based on talent and not imagine
yes maybe. the music is the most important. We are OK on that point. and Ron Thal is talented. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 08:54:58 PM by nesquick » Logged

The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2004, 09:54:01 PM »

Apart from a talented musician.... HE CAN FUCKIN SING!

Check this out:
http://www.bumblefoot.com/video/Bumblefoot_-_Live_In_Holland_-_07_SEPT_2002_-_Run_To_the_Hills.rm

I know GN'R doesn't need a singer but I already imagine him doing backing vocals for Nightrain going "Bottom's up..... Feel my cup...!

holy shit you're right.. he CAN sing..  Shocked

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2004, 11:11:20 PM »

First thing my wife said when I showed her the picture was 'that guy probably IS Buckethead!'.

Looks like Axl really does want a 'shredder' in the stable. I don't get it, but I also haven't heard the direction of Chinese Democracy beyond the 5 tunes we witnessed on tour. Maybe once we hear the whole album, there will be definitive roles that each member plays. Perhaps there is a grand scheme ya know, like:

1) The cute one
2) The athletic one
3) The 'your best friend's older brother' guy
4) The artistic, pensive dreamer
5) The non-threatening bad-boy

Or not. It could be a mish mash that will look retarded when the band poses for album sleeve photos and sound as awkward as Brooks & Dunn remixed by Gary Neuman.

Either way, I'm willing to give this guy a chance. Hey, I got over the chicken bucket thing, the botox and Chris Pitman's haircuts, why not this?

LOL! I've always thought of how GNR is this carnivale. You have:

Axl (The rock star)
Tommy (The punk)
Robin (The artistic goth)
Richard (The hardcore rock'n'roller)
Bucket (The eccentric weirdo)
Dizzy (The "side-kick" headbanger)
Brain (The laid-back thug)
Chris (The "wannabe") (I like the guy, but a lot of people don't even know he exists)

I think when all of those personalities come together, it adds another dimension to the band. One more eccentric whacko won't hurt Smiley

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
patvalley
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2004, 11:20:14 PM »

Once again, I just want to say...this guy is a really good guitarist. He can definitely fill Buckethead's shoes. I've played with Ron at a guitar workshop/clinic, he can shred like crazy and has solid technique. Saying that, he's more of a Buckethead than a Slash, IMO (if you're looking for a 'lead guitarist' comparison there). So, I'd expect leads similar to Bhead's as opposed to Slash's.

hopefully you get my point.? Tongue

How did? he play SCOM did it sound good?

He played it spot on. Nailed it, sounded great. Some nice tasteful fast licks tossed in the leads and stuff.

If he ends up becoming an official GNR member, then for the first time in ...?? years, I will trust that Axl's still got his head on straight. (Not a bash on him really- I love the new songs)
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2004, 12:54:39 AM »

If it doesn't delay the reocrd, I'm all for an A-class shredder coming on board to pick up the Bucket's pieces. Time reveals all...

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Nicos
Rocker

Locomotive (Complicity)

« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2004, 05:34:25 AM »

If it doesn't delay the reocrd, I'm all for an A-class shredder coming on board to pick up the Bucket's pieces. Time reveals all...

I absolutely agree with you NickNasty!
Just read some reviews/articles about this guy. Man this guy is a master on guitar. Obviously he's able to do Bucket's parts on the album.
And reading from his messages, he is a very nice and correct guy too!
Sounds to me like a perfect fit for GN'R.

If he joins Guns, and I kindda already hope he does, hopefully he will be using the Les Paul? ok

Bests to ya all,

N ! 3 |(

N.B. Read his Bio. He's a great guy!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 05:45:33 AM by Nicos » Logged
elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2004, 05:35:30 AM »

First thing my wife said when I showed her the picture was 'that guy probably IS Buckethead!'.

Looks like Axl really does want a 'shredder' in the stable. I don't get it, but I also haven't heard the direction of Chinese Democracy beyond the 5 tunes we witnessed on tour. Maybe once we hear the whole album, there will be definitive roles that each member plays. Perhaps there is a grand scheme ya know, like:

1) The cute one
2) The athletic one
3) The 'your best friend's older brother' guy
4) The artistic, pensive dreamer
5) The non-threatening bad-boy

Or not. It could be a mish mash that will look retarded when the band poses for album sleeve photos and sound as awkward as Brooks & Dunn remixed by Gary Neuman.

Either way, I'm willing to give this guy a chance. Hey, I got over the chicken bucket thing, the botox and Chris Pitman's haircuts, why not this?

LOL! I've always thought of how GNR is this carnivale. You have:

Axl (The rock star)
Tommy (The punk)
Robin (The artistic goth)
Richard (The hardcore rock'n'roller)
Bucket (The eccentric weirdo)
Dizzy (The "side-kick" headbanger)
Brain (The laid-back thug)
Chris (The "wannabe") (I like the guy, but a lot of people don't even know he exists)

I think when all of those personalities come together, it adds another dimension to the band. One more eccentric whacko won't hurt Smiley

Yup, I've always thought of the new GN'R as a sort of demented carnival; they've gone beyond the rock-star image now. I think this guy Thal sounds like a decent replacement for the Bucket. And I like those wacky guitars - but I suspect he'll end up being "gently persuaded" to use Les Pauls with GN'R...

SG
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2004, 06:54:15 AM »

Obviously he's able to do Bucket's parts on the album.

Obviously? I wouldn't say that too loud. If Buck has played to the maximum of his abilities on some solo's, Thal would have a very hard time doing something similar. He has stated himself that he admires Buck's crazy technique. Thal is however a great player with a very (very) good voice and incredible compositional skills.  He is a great asset to a guy like Axl who likes to put out a couple of "Madagascars" and "November Rains" every now and then.

-PEACE-

Boromir
VIP

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2004, 07:23:00 AM »

There was an update on his site, which says:

30 SEPT - since, the rumors are already flyin', I might as well say...    I was asked to join Guns-n-Roses two months ago.  It's not definitely happenin', we're just feelin' it out.  When decisions have been made, I'll let y'all know    Smiley  Just so we're clear - I AM NOT IN G-n-R.  We talked - that's it.

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2004, 08:54:56 AM »

well, i don't think he's all that. Axl shoud get Doug Aldrich. i was opening for whitesnake ( he's tourging with WS now) and he is by far the best guitar player i've seen. way better than slash and BH. and to make it all better he, like slash, seems to be a very down to earth kinda-guy. he is using les pauls wich obviously made me think of GNR. such a gifted player and i think he's up for grabs if axl would make that call.

Chinese Democracy!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: